Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who do you want as the Flames' new coach
Darryl Sutter 232 27.59%
Alain Vigneault 395 46.97%
Barry Trotz 72 8.56%
Bill Peters 31 3.69%
Lindy Ruff 16 1.90%
Dallas Eakins 16 1.90%
Sheldon Keefe 6 0.71%
Dave Tippett 30 3.57%
Someone else... 43 5.11%
Voters: 841. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2018, 11:56 AM   #1261
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Alain Vigneault was fired right after game 82. Gulutzan is still head coach, that makes me think there is still serious consideration being given to bringing him back next season.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 12:02 PM   #1262
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Alain Vigneault was fired right after game 82. Gulutzan is still head coach, that makes me think there is still serious consideration being given to bringing him back next season.
Possible.

From my experience every time I think I have things figured out behind the scenes I'm completely wrong.

Vigneault wouldn't be my choice.

It's Treliving so everything is being considered quite likely.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:03 PM   #1263
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Possible.

From my experience every time I think I have things figured out behind the scenes I'm completely wrong.

Who would be your choice, out of curiosity?
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:07 PM   #1264
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Possible.

The point isnt that they fired their coach, its that they made a decision and executed it promptly.

Whether you want AV or not, the real question is why the Calgary Flames havent made a decision yet.

Honestly, this whole 'Treliving considering everything' thing is beginning to look a lot like decision paralysis.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 12:09 PM   #1265
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I get that people like to post tidbits of "inside information" and ask Mod's to PM them and the sort. I imagine the CP Mod team does to some extent follow up on that but unfortunately the rest of us never know if said rumor does appear to have some validity to it.

Is there any way moving forward we can at least get confirmation that the source is at least somewhat reputable? I know the easiest solution is to just discredit everything said on the forum and wait until official news comes out but its nice to think as die hard fans we have some ability to see potential rumblings before the general public.

The last thing we want however is a bunch of people posting Eklund style E4 rumors and having this thread turn into a bunch of BS.

Is that a reasonable ask?
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:14 PM   #1266
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I like Royle's idea. Is it possible to have "verified" or some other such add under their username to know if a person has reputable sources? I mean, once properly vetted.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:16 PM   #1267
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
This is almost a certainty and highly troubling considering this is really a make or break year coming up for the entire franchise and it's current core of players. When you consider how the team finished it is likely that Gulutzan no longer has the confidence of the majority of the locker room. How do you possibly consider bringing this back for another crack?

Madness.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:18 PM   #1268
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I like Royle's idea. Is it possible to have "verified" or some other such add under their username to know if a person has reputable sources? I mean, once properly vetted.
I have clarified my source with both Bingo and Jiri.

Last edited by Incogneto; 04-17-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Incogneto For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 12:18 PM   #1269
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
The point isnt that they fired their coach, its that they made a decision and executed it promptly.

Whether you want AV or not, the real question is why the Calgary Flames havent made a decision yet.

Honestly, this whole 'Treliving considering everything' thing is beginning to look a lot like decision paralysis.

I think the Flames will only fire GG if there is someone better available who is also willing to coach in Calgary. I don’t think they want to run the risk of having to hire just “anyone”. If GG is let go, I expect the Flames to announce the replacement at the same time
ah123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:20 PM   #1270
Toonage

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCoGnEtO View Post
I have clarified my source with both Bingo and Jodi.
I don't doubt that. It would be handy to see users that have info such as yours with a "Verified" or something under their name so we know or are reminded that you have legit sources and so no one feels the need to ask you or question it. It would be useful, right?
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 12:21 PM   #1271
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

We traded Jiri for Jodi? Were there any picks involved?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 12:21 PM   #1272
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

I'm super torn to be honest.

I'm just as disappointed as everyone in how the season went, just not as quick to hang the coach for it as I really don't want a return to collapse down low, block shots and counter strike hockey as they had under Hartley.

I fear Vigneault's Ranger teams play a very Hartely-esque style, at least from what I've seen from Ranger fans and his underlying numbers.

But the Peters thing is odd too ... you replace one of two coaches that managed to miss the playoffs with numbers that would suggest otherwise with another ... but I do think Carolina stands out with their save percentage with Darling killing them.

On Treliving I certainly don't think you can hang decision paralysis on the man given the heat he's taking for moving picks, swapping goaltenders, and now potentially moving on to his third coach (one inherited).
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:22 PM   #1273
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah123 View Post
I think the Flames will only fire GG if there is someone better available who is also willing to coach in Calgary. I don’t think they want to run the risk of having to hire just “anyone”. If GG is let go, I expect the Flames to announce the replacement at the same time

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 04-17-2018, 12:22 PM   #1274
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't doubt that. It would be handy to see users that have info such as yours with a "Verified" or something under their name so we know or are reminded that you have legit sources and so no one feels the need to ask you or question it. It would be useful, right?
Well, the mod team hasn't outright said he is full of crap so I think it's safe to assume it's a good source.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:24 PM   #1275
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
This is almost a certainty and highly troubling considering this is really a make or break year coming up for the entire franchise and it's current core of players.
These expressions of absolutism and repeated ultimatums continue to be annoying and tiresome. There is nothing certain about the Flames' coaching situation aside from the fact that they have not yet announced their decision for next season. Moreover, I don't see how this next year will decide the ultimate future of the entire franchise. I agree, it is a big year, but let's not get carried away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:25 PM   #1276
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not doubting the fact that you did.

I'd just like even a reply from either of them on the thread to say "Confirmed" or "Source checks out" at the end of the day Bingo or Jiri hold no fault either way, but it confirms from a CP standpoint that the rest of us can at least feel somewhat comfortable with it.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 12:25 PM   #1277
Toonage

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Well, the mod team hasn't outright said he is full of crap so I think it's safe to assume it's a good source.
Of course, I'm not singling him out just thinking of a way that anyone who has info can be identified at a glance as being someone trustworthy. Like Royle said, you don't want a forum filled with Eklund types. Not trying to discredit anyone so much as make their life easier and make it easier for us regular types to identify the insiders here.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:27 PM   #1278
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm super torn to be honest.

I'm just as disappointed as everyone in how the season went, just not as quick to hang the coach for it as I really don't want a return to collapse down low, block shots and counter strike hockey as they had under Hartley.

I fear Vigneault's Ranger teams play a very Hartely-esque style, at least from what I've seen from Ranger fans and his underlying numbers.

But the Peters thing is odd too ... you replace one of two coaches that managed to miss the playoffs with numbers that would suggest otherwise with another ... but I do think Carolina stands out with their save percentage with Darling killing them.

On Treliving I certainly don't think you can hang decision paralysis on the man given the heat he's taking for moving picks, swapping goaltenders, and now potentially moving on to his third coach (one inherited).
Okay and that makes a degree of sense.

But lets use this comparison:

Our goaltenders totally failed last season. What did he do? Jettisoned them and got new ones.

Our coach has totally failed. What has he done? Why the thumb twiddling?

We all know why, because as coaches go so tend to GMs, but thats not necessarily the case here.

Honestly, I dont have a problem with analyzing things, but much like the jury is out on Gulutzan due to advanced stats that get analyzed over and over again sometimes you just have to make a call.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:27 PM   #1279
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
I'm not doubting the fact that you did.

I'd just like even a reply from either of them on the thread to say "Confirmed" or "Source checks out" at the end of the day Bingo or Jiri hold no fault either way, but it confirms from a CP standpoint that the rest of us can at least feel somewhat comfortable with it.
Quote:
Of course, I'm not singling him out just thinking of a way that anyone who has info can be identified at a glance as being someone trustworthy. Like Royle said, you don't want a forum filled with Eklund types. Not trying to discredit anyone so much as make their life easier and make it easier for us regular types to identify the insiders here.
I'm fairly sure that anytime someone posts a 'scoop' and says mods can PM them, they do. You're both assuming that the mods have to post to confirm it's legit, except I think they operate the other way and only post something if the source isn't legit.

It's 6 of one half dozen of the other. If the mods don't squash it then operate with the assumption that it's legit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 12:30 PM   #1280
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
I get that people like to post tidbits of "inside information" and ask Mod's to PM them and the sort. I imagine the CP Mod team does to some extent follow up on that but unfortunately the rest of us never know if said rumor does appear to have some validity to it.

Is there any way moving forward we can at least get confirmation that the source is at least somewhat reputable? I know the easiest solution is to just discredit everything said on the forum and wait until official news comes out but its nice to think as die hard fans we have some ability to see potential rumblings before the general public.

The last thing we want however is a bunch of people posting Eklund style E4 rumors and having this thread turn into a bunch of BS.

Is that a reasonable ask?
It isn't realistic.
What we do is typically ask the person for some sense of who they know and how. But we don't have any ability to
- Confirm they actually do know the person
- Confirm if the person said that to them
- Confirm if that information is accurate

And there is no way for us to do any of that.
In journalism typically you need two sources at least to go with something. That's also not realistic here.

I don't think this is a site with a ton of rumors, and in the past, stuff has broken here. But if folks want this stuff to be held to a high standard, it likely means we simply don't have any of it. That doesn't feel right either.

So I would say you should largely decide for yourselves what is legit and what isn't. If someone is posting something that is clearly misleading or false we will remove it, but if we don't remove it - it certainly isn't some sort of explicit verification that its true.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post: