Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 09:16 PM   #13001
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, brazeau looks awesome.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:34 PM   #13002
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I remember Josh Teves -- he really stuck out to me at development camp a couple years ago. Very impressive defender, could hang with all of the drafted prospects.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:06 AM   #13003
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully we have the inside track on this kid, kinda like we did with Foo. Those are some nice stats for a college d.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:45 AM   #13004
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Hopefully we have the inside track on this kid, kinda like we did with Foo. Those are some nice stats for a college d.
Foo probably isn’t the best example to bring up. Flames have too many left side defenceman and young too.

He’d have better opportunities elsewhere, especially in Vancouver where he also attended a development camp too.

Flames might be appealing to a big skilled forward though.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:53 AM   #13005
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Foo probably isn’t the best example to bring up.
Why?
He hasn't worked out so far and probably won't but it is still a positive that he chose Calgary. Most prospects don't work out - but you still want to add them to your roster when you have the chance.
It isn't like the Flames made a mistake signing him.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2019, 11:55 AM   #13006
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
he is left shooting as clearly shown in the video AC posted
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
His hockeyDB says right, but if you look at the video I posted he's a lefty.
Ahh my bad didn’t watch the video yet!
Old 03-10-2019, 01:04 PM   #13007
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Why?
He hasn't worked out so far and probably won't but it is still a positive that he chose Calgary. Most prospects don't work out - but you still want to add them to your roster when you have the chance.
I think the point he was making was depth of position. A reason behind Foo signing was speculated to be that the Flames didn't have the depth in his position, so he could slot in earlier.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2019, 04:34 PM   #13008
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
I think the point he was making was depth of position. A reason behind Foo signing was speculated to be that the Flames didn't have the depth in his position, so he could slot in earlier.
In fairness, this was accurate last year.

He got games based on being the only one who could actually step in and not die.

This year, there is better depth, so he's in tough to make the lineup.

Alan Quine basically stole Foo's spot and Foo didn't do much to reclaim it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2019, 05:17 PM   #13009
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Why?
No not a mistake for the Flames. Just that Teves or any free agent MAY look at it and think "well Foo chose Calgary and he's barely gotten a sniff".

And i'm not saying it's the Flames fault either or accusing them of holding Foo down. The fact is, Foo has not produced or earned anything.

It's just that sometimes players / people will look at those types of situations and think negatively of it.

The better example, if i'm trying to sell a college free agent is probably Hathaway or even Giordano.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:53 PM   #13010
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think they'll say "he hasn't got a sniff" a good prospect/player would think "he must not have wanted it enough " or "that is a good team and he just wasn't good enough to make it, if I want to play on a good team I'll really have to show them I have what it takes" or else its "I'll make a crazy YouTube clip of my highlights, send it to the oilers and say that I'm weighing my options then when they outbid everyone, I'll sign a crazy contract and just coast for a few years"
Old 03-11-2019, 04:05 AM   #13011
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I don't think they'll say "he hasn't got a sniff" a good prospect/player would think "he must not have wanted it enough " or "that is a good team and he just wasn't good enough to make it, if I want to play on a good team I'll really have to show them I have what it takes" or else its "I'll make a crazy YouTube clip of my highlights, send it to the oilers and say that I'm weighing my options then when they outbid everyone, I'll sign a crazy contract and just coast for a few years"

The ELC contract tend to be the same for all college UFA’s, the opportunity to play in the NHL is what makes the difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2019, 06:53 AM   #13012
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Wow, brazeau looks awesome.
Doesn't look like he can skate at the NHL level. Might struggle at the AHL level in that area as well. Because of the huge hole in the system I think it is worth a gamble, but I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for him. Has size and shoots from the right side, so if they could sign him and see him be a late bloomer, that would be a good gamble.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:53 AM   #13013
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Doesn't look like he can skate at the NHL level. Might struggle at the AHL level in that area as well. Because of the huge hole in the system I think it is worth a gamble, but I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for him. Has size and shoots from the right side, so if they could sign him and see him be a late bloomer, that would be a good gamble.
I think his skating is on par with Tkachuk from my viewings. That being said he has great hands so with his size he is a guy that would be great to park in front of the net where he screens the goalie well while being a pain to try and push out of there. You are totally right, he would be a gamble but giving him a look in Stockton would be worth it imo. At worst he would be a depth player for the Heat, at best he ends up being a gem.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:27 PM   #13014
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
If Princeton is eliminated tonight 3 college UFAs to watch for, Veronneau and Kuffner from Ottawa and Josh Teves from Calgary
lots of teams will be interested and lots of Canadian teams will be too including the three playing right now (Leafs, Oilers, and Sens)
Has there been much talk about Taro Hirose?

Another Calgarian college player tearing it up:
https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/83462/taro-hirose

5'10", 160 lb LWer but leads the entire NCAA in points with 50 in 36 games.
Compare to Kuffner's 44 in 31, or Veronneau's 37 in 31.
Looks like he's attended Toronto and Detroit development camps before.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1104767718631321607

Quote:
Born​ and raised​ in Calgary,​ Taro​ Hirose grew​ up​ a Flames​ fan.​ The​ 21-year-old​ Michigan​ State forward remembers watching​ in​​ agony as the Flames lost Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals to the Tampa Bay Lightning in 2004.

“I was pretty heartbroken when they lost,” said Hirose, a free agent, who is in Toronto attending the Maple Leafs development camp this week. “I definitely lost some sleep over that game.”

Hirose’s love of the Flames continued, somewhat in passing, after their near-win. But it was when the Flames drafted a diminutive forward in 2011 that his fandom reached a new level. Hirose, himself listed at 5-foot-10, began following the career of Johnny Gaudreau closely. He took notes on Gaudreau’s game when he led the United States to the gold medal at the world juniors championships in 2013 and paid close attention when Gaudreau joined the Flames.

With Gaudreau, Hirose had found a player to model his game after.
https://theathletic.com/75075/2017/0...ith-the-leafs/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2019, 12:38 PM   #13015
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Yeah Hirose is one of the top college UFAs identified by McKenzie, but for being a smaller guy the reports are his skating isn't good. Most of the sleight guys in the NHL need to have great skating if they aren't built like tanks.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:40 PM   #13016
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I think his skating is on par with Tkachuk from my viewings. That being said he has great hands so with his size he is a guy that would be great to park in front of the net where he screens the goalie well while being a pain to try and push out of there. You are totally right, he would be a gamble but giving him a look in Stockton would be worth it imo. At worst he would be a depth player for the Heat, at best he ends up being a gem.
Today in the Athletic Pronman wrote that his skating is very far removed from NHL caliber. He thinks he needs to work hard to get it to at least AHL average to have a shot at making it. Also mentions he doesn't have to be a perfect skater due to his size and skill.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:14 PM   #13017
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Rumor alert

I've heard through the grape vine that the Flames are going to be gunning for Hall in the OS. He wants to play here apparently. Makes sense, hes a CGY boy. The oiler stink is off him.

*Hides*
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Phagoof For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2019, 01:19 PM   #13018
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phagoof View Post
Rumor alert

I've heard through the grape vine that the Flames are going to be gunning for Hall in the OS. He wants to play here apparently. Makes sense, hes a CGY boy. The oiler stink is off him.

*Hides*
That would be some impressive cap work to get him and Chucky signed.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:22 PM   #13019
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
That would be some impressive cap work to get him and Chucky signed.
He only make 6m next season. Easy to fit in with basically any significant salary moved out. (Frolik, Brodie, Stone)

Frolik, 1st, Kylington, prospect for example

Last edited by Phagoof; 03-11-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:28 PM   #13020
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm a big fan of drafting the local Alberta boys, I'd hate to see the Flames have another Brayden Point slip through their fingers.

I'd like to see more dropping back in the draft so as to have more picks to spend on the best Alberta prospects.

Getting Taylor Hall would be wild! I've toyed with the idea a few times myself.
Closed Thread