Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 11:00 AM   #13001
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Yeah no idea of the reasoning but I dont have a clue about teh dynamics of that room either. He could be really popular with the guys or one of their leaders or just the cost control going forward....many reasons.

I wouldn't mind the Pinto angle though...just a feeling about that kid who just has gotten better and better.

Pinto, Brown and a flip of 1st's.

Bit of a risk on BT's part so highly unlikely but intriguing player.
I just read the article and White is not excluded from the Sens list but more so the Flames side.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:01 AM   #13002
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Domi, White, Brown.. if any of these guys are traded for Monahan I will be livid.

Lateral moves, at best, is not what this team needs.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:02 AM   #13003
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Are we assuming Ottawa is making the mistake that most Canadian teams make - trying to kick open their contending window instead of letting it take it's natural shape. Which is probably not a bad assumption - as it seems to be a common error.
One thing you look at with the Sens is trying to get Tkachuk on a long term deal. He may have said in his exit interview he wants to start winning right away and won’t sign an extension until he sees what they do to improve the team this summer?
Old 06-07-2021, 11:04 AM   #13004
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
Domi, White, Brown.. if any of these guys are traded for Monahan I will be livid.

What if the deals include futures like picks and prospects?

Let’s get crazy and the Flames trade Tkachuk+ for Eichel and are wanting to keep Lindholm at center. Moving on from Monahan really makes a ton of sense in that scenario
Old 06-07-2021, 11:10 AM   #13005
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I just read the article and White is not excluded from the Sens list but more so the Flames side.
Im just going off this..

Quote:
So if the Sens bring Monahan into the fold, their centre position could conceivably look like this on opening night:

No. 1 C: Sean Monahan

No. 2 C: Josh Norris

No. 3 C: Colin White

No. 4 C: Shane Pinto
Yes Hailey, rightfully, said that if White is the offer, then the Flames might as well just keep Monny.

Also there is proposal in there that suggests Logan Brown, not Connor.

Thats a non-starter.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:10 AM   #13006
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
What if the deals include futures like picks and prospects?

Let’s get crazy and the Flames trade Tkachuk+ for Eichel and are wanting to keep Lindholm at center. Moving on from Monahan really makes a ton of sense in that scenario
Ok fine but I want good prospects and picks and will pass on the 3rd liners coming the other way.

I don’t mind the players per se but the value needs to be in the futures because we already have expensive bottom 6 forwards.

Brown and White don’t really move the needle.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:12 AM   #13007
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Ok fine but I want good prospects and picks and will pass on the 3rd liners coming the other way.

I don’t mind the players per se but the value needs to be in the futures because we already have expensive bottom 6 forwards.
Only Lucic going forward.

Albeit, he is one of the most overpaid 3rd liners in the game.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:17 AM   #13008
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Only Lucic going forward.

Albeit, he is one of the most overpaid 3rd liners in the game.
Also, depending on your viewpoint, Backlund (though I think he's fairly paid in terms of contribution).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2021, 11:21 AM   #13009
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Also, depending on your viewpoint, Backlund (though I think he's fairly paid in terms of contribution).
Yeah he gets enough minutes between PK/PP and when assigned to cover a particular guy that he really isnt a 3rd line guy.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:31 AM   #13010
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah he gets enough minutes between PK/PP and when assigned to cover a particular guy that he really isnt a 3rd line guy.
If it's only Lucic, I would imagine there's planty of teams with at least one overpaid third liner/bottom pairing D. even some top teams (where would Gaborik slot in TB).
Old 06-07-2021, 11:47 AM   #13011
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Maybe if these are the only moves...hard to make any changes if you expect every deal to be a home run though

Last edited by dino7c; 06-07-2021 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:56 AM   #13012
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Maybe if these are the only moves...hard to make any chances if you expect every deal to be a home run though
You don’t makes changes just to make changes.

I know everyone is down on Monahan but when healthy he is a legit 25-30G, 60P top 6 C.

I think his injury concerns, while legitimate, are being blown way out of proportion.

You don’t dump this guy unless it’s fair. It doesn’t have to be a home run but you don’t want another Phaneuf type deal where you take back quantity over quality.

Just keep him and hope he rebounds if that is the case and if the goal is to change up the core look at trading Gio and/or Backlund who’s the longest serving members of the team, the team leaders and their values are about as good as it’s gonna ever be.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:58 AM   #13013
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I know everyone is down on Monahan but when healthy he is a legit 25-30G, 60P top 6 C.

I think his injury concerns, while legitimate, are being blown way out of proportion.

You don’t dump this guy unless it’s fair. It doesn’t have to be a home run but you don’t want another Phaneuf type deal where you take back quantity over quality.

Just keep him and hope he rebounds if that is the case and if the goal is to change up the core look at trading Gio and/or Backlund who’s the longest serving members of the team, the team leaders and their values are about as good as it’s gonna ever be.
At some point you do IMO
Old 06-07-2021, 11:59 AM   #13014
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
At some point you do IMO
Like I said, that is how Phaneuf type trades happen.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:00 PM   #13015
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Or Laine and Roslovic for Dubois!
Old 06-07-2021, 12:00 PM   #13016
Dienasty
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Hope is also not a very good strategy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dienasty For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2021, 12:06 PM   #13017
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:

Normally, no.

When it comes to this teams performance the last 3 seasons (2 1/2 more specifically) yes you do.

Im in the minority I know, but this club is/can be much better than it has shown. It has stagnated however so beyond the coaching change something has to happen in the room.

Your choices are Monahan, Gaudreau, Backlund (with a NT list) and far more unlikely Tkachuk.

One (maybe 2 but doubtful) of them will not be on this team next year.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:19 PM   #13018
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you try and force it in season I agree which is why it is extremely critical the Flames make significant changes in the offseason.

This group has failed 3 straight postseasons and a change needs to be made. I think they need to move at least 1 (but hopefully more) of the following players: Gio, Backlund, Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk. Who have been the only constants on this roster for the last 5 years.

I do see a scenario where Gaudreau and Tkachuk are retained but I think it is more likely that one of them is moved this summer.

Treliving cannot quadruple down on this group. Luckily there were a lot of teams that really disappointed this year so there could be a few trade partners out there
Old 06-07-2021, 12:21 PM   #13019
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pinto, Brown and a flip of 1st's.
That's the exact type of deal the Flames should be making. Something for right now (Brown), something for the future (Pinto), and something that is for way down the line (swap of 1sts). I wonder if they could turn something like one of our 2nds and a player's rights like Lerby into that additional 1st? Could be a transformative move for the team.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:21 PM   #13020
klikitiklik
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quick question.

When should we expect things to start happening as far as trades go date wise? Before the draft after? during?

It is a weird year and things seem to be happening all at once.