Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2024, 05:55 PM   #13061
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Trump is now blaming Alina Habba for the EJ Carroll verdict.

Quote:
Late Tuesday night, Trump posted that he was "interviewing various law firms" to represent him in appealing the verdict, which he called a "witch hunt" and a "sham" presided over by a "highly partisan, Trump hating judge."
Quote:
Following Habba's lackluster performance in the courtroom, a clip went viral of an interview in which Habba said she would rather be "pretty" than "smart," adding that she can "fake being smart." CNN reporter Jake Tapper cut away from her press gaggle during her remarks in which she aired grievances about being "stripped" of all of her defenses.

"So you're getting an idea now about why Donald Trump's attorney is perceived as effective as she is, which is not particularly effective," Tapper said.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/polit...055ef382&ei=14
Old 01-31-2024, 06:11 PM   #13062
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2024, 07:21 PM   #13063
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

He mentions at the end what I've heard from other lawyers.. Habba made any ability to appeal really difficult by not objecting and not preserving issues that could be relevant to appeal during the trial.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2024, 07:45 PM   #13064
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
He mentions at the end what I've heard from other lawyers.. Habba made any ability to appeal really difficult by not objecting and not preserving issues that could be relevant to appeal during the trial.
Huh…. Who knew stiffing it to every legal representative you’ve ever had would eventually come back to bite you.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2024, 08:04 PM   #13065
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
I wonder what some of those swing state voters are looking for from Biden. Economy is doing well, inflation is coming down, unemployment is near record lows, something like 14 million jobs created since he took office.
Inflation is coming down, but to a lot of people that's simply not good enough. They saw prices increase dramatically over the past 3 years, and they want to see prices go down to close to what they were before the jump. Obviously that's not going to happen. Nevertheless, people are traumatized by the high prices, and blaming Biden is the easy, impulsive thing to do. Is if fair? Hell no. Is it reasonable? Hell no. But voters do it anyway. At least, enough voters do it to possibly swing results in swing states.

The genocide of the Palistinians in Gaza is another big problem for Biden. But he's in a no-win situation because if he reduces or stops funding to Israel, he will face a backlash from jewish voters.

His approval rating is 39%, which is even lower than Trump's was during the pandemic. For context, Trump's approval following the January 6 riot was 38%.

Biden is in a ton of trouble. One poll or a few polls can be wrong, but when you get a very large series of polls over an extended period of time that all point ot the same thing, it would be foolish to ignore the overall conclusion they are pointing to.

I'm pissed by this whole thing. Biden has put himself and his hubris ahead of what's best for the country. As a result, an outright fascist psychopath may be heading right back to the WH. And if it happens, I will bet you any amount of money that the 2nd Trump presidency will be MUCH more damaging to America and the world than the first one was.

But no, as for your comment about America "deserving it". No, I can't agree with that. It's far too simplistic. Those who vote for Biden don't deserve what comes next if Trump wins the election. Neither does the world.

Last edited by Mathgod; 01-31-2024 at 08:10 PM.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 08:18 PM   #13066
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Those are mostly abstract things. In terms of Real Income, most swing states aren't doing as well. Wisconsin's Real Median Income peaked in 2019, but is currently below where it was in the 1990s. Ohio's also peaked in 2019, and is now at year 2000 levels. Michigan hit its 2nd highest level in 2019, but is now just about where it was in the late '80s.

That's not to say that Trump's policies won't just make that worse, because they likely almost surely will. But for people who have seen 5-10% drops in Real Wages since 2019 like virtually every swing state has, a hot stock market or high GDP numbers aren't particularly convincing. "America is already great" didn't work for Clinton in 2016 because people in swing states weren't happy, and I doubt "the economy is doing great" will work in those places now.
And the most disturbing part about that is Trump's tax cut was a very large contributor to the inflation. So people are going to wrongfully blame Biden for the inflation, and obliviously vote back in the guy who caused much of the inflation in the first place. This is the kind of stuff that depresses me. If people were even a little bit less stupid and easily duped, the world would be an enormously better place.
Old 01-31-2024, 08:45 PM   #13067
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Inflation is coming down, but to a lot of people that's simply not good enough. They saw prices increase dramatically over the past 3 years, and they want to see prices go down to close to what they were before the jump. Obviously that's not going to happen. Nevertheless, people are traumatized by the high prices, and blaming Biden is the easy, impulsive thing to do. Is if fair? Hell no. Is it reasonable? Hell no. But voters do it anyway. At least, enough voters do it to possibly swing results in swing states.

The genocide of the Palistinians in Gaza is another big problem for Biden. But he's in a no-win situation because if he reduces or stops funding to Israel, he will face a backlash from jewish voters.

His approval rating is 39%, which is even lower than Trump's was during the pandemic. For context, Trump's approval following the January 6 riot was 38%.

Biden is in a ton of trouble. One poll or a few polls can be wrong, but when you get a very large series of polls over an extended period of time that all point ot the same thing, it would be foolish to ignore the overall conclusion they are pointing to.

I'm pissed by this whole thing. Biden has put himself and his hubris ahead of what's best for the country. As a result, an outright fascist psychopath may be heading right back to the WH. And if it happens, I will bet you any amount of money that the 2nd Trump presidency will be MUCH more damaging to America and the world than the first one was.

But no, as for your comment about America "deserving it". No, I can't agree with that. It's far too simplistic. Those who vote for Biden don't deserve what comes next if Trump wins the election. Neither does the world.
#### off with this ####. It's not genocide. That's what Hamas wanted to do to any and every Israeli they could find.

I'm so tired of the gross mischaracterization of these events.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2024, 09:24 PM   #13068
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
#### off with this ####. It's not genocide. That's what Hamas wanted to do to any and every Israeli they could find.

Say that's what Hamas wanted to do. Well...they didn't. They didn't commit genocide.

Israel is actively committing genocide, though.

P.S. Why are you swearing at other posters? That's psycho lol.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2024, 10:18 PM   #13069
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
And the most disturbing part about that is Trump's tax cut was a very large contributor to the inflation. So people are going to wrongfully blame Biden for the inflation, and obliviously vote back in the guy who caused much of the inflation in the first place. This is the kind of stuff that depresses me. If people were even a little bit less stupid and easily duped, the world would be an enormously better place.
And inflation is basically a global issue at this point in time. Still it goes back to the infamous line, it’s the economy stupid and here we are, people will vote in dumb ways when they feel the economic situation they are in is threatened.

I still think that this race is too close to call even with Trumps favourable ratings right now. It’s a weird race with an incumbent in both parties, one of whom has been campaigning for the entire time and has an absolutely dedicated base who can’t be peeled away. I think this is his high water mark though and from here the only question is if Biden can peel away enough support to win it.
Whynotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 10:25 PM   #13070
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Has anyone coined ‘Bidenflation’ yet?
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 11:29 AM   #13071
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post

If you still can't see this is a total genocide with all the #### Israel has been doing and what's coming out in the ICJ, you're either ignorant or in total denial.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 11:57 AM   #13072
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's keep the Bagor thread in the Bagor thread.
Old 02-01-2024, 12:14 PM   #13073
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

No kidding this thread is already enough of a dumpster fire. If it’s gonna become that too just lock it and start a new one.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 12:30 PM   #13074
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
No kidding this thread is already enough of a dumpster fire. If it’s gonna become that too just lock it and start a new one.

I think this and a couple others on top here are probably due for a x.0 update, tbqh.
Old 02-01-2024, 12:31 PM   #13075
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post

I think this and a couple others on top here are probably due for a x.0 update, tbqh.

American Politics 4.0 - Neverending Election Season?
Old 02-01-2024, 12:33 PM   #13076
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

American Politics 4.0 - Descent into Fascism
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 12:42 PM   #13077
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

American Politics 4.0 WTF?
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 01:27 PM   #13078
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

'Murica Politics Thread 1.0
Old 02-01-2024, 02:20 PM   #13079
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think we Canadians better start triggering more republicans so they get a move on with the border wall to Canada. I think we are going to need it.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 03:21 PM   #13080
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

American Politics 4.0 - It Was The Song That Never Ends, Yes It Goes On And On My Friends.