Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2024, 11:51 AM   #12761
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendone View Post
Even if the food was Michelin star, the “kids gone wild” atmosphere turns it into a dump
Eat in the bar side, dude.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2024, 11:53 AM   #12762
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Man BPs gets a bad rap and I don't get why. It's a bazillion times better than Chuck E Cheese. Like, the food is actually good. The wings are good. The meteor pizza is awesome. Love the ceasar salad. Lunch specials are delicious and cheaper than McDonald's. Kids' prices are really good.

I'd say that after the Keg, it's probably Canada's best chain restaurant.
May a slice of pizza be thrown at your head and your meals be filled with screaming children.

They are good for kids sports tournaments when you have large groups. There pasta is frozen microwave dinner quality.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2024, 11:56 AM   #12763
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Man BPs gets a bad rap and I don't get why. It's a bazillion times better than Chuck E Cheese. Like, the food is actually good. The wings are good. The meteor pizza is awesome. Love the ceasar salad. Lunch specials are delicious and cheaper than McDonald's. Kids' prices are really good.

I'd say that after the Keg, it's probably Canada's best chain restaurant.
The food is okay. I do find it very overpriced for what it is.

I dont hate BPs and actually, I find that their pasta is better than their quite mediocre pizza.

We used to go to BPs all the time after soccer because it was one of the places that still served food that late.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 11:57 AM   #12764
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Eat in the bar side, dude.

Where are you that doesn’t have something better? Your kids are older, I presume from reading your posts, so you don’t need a “kid friendly” restaurant.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 12:00 PM   #12765
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

The hyperbole around restaurants gets so annoying, unless something is absolutely amazing it gets labelled as absolute garbage.

BP's is 'fine' there's nothing great about it but nothing terrible about it either. Overpriced, yeah, well what isn't. I'll give them credit for one thing, their beer is always ice cold.

I'm just going to go to a good neighborhood pub either way but that doesn't make other places horrible. When I take my grandma out for lunch and she wants to go to BP's, because it's where she would take me as a kid, I'm not going to pout. They have stuff I like
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2024, 12:10 PM   #12766
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I've already said this lately but whatever, here it is again. The one that really grinds my gears is whenever someone goes "That restaurant sucks, I can make a better xyz at home"

I can make pretty much everything better at home, if I'm going to a restaurant or even just grabbing fast food, clearly it's because I made the decision not to cook. Whether it's not having the ingredients, wanting to take the wife out, having someone else do the dishes or just being lazy in general. Doesn't matter, and it doesn't make something else bad.

Home cooking will almost always be better, but I don't really compare the two
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2024, 12:15 PM   #12767
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It grinds my gears when a large group dines out and they critique the food - it’s not about the food! We’re there to meet and talk in a more relaxed atmosphere, which doesn’t happen either if the group is too large.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Geraldsh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2024, 12:24 PM   #12768
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
It grinds my gears when a large group dines out and they critique the food - it’s not about the food! We’re there to meet and talk in a more relaxed atmosphere, which doesn’t happen either if the group is too large.
That one is a definite gear grinder for me.

I know what btimbit is saying, lots of these places? You're not there for "Haute Cuisine" you're there because theres too many goddamned people and you dont want to be responsible for cooking or cleaning.

You need to make peace with that concept and move along.

BPs is a strangely polarizing place. Largely, I dont like their food and I think its a bit pricy for what they offer. But they're open late, they serve you and they effectively have no rules.

I once was drinking a pitcher of beer while riding around the bar in someone's Segway that I found.

It didnt end well. I mean...it ended 'predictably' but thats not well.

You know what happened? We all had more beer and a laugh.

Thats Boston Pizza! Pure, sheer Anarchy. Anything goes so long as you pay the tab at the end.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-20-2024, 12:51 PM   #12769
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I think I've already said this lately but whatever, here it is again. The one that really grinds my gears is whenever someone goes "That restaurant sucks, I can make a better xyz at home"

I can make pretty much everything better at home, if I'm going to a restaurant or even just grabbing fast food, clearly it's because I made the decision not to cook. Whether it's not having the ingredients, wanting to take the wife out, having someone else do the dishes or just being lazy in general. Doesn't matter, and it doesn't make something else bad.

Home cooking will almost always be better, but I don't really compare the two
My main guideline for ordering is to choose something that I would not make at home (or at least not often). I made gnocchi in a cooking class once...which was cool, but I will never invest that labour to do it myself.

I like making brisket or ribs, but they take a bit of planning and intention to do, so I'm happy to skip the steps. Same with duck, lamb, shellfish, etc

In most of those cases (except brisket in which I am unmatched except for the restaurant whose recipe I use) the restaurant is pretty much guaranteed to beat me.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2024, 01:23 PM   #12770
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
My main guideline for ordering is to choose something that I would not make at home (or at least not often). I made gnocchi in a cooking class once...which was cool, but I will never invest that labour to do it myself.

I like making brisket or ribs, but they take a bit of planning and intention to do, so I'm happy to skip the steps. Same with duck, lamb, shellfish, etc

In most of those cases (except brisket in which I am unmatched except for the restaurant whose recipe I use) the restaurant is pretty much guaranteed to beat me.
Man…. Gnocchi is so easy! You just need a potato ricer and it’s like 20 mins of work.

Sorry, not the point. I recently added it to my cycle of dinners and once you get into the groove it’s so worth it.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 01:41 PM   #12771
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
The hyperbole around restaurants gets so annoying, unless something is absolutely amazing it gets labelled as absolute garbage.

BP's is 'fine' there's nothing great about it but nothing terrible about it either. Overpriced, yeah, well what isn't. I'll give them credit for one thing, their beer is always ice cold.

I'm just going to go to a good neighborhood pub either way but that doesn't make other places horrible. When I take my grandma out for lunch and she wants to go to BP's, because it's where she would take me as a kid, I'm not going to pout. They have stuff I like
That is why BPs exists.

No one hates it.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2024, 04:24 PM   #12772
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Where are you that doesn’t have something better? Your kids are older, I presume from reading your posts, so you don’t need a “kid friendly” restaurant.
I don't go there much, but I feel compelled to defend it since it truly isn't as bad as people say.

And yeah, kids are older...I'm pretty sure our kids go to the same high school, dude. Even the same grade.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 04:35 PM   #12773
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I’m fairly pro BPs just for the reason that their kids meals are great value and in many smaller towns they are your best bet for a decent eating experience. However, we’re on a bit of a boycott since the last time we went it was one of the worst restaurant experiences I’ve ever had. They didn’t have a ton of items on the menu and the food we did order was awful. All 5 meals were borderline inedible and two of them were kids mac and cheese! We’ll have to give them a shot again one of these days.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 04:35 PM   #12774
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Forgot to say, BP’s perogy pizza is fantastic!
The Following User Says Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2024, 04:39 PM   #12775
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only thing I hate at BPs is the price. Menu is pretty decent. Most people can find something there they like.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 04:46 PM   #12776
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
I’m fairly pro BPs just for the reason that their kids meals are great value and in many smaller towns they are your best bet for a decent eating experience. However, we’re on a bit of a boycott since the last time we went it was one of the worst restaurant experiences I’ve ever had. They didn’t have a ton of items on the menu and the food we did order was awful. All 5 meals were borderline inedible and two of them were kids mac and cheese! We’ll have to give them a shot again one of these days.
This is my experience as well. Have had good meals and service from some BP's and there are some I'll never frequent again. One in Waterloo was so dirty and slow. The staff never bothered cleaning plates from tables after patrons left and generally gave off the vibe that they couldn't care less. Fernie is another one that I'll skip.

Spent way too many a night in the Avenida lounge way back in the day with buddies. Those were good times and maybe the reason for my sweet spot for them.
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 04:53 PM   #12777
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
Forgot to say, BP’s perogy pizza is fantastic!
Ooh...yes. I must concur.

Its tough to get a good perogy pizza but BPs smashes it.

I'll definitely agree with that.

Old 01-20-2024, 05:05 PM   #12778
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't go there much, but I feel compelled to defend it since it truly isn't as bad as people say.

And yeah, kids are older...I'm pretty sure our kids go to the same high school, dude. Even the same grade.

I don’t know. We’re NWers, so maybe same grade but probably not the same schools.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2024, 06:06 PM   #12779
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Ooh...yes. I must concur.

Its tough to get a good perogy pizza but BPs smashes it.

I'll definitely agree with that.
I used to travel to a lot of small towns for work and I have housed an obscene amount of perogy pizza and boneless wings. Perogy pizza was nice because it was decent cold, so was a nice breaky the next morning too.
Old 01-20-2024, 06:14 PM   #12780
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really liked the detroit-style perogy pizza from POW. I wish the owner wasn’t such a a dick so I could get it without feeling bad about myself.