Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2016, 05:02 PM   #1281
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
I got pretty pissed at some guy that strolled up and kept increasing the prestige of the gym I was taking down. It just made it slower for both of us; let me put mine in, then you can take it back.

Very surprised there haven't been more altercations because of it. I would never confront someone about a game, but there are people who get more worked up over less.

Ps. Was randomly tracking last night while on my computer using one of the websites and a snorlax appeared ~5-7 minutes away.. with a 4 minute despawn =(
Maybe it is just me but I don't see a problem with that particular situation. It is kinda the point of that portion of the game isn't it? To battle for your team?

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swayze11 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2016, 05:08 PM   #1282
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got my Dragonite. Only a 350cp-ish one but good for the Pokedex balancing. Sitting at 80/80.

Level 17, almost 18. Top 5 are:

1132 CP Slowbro
1029 CP Clefable
1003 Vaporeon
945 Hypno
936 Lapras

I feel like I should have better Pokemon but I don't, just saving the big Evolutions for after lvl 20.

Last edited by dammage79; 09-06-2016 at 05:12 PM.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2016, 05:14 PM   #1283
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
Maybe it is just me but I don't see a problem with that particular situation. It is kinda the point of that portion of the game isn't it? To battle for your team?
You'd think, but the way it is right now it's better to avoid that so you can get your coins and move on. You don't benefit at all from it, so it ends up wasting time for both of you.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:07 PM   #1284
InBurkeWeTrust
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I think of gyms as a battle or war.. so there are no rules? People steal from me and I steal from others; however, if they are on my team I don't steal their spot if I can see someone levelling it up because I can do that myself.

If you're not team Instinct you are my enemy!
InBurkeWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InBurkeWeTrust For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2016, 06:23 AM   #1285
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InBurkeWeTrust View Post
I think of gyms as a battle or war.. so there are no rules? People steal from me and I steal from others; however, if they are on my team I don't steal their spot if I can see someone levelling it up because I can do that myself.

If you're not team Instinct you are my enemy!
Yellow is not Red

For your convenience:
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...=misunderstood
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:45 AM   #1286
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I finally can quit the game after finally getting my first Snorlax at a measly 131 close to Berkshire Blvd NW. :P jk. Hopefully its a start to more Snorlax's.

CPHL Dallas Stars
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:49 AM   #1287
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Sorry, just have to brag.

There is a free Shaw Open WIFI signal at Eau Claire market. It's a 1-2 bar signal from my living room. For fun last night, I disconnected my own WIFI and signed into the shaw open. It puts my GPS location standing in the water, right in between the two pokestops on the main PIP bridge. So, yeah, that's hand over fist magickarp from my couch. haha.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cracher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2016, 05:49 PM   #1288
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
Sorry, just have to brag.

There is a free Shaw Open WIFI signal at Eau Claire market. It's a 1-2 bar signal from my living room. For fun last night, I disconnected my own WIFI and signed into the shaw open. It puts my GPS location standing in the water, right in between the two pokestops on the main PIP bridge. So, yeah, that's hand over fist magickarp from my couch. haha.
Is that really how it works? I have found a few locations where my avatar started to bounce all over downtown Calgary, but I had WIFI off.
Nage Waza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:23 PM   #1289
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

No clue how phone location services work. Didn't know WIFI had anything to do with it at all until this happened, always assumed location is based satellites. Anecdotally, later evenings always kicks my avatar more east of where I am (which I attribute to satellites moving relative to the earth)... so i never figured WIFI has any influence. I won't ask too many questions. I'll just collect my staryu, clefairy, karp and hope that nobody considers this spoofing.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:12 AM   #1290
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty much have 10 locked down now
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2016, 12:14 AM   #1291
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Wow I can't hold a gym for an hour let alone days

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swayze11 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2016, 07:57 AM   #1292
InBurkeWeTrust
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I've locked down 10 with friends several times. It takes about an hour to an hour and a half.
InBurkeWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:14 AM   #1293
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

How many of the 149 have you guys caught?

I've managed to get 75 of them with three more as seen but ran away.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:22 AM   #1294
Top Shelf
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Caught 126, Seen 128
Top Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:45 AM   #1295
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

76 Seen and Caught
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:14 AM   #1296
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
Caught 126, Seen 128
My numbers exactly. I have had 2 cracks at Dragonite and ran out of balls the first time and he ran off the second time. I also had a crack at Primeape but my phone froze up while we were engaged and I never secured him. I'm level 24, half way to 25.
Southside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:25 AM   #1297
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Pretty much have 10 locked down now
What level do you train those gyms up to? We find that if you take it up to Level 8 or so, it's generally safe for a while. I don't know about days, but often a day. If you only take it up to Level 3 or 4 it simply will not last long enough to collect a defender bonus. It's in everyone's nature to hit the softer targets.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:59 AM   #1298
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside View Post
What level do you train those gyms up to? We find that if you take it up to Level 8 or so, it's generally safe for a while. I don't know about days, but often a day. If you only take it up to Level 3 or 4 it simply will not last long enough to collect a defender bonus. It's in everyone's nature to hit the softer targets.
Usually take the gym to 38000. We are putting in 3. This insures the gym could fill to 10 (with the 2k prestige bonus for placing a Pokémon) if no one attacks it first. I'm a bit ashamed to admit that we always use my 8 year old daughter's account to place the dummy (a Pikachu with bad electric movesets) to train against with Sandshrews with optimal ground attacks. Anyway, the gyms often fill at least partially with lower CP mons, but as these get knocked out, the big boys come. I agree 100%, only going to 3,4,5 will see it fall right away.
We started picking remote gyms, but have since found areas with a high concentration of gyms and not so many players works just as well. Exactly as you suggest, players just move on to easier targets.
Success rate of holding more than 1 day is probably about 2/5, and any that have gone a second day have yet to fall, but I fully expect will at some point in time.
One time made a temporary truce with an enemy, and had him knock out one Pokémon in a very strong gym, that I raised the prestige of and entered - and did the same thing for him in his gym.
But I felt traitorous afterwards

For me the game was getting slow to play (level 27 pokedex 129). This made it interesting again, for a while. But assuming 10 are locked down, I dunno then. Thought about running around bringing down really strong enemy gyms, but I dunno - leaving 10 big beasts behind takes some toll on your ability to attack.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:02 PM   #1299
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Level 22.2. Caught 82.

Aerodactyl 1441
Starmie 1348
Ninetails 1267
Pinsir 1252
Electrabuzz 1251
Hypno 1248
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:51 PM   #1300
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So I hatched the perfect Eevee. It was 100 across the board and the attack showed as 15. I evolved it and got the Vaporeon but the move set disappointed me; water gun, water pulse. I guess she will still be a beast left to defend gyms, right?