Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 01:23 PM   #12821
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm so happy with today!

Bring on the playoffs!
Old 02-25-2019, 01:28 PM   #12822
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm glad we kept our 1st and our good young prospects. I wouldn't have been happy with Stone @ $9.5 million AAV anyway. Way too much.

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!
The Following User Says Thank You to Nehkara For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 01:31 PM   #12823
EastCoastFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm disappointed here as well. Would have loved to have landed Stone and got really excited when I saw that Zucker was on our radar (I remember there were rumors at the draft last year that we were eyeing him). However, with all this being said, I completely trust Tre and that management knows what they're doing. We have a really good team as is, and we were able to keep our top prospects along with our 2019 1st.

I know it's east to get wrapped up in the madness of this day, and yep it stings to see other teams land players, but some of y'all just need to take a deep breath and relax. We're still in really good shape. I am hoping with this day over, the boys will relax a bit more and take it to the next gear over the remainder of the season.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:31 PM   #12824
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't really care if the Flames acquired forwards.

Before today, the clear need was goaltending. After today, the clear need is still goaltending. No point overpaying for other areas.
The goaltending market is nonexistent, so there really wasn't much to do.

The only trade that bugs me is the Stone trade. 9.5 mill is the going rate for a point-per-game, defensively-sound, locker room-leading, winger. The contract will take Stone right through his prime, and Vegas really didn't give up all that much to get him.
That trade was a huge win for Vegas. Stone is a top 5 RW in the NHL.

Last edited by 1qqaaz; 02-25-2019 at 01:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 01:32 PM   #12825
Stauner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I don't really care if the Flames acquired forwards.

Before today, the clear need was goaltending. After today, the clear need is still goaltending. No point overpaying for other areas.

The goaltending market is nonexistent, so there really wasn't much to do.
What can we do in the offseasons to fix this ?
Old 02-25-2019, 01:34 PM   #12826
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm ok too. Over the last two year nashville, jets, Vegas, caps and Minny have all given up first rounders to no avail (given tatar did nothing in the playoffs). I'm glad we're not one of them. The big fish trades rarely work out.

If valimaki does become that top pair guy then we'll look back thankful. It's nice that treliving is thinking with that level of foresight rather than a 'Forsberg' style trade.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:35 PM   #12827
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauner View Post
What can we do in the offseasons to fix this ?
We'll have to wait and see first if it needs to be fixed. If Rittich can properly rebound, we might be fine.

If not, Treliving will need to work in the summer to sign or trade for a quality young netminder. Not an easy task.

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!
Old 02-25-2019, 02:10 PM   #12828
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now, if the Flames trade Brodie in the off-season... they can maybe pick up a 1st in 2020.

Going into next season with two first round picks can really help next deadline when the team is hopefully heading back to the playoffs. This season is more for playoff experience now so hopefully the boys can win a few rounds.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:11 PM   #12829
1Nite
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hearing Gretzky talk, and then sportsnet talk about how the oilers did good, their right in the thick of the playoff hunt, hilarious.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:35 PM   #12830
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’m happy with not doing anything. Treliving set the prices he was willing to pay and did not exceed them. That shows discipline and self-control. I want that in a leader. Now, we will be able retain all of our young talent and hopefully select in the 1st round. Maybe they’ll get Brett Leason.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:36 PM   #12831
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I expect Tre to be active on July 1.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:38 PM   #12832
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
I expect Tre to be active on July 1.

I hope not, his UFA signings have been pretty questionable.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:48 PM   #12833
Demzy84
Backup Goalie

Exp:

With us not making any big moves, now has me thinking about the plans this summer for the Flames.

GMBT has shown he is not the best in regards to his FA signings, but I wonder if Frolik, Brodie, and/or our 1st round pick can turn into a goalie or top 6 forward with term?
Old 02-25-2019, 04:20 PM   #12834
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1100168154888761344

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 04:20 PM   #12835
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just spit balling here, but I could see the Leafs and Flames swinging a deal at the draft.

Something like Kapanen and Kadri

for

Brodie, Jankowski, Dube

Last edited by Phagoof; 02-25-2019 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:23 PM   #12836
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastFlamesFan View Post
I'm disappointed here as well. Would have loved to have landed Stone and got really excited when I saw that Zucker was on our radar (I remember there were rumors at the draft last year that we were eyeing him). However, with all this being said, I completely trust Tre and that management knows what they're doing. We have a really good team as is, and we were able to keep our top prospects along with our 2019 1st.

I know it's east to get wrapped up in the madness of this day, and yep it stings to see other teams land players, but some of y'all just need to take a deep breath and relax. We're still in really good shape. I am hoping with this day over, the boys will relax a bit more and take it to the next gear over the remainder of the season.
May even galvanize the group even more given the faith mgmt is showing in them.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:27 PM   #12837
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Nite View Post
Hearing Gretzky talk, and then sportsnet talk about how the oilers did good, their right in the thick of the playoff hunt, hilarious.
Lol. The delusion never ends up there. If they reel off 9/10 here then sure. Back in it. 8 points back, jump 5 better teams along the way. No problemo
Old 02-25-2019, 04:30 PM   #12838
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffalufagus View Post
Lol. The delusion never ends up there. If they reel off 9/10 here then sure. Back in it. 8 points back, jump 5 better teams along the way. No problemo
#SomethingInTheWater
Old 02-25-2019, 04:36 PM   #12839
Murph
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nehkara View Post
We'll have to wait and see first if it needs to be fixed. If Rittich can properly rebound, we might be fine.

If not, Treliving will need to work in the summer to sign or trade for a quality young netminder. Not an easy task.
If he doesn’t re-sign, I’d expect Treliving will go after Lehner.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:38 PM   #12840
Captaincanada80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Although I was in the Stone camp, I'm happy with the way today turned out. The loyalty Treliving showed to the current group that got them here in the first place gets players to remain that much more loyal and dedicated, something the circus show up north is missing.

9.5 per is extremely expensive for Stone (about 1.25M overpay) and im glad the farm wasn't sold. Treliving probably stuck to his guns with a fair offer and you gotta tip your cap to him for that.

I just have the uttermost confidence in him to make the right decisions and glad we have a competent management group.
Closed Thread