Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2022, 07:53 AM   #1261
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

This is going to be a hard off-season to evaluate. Does the team rebuild? Do we stay the course? The problem is we are getting "far enough" in the season but ultimately can't rise to the next level. That's four years running now.

I think the Cavs are now the 'gatekeeper' team that other teams use to measure success. Cavs are steady enough to be competitive and are a formidable opponent, but those teams that can figure out Tommy's system of strong wing play and set-piece dominance are usually the ones going to the finals - namely Forge, ATO and Pacific.

I too am wondering if Zator would be interested in returning, especially if Yao and Trafford are gone (both highly likely to not return). Vliet, Alarcon, Klomp and Zator would be a fantastic back end.

After that I don't really know what to do with the forward or mid groups. All I know is that Bevan has been a huge surprise, Musse is extremely inconsistent, Mason is underwhelming, Trafford is meh, Camargo is solid when he's not winded, Simmons is OK, Escalante is fantastic and a fan favorite, and not enough is known about Aird and Cantave to make a judgment (although I have hope).

One thing I would be willing to bet is that Mason or Fisk will be the new captain, assuming captaincy isn't handed to goaltenders (Carducci).
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2022, 08:28 AM   #1262
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

The one move I would put at the top of my offseason list to throw whatever money you need to at Michael Baldisimo (just released from Whitecaps) to entice him to the CPL. Pair him with Simmons in the base of midfield and there's an elite level passer to control matches (can't really defend but that's what Simmons would be there for). Then find a #10 to play above them or go with a two striker system (Bevan and Mason).

I'm assuming Yao is gone to Montreal next year, it's time for that and he seems penciled in as the Camacho replacement. Or at least splitting time. So he needs replacing too.
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 08:28 AM   #1263
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just want to jump in and say that I'm not on the "Tommy out" train. I feel like the club is in good shape and it's rather entitled for fans to think that we deserve to be winning everything. All the clubs want success and being close every year is not an indictment of the manager! When you look at this team this year, selling it's two best players and having to setup and challenge anyway, it's obvious to me that we have a good manager here.

I also trust that he'll bring in some good pieces over the offseason and make some changes. He's shown a propensity for this in the past and we've had a good string of players who have gone on to other things. From guys like Buescher and Malonga, through to Loturri and Pepple this year. Even guys like Waterman and Farsi. It's a pretty good track record to say the least! Young players debating on where to go have to look at this and think that (a) they're going to get a crack at some playing team in meaningful games and (b) it's a step toward bigger things if they earn it. That's pretty compelling for a developmental league.

I don't like losing, and I think I've been pretty clear that I think the league setup around Forge is unprofessional and small-time. But Tommy has been excellent for Cavs and I fully support him.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2022, 09:16 AM   #1264
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's what was made public about contract status:

Signed for 2023: Escalante, Fisk, Klomp, Bevan, Aird, C. Trafford, Roloff
Club options for 2023: Musse, Camargo, Novak, Di Chiara, Mason, Field, Norman, Carducci
Announced as "Multi Year": Alarcon, Cantave, Ntignee, Smith-Doyle
Out of Contract: Adekugbe, Simmons, M. Trafford, Vliet
Back to Montreal: Yao, Assi

For club options, I'd like to see Camargo and Carducci's exercised, and I'd like to see Mason and Musse back but not in the roles they had this year.

For out of contract players, I'd like to see Simmons and Vliet re-signed, and wouldn't be upset if Adekugbe was re-signed although as a depth option only.

I'm not sure what the "multi year" contracts look like but I assume all 4 are back next year. No issues with that.

Just upgrade the damn attack will ya?

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2022, 09:24 AM   #1265
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wouldn't be surprised if Di Chiara will be back, Tommy loves the dude and I have absolutely no idea why. I want him off the team and permanently gone from the club. I'm also still pissed at the starting lineup from yesterday - lo and behold, the subs played way better. Go figure... not sure what Tommy was thinking.

As well, I want this team to get a proper mid. Our inability to move the ball up the middle is incredibly frustrating. Our 'let's always move the ball up the wings' strategy has been exposed. Forge shut that down for the most part yesterday, and handidly.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2022, 09:43 AM   #1266
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn. Yao leaving is going to burn. He was pound for pound the best player on Cavalry.

The hard thing, and the beauty of being in a feeder league is how quickly teams transform.

I hope Tommy puts the funds raised by selling our best young players to push for a championship. I get there is another business at hand. But the loyal have earned something to celebrate, and had to watch a lot of disappointing futball to this point.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2022, 10:35 AM   #1267
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's great info Sherm, thanks for posting the contracts. I agree with who you would re-sign, that's a solid foundation for the club to build around. I'd be ok with letting Camargo go unless he is ok being more of a role player off the bench, you can't count on him every week and that's a problem.

I'd try and offload C Trafford too. He's like Di Chiara except with more chaos.
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 10:52 AM   #1268
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I hope Tommy puts the funds raised by selling our best young players to push for a championship. I get there is another business at hand. But the loyal have earned something to celebrate, and had to watch a lot of disappointing futball to this point.
The funds from those sales, as well as the funds from retroactively being awarded the 2019 regular season title, will go in Spruce Meadows' pocket. It's cynical but we have to remember this club needs to be sustainable to stick around; not sure if they're at the point where they are making money yet.

Cavalry will spend to the cap as they always do. Can't do much when other clubs don't want to increase the cap. The question is whether they open their wallets to bring in a difference maker, instead of offering lower salary and more term to players than they would get elsewhere.

Old 10-25-2022, 09:25 AM   #1269
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

maybe I have my tinfoil hat on, but do any of the "have teams" follow the cap? Is the cap being enforced or policed?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2022, 12:31 PM   #1270
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1585323678895857664

I personally like it.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2022, 12:33 PM   #1271
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

So . . . . VFC?
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 01:13 PM   #1272
cheevers
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just call yourselves Langley. Build a community identity.
cheevers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheevers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2022, 05:29 PM   #1273
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm indifferent to it. Just excited to have another away day that's not unrealistic.

Old 10-26-2022, 05:31 PM   #1274
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Wouldn't be surprised if Di Chiara will be back, Tommy loves the dude and I have absolutely no idea why. I want him off the team and permanently gone from the club. I'm also still pissed at the starting lineup from yesterday - lo and behold, the subs played way better. Go figure... not sure what Tommy was thinking.

As well, I want this team to get a proper mid. Our inability to move the ball up the middle is incredibly frustrating. Our 'let's always move the ball up the wings' strategy has been exposed. Forge shut that down for the most part yesterday, and handidly.

If Tommy brings back Di Chiara...

... me
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2022, 11:54 AM   #1275
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1585618796546605056
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2022, 01:03 PM   #1276
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Lol, who do they even appeal to? Is Bob Young just emailing himself?
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2022, 01:15 PM   #1277
AndyM
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Water is wet.
AndyM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2022, 07:05 PM   #1278
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Remember the good times when Forge had their red card overturned for the second leg of final, while Waterman didn't?

VFC has some UBC Thunderbirds logo (from the 80s) similarities.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2022, 08:53 PM   #1279
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Remember the good times when Forge had their red card overturned for the second leg of final, while Waterman didn't?

VFC has some UBC Thunderbirds logo (from the 80s) similarities.
Yeah and then Borges scored, right? God I hope Ottawa wins this.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 03:13 PM   #1280
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Suspension reduced for whatever random reason, but still will miss the final.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1586099727635910656

Tags
cavalry , cpl , eff the forge , fc edmonton is no good