Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 02:51 PM   #1301
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino View Post
It's not $500,000 more..... buying him out saves $1.5 million on the cap this year.
And sending him to the minors saves ~$960k on the cap this year. So it only saves $500k more to buy him out vs just burying him in the minors.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:56 PM   #1302
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't see it. Our org hates buying people out. Our owners are a lot more stingy than people like to think.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:06 PM   #1303
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
I don't see it. Our org hates buying people out. Our owners are a lot more stingy than people like to think.
I am not sure stingy is the correct term. They don't write cheques to allow the GM tompaynhisnway out of a mistake he made. The Flames did eat half of Hagman's salty so he could play for the Ducks. They also let the Flames spend to the $75M cap with the Canadian dollar where it is.

At the same time does a GM want to ask the owners to pay for a mistake he made? That is certainly a mark against a GM from an ownership standpoint
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 03:06 PM   #1304
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd just trade Bouma for whatever you can get in return. Cut ties without buying him out. He must have some value, even if it's for a 5th or a 6th rounder. Just trade him, there is no space for him in the lineup.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:06 PM   #1305
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

There's no way in hell we buy out either or. In case anyone forgot Stajan had a pretty good season last year and is still very much useful. Bouma although grossly overpaid can still be an effective bottom 6 forward and we can always bury him in the minors if need be.
The Following User Says Thank You to locsofblu For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 03:08 PM   #1306
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
I'd just trade Bouma for whatever you can get in return. Cut ties without buying him out. He must have some value, even if it's for a 5th or a 6th rounder. Just trade him, there is no space for him in the lineup.
In what world does a team take on a $2.2M salary for a player that is barely an NHLer? Bouma is likely unmovable and almost certainly unmovable where the Flames do not take a contract or salary back
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 03:10 PM   #1307
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
In what world does a team take on a $2.2M salary for a player that is barely an NHLer? Bouma is likely unmovable and almost certainly unmovable where the Flames do not take a contract or salary back
Never took the contract into account. Guess it's the old Bollig treatment then.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:11 PM   #1308
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I am not sure stingy is the correct term. They don't write cheques to allow the GM tompaynhisnway out of a mistake he made. The Flames did eat half of Hagman's salty so he could play for the Ducks. They also let the Flames spend to the $75M cap with the Canadian dollar where it is.

At the same time does a GM want to ask the owners to pay for a mistake he made? That is certainly a mark against a GM from an ownership standpoint
Interesting...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to H2SO4(aq) For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 03:47 PM   #1309
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but the buyout window closes at 3PM MT tomorrow and you need to put a player on waivers for 24 hours before you buy the player out. So it is safe to say we are not buying anyone out during this buyout window.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:52 PM   #1310
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
I wouldn't say it's a stingy thing. Buying a player out costs less than keeping him around or burying him in the AHL.

I know Burke has said in the past that he doesn't like buying out players because he believes GMs should have to live with their mistakes. Of course, that didn't stop the Flames from buying out Raymond last year.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:00 PM   #1311
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think as fans we under rate the reluctance of organizations to take on bad contracts and the impact they have on the bottom line. Forgetting about the cap, Bouma costs you $1.5 million more than a replacement player. That's a non starter for some teams.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:05 PM   #1312
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would rather the Flames retain some dollars until Bouma is palatable for another team looking for a type of player like Bouma. Flames retain 1 million, and I bet a few teams around the NHL would probably be interested. Saves the Flames from buying him out or burying him, and won't affect the cap next season.

Same thing with Stajan, although in his case, he might have value on his own to a team that is both lacking in depth and lacking in cash. His cap hit is greater than his salary (though not by a substantial amount). Retain a bit more on Stajan, and I bet a number of teams come sniffing.

It makes more sense to retain on a trade than to bury them as well, since the Flames have some some depth.

Lazar, Foo, Jankowski, Hathaway - all players that either make the team outright out of camp, or are replacement level players on the cheap.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Jankowski - Bennett - Versteeg
Hathaway - Lazar - Brouwer

Still have Foo who sounds he is replacement-level at this point (maybe better, maybe worse), Poirier if he is doing well personally, Shinkaruk, Klimchuk and maybe Pribyl. These are all prospects that could probably benefit from a short stretch when injuries arise that should more or less be replacement-level.

If Treliving acquires another forward, even more reason to start calling teams on Bouma and/or Stajan and see if teams can be enticed with some retention. Might be a taker especially near the start of a season if teams experience a few injuries during the preseason.

Buying out just pushes a problem into next season. Rather the Flames just either retain on trade, or bury in the AHL.

After Stajan's play last season, I didn't think there would be any need to address his spot at all. This team is really getting deeper.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:06 PM   #1313
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Andy Strickland‏@andystrickland
Early talk on Brian Elliott is 3 years with #Flyers $2.75 per
Old 06-29-2017, 04:21 PM   #1314
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Andy Strickland‏@andystrickland
Early talk on Brian Elliott is 3 years with #Flyers $2.75 per
Good luck with that, Philly. They really need a reliable starter, not sure he's that guy.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:23 PM   #1315
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Good luck with that, Philly. They really need a reliable starter, not sure he's that guy.
Hope it works out for the guy. I'm sure the goalie graveyard that is Philadelphia will be a perfect spot for him to rekindle the dying embers of a career he has left.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:51 PM   #1316
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Commodore has been known to post nonsense in the past, so probably not correct, but still:

Mike Commodore‏ @commie22
The Justin Williams sweepstakes is down to 3 teams...The Calgary Flames. The Edmonton Oilers. The Nashville Predators. #Insiderr
Old 06-29-2017, 05:53 PM   #1317
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

What if the UFA that called Tre is Jagr? Could you imagine that bull alongside Johnny and Mony? Lol
Old 06-29-2017, 06:01 PM   #1318
nightfx
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Would slightly prefer Williams over Marleau
The Following User Says Thank You to nightfx For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 06:05 PM   #1319
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could definitely see Williams being the veteran that reached out to Tree earlier in the week, that'd be an interesting get.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:07 PM   #1320
gilligans_off
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Cap wise, What would Williams cost to bring in though? I really wouldn't want anymore then a 1 yr deal either.

Just looked and his last contract 2yrs @ $3.25 he signed when he was 33. This one would be a 35+ contract

Last edited by gilligans_off; 06-29-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Closed Thread