Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 11:26 AM   #1301
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
I'm looking for a USB - Game port adaptor.

I have an old Logitech Wingman Joystick (15 pin) that I would like to use with my new Dell PC. (USB ports only)

I have found a couple on the net but would like a local (Calgary) supplier if available.

TXS in advance.

check out Radio Shack (or whatever they're called now). I know they have PS2/Xbox to USB converters.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:32 PM   #1302
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I'm having quality problems with watching 'any' video.

TSN, sportsnet....any online video...along with Divx or even DVDs....the quality is brutal, and there is a consistant glare in the background.

I tried adjusting the brightness....but I get the same brutal quality.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:24 PM   #1303
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I think I fixed the video problem.

Now my computer is restarting everytime I plug something into the USB slot.

help?
Old 11-02-2007, 02:38 PM   #1304
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I think I fixed the video problem.

Now my computer is restarting everytime I plug something into the USB slot.

help?
Assuming XP.....

It is probably a driver issue. When you plug something into your USB the system crashes, and if you look in your Control Panel, System, Advanced, Startup And Recovery tab you will probably see it checked beside Reboot after a system crash.

Check your Event Manager - it probably will tell you what is happening. You may also want to uncheck that reboot box and write down the error so you can look it up later (this mean you will need to hardboot your system).
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 11-02-2007, 04:40 PM   #1305
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Thanks Bobblehead....I'll reinstall the drivers and see if that helps any.

Well that seems to have fixed it. I plugged 3 different things in....and everything was fine.

I'll check the 'restart automatically' box and see if it will restart.

Still good.

Everything seems to work now.

Thanks!

Last edited by Azure; 11-02-2007 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:46 PM   #1306
Eddie Bronze
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is anyone else having a problem with iTunes? It was working fine yesterday and then I went to use it last night and it said there was an update so I did the update and it hasn't been working properly since. I tried deleting all the registry values with iTunes and removing every file with the word iTunes in it by doing a search and then re-installing and it's still giving me the same error message. Is there a problem with the new download or am I looking at another problem specific to this POS computer I'm running?

Old 11-10-2007, 02:47 PM   #1307
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Here is a great piece of software that will backup all of your device drivers.
http://www.innovative-sol.com/drivermax/

Burn that folder to a cd, and then if and when you reinstall windows, you wont have to go running all around trying to find obscure drivers for things...
Old 11-11-2007, 06:26 PM   #1308
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I've recently bought a DELL for my grandparents to surf the net and use e-mail, I figure it would be simple for them to use. Unfortunately, as all new computers are preloaded with Vista, I have no choice but to use it.

My problem is this, 50% of all e-mails my grandfather reads are those cheesy powerpoint slideshows set to music that his friends and family send to him. Try as I might, I cannot get him to remember the steps neccessary to save an attachment to the harddrive so he can open it it, he needs to open the attachment right from the paperclip in Microsoft Mail (the Vista replacement for Outlook).

Long story short, the system comes with MS Office Powerpoint Viewer which lets you view but not edit/create PPTs. The problem is that whenever you click on a .ppt file (open attachment) the system claims that file association is not setup and to do so in the control panel. I of course, have set up the file association, I've even tried to save the file to the harddrive and told Windows to remember to open the file everytime with the PPT Viewer. The association works when you save the file to your drive, it does not work (just comes up with the error that there is no program associated with the program, gives you no options to choose a program) when you try to open it as an attachment inside Microsoft Mail.

Any ideas what I can do? I don't want to go out and buy a $300 MS Office package only so that my grandparents can click on an attachment and have it execute properly, and they are giving me a hard time about this ("in the old computer I could do this and that, new stuff is broken, etc.")

This is something that's definetely a Microsoft bug that needs to be fixed, where do I even go to report it? I am afraid to touch the labyrinthine bureucracy that is Microsoft support.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:10 AM   #1309
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I've recently bought a DELL for my grandparents to surf the net and use e-mail, I figure it would be simple for them to use. Unfortunately, as all new computers are preloaded with Vista, I have no choice but to use it.

My problem is this, 50% of all e-mails my grandfather reads are those cheesy powerpoint slideshows set to music that his friends and family send to him. Try as I might, I cannot get him to remember the steps neccessary to save an attachment to the harddrive so he can open it it, he needs to open the attachment right from the paperclip in Microsoft Mail (the Vista replacement for Outlook).

Long story short, the system comes with MS Office Powerpoint Viewer which lets you view but not edit/create PPTs. The problem is that whenever you click on a .ppt file (open attachment) the system claims that file association is not setup and to do so in the control panel. I of course, have set up the file association, I've even tried to save the file to the harddrive and told Windows to remember to open the file everytime with the PPT Viewer. The association works when you save the file to your drive, it does not work (just comes up with the error that there is no program associated with the program, gives you no options to choose a program) when you try to open it as an attachment inside Microsoft Mail.

Any ideas what I can do? I don't want to go out and buy a $300 MS Office package only so that my grandparents can click on an attachment and have it execute properly, and they are giving me a hard time about this ("in the old computer I could do this and that, new stuff is broken, etc.")

This is something that's definetely a Microsoft bug that needs to be fixed, where do I even go to report it? I am afraid to touch the labyrinthine bureucracy that is Microsoft support.
I'm not sure if this will help but I thought I'd toss it out there:

Under "Options" > "Security", ensure that the second checkbox is not toggled ("Do Not Allow Attachments to be Saved or Opened....").

Another thing I thought of is perhaps you're trying to open the new version of Power Point file (.pptx). Make sure that both .ppt and .pptx are associated with the viewer and that the viewer itself can handle the new file format.

I hope this helps, but if I think of anything else I post it. Good luck!
Old 11-13-2007, 01:33 PM   #1310
foofighter15
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I can't get my iTunes running. When I go to open it the window doesn't show up, and nothing down in the start bar along the bottom.
I've tried uninstalling, then re-installing and that doesn't work. Any ideas other then reformating?
Feel free to PM me
Old 11-14-2007, 09:16 PM   #1311
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to be in California next week and plan on some electronics shopping. I have some questions for those who might know these.

- MP3s: Anyone have any recommendation on those big ones (I've looked at Archos) with the screens for watching movies? Good choice? What about Creative Labs, Sandisk and Samsung as manufacturers?
- Sling Box: Sling Box Pro goes for $230 at BestBuy. Don't know what they cost in the States but I figure I might be able to get it for $160 or so cdn. these things are cool, but do others find them useful?
Old 11-14-2007, 09:41 PM   #1312
Eddie Bronze
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofighter15 View Post
I can't get my iTunes running. When I go to open it the window doesn't show up, and nothing down in the start bar along the bottom.
I've tried uninstalling, then re-installing and that doesn't work. Any ideas other then reformating?
Feel free to PM me
See my post above, I'm also having problems with iTunes. I did a complete format of my hard drive tonight and downloaded the file and when I went to do a fresh install I got the exact same error message as the one I posted above. There must be a problem with the current file they have available. It seems to be missing files.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:45 PM   #1313
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I'm going to be in California next week and plan on some electronics shopping. I have some questions for those who might know these.

- MP3s: Anyone have any recommendation on those big ones (I've looked at Archos) with the screens for watching movies? Good choice? What about Creative Labs, Sandisk and Samsung as manufacturers?
- Sling Box: Sling Box Pro goes for $230 at BestBuy. Don't know what they cost in the States but I figure I might be able to get it for $160 or so cdn. these things are cool, but do others find them useful?
I think my Creative Vision:m is great. I highly recommend it.

I have a sling box, too. It does come in handy. I've used it when I had to work but still wanted to follow the WJC. Over the internet the picture is OK, but it is tough to watch hockey (the fast motion with the small puck), but regular shows is fine. It actually gets used the most when my wife or I don't want to watch what the other is watching, we can wander off to some other quiet spot in the house and watch what we want (it does work well over my wireless network, making a very portable tv).
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 11-14-2007, 09:58 PM   #1314
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I'm looking to upgrade my LCD computer screen to a 22" widescreen.

Not familar with what's a good or bad brand name. If anyone can steer me in the right direction in reagrds to a good model i'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-14-2007, 10:02 PM   #1315
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have this monitor and I am quite happy with it.

22" Samsung LCD.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:42 PM   #1316
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post

22" Samsung LCD.
That Samsung seems to be the preferred 22" model out today. Lots of good reports.

Myself, I'm looking at the Benq 22 model because it has the extra HDMI input. It's cheaper but comes with poorer contrast and response time. Anybody tried this model?
Old 11-15-2007, 12:53 AM   #1317
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm

Last edited by J pold; 11-15-2007 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:51 PM   #1318
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I'm looking to upgrade my LCD computer screen to a 22" widescreen.

Not familar with what's a good or bad brand name. If anyone can steer me in the right direction in reagrds to a good model i'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance
How much do you care about screen quality? Pretty much all 22" LCD's are TN panels which are 6-bit. You'll see some of dithering of colors. If you want 8-bit panels you'll have to down to 20" or up to 24" LCD's. There are TN panels for those sizes too but also higher quality panels such as S-IPS, MVA, PVA that are 8-bit panels. These panels also for the most part have better viewing angles than TN panels. If your firm on getting a 22" than look for features such as number of inputs, type of inputs(HDMI, DVI-D, VGA, component), HDCP compatibility if that's important to you, tilt adjustment, height adjustment. Sorry for not recommending a specific monitor but hope this helps.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:16 PM   #1319
foofighter15
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Bronze View Post
See my post above, I'm also having problems with iTunes. I did a complete format of my hard drive tonight and downloaded the file and when I went to do a fresh install I got the exact same error message as the one I posted above. There must be a problem with the current file they have available. It seems to be missing files.
That's weird because it happened to me right after a friend re-formated my computer.
I'm not getting that same message you are. With mine everything acts as if its running. The tasks thing says it running, when I turn off the computer it says its ending the iTunes task. But there is no window, nothing down in the tray or start bar.
Did you get yours working yet?
Old 11-15-2007, 02:25 PM   #1320
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post

22" Samsung LCD.
Thanks