Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2024, 11:42 AM   #12601
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Maybe this "environment" thing doesn't sound so bad after all. Can I drive my truck on it?
As long as you put a "#### TRUDEAU" sticker on the rear window and attach some truck nuts as well, yes. Don't forget your sunglasses and Monster energy drink for maximum enjoyment!
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 12:19 PM   #12602
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like some weird things going on with the Conservative nomination in Signal Hill.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1804708028165591343

https://twitter.com/user/status/1805018884044419541

https://twitter.com/user/status/1805281136286826621
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 12:25 PM   #12603
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jeremy Nixon supported Danielle Smith in her leadership, the dude has zero credibility in my book. Hasn't he been collecting taxpayer dollars for some cushy gig she gave him? Another career Conservative, unemployable in the real world. I guess he's in good company with Pierre.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 12:44 PM   #12604
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That first tweet, how do you win 'with a single vote'? There was only one vote cast?
Unless thats a mistake and meant to say won by a single vote.
puffnstuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 01:07 PM   #12605
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
That first tweet, how do you win 'with a single vote'? There was only one vote cast?
Unless thats a mistake and meant to say won by a single vote.
If only I knew how to share a gif
https://giphy.com/gifs/thesimpsons-t...MJUDtwM5K2BSnu
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2024, 01:09 PM   #12606
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2024, 03:07 PM   #12607
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Podcast about women becoming more liberal
indes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 05:51 AM   #12608
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Conservatives win former Liberal stronghold riding in midtown Toronto. You would have to think the knives are out for Trudeau in his own party now. If Liberals can lose to Conservatives in midtown Toronto than all Liberal MPs can lose anywhere. I can't see how anyone in the party can let Trudeau take them into the next election.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/conservat...nada-1.6938203

Quote:
Conservative candidate Don Stewart secured a byelection victory in the longtime Liberal stronghold of Toronto -- St. Paul's.

Stewart won by just 590 votes over Liberal Leslie Church in a surprise win for Pierre Poilievre and his Conservatives once all the polls reported early Tuesday morning.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2024, 06:07 AM   #12609
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Blech. 45% turnout. Ontario voter apathy wins again.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 06:38 AM   #12610
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't 45% not bad for a byelection?
Old 06-25-2024, 06:38 AM   #12611
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
Conservatives win former Liberal stronghold riding in midtown Toronto. You would have to think the knives are out for Trudeau in his own party now. If Liberals can lose to Conservatives in midtown Toronto than all Liberal MPs can lose anywhere. I can't see how anyone in the party can let Trudeau take them into the next election.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/conservat...nada-1.6938203
I would agree with you. No way that the Liberals are going into an election with Trudeau at this point? It was already a dumb idea, but once you start losing ridings like that it has to be over.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 06:44 AM   #12612
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, I see what happened to the Liberals, the vote got split:

https://enr.elections.ca/ElectoralDi...ed=2237&lang=e

Jacques Saintonge's 2 votes could have been useful. That's unreal. What is the point of that many people running who have zero chance? A grift?
Old 06-25-2024, 06:48 AM   #12613
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Typical vote split. You'd think with so many angry people against Trudeau voter turnout would have been higher. I suspect there was some "Libs will win, no need" and "I don't like any option" voters who stayed home. I mean 500 votes is hardly a resounding victory. Stewart even had a concession speech before the late rally of votes that put him over the top.
Old 06-25-2024, 06:59 AM   #12614
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Typical vote split. You'd think with so many angry people against Trudeau voter turnout would have been higher. I suspect there was some "Libs will win, no need" and "I don't like any option" voters who stayed home. I mean 500 votes is hardly a resounding victory. Stewart even had a concession speech before the late rally of votes that put him over the top.
You don’t think it’s a problem for the Liberals? They had been winning that riding in a walk since the 1988 election. They were winning by a 2-1 margin with half or over half the vote for 30 years until yesterday. This isn’t just “vote split” or “voter apathy”. This is potentially Liberals staying home because they don’t like the idea of voting for the CPC, but aren’t supporting Trudeau.

This is a disaster for the Liberals though. You lose ridings like that one and it doesn’t bode well for ridings that are actually contested.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2024, 07:02 AM   #12615
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Of course it's a disaster. But I suspect it flips back next time. This is more of a warning shot to the Libs to change leaders.
Old 06-25-2024, 07:11 AM   #12616
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
It's not the margin of victory of the story but rather the riding in which it occurred. This particular riding was won by ~25% in the last election when the Conservatives outpaced the Liberals in the popular vote countrywide. The Calgary equivalent would be if the Liberals won Calgary Crowfoot or similar riding.

There really isn't any amount of copium that can dismiss the message this sends for Trudeau's leadership. If the Liberals are losing this riding under any circumstances they are probably facing a snowplow similar to Mulroney's 1984 victory / PC's wipeout of 1993 in the election next year if they at minimum don't change leadership.

If I were in the executive of that party I would be pushing Trudeau out and trying to get a leadership race / convention in place before the end of the year to give the new leader time to properly introduce themselves to Canadians.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 07:21 AM   #12617
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Yeah sure. And we can all agree it's more of an indictment on Trudeau and the Libs than it is a thumbs up for conservatism. But 500 votes is a razor thin margin, and this could have gone to the Libs again even with a protest vote.
Old 06-25-2024, 07:28 AM   #12618
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

I still think the Cons are going to lose, but this is absolutely a disaster for the LIbs, and dismissing it as a protest vote or a warning shot is underestimating it a lot, I think. This had been a Liberal riding for over 30 years and they always won rather healthily. The Cons haven't even had a decent vote count there since the 80s.

76 people on the ballot were as part of a protest looking for electoral reform.

Sure, the vote-splitting helped the Cons, but there's no guarantee those people wouldn't have voted Con - or voted at all. The NDP had 4000 votes, the Greens just over 1000, and the only other one over 100 had 234. All the other candidates other than the main 4, only got 1334 votes or so between them.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 07:31 AM   #12619
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
I still think the Cons are going to lose, but this is absolutely a disaster for the LIbs, and dismissing it as a protest vote or a warning shot is underestimating it a lot, I think. This had been a Liberal riding for over 30 years and they always won rather healthily. The Cons haven't even had a decent vote count there since the 80s.

76 people on the ballot were as part of a protest looking for electoral reform.

Sure, the vote-splitting helped the Cons, but there's no guarantee those people wouldn't have voted Con - or voted at all. The NDP had 4000 votes, the Greens just over 1000, and the only other one over 100 had 234. All the other candidates other than the main 4, only got 1334 votes or so between them.
It's a disaster for Trudeau. It could be good news for Liberals who see it as a big risk to go into the next election with him leading. Lots of time to replace him, but it's still going to be an uphill battle for a new leader to not be seen as more of the same after so many years.
Old 06-25-2024, 07:38 AM   #12620
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's a disaster for Trudeau. It could be good news for Liberals who see it as a big risk to go into the next election with him leading. Lots of time to replace him, but it's still going to be an uphill battle for a new leader to not be seen as more of the same after so many years.
If this is any sort of indication, the Liberals are hooped regardless. Trudeau has stained the Liberal brand that badly.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...928d926fa.html