Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 09:24 AM   #12981
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Kings will give up some solid futures for Laine. I think they get 1 or even both of Laine/Eichel. The Kings are 100% looking to make an impact acquisition this summer and have the cap flexibility and assets to pull it off.

I don’t see a broken down Monahan with 2 years before UFA status being the type of piece the Jackets would covet in a Laine trade.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:40 AM   #12982
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Monahan isnt being dealt for strictly futures. Again, this team is not in a re-build.

BT will insist on a player that can play now, as his departue creates a big hole in the top 6.
To Ottawa: Monahan, 3rd round pick, Kylington
To Calgary: Brown, 1st round pick

To Buffalo: Tkachuk, CGY 1st (12th), OTT 1st (10th)
To Calgary: Eichel

Gaudreau - Eichel - ?
Mangiapane - Lindholm - Brown
Dube - Backlund - ?
Lucic - Ruzicka - ?

Removes probably 2 of our 3 slowest forwards under contract.

...I also wonder if the Flames trade Monahan, does that impact Johnny wanting to stay?

Quote:
Interesting...as a Flame fan I want nothing to do with Laine.

Way to many red flags, plus acquisition cost, plus future salary = hard no.
100% agreed. He's also been rumoured to want to move to a beach town, so him signing here long-term seems as likely as Columbus to me.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:08 AM   #12983
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sorry I just don't think Monahan is worth the 10th OA.
If he could get an asset like that he would have been traded last year. I think Monahan could fetch a 1st, but not one that high.

Add Brown and his good season and good contract, and I think it's borderline crazy to expect Brown + 10th OA.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2021, 10:16 AM   #12984
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
If he could get an asset like that he would have been traded last year. I think Monahan could fetch a 1st, but not one that high.

Add Brown and his good season and good contract, and I think it's borderline crazy to expect Brown + 10th OA.
There’s a difference between last year’s draft and this one. But I only said that to start high. If Monahan was ever dealt he wouldn’t be moved unless we were given overpayment.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:24 AM   #12985
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:

that isn't the proposal.

Its Brown, Brannstrom and a 2nd OR a flip of 1st rd picks... 12 for 10.

As for reasoning about SM value, this is from the article as written by Mendes.

Quote:
Again, for me, this comes down to the Senators’ desire to win next season. If their intention is to push for a playoff spot by acquiring a proven centre, they probably won’t land someone with a better resume than Monahan. Find me another three-time 30-goal scorer in his mid-20s who is available on the market. You can’t.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:26 AM   #12986
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Lunacy. Monahan, a former 6th overall pick with multiple 30 goal seasons who is only 26 and still has two years at 6.375 million is worth more than a 1st. Especially in a hodge podge draft like this one.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2021, 10:28 AM   #12987
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Sens could always go for RNH and not have to spend any asset(s) on Monahan. I hope they do though. Getting Batherson, although a pipe dream, would be a steal.

I wouldn’t even be mad if we got Brown + Brown + 2022 2nd (OTT) for Monahan. That’s a return where you get a project center, a RW with great chemistry with Mangiapane (could see a Mangiapane - Backlund - Brown line), and a 2nd rounder in a deep draft. Could even make the 2022 pick conditional on the Sens making the playoffs. They’re a lot closer than people think.

I know some of you want to keep Monahan, but to me he is the odd man out. He’s not a play-driving center so we should be looking to bolster our winger depth, especially on the right side if we can’t acquire a player like Eichel.

Last edited by ForeverFlameFan; 06-07-2021 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:28 AM   #12988
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

What about:

Colin White (4.75Mx4 years)+ 10th overall + 2nd 22 + 3rd 21
For
Monahan + 12th overall

Flames add a right shot C/W who is younger and cheaper and some picks for Monahan?
Old 06-07-2021, 10:33 AM   #12989
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
that isn't the proposal.

Its Brown, Brannstrom and a 2nd OR a flip of 1st rd picks... 12 for 10.

As for reasoning about SM value, this is from the article as written by Mendes.
Okay, this makes more sense.

I would still be extremely happy with this trade.
And yes, I wouldn't be surprised if Ottawa becomes impatient with their rebuild, based on what we've heard.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:36 AM   #12990
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
What about:

Colin White (4.75Mx4 years)+ 10th overall + 2nd 22 + 3rd 21
For
Monahan + 12th overall

Flames add a right shot C/W who is younger and cheaper and some picks for Monahan?
Discussed in the article but White and Norris would be off limits.....rightfully.

If its a RS C coming back it could be Shane Pinto but Im not sure Ottawa wants to part with him either. Showed really well in a very small sample size.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:43 AM   #12991
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Discussed in the article but White and Norris would be off limits.....rightfully.

If its a RS C coming back it could be Shane Pinto but Im not sure Ottawa wants to part with him either. Showed really well in a very small sample size.
Based on stats I see no reason why White should be off limits. Norris I can see but White is only a couple years younger than Monahan with a career high of 14 goals and 41pts. I look at White as a piece the Sens add to balance the salary and the Flames like as a potential middle 6 forward with a coveted right shot. Basically replace Ryan as I would see Backlund likely moving back to the 2C role unless the Flames add Eichel, Reinhart or another top 6 C
Old 06-07-2021, 10:45 AM   #12992
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Someone here wondered if Gaudreau would be upset if Monahan were dealt. If White was the return that would take care of any hard feelings I'd imagine. I believe he and Gaudreau are close.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:46 AM   #12993
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Lunacy. Monahan, a former 6th overall pick with multiple 30 goal seasons who is only 26 and still has two years at 6.375 million is worth more than a 1st. Especially in a hodge podge draft like this one.
Depends if you've watched Monny play the last two seasons.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:48 AM   #12994
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Holy crap everyone thinks Monahan is unsalvageable eh?

What if he makes a full recovery?

You keep him if these are the best offers out there.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:51 AM   #12995
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
Holy crap everyone thinks Monahan is unsalvageable eh?

What if he makes a full recovery?

You keep him if these are the best offers out there.

No one says he’s not salvageable.

But he will need to prove himself healthy and productive or he’s likely going to be judged as damaged goods.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2021, 10:51 AM   #12996
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Based on stats I see no reason why White should be off limits. Norris I can see but White is only a couple years younger than Monahan with a career high of 14 goals and 41pts. I look at White as a piece the Sens add to balance the salary and the Flames like as a potential middle 6 forward with a coveted right shot. Basically replace Ryan as I would see Backlund likely moving back to the 2C role unless the Flames add Eichel, Reinhart or another top 6 C
Yeah no idea of the reasoning but I dont have a clue about teh dynamics of that room either. He could be really popular with the guys or one of their leaders or just the cost control going forward....many reasons.

I wouldn't mind the Pinto angle though...just a feeling about that kid who just has gotten better and better.

Pinto, Brown and a flip of 1st's.

Bit of a risk on BT's part so highly unlikely but intriguing player.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:52 AM   #12997
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Panthers inked Anton Lundell to his ELC today.

That was quick. But then again he plays so well against older competition already. Now I'm curious if he is on their roster as early as next season.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:53 AM   #12998
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are we assuming Ottawa is making the mistake that most Canadian teams make - trying to kick open their contending window instead of letting it take it's natural shape. Which is probably not a bad assumption - as it seems to be a common error.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:55 AM   #12999
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Are we assuming Ottawa is making the mistake that most Canadian teams make - trying to kick open their contending window instead of letting it take it's natural shape. Which is probably not a bad assumption - as it seems to be a common error.
I think they're at a point where they can start adding little bits at a time. There's no doubt in my mind they have the foundation to open the window a bit.

Don't think it'd be a full blown door kicking but definitely a chance to add in one or two guys. They've got good assets to do so and not hurt their built if they do it right.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:56 AM   #13000
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

When discussing players from the Flames' core forward group. I think Monahan's trade value has the most potential to swing wildly.

Gaudreau's value to me is static.

Tkachuk's value is static as well. I think there would be a huge bidding war for him if it wasn't for his 9million QO. For that reason, the fit is more difficult.

Monahan, it would almost be wise to play the long game like Sakic did with Duschene. If you seriously, unbiasedly look at Monahan's resume, its pretty impressive. Age, contract, stats, size. Aside from speed there's not much to not like there for any centre to hit the market. The catch 22 for Treliving is, well if he's so good why are you trading him.

The proposals I've seen of Domi for Monahan are crazy IMO unless there is a significant add on the Domi side.
Closed Thread