Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2024, 03:34 PM   #1261
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Steve Albini, Noise Rock Pioneer and ‘In Utero’ Engineer, Dead at 61

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...it-1235017169/

This is a big loss for the music community. He's engineers some great albums. And I love his bands Big Black and Shellac.
I just saw this. I was a huge fan of his work. I love watching interviews with him too where he gets into the nitty gritty of the music industry. The guy really stayed true to himself. Much respect.

Also, the influence Big Black had on grunge music, especially Nirvana, can't be understated. This song is still on my regular playlist.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 05-08-2024 at 03:38 PM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2024, 03:39 PM   #1262
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
Damn, that's a shock. I'm a huge fan, one of the few rock producers who had dignity and ethics. Has there ever been another producer who actually turned down points on a record? Even though he was producing, he considered himself an engineer first and didn't think it was right to continue getting paid for a job that was already completed.

The guy was incredible.
Or like how he didn't gouge other artists. He insisted on reasonable rates and did not accept residuals. He felt it was unethical to keep getting a cut after the work was done.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 05-08-2024 at 03:46 PM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2024, 04:42 PM   #1263
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

His letter to Nirvana responding to them asking him to produce In Utero is great and lays out his philosophy. Here's the section on money/royalties:

Quote:
#5: Dough. I explained this to Kurt but I thought I'd better reiterate it here. I do not want and will not take a royalty on any record I record. No points. Period. I think paying a royalty to a producer or engineer is ethically indefensible. The band write the songs. The band play the music. It's the band's fans who buy the records. The band is responsible for whether it's a great record or a horrible record. Royalties belong to the band.

I would like to be paid like a plumber: I do the job and you pay me what it's worth. The record company will expect me to ask for a point or a point and a half. If we assume three million sales, that works out to 400,000 dollars or so. There's no ####ing way I would ever take that much money. I wouldn't be able to sleep.

I have to be comfortable with the amount of money you pay me, but it's your money, and I insist that you be comfortable with it as well. Kurt suggested paying me a chunk which I would consider full payment, and then if you really thought I deserved more, paying me another chunk after you'd had a chance to live with the album for a while. That would be fine, but probably more organizational trouble than it's worth.

Whatever. I trust you guys to be fair to me and I know you must be familiar with what a regular industry goon would want. I will let you make the final decision about what I'm going to be paid. How much you choose to pay me will not affect my enthusiasm for the record.

Some people in my position would expect an increase in business after being associated with your band. I, however, already have more work than I can handle, and frankly, the kind of people such superficialities will attract are not people I want to work with. Please don't consider that an issue.
I think he ended up taking $100K for it, which is about 1/20th of what he'd have gotten if he had taken a standard royalty rate. It's pretty rare that someone would stick to their principles like that in the face of a life-changing amount of money.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2024, 05:20 PM   #1264
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Good for business though too. He gave up the royalties but so many big bands wanted to work with him knowing he only needed to paid for the actual work on the album.

It definitely does seem wrong that producers should get royalties. Session musicians I don't think ever get royalties and I'm sure they add some of their own ideas to songs written by the main artist.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 05:43 PM   #1265
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Steve Albini, Noise Rock Pioneer and ‘In Utero’ Engineer, Dead at 61

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...it-1235017169/

This is a big loss for the music community. He's engineers some great albums. And I love his bands Big Black and Shellac.
Steve produced a record for local heroes Hot Little Rocket.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2024, 05:57 PM   #1266
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I was reading stories about how after riding the high of being the "Nirvana" guy, he bounced around between working for small bands, big bands, he didn't really care. After Nirvana, he worked with Bush and Plante/Page, while still taking on indie stuff for less money despite the demand for him.

I also recall some interesting stories about his DIY methods to producing ambience in a sound. For example, when working with the Pixies, he had Frank Black do the vocals inside a small bathroom to get his voice just right.
Old 05-08-2024, 07:57 PM   #1267
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's cool. I didn't know that.

One of the guys in the band, (Mark I think?) was a friend of a friend. We saw them at the Night Gallery I think, and he came up and told me that the halloween party I had at my house a year or two earlier was the best party he'd ever been to! I hadn't thought about that story in a good 15-20 years, but was pretty proud of it at the time, lol!
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 06:18 PM   #1268
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Rex Murphy of CBC Radio/National Post infamy.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 06:22 PM   #1269
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Love him or hate him he was entertaining and could spin a good yarn.

RIP Mr. Murphy.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 08:17 PM   #1270
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Love him or hate him he was entertaining and could spin a good yarn.

RIP Mr. Murphy.
I loved his rants during The National.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 08:19 PM   #1271
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked CBC Rex, disliked National Post Rex. Always a curmudgeon, just grumpier later on.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 08:44 PM   #1272
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He produced an album for some friends of mine what seems like forever ago.

They said he was the most laid back dude ever. When they asked him which hotel he wanted them to book him a room at he said he their couch was fine.

What a hero.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 09:09 PM   #1273
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Rex had an amazing ability to tell a tale and make a point, unfortunately in more recent years I felt him become a bit more unlikeable with some of his positions but still respected his style. Uniquely Canadian.
Whynotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 09:55 PM   #1274
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Good for business though too. He gave up the royalties but so many big bands wanted to work with him knowing he only needed to paid for the actual work on the album.

It definitely does seem wrong that producers should get royalties. Session musicians I don't think ever get royalties and I'm sure they add some of their own ideas to songs written by the main artist.

Some producers have a huge impact on the music. Brian Eno, love him or hate him, has his fingerprints all over some Bowie, U2, and Taking Heads albums. I think he would deserve royalties - those artists never sounded like that before.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 10:03 PM   #1275
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynotnow View Post
Rex had an amazing ability to tell a tale and make a point, unfortunately in more recent years I felt him become a bit more unlikeable with some of his positions but still respected his style. Uniquely Canadian.
He became a paid shill for big oil.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 10:22 PM   #1276
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Oh no anyway
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 10:55 PM   #1277
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Some producers have a huge impact on the music. Brian Eno, love him or hate him, has his fingerprints all over some Bowie, U2, and Taking Heads albums. I think he would deserve royalties - those artists never sounded like that before.
How the hell can you hate Brian Eno?

Anyway, Albini considered himself an engineer who would use his knowledge to help a band get the sound they're looking for. Eno is more of a collaborator who often added creative input. He definitely deserves credit for a lot of the records he produced sounding like they do.

I'm glad to see all of the tributes to Albini from artists he worked with. He had strong opinions about certain things that could rub people the wrong way, but he was well-liked.

He'll definitely be missed a lot more than Rex ####ing Murphy.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 11:44 PM   #1278
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How the hell can you hate Brian Eno?

Anyway, Albini considered himself an engineer who would use his knowledge to help a band get the sound they're looking for. Eno is more of a collaborator who often added creative input. He definitely deserves credit for a lot of the records he produced sounding like they do.

I'm glad to see all of the tributes to Albini from artists he worked with. He had strong opinions about certain things that could rub people the wrong way, but he was well-liked.

He'll definitely be missed a lot more than Rex ####ing Murphy.
I hope we get to hear the original In Utero record one day. In Utero has unmistakable "Albini" sounds and effects. Like you can really tell the difference between Butch Vig's Nevermind album and In Utero, engineered with Albini.

Unfortunately, even though Nirvana made the album they wanted, the record company thought it was not commercial enough and pressured Nirvana into allowing some re-engineering and mixing. I would love to hear the original version though... the one that freaked out the record execs and that Nirvana actually wanted to release. I bet it's awesome and would have sold just fine.

For the record, I also like a lot of Butch Vig's work, but it's a lot more polished I guess you could say which depending on the band, doesn't necessarily mean better. For Nirvana, I just think Albini's approach worked for their sound better.
Old 05-10-2024, 11:26 PM   #1279
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Sound Opinions - Chicago music journalists remember Albini:

https://pca.st/episode/f2a77ed0-9137...1-1e6f50124d38
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2024, 02:07 PM   #1280
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I hope we get to hear the original In Utero record one day. In Utero has unmistakable "Albini" sounds and effects. Like you can really tell the difference between Butch Vig's Nevermind album and In Utero, engineered with Albini.

Unfortunately, even though Nirvana made the album they wanted, the record company thought it was not commercial enough and pressured Nirvana into allowing some re-engineering and mixing. I would love to hear the original version though... the one that freaked out the record execs and that Nirvana actually wanted to release. I bet it's awesome and would have sold just fine.

For the record, I also like a lot of Butch Vig's work, but it's a lot more polished I guess you could say which depending on the band, doesn't necessarily mean better. For Nirvana, I just think Albini's approach worked for their sound better.
I mean, the released version of In Utero was Albini's mix other than Heart Shaped Box and All Apologies which were remixed. It was mastered after being mixed, which is standard procedure for commercial releases, though they went a bit more heavy handed than normal to try to polish the sound a bit. They reduced the dynamics, added a bit of reverb, and adjusted the EQ to try to boost the vocals.

The Albini version (without the heavy-handed mastering) was actually released accidentally on a vinyl re-release 20 years ago or so in Germany, and I've heard a rip of that. Because it's the same mix (other than the 2 songs) it really doesn't sound all that different. It's a bit drier, a bit duller, and the vocals do sound slightly buried in parts. But honestly, if I was listening to it casually I don't think I'd really notice a difference other than with the 2 remixed songs.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post: