Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2018, 06:31 PM   #1281
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran403 View Post
I think it was. There was at least one location in Saskatoon when I was growing up.
It was started by a few brothers in Saskatoon and spread from there.

There were 3 in Saskatoon at one point, one in Kindersley, one in PA and one in Cereal.

They weren’t like a BPs where everything was identical but they all had the same sauce and dough and made the “Greek” style pizza with lots of cheese and toppings.

The one in Kindersley is called the Collisium now but still has the same Pizza and the one in PA is still open and the one in Sutherland in Saskatoon. Always on my list to stop at when I go back to Saskatchewan.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:24 PM   #1282
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
It was started by a few brothers in Saskatoon and spread from there.

There were 3 in Saskatoon at one point, one in Kindersley, one in PA and one in Cereal.

They weren’t like a BPs where everything was identical but they all had the same sauce and dough and made the “Greek” style pizza with lots of cheese and toppings.

The one in Kindersley is called the Collisium now but still has the same Pizza and the one in PA is still open and the one in Sutherland in Saskatoon. Always on my list to stop at when I go back to Saskatchewan.
The pizza menus at those Venice House locations in Saskatoon are not the same as the menu from the old Venice House location in Huntington Hills unfortunately. That's too bad as I do go to Saskatoon periodically.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:29 PM   #1283
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Other old video stores:
Video and Sound (downtown at the bottom of centre street - they boasted the largest selection for many years...they also had a location on 16th Avenue and later just around the corner on Centre approaching 16th Ave)
Video Vault in the old Beddington Mall (one of the VERY originals)
Flicks (largely in the NW/NE - in the old mall in Hunterhorn with the bowling alley, and also on 4th Street NW and one at the far north end of Centre Street, by the Co-op in Beddington)
More than Video (in Bowness, on Elbow and the one in Huntington Hills where I worked for many years, later became and still is the Black Bull pub). We later moved the video store down to Edmonton Trail and McKnight and that killed the business
Video HQ
Jumbo Video

Of course that's just a few of them. There were of dozens of other independently owned shops. Video and Sound was one of the last independent ones, but the very last was Bollywood Hollywood in the NE. After he went out of business Blockbuster and Rogers soon followed and that was it. EDIT: Actually this isn't true as Casablanca out-lasted them all of course.

I personally put myself through college working at Rogers Video: at the 14th Street location (the old two story building) then later up at the one by the Hamptons in the NW, then way down in Woodbine, followed by a long stint at the Mt. Royal one on 17th Avenue. I have some stories from that one. My first job out of University was moving to Richmond BC where I worked in Rogers Video marketing department.

But some of my best times were spent working at those stores. Really fond memories.

wow video and sound on center street brings back memories. they would have the movie cover in fron of a hole and you would have to lift it up to see if the movie was there. rented so many cheesy horrors there back in the late 80's
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:30 PM   #1284
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
The pizza menus at those Venice House locations in Saskatoon are not the same as the menu from the old Venice House location in Huntington Hills unfortunately. That's too bad as I do go to Saskatoon periodically.
The sauce and crust are the same. It’s definately worth trying if you like that style of pizza
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2019, 06:30 PM   #1285
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

driving through acadia the other day and remembering the Willy's burgers. big thick fries, square patties. good times
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2019, 06:59 PM   #1286
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
driving through acadia the other day and remembering the Willy's burgers. big thick fries, square patties. good times
Old 01-01-2019, 08:54 PM   #1287
BeltlineFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
The Richmond Mall (at Sarcee Trail). Canadian Tire was the anchor tenant, but there was a smallish mall with a food court, pet store, record store, jewellers and some other shops. The space is gone through several incarnations (medical offices, electronics store, fitness centre) and is now a Save-On Foods.
That mall has never had much luck keeping tenants. My wife and I went on our first date to sushi bar Ren which hasn't been around for at least five years now.
BeltlineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:16 AM   #1288
expatflame
Formerly FlamesFaninChina

Exp:

I grew up in Calgary in the late 70s and 80s and left in 1988; of course the year before the Flames won the cup I've been back twice since since. Once in the summer of 1995 and once in the summer of 1997. I'm sure so much has changed since but absolutely loved living there.

Things I remember and miss:

-A time when Calgary was small and relatively safe. I could leave my house on my BMX in the "dirthills" with my friends and be outside for hours. We lived on the absolute outskirts of the city and the dirthills were the literal boundary between the subburbs and the prairies. We would search for tadpoles and gophers for hours on end. We lived in the NE-Castleridge (which I guess was where many immigrants came) and I was one of 2 white kids in the class. Everyone just got along as well. I didn't notice this fact till many years later looking at school photos.

-C-train had just opened a few years ago so riding on this was so much fun and novel.

-Calgary stampede. Rodeos and pancake breakfasts every year. Loved this experience as a kid. Not sure how much has changed since then but I'm guessing a lot.

-Chinook center-this was one of the big malls. Think they had a giant indoor waterpark and wavepool here (edit: think it was Village Square) or somewhere in the NE where we used to go on the weekends.

-A time when you played with hockey cards. We collected hockey cards and playing with them by throwing them against the wall and winning cards from friends. I'm pretty sure I lost a few Mullen rookie cards. I used to have every Flames player's stats memorized and would go to Flames games and tell my parents every single stat while the game was going on.

-1988 Winter Olympics. I remember so much hype around this and going to all the venues. We left just before the olympics so missed this huge event too.

Last edited by expatflame; 01-02-2019 at 05:22 AM.
expatflame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to expatflame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2019, 07:39 AM   #1289
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
My god I loved that store.
Late to the party, and might have been quoted already, but they still have a place on the old Franklin Mall (now T and T). Not sure if it's the same owners though. Not nearly the behemoth it was then, but I find it nostalgic to walk in when I visit still.

I remember my dad buying his first plasma there. Haha.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2019, 10:48 AM   #1290
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatflame View Post
-A time when Calgary was small and relatively safe. I could leave my house on my BMX in the "dirthills" with my friends and be outside for hours. We lived on the absolute outskirts of the city and the dirthills were the literal boundary between the subburbs and the prairies. We would search for tadpoles and gophers for hours on end. We lived in the NE-Castleridge (which I guess was where many immigrants came) and I was one of 2 white kids in the class. Everyone just got along as well. I didn't notice this fact till many years later looking at school photos.

-C-train had just opened a few years ago so riding on this was so much fun and novel.
Yeah, we moved to Castleridge from Penbrooke Meadows (7 km straight north on 52nd St E) a couple years before the Whitehorn Station opened up. I used to take the school bus to a distant school so many of my friends from school would have to get their parents to drive them or take the bus in order to visit me. But I would get the same comments all the time about how my family was living in the "boonies". I still remember that after they built the Whitehorn Station, I would stand at the top of the skywalk across 36th Street and look north and would see cattle grazing in the distance.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snootchiebootchies For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2019, 05:38 PM   #1291
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not too far off of having been away from Calgary for 20 years now. Later this year, I'll have spent as much of my life away from Calgary as I did growing up there before moving for university.

The things I really miss are the skies and the views of the landscape, especially in the summer.

I miss quick motorbike rides out to Grand Valley road around Cochrane or out past Nakoda Lodge too, but mostly it was the skies and the beauty of the softly rolling landscape in the summer that I really feel nostalgia for. Growing up with those big blue skies was like growing up with a view to open possibilities and a clean slate.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:17 AM   #1292
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

not sure how many pool halls remain but we used to always go to the one up by Toppler Bowl on Fairmount Drive. cant recall the name but spent a lot of time there playing video games and pool.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:00 AM   #1293
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
not sure how many pool halls remain but we used to always go to the one up by Toppler Bowl on Fairmount Drive. cant recall the name but spent a lot of time there playing video games and pool.
Almost no pool halls in Calgary anymore. And there are only 4 public snooker tables left in the city (2 of them at the Legion). It was a sad, sad day when the Haysboro Pool Hall closed.

Darts have almost vanished too. The Point and Feather used to be a darts club. Kept the name but gradually got rid of all the dart boards and replaced them with VLTs.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:21 AM   #1294
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bonkers and the Market Mall theatre.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:22 AM   #1295
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Bonkers and the Market Mall theatre.
That theater was the worst. No legroom and no slant so you couldn't see over anyone's head.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 10:31 AM   #1296
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I loved Willy's Burgers.

That one you are talking about on Fairmount Dr and Heritage, did $0.25 1/4 plunders the first Monday of each month, limit of 4 per customer.

Before the days of GST you could get 4 1/4 pounders for $1, high school UCB loved it.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 01:24 PM   #1297
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Almost no pool halls in Calgary anymore. And there are only 4 public snooker tables left in the city (2 of them at the Legion). It was a sad, sad day when the Haysboro Pool Hall closed.

Darts have almost vanished too. The Point and Feather used to be a darts club. Kept the name but gradually got rid of all the dart boards and replaced them with VLTs.
You've still got Mike's Billiards in the NE and the one on 17th. I assume they don't have snooker tables or only 2 of them?
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:28 PM   #1298
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
That theater was the worst. No legroom and no slant so you couldn't see over anyone's head.
I miss the Southland theatres. It seemed the seats sloped upwards.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:28 PM   #1299
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
You've still got Mike's Billiards in the NE and the one on 17th. I assume they don't have snooker tables or only 2 of them?

Leather Pocket is a pretty good place. Lots of tables. I think Mike's new location on 32nd has more snooker tables than when it was at Edmonton Trail & McKnight.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:29 PM   #1300
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I loved Willy's Burgers.

That one you are talking about on Fairmount Dr and Heritage, did $0.25 1/4 plunders the first Monday of each month, limit of 4 per customer.

Before the days of GST you could get 4 1/4 pounders for $1, high school UCB loved it.
Loved their burgers. I went to Bangerbrook so we went there for lunch sometimes.

Tags
a ringa ding dong dandy , a simpler time