Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2014, 06:25 PM   #1301
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

My top prospects:

Monahan, Gaudreau, Baertschi, Granlund, Poirier

My 'solid, likely to be NHLers' list (excluding above):

Ortio, Wotherspoon, Reinhart, Arnold, Knight

My 'lot's of potential' list (exc above):

Gillies, Jankowski, Klimchuk, Ferland, Sieloff

Overall, I would list them as:

Monahan
Gaudreau
Baertschi
Granlund
Poirier
Ortio
Wotherspoon
Gillies
Jankowski
Reinhart
Klimchuk
Ferland
Arnold
Knight
Sieloff
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2014, 06:31 PM   #1302
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I would put Gillies and Sieloff in your middle section ahead of Arnold and Knight.

Also Klimchuk is in a similar talent bracket as Poirier, yet is 2 sections below him. Just find that a little strange.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:59 PM   #1303
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I would put Gillies and Sieloff in your middle section ahead of Arnold and Knight.

Also Klimchuk is in a similar talent bracket as Poirier, yet is 2 sections below him. Just find that a little strange.
I kept each section to 5 players, so no room for Klimchuk in the top 5

The section section was for being NHL-ready, and Knight and Arnold are closer than Gillies and Sieloff. The third section was for potential and they show up there

When looking at prospects, it is always a juggling act between readiness and potential (who is a better prospect, Reinhart or Gillies?). So I prefer to separate them.

Last edited by Enoch Root; 03-12-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #1304
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Arnold's won a national championship and ARGUABLY plays in a tougher conference. Also made a World Junior team. Little things like that put him slightly ahead of Knight for me.
If Knight was American he likely would have made a World Junior team as well. No disrespect to Arnold, but if he was Canadian he may not have even been invited to the selection camp.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2014, 08:48 AM   #1305
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I don't think there's even a guarantee that Agostino gets signed by Burke.

We all know what he thought of the Iginla and Bouwmeester returns. Cundari and Berra are gone. Pens fans weren't really lamenting the loss of Agostino. It really was just Weisbrod loving the kid. Not sure if the rest of the hockey world has the same view of Agostino. As we all know, Weisbrod doesn't share the same view of players as the rest of the league.

There are plenty of point per game players in the NCAA.
Burke would be a fool not to sign Agostino. The kid is everything that Burke talks about wanting on the Flames. Sounds like your comments are based on looking at stats and not performance. Agostino is Mr. Everything for Yale. He's all character and is a big game player. You win championships because of players like Agostino. Not signing him would really make me question Burke's mental capacity. You'd be crazy to bypass a player of Agostino's potential.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2014, 09:06 AM   #1306
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

I didn't mean to rag on Agostino; I just meant he shouldn't be ahead of Reinhart especially. I'd probably put Janko, Wotherspoon & Gillies ahead of him as well. Sieloff would be on the list if it weren't for the setback this season.

This doesn't mean Agostino isn't a great prospect; it's a testament to how much our prospect pool has improved. If this were 2010 a player like Agostino would likely be in our top 5 prospects!

I was a big fan of his play in the Frozen Four last season. Outside of Poirier & Klimchuck I think Agostino is the best asset we acquired out of the Iggy & Bow trades.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:17 AM   #1307
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Under-25-y-o forwards depth chart next season. Exciting to have so much in the pipeline!

Gaudreau Monahan Colborne
Baertschi Backlund Poirier
Klimchuck Granlund Byron
Bouma Knight Reinhart
Agostino Arnold Hanowski
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameZilla For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2014, 09:46 AM   #1308
Dienasty
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The whole Knight vs Arnold debate:

Personally I think that Knight has a much higher liklihood of filling a top 6 role. His vision on the ice is tremendous, and he has a very good release on his shot (look at the highlights of his goals in abbotsford)

Arnold has the higher floor (not by much) but I don't see him ever cracking the top 6 forwards in the NHL. He could eventually be an effective 2 way 3rd line center (ie: Blair Betts). I think looking at his points in college will lead to a bit of a mirage, the guy is on a line with Jonny Hockey, who has been the best player (IMO) in college hockey for 2 straight years, and was over a point a game as a true freshman. A lot of Arnolds assists are him chipping the puck out and Gaudreau making something out of nothing. (Not saying it is a bad thing that Arnold is getting the puck out, just that a lot of those points wouldn't be there)

Knight in my opinion is closer to NHL ready, and has more upside. Personally I would have Knight higher on my list.
Dienasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:15 AM   #1309
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameZilla View Post
Under-25-y-o forwards depth chart next season. Exciting to have so much in the pipeline!

Gaudreau Monahan Colborne
Baertschi Backlund Poirier
Klimchuck Granlund Byron
Bouma Knight Reinhart
Agostino Arnold Hanowski
Plus our first rounder this year potentially, and an early second rounder.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:47 PM   #1310
Scoutski
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not sure if this is in this thread elsewhere, but I occasionally read Bleacher report who have ranked each franchise's prospect pools. I felt like Calgary was around 10-15 so I was pleasantly surprised that they ranked them as 8 (Coilers were 18 hah)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...adline/page/24
Scoutski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scoutski For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2014, 04:50 PM   #1311
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it too early to get excited about the prospect tournament in the summer? I sure hope they put it on again.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:02 PM   #1312
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutski View Post
Not sure if this is in this thread elsewhere, but I occasionally read Bleacher report who have ranked each franchise's prospect pools. I felt like Calgary was around 10-15 so I was pleasantly surprised that they ranked them as 8 (Coilers were 18 hah)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...adline/page/24
"In net, the team has no fewer than three potential NHL goalies in the system"

... Gillies, Ortio, aaaaaand ......?!?
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:06 PM   #1313
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
"In net, the team has no fewer than three potential NHL goalies in the system"

... Gillies, Ortio, aaaaaand ......?!?
That stood out to me too. Obviously did enough research to realize Brossoit was traded. Either that or he was counting Berra.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:48 PM   #1314
Scoutski
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Roy?
Scoutski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:49 PM   #1315
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutski View Post
Roy?
not a chance
Old 03-13-2014, 10:44 PM   #1316
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agostino in the July camp showed some determination in his game (second efforts on plays etc) but was inconsistent in doing that. If he can continue improving on his consistency, he could be an NHL player. Not too sure on his offensive abilities though. Not sure it is high enough for him to be more than a 3rd/4th liner.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:32 PM   #1317
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Agostino's point total looks bad because his team is dog ####. He is getting 5 SOG per game. Which is insane in the NCAA. He has some bad luck that is all. He is a very intriguing prospect.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:18 AM   #1318
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dienasty View Post
The whole Knight vs Arnold debate:

Personally I think that Knight has a much higher liklihood of filling a top 6 role. His vision on the ice is tremendous, and he has a very good release on his shot (look at the highlights of his goals in abbotsford)

Arnold has the higher floor (not by much) but I don't see him ever cracking the top 6 forwards in the NHL. He could eventually be an effective 2 way 3rd line center (ie: Blair Betts). I think looking at his points in college will lead to a bit of a mirage, the guy is on a line with Jonny Hockey, who has been the best player (IMO) in college hockey for 2 straight years, and was over a point a game as a true freshman. A lot of Arnolds assists are him chipping the puck out and Gaudreau making something out of nothing. (Not saying it is a bad thing that Arnold is getting the puck out, just that a lot of those points wouldn't be there)

Knight in my opinion is closer to NHL ready, and has more upside. Personally I would have Knight higher on my list.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=123266

If memory serves, this is Arnold's first season playing with Gaudreau. I believe last season, they were put together late in the season. Arnold has been a very strong two-way player for his entire time at BC - not just when paired up with Gaudreau. You also have to factor in how well Arnold fits in with someone of Gaudreau's ability - he is not just 'leaching off' Gaudreau, but he adds a whole lot to that line.

Knight payed with Danny Kristo in his time at UND, and I think Rocco Grimaldi who hockeyDB is listing as a F, not a C (UND followers can chime in here and let us know who his linemates really were over his career there).

These are two very legitimate prospects, and my best is that they are a lot closer in ranking than most people think they are. They both come from excellent NCAA programs, and have both made huge contributions to their teams as being very good 2-way players capable of playing defence, aggressively hitting and battling, and being able to not only handle playmaking, but also scoring.

I think you can make legitimate arguments for favoring one more than the other - but I don't think they are far apart at all.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2014, 06:04 AM   #1319
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Agostino in the July camp showed some determination in his game (second efforts on plays etc) but was inconsistent in doing that. If he can continue improving on his consistency, he could be an NHL player. Not too sure on his offensive abilities though. Not sure it is high enough for him to be more than a 3rd/4th liner.
Agostino is similar to what Colin Patterson would have been on the '89 Flames. He can comfortably play in all situations and contribute. He's a guy that is on the ice in the final minute of a hockey game, regardless of whether you are winning or losing. The closest comparable on the current roster would be Backlund. Agostini has a great skillset, but the most important thing that makes him a strong player is his commitment and desire to win.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2014, 09:04 AM   #1320
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bill Arnold gets some love from the Boston Globe: http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...hiK/story.html

Quote:
Arnold isn’t the Eagles’ highest-scoring forward, nor is he flashy. Instead, the senior is cut from the same mold as Bruins center Patrice Bergeron — determined defensively, strong on faceoffs, and a superb setup man.

“Billy was always, as he is today, incredibly responsible in all areas of the ice,’’ said Noble and Greenough hockey coach Brian Day, who played Arnold and Hayes on the same line. “Billy’s very, very talented. Both guys are very unselfish players. They really cared about the team and each other. I’m not surprised at all with the success they are having playing together right now because we saw it.

“Billy might be the best all-around player that I’ve coached in terms of doing all the little things right. He took great pride in that.’’