Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should Don Cherry have been fired?
Yes 287 48.81%
No 301 51.19%
Voters: 588. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2019, 09:34 AM   #1261
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Potato Standing By View Post
Then why didn’t he apologize if it didn’t come out the way it was meant to? (Now I don’t think what he said was racist as immigrant isn’t a race, It is more xenophobic then anything else). My question though is if it does offend you why does that automatically mean you are a liberal? I am white and not an immigrant and really not offended, but think people should be smart enough by now to know the consequences of what you say, even if you don’t agree.you can’t control what offends people, hell look at all the ones that are offended and get outraged because others get offended over different things then they do.Personally yes everyone should wear poppies, but they have the freedom not to and thus should be afforded that freedom without being shamed whether you approve or disapprove. Maybe the old adage of mind your own beeswax should be applied more often.
He should have done what passes for an apology nowadays. "I'm sorry YOU were offended.". It actually works really well.

I mean you look at Jessica Allen's apology and CTV's apology

We apologize to anyone that was offended by her remarks.

And her apology after she basically stereotyped based on what was probably her exposure to a small percentage of hockey players and their parents.

"I apologize to the people I offended"

In other words, If you do that, you're basically saying. The people that I apologize to are horrible people, but I have to apologize to keep my job.

Cherry needed a good spin consultant more then anything else.

I don't agree with Cherry's initial comments, because I see more of a general, and young group not wearing poppies. However, the right to wear or not wear poppies was something that was established by fighting for rights of freedom of speech and expression, which is what those veterans fought for knowing or unknowing.

I do fine that as right as it was that Cherry was tossed for his comments because it went against what is the demographic of the media, its hilarious that Ron who is terrible at his job, sat there with the thumbs up at the end of the Cherry Rant and he got to keep his job because of an apology that was

I apologize because I sat there and didn't do my job as the host of the segment and gave a big thumbs up to Cherry so sorry to those I offended.

To me lately, all of these celebrity apologies are meaningless because

1) They're being told to apologize or lose their huge paychecks, so they do. Its meaningless. Its like that criminal at a sentencing hearing apologizing for what he did because it will look good on him.

2) The whole, I apologize if you were offended because you clearly aren't as enlightened and awesome as me.

Cherry was absolutely wrong and whether it was a grammatical and verbal stumble or he meant it to be a racist statement is still being debated. And he's standing his ground, he's not making an apology based on false tears and the scribbled notes of a public relations expert and if that's the way he goes out, then so be it, and if he believes its going out on his own terms and that gets him to sleep through the night so be it.

Jessica Allen made a horrible statement, and put out a apology that wasn't an apology and she had people rallying around her and giving her high fives. Instead of fired, its the power of the phony apology.

Ron Maclean kept his job because he was "Sawrry" and he was willing to throw Cherry under the bus.

On the people not wearing the poppy.

As someone who served, I frankly don't give a crap if you choose to not wear a poppy or take a freaking minute on November 11th to reflect, or at least one day a year take the time to talk to your kids about the day, and the meaning and what was sacrificed. That's absolutely your right and if you don't lecture me (Like one fellow did a couple of years ago) about the fascist meaning of the Poppy as a symbol of Western Imperialism, we'll never have a problem.

Its your right to choose what you do and live your life, and live with the decision that you make and how your present yourself and your views.

I'm more concerned with the fading legacy of things like remembrance day as schools spend very little time talking about the horrors of war, and the sacrifice of these young men and woman, in wars that were completely unnecessary (WW1), necessary in the fight against a murderous group of men (WW2) etc. History is important, the lessons of sacrifice and they why's are important. If we don't teach it, we lose the lessons that it emphasizes and makes necessary.

Oh and I'm apologize in advance for those that I've offended with my rant.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 11-16-2019 at 09:36 AM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 09:56 AM   #1262
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone that is defending what Cherry said on the standards of context and wording are kind of severely undercut by the fact Cherry owned every word, in order, and that he meant it. That he appeared on Tucker Carlson really doesn't help, and that he slightly changed his story in a separate interview doesn't work to alleviate it.

He says he said it, he says he meant it, he's not apologizing. The mental gymnastics occurring to make it OK to agree with him on that level is actually quite impressive - if not disappointing - given the evidence.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:39 AM   #1263
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Most of the visible minorities i talked to were not offended. None of the visible minorities i talked to who watched don cherry growing up were offended. And I'm colored, so I know a lot of visible minorities. Do you know why we weren't offended? Because we took what he said the way he meant it, not the way he said it. Most of the visible minorities offended either dont watch hockey night in Canada, didn't watch don cherry growing up or are liberals living in outrage culture land.
Well, for one, as Yamer just pointed out, he’s come out and said he meant what he said, so taking it “the way he meant it, not the way he said it” seems to just be ignorant of what he meant.

On the other side of it, I wasn’t offended either. But hey, why would I be? I’m not an immigrant... are you? Because being a visible minority and an immigrant, while linked in this situation, are not the same thing. Someone who is a visible minority being offended would be the same as an American immigrant being offended, like... of course you weren’t, that’d be ridiculous. I get offended sometimes when who I am is directly attacked, but I’m not going around getting offended at every comment about every “adjacent” or linked community, are you? Is this some sort of notable exception for you?

My overall point is that you’re making a lot of assumptions from a position without a lot of relevance. I wasn’t offended, but I’ve got enough awareness to realise that, even despite having grown up with that context and watching Cherry for the majority of my life, I can understand why people were offended and see his comments for what they were (either xenophobic or trolling, Cherry is above neither).

I also find it interesting that you and other are advocating for this grander context to judge his comments. But you don’t seem willing to judge his firing by any wider context. It’s outrage culture reacting to a singular moment, instead of a broadcaster who has lost his touch and has been at his end for half a decade at least, teetering on the edge of dismissal for the last year, making a comment and finally seeing the end because he couldn’t even apologise.

Cherry went out on his terms. To pretend otherwise is to not understand Don Cherry in the slightest.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 11-16-2019, 11:45 AM   #1264
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

I find it interesting how many people latch on to a single preferred piece of information and build a story around it that fits their narrative and agenda, rather than taking the story including that and many other pieces of information, and considering how that data point is part of the story, and what makes sense.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:48 AM   #1265
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find it interesting that you are concluding that people are doing that because it doesn't align to your opinion.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:51 AM   #1266
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

I find it interesting that you allocated your own reason to it, as it is something quite simple to observe and demonstrate on this page alone.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:54 AM   #1267
PegCityFlamesFan
First Line Centre

Exp:

This topic is why I am glad I deleted Facebook.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:59 AM   #1268
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

I find it interesting that this thread just keeps on keeping on.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crapshoot For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 12:08 PM   #1269
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegCityFlamesFan View Post
This topic is why I am glad I deleted Facebook.
God I wish I could!!!
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 12:09 PM   #1270
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
He should have done what passes for an apology nowadays. "I'm sorry YOU were offended.". It actually works really well.

I mean you look at Jessica Allen's apology and CTV's apology

We apologize to anyone that was offended by her remarks.

And her apology after she basically stereotyped based on what was probably her exposure to a small percentage of hockey players and their parents.

"I apologize to the people I offended"

In other words, If you do that, you're basically saying. The people that I apologize to are horrible people, but I have to apologize to keep my job.

Cherry needed a good spin consultant more then anything else.

I don't agree with Cherry's initial comments, because I see more of a general, and young group not wearing poppies. However, the right to wear or not wear poppies was something that was established by fighting for rights of freedom of speech and expression, which is what those veterans fought for knowing or unknowing.

I do fine that as right as it was that Cherry was tossed for his comments because it went against what is the demographic of the media, its hilarious that Ron who is terrible at his job, sat there with the thumbs up at the end of the Cherry Rant and he got to keep his job because of an apology that was

I apologize because I sat there and didn't do my job as the host of the segment and gave a big thumbs up to Cherry so sorry to those I offended.

To me lately, all of these celebrity apologies are meaningless because

1) They're being told to apologize or lose their huge paychecks, so they do. Its meaningless. Its like that criminal at a sentencing hearing apologizing for what he did because it will look good on him.

2) The whole, I apologize if you were offended because you clearly aren't as enlightened and awesome as me.

Cherry was absolutely wrong and whether it was a grammatical and verbal stumble or he meant it to be a racist statement is still being debated. And he's standing his ground, he's not making an apology based on false tears and the scribbled notes of a public relations expert and if that's the way he goes out, then so be it, and if he believes its going out on his own terms and that gets him to sleep through the night so be it.

Jessica Allen made a horrible statement, and put out a apology that wasn't an apology and she had people rallying around her and giving her high fives. Instead of fired, its the power of the phony apology.

Ron Maclean kept his job because he was "Sawrry" and he was willing to throw Cherry under the bus.

On the people not wearing the poppy.

As someone who served, I frankly don't give a crap if you choose to not wear a poppy or take a freaking minute on November 11th to reflect, or at least one day a year take the time to talk to your kids about the day, and the meaning and what was sacrificed. That's absolutely your right and if you don't lecture me (Like one fellow did a couple of years ago) about the fascist meaning of the Poppy as a symbol of Western Imperialism, we'll never have a problem.

Its your right to choose what you do and live your life, and live with the decision that you make and how your present yourself and your views.

I'm more concerned with the fading legacy of things like remembrance day as schools spend very little time talking about the horrors of war, and the sacrifice of these young men and woman, in wars that were completely unnecessary (WW1), necessary in the fight against a murderous group of men (WW2) etc. History is important, the lessons of sacrifice and they why's are important. If we don't teach it, we lose the lessons that it emphasizes and makes necessary.

Oh and I'm apologize in advance for those that I've offended with my rant.
There is nothing wrong with apologizing if someone is offended if you know it is because of you wording it wrong. If you are going to claim people misunderstood your intent own the mistake and apologize.
Red Potato Standing By is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:08 PM   #1271
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

My mistake was falling into this rabbit hole of a thread. I’m so sorry.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:19 PM   #1272
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of all the things to fire Cherry for, this was the dumbest. RSN still living in 2017 Cancel-culture land.

Imagine he'll land @ TSN shortly
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 01:30 PM   #1273
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Potato Standing By View Post
There is nothing wrong with apologizing if someone is offended if you know it is because of you wording it wrong. If you are going to claim people misunderstood your intent own the mistake and apologize.
I'm saying this not in defense of Cherry but just overall, you're going offend people no matter how anything is worded. IMO, something has occurred in two generations that has allowed us to become so incredibly thin skinned about anything and everything that people have to dance on eggshells. Honestly I think its causing far more mental illness like anxiety and stress than any other time before. And this isn't related to specifics, just a grand sweeping generalization of society today.

Obama had it correct last week IMO, it's pretty reckless how people are casting stones so quickly at anything that rubs them even the slightest.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 02:15 PM   #1274
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

I agree with Bobby Orr that what was done to Cherry was "distasteful". I would probably have used the word, "disgusting". I also agree that in no way is Cherry a racist. I am really disappointed at the way Cherry is leaving us... I feel it should have been handled in a much more understanding and mature manner.

There are so very few things in our culture which tend to spur our sense of allegiance and patriotism. I think it's worth noting that the two main things that Canada is best known for around the world are 1. hockey and 2. our fierce fighting ability in past wars. You may not have agreed with many of the things Cherry said, but IMO it would be difficult to ignore his contribution to making us feel proud to be a Canadian.

I don't pretend to know what was in Cherry's mind when he made his remark about immigrants. But maybe he has observed that many immigrants hold a dual allegiance to Canada and to the country from which they came. In addition, he may have considered their not buying poppies as a lack of appreciation for their new found freedoms and the sacrifices made to allow it to happen.

I'm just saying, but perhaps a little more education should be directed to immigrants regarding the things I have discussed above. If that makes me a racist...then I must be a racist.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesfever For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 02:32 PM   #1275
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
I agree with Bobby Orr that what was done to Cherry was "distasteful". I would probably have used the word, "disgusting". I also agree that in no way is Cherry a racist. I am really disappointed at the way Cherry is leaving us... I feel it should have been handled in a much more understanding and mature manner.

There are so very few things in our culture which tend to spur our sense of allegiance and patriotism. I think it's worth noting that the two main things that Canada is best known for around the world are 1. hockey and 2. our fierce fighting ability in past wars. You may not have agreed with many of the things Cherry said, but IMO it would be difficult to ignore his contribution to making us feel proud to be a Canadian.

I don't pretend to know what was in Cherry's mind when he made his remark about immigrants. But maybe he has observed that many immigrants hold a dual allegiance to Canada and to the country from which they came. In addition, he may have considered their not buying poppies as a lack of appreciation for their new found freedoms and the sacrifices made to allow it to happen.

I'm just saying, but perhaps a little more education should be directed to immigrants regarding the things I have discussed above. If that makes me a racist...then I must be a racist.
Uh, citation needed. I can think of a few other things that people mention when they find out I'm Canadian before they ever bring up our fighting prowess. I'll grant you hockey since it's a stereotype.

And has been mentioned countless times in this thread already, no immigrant needs a lecture on how to appreciate Canada. They appreciate it far more than most natural Canadians do. It's a bad generalization, and I don't think there's any merit to it whatsoever.

I have to say, this is a concerning anti-immigrant trend in the western world, based on very little actual data and lots of xenophobia and being suspicious of "the other". It's far worse down here and it's led to some truly horrible politics.

Basically, don't let Canada become like the U.S. You're better than that.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 02:39 PM   #1276
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Most of the visible minorities i talked to were not offended. None of the visible minorities i talked to who watched don cherry growing up were offended. And I'm colored, so I know a lot of visible minorities. Do you know why we weren't offended? Because we took what he said the way he meant it, not the way he said it. Most of the visible minorities offended either dont watch hockey night in Canada, didn't watch don cherry growing up or are liberals living in outrage culture land.
If someone was offended by his comments, they don't watch hockey night in Canada?

I'm a visible minority, know a whole bunch of others, we all watch hockey night in Canada and grew up buying Rock'm Sock'm tapes.
I'm definitely not a social justice warrior, outrage culture type and do find that segment of our population annoying.

Yet I find what he said to be stupid, discriminatory and he clearly meant what he said.

Am I offended? Not really, I have thicker skin then that and bigger issues in life. But I'm also not naive enough to pretend he meant something else or isn't the person he is. Even Don Cherry will tell you that.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 03:35 PM   #1277
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

The guy showed his truly colours when he went on Tucker ####ing Carlson.

That's the end of it for me atleast.
Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 03:45 PM   #1278
Ford Prefect
Has Towel, Will Travel

Exp:

I just re-engaged with this forum recently. Mistake. Catch ya all in another 6-8 years.
Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ford Prefect For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 06:01 PM   #1279
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Well said by Ron in a tough spot.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 06:09 PM   #1280
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Well said by Ron in a tough spot.
For sure. He really is a pro.

The whole thing is just sad to me.

HNIC will never be the same.