Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 12:25 PM   #13021
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would think before the expansion draft. Teams may want to make deals that could impact their protection lists.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2021, 12:41 PM   #13022
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
Like I said, that is how Phaneuf type trades happen.
You know what happens when you don't "make changes for the sake of change"?

Nothing.

So if you're actually content with the way this team is built, and odly enough there are some who are, then you make up another excuse for last season, convince yourself that this time a new coach will fix everything and start looking at who's available in next year's draft at around the 12-13 spot.

I just don't know how fans can actually be content with this team when they've showed time and time again that they're no good. They aren't a team full of 20 year old's who needed more experience and they can "build off of last year". There are some players who I think are part of the solution but there are more players that aren't. Again, that's not to say they're bad players but it just isn't working out. They should be looking to overhaul the team to try and inject some life into it because other than a few flashes here and there, this team looks like they've just been going through the motions for the past couple of years.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:44 PM   #13023
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Normally, no.

When it comes to this teams performance the last 3 seasons (2 1/2 more specifically) yes you do.

Im in the minority I know, but this club is/can be much better than it has shown. It has stagnated however so beyond the coaching change something has to happen in the room.

Your choices are Monahan, Gaudreau, Backlund (with a NT list) and far more unlikely Tkachuk.

One (maybe 2 but doubtful) of them will not be on this team next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
If you try and force it in season I agree which is why it is extremely critical the Flames make significant changes in the offseason.

This group has failed 3 straight postseasons and a change needs to be made. I think they need to move at least 1 (but hopefully more) of the following players: Gio, Backlund, Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk. Who have been the only constants on this roster for the last 5 years.

I do see a scenario where Gaudreau and Tkachuk are retained but I think it is more likely that one of them is moved this summer.

Treliving cannot quadruple down on this group. Luckily there were a lot of teams that really disappointed this year so there could be a few trade partners out there
I don’t disagree with you guys and my list is Backlund, Gio and Monahan because I remain hopeful we can retain both Johnny and Tkachuk.

Having said that, I still don’t want to trade Monahan for peanuts and I would entertain trading Backlund before him anyways.

If Monahan’s value is sewered you hang onto him and move the elder statesmen of the team first.

I don’t really get why more people aren’t talking about trying to trade Backlund with all this changes to the core talk?

Johnny and Tkachuk have shown they can be part of the solution here so if they are willing to re-sign at a fair AAV and term you do it.

Trading those two, Monahan and Gio have been talked about extensively but everyone seems to steer clear of our longest serving forward.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:46 PM   #13024
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
I don’t disagree with you guys and my list is Backlund, Gio and Monahan because I remain hopeful we can retain both Johnny and Tkachuk.

Having said that, I still don’t want to trade Monahan for peanuts and I would entertain trading Backlund before him anyways.

If Monahan’s value is sewered you hang onto him and move the elder statesmen of the team first.

I don’t really get why more people aren’t talking about trying to trade Backlund with all this changes to the core talk?

Johnny and Tkachuk have shown they can be part of the solution here so if they are willing to re-sign at a fair AAV and term you do it.

Trading those two, Monahan and Gio have been talked about extensively but everyone seems to steer clear of our longest serving forward.

No trade clause....very limited to where he would agree to go IMO which there by limits the return
Old 06-07-2021, 12:50 PM   #13025
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Like I said, that is how Phaneuf type trades happen.
Well, Phaenuf should have been traded. Sutter messed up by (a) not shopping and (b) trying to disguise the imbalance in value by adding a bunch of players on both sides.

I don't think Treliving will get thumped in any similar trade. He hasn't really been rooked in any trade involving player for player.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:52 PM   #13026
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
You know what happens when you don't "make changes for the sake of change"?

Nothing.

So if you're actually content with the way this team is built, and odly enough there are some who are, then you make up another excuse for last season, convince yourself that this time a new coach will fix everything and start looking at who's available in next year's draft at around the 12-13 spot.

I just don't know how fans can actually be content with this team when they've showed time and time again that they're no good. They aren't a team full of 20 year old's who needed more experience and they can "build off of last year". There are some players who I think are part of the solution but there are more players that aren't. Again, that's not to say they're bad players but it just isn't working out. They should be looking to overhaul the team to try and inject some life into it because other than a few flashes here and there, this team looks like they've just been going through the motions for the past couple of years.
I don’t disagree but trading Monahan, a guy who has been about as consistent as you could hope for outside of the last 2 injury riddled COVID campaigns, for spare parts is not how you inject life into a team that already has offensive woes.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:54 PM   #13027
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Well, Phaenuf should have been traded. Sutter messed up by (a) not shopping and (b) trying to disguise the imbalance in value by adding a bunch of players on both sides.

I don't think Treliving will get thumped in any similar trade. He hasn't really been rooked in any trade involving player for player.
I don’t think so either I went to an extreme to make a point because posters are suggesting we trade Monahan for 3rd liners which is in a sense exactly what Sutter did when he traded Phaneuf for depth players.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:57 PM   #13028
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No trade clause....very limited to where he would agree to go IMO which there by limits the return
Plus he doesn't have the contract issues of Gaudreau and Tkachuk and he's not below his comparables in dollars per point (ignoring his D assignment on this team). And he doesn't have name value like Monahan or Gio.

I like Backs but lots of teams have a Backs.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:58 PM   #13029
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed. I would look at trading anyone and everyone though. They should be able to actually do well if they trade either/both of Gaudreau and Tkachuck. I would shop Backlund and if there isn't interest, make him available in the expansion draft. I would shop Gio now with retained salary or for sure at the deadline. Lindholm I keep unless a team really wants to give up a lot for him and they're going scorched earth (and they're not). I would shop Monahan but I would still expect a solid return, if you're only getting low ball offers, keep him and let him rehab as long as needed until he's completely healed from whatever has been bugging him the past few years. I really think a team would jump at the chance to get Hanifin and if they can really get a "homerun" of a return, I would shop him and I think Andersson is in the same boat.
Old 06-07-2021, 01:03 PM   #13030
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Agreed. I would look at trading anyone and everyone though. They should be able to actually do well if they trade either/both of Gaudreau and Tkachuck. I would shop Backlund and if there isn't interest, make him available in the expansion draft. I would shop Gio now with retained salary or for sure at the deadline. Lindholm I keep unless a team really wants to give up a lot for him and they're going scorched earth (and they're not). I would shop Monahan but I would still expect a solid return, if you're only getting low ball offers, keep him and let him rehab as long as needed until he's completely healed from whatever has been bugging him the past few years. I really think a team would jump at the chance to get Hanifin and if they can really get a "homerun" of a return, I would shop him and I think Andersson is in the same boat.
Oh, I'm not against any trade. But there's no reason to expose him. Tell me someone won't pay for Backlund with salary coming back, or retained salary (which is completely different than Tyler Johnson in waivers).
Old 06-07-2021, 01:15 PM   #13031
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
He has a 10 team trade list so yea I can see that there are limitations but that doesn’t mean there are no interested suitors that he has on his list. It’s not impossible to trade the guy..

If you are advocating the trade returns that have been thrown around for Monahan (not saying you are - just saying) the limits on a return for Backlund should be palatable.
Old 06-07-2021, 01:16 PM   #13032
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Only a 10 team no trade starting this season, so there is some room to maneuver
Old 06-07-2021, 01:29 PM   #13033
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only way you expose Backlund is if you shop him and can't get a return that makes sense.
Old 06-07-2021, 01:36 PM   #13034
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think exposing Backlund makes sense if we use the extra protection spot to acquire a top end forward.
Old 06-07-2021, 01:39 PM   #13035
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lindholm
Gaudreau
Tkachuk
Monahan
Mangiapane
Dube
Backlund

Why are people discussing exposing Backlund? Who the hell is more worthy of a protection slot than Backlund?

The Flames 7-3-1 expansion protection list is pretty cut and dry if you ask me.

Seattle can pick from Giordano, Lucic, Kylington or a expansion draft eligible prospect like Phillips or Ruzicka, which doesn't seem very likely to me.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2021, 01:40 PM   #13036
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I think exposing Backlund makes sense if we use the extra protection spot to acquire a top end forward.
This is the only way it makes sense IMO.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2021, 01:44 PM   #13037
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
This is the only way it makes sense IMO.

The team might decide that losing Backlund is more beneficial than losing Giordano. It would still leave the choice to Seattle, and they might pick Gio anyways. Then, you'd probably have to deal with Backlund's hurt feelings too.
Old 06-07-2021, 01:52 PM   #13038
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
The team might decide that losing Backlund is more beneficial than losing Giordano. It would still leave the choice to Seattle, and they might pick Gio anyways. Then, you'd probably have to deal with Backlund's hurt feelings too.
I think the way that deal would work is the Flames asking Francis if he had the choice between Backlund and Giordano who would he take? If he says he would want Backlund then the Flames could potentially make a deal to acquire a forward from another team and protect that player while exposing Backlund which results in him being picked and Gio being “protected” as a result
Old 06-07-2021, 02:30 PM   #13039
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I think the way that deal would work is the Flames asking Francis if he had the choice between Backlund and Giordano who would he take? If he says he would want Backlund then the Flames could potentially make a deal to acquire a forward from another team and protect that player while exposing Backlund which results in him being picked and Gio being “protected” as a result
Of course Seattle could have its mind changed by another team that wants Gio.

No reason why Francis would show his hand for free. And it likely depends on which other players are available. he likely wouldn't know who he prefers until he sees what his needs are to fill out his roster.
Old 06-07-2021, 03:13 PM   #13040
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Of course Seattle could have its mind changed by another team that wants Gio.

No reason why Francis would show his hand for free. And it likely depends on which other players are available. he likely wouldn't know who he prefers until he sees what his needs are to fill out his roster.
True but if Francis really wants to put the screws to his peers he can do that and it may make business difficult to complete in the future.
Closed Thread