Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 05:17 PM   #12821
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Adding a Marner would be great. But it would likely cost the Flames Matthew Tkachuk and something else and I wouldn't be ok with that. The Flames probably need a power forward like Matthew Tkachuk more than they need 2 Johnny Gaudreau types. Marner would definitely help drive another scoring line, but I'm pretty iffy on his playoff contributions. We also have enough guys who can't elevate their play in the playoffs too. Could use some players who thrive in the post season if we want to get to where we want to be.
Yeah we need the right type of players we can't afford to add pieces that don't fit at this point, or it will be one step forward 2 steps back.

Last edited by DazzlinDino; 06-01-2021 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:11 PM   #12822
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I really think Tkachuk is destined to take his $9 million QO and walk to FA in 2 years. Because of that, I try to use Tkachuk to get Nylander from Toronto.

Tkachuk has 5 points in 15 playoff games. Nylander has 23 in 32 playoff games, with 12 points in his last 12 playoff games, and he's a RW.
The Following User Says Thank You to Groot For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2021, 08:26 PM   #12823
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
I really think Tkachuk is destined to take his $9 million QO and walk to FA in 2 years. Because of that, I try to use Tkachuk to get Nylander from Toronto.

Tkachuk has 5 points in 15 playoff games. Nylander has 23 in 32 playoff games, with 12 points in his last 12 playoff games, and he's a RW.

Good post.
This deal makes sense.

ETA: I would like to see the Leafs add, as I feel Tkachuk has a higher ceiling.
ETAA: I understand the difference in cap hits/contract status is an integral component of asset valuation.

Last edited by blender; 06-01-2021 at 08:39 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2021, 08:37 PM   #12824
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

W by does Toronto do that. Nylander was their best player in the playoffs and is on a better contract.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2021, 08:39 PM   #12825
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
We all thought the same thing with Jeff Carter but he found himself in Pittsburgh and doing quite well, I think they were poised for a good run if Jarry doesn’t blow it in OT in that series and Carter put up 4 goals in 6.

I agree it’s hard to imagine him anywhere other than Anaheim but I have seen crazier things happen than a Ryan Getzlaf signing into Calgary for a 1 to 2 year shot with a coach like Sutter and good young pieces in place..
I think players like the thought of playing with Crosby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2021, 08:39 PM   #12826
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If we’re moving Tkachuk, I’d really really hope it’s in a deal for a centre.

Our centre depth is bad and needs to be improved - Tkachuk is probably the best piece to do that with.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2021, 08:41 PM   #12827
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Good post.
This deal makes sense.

ETA: I would like to see the Leafs add, as I feel Tkachuk has a higher ceiling.
I was thinking about Leafs adding but for them to give up Nylander who's cost-controlled for 3 more years for Tkachuk who they are well-aware may be earning $9 million in 1 year, I think it becomes a wash.

I'd also explore some options with St. Louis. If you could use Tkachuk and his St. Louis connections to get a return of Kyrou and Perunovich I pull the trigger every day also.
The Following User Says Thank You to Groot For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2021, 09:10 PM   #12828
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Toronto would definitely do a deal around Tkachuk for Marner. Completely gives a different vibe to that team and would fit in well.

If Marner had closer to an 8.5 hit I’d be into that trade, just can’t stomach 10.9 for another Gaudreau type player.
Old 06-01-2021, 09:15 PM   #12829
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Marner is a great player, but he is the last this this team needs.

Trading Tkachuk for Marner makes us smaller and softer, with even more cap committed to wingers. He is the furthest thing from being the answer to what this team needs.

Some of the trade suggestions are just bizarre.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2021, 09:25 PM   #12830
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

Trading Tkachuk for Marner makes us smaller and softer, with even more cap committed to wingers. He is the furthest thing from being the answer to what this team needs.

I wouldn’t say he’s the furthest thing from what we need.

Marner is more offensively talented and much faster than Tkachuk, and seeing as we’re a slow and under-skilled team, a Marner for Tkachuk trade isn’t the craziest thing.

…still not a trade I’d want to see happen.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2021, 09:27 PM   #12831
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was thinking about Leafs adding but for them to give up Nylander who's cost-controlled for 3 more years for Tkachuk who they are well-aware may be earning $9 million in 1 year, I think it becomes a wash.
9M is a bargain for Dubas, Tkachuk could probably squeeze another mil out of him.
Old 06-01-2021, 09:37 PM   #12832
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tkachuk + Lucic for Marner + Kerfoot

Not sure Looch would waive.

A bit crazier:

Lindholm + Gaudreau for Marner + great prospect + decent prospect

Flames get younger, an extra year of term, and re-stock. Of course I'm wary of overhyped TOR prospects.

Marner's contract is nuts - beyond the obvious term and AAV. base salary is $7-775k; the rest is signing bonus. Marner and Matthews really screwed themselves with COVID escrow. Front loaded ~$15M last year and another $15M this year under the highest escrow.

Marner is only due 34.4M for the next 4 years (8.6M per). He could be pretty attractive to a team with an internal cap (and lots of cap room)
Old 06-01-2021, 09:47 PM   #12833
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
A bit crazier:

Lindholm + Gaudreau for Marner + great prospect + decent prospect

Flames get younger, an extra year of term, and re-stock. Of course I'm wary of overhyped TOR prospects.

)
I would be interested to see if the Flames could get the Tkachuk-Dvorak-Marner line together. Monahan for Dvorak work?
Old 06-01-2021, 10:28 PM   #12834
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
No...he most certainly is not.

He is vastly overpaid for being on a 2nd contract but that is on Dubas.

Tremendous hockey player who hasnt figured out the playoff thing yet is all. We have a couple guys on this team in the same boat.
He might not necessarily be softer, but he’s also not a gamer. In a game 7, on the cusp of an 18 playoff game goal-less drought, he really needed to show up and I thought he was one of the worst Maple Leafs last night. With Gaudreau, I thought his last 2 elimination games were excellent. I also thought he was the best skater on the ice in the 5 game series again Montreal, must win series. Maybe it doesn’t mean that much in the end because of what the results were, but I like the way Gaudreau has played when his team has been backed into a corner. Marner, not so much.

Last edited by Classic_Sniper; 06-02-2021 at 09:55 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2021, 06:15 AM   #12835
GS Skier
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Sutter builds at center. The ONLY available star center and of course its a maybe, is Eichel. And he scored just 2 goals last year!!! Even Monahan had a better season. I defy anyone to find a better center than we have now on the trade market. They exist however are simply not available.

Many of the best also have NMC or NTCs. FWIW all you Backlund haters can't seem to wrap your heads around his NTC. Tampa cap problem is almost everyone there has a contract clause for example.

Eichel is still the only player worth trading a Tkachuk for. Other than that trading Tkachuk is a win for the other team.
Old 06-02-2021, 06:28 AM   #12836
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

A player that just finished 4th overall in scoring on a team that is challenged offensively is the last thing this team needs? Tkachuk is a good player but he's not a great player. Marner is a great player.
Old 06-02-2021, 06:39 AM   #12837
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
A player that just finished 4th overall in scoring on a team that is challenged offensively is the last thing this team needs? Tkachuk is a good player but he's not a great player. Marner is a great player.

Who unfortunately has not been effective in the playoffs, which is a contributor to the Leaf’s lack of success.
Old 06-02-2021, 06:48 AM   #12838
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Who unfortunately has not been effective in the playoffs, which is a contributor to the Leaf’s lack of success.
Nor has Tkachuk for the Flames. Marner is a massive contributor to the Leafs regular season success. You still need to be good in the regular season to make the playoffs which is why the Leafs with Marner got in and the Flames with Tkachuk didn't. Marner is 24 years old and as has been discussed here plenty it takes time for some top players to have playoff success. I value regular season over playoffs because if you aren't a good regular season team it's pointless discussing the playoff effectiveness of players. It's kind of comical really to be critiquing elite players for their playoff effectiveness given how bad the Flames were in the regular season. I will take a team that makes the playoffs every year like the Leafs over one that doesn't and maybe goes on one fluke playoff run of a few series like the Habs.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 06-02-2021 at 06:50 AM.
Old 06-02-2021, 07:07 AM   #12839
klikitiklik
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Can we not name any deals with Toronto please. I would hate to deal with us playing against and Tkachuk or whoever just like we used to have to with Doug Gilmour and Phaneuf. It was non stop
Old 06-02-2021, 07:18 AM   #12840
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Nmm
Closed Thread