Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 06:02 AM   #1241
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post
will i have any problems downloading and burning my movies from the torrent sites with the mac?

nope just get Toast for burning and Azureus for torrents.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:03 AM   #1242
Ayrahb
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post
Ok I am in the market for a new laptop and I have two choices with my education discount I get.

#1 Dell Inspiron XPS 1330 - $1699
Feature wise, I don't know how much of a discount that is. I guess smaller size has its advantages and XPS seems to be more expensive. Here is what I got from Dell for my work four weeks ago:

Price:$1,479 + GST

Inspiron 1520, Intel Core 2 Duo T7300, 2.0GHz, 800Mhz, 4M L2 Cache
2GB, DDR2, 667MHz 2 Dimm
Glossy, widescreen 15.4 inch display
256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
120G 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Windows Vista Business Edition
8X DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Mod

Last edited by Ayrahb; 10-10-2007 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:56 AM   #1243
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you just want the computer to work and not have to worry about performance degradation due to internet browsing and spyware, buy the Mac.

If you're up on how to maintain your PC so that it remains clean, the Dell is a faster machine. Cept, wipe Vista off it and put WindowsXP back on. I'd recommend Linux but that requires alot of work to setup and maintain for the average user.

Easiest solution is the buy the MacBook though.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:56 PM   #1244
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSpooge View Post
nope just get Toast for burning and Azureus for torrents.
Bits on Wheels for Torrents. Check it out.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:00 PM   #1245
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Bits on Wheels for Torrents. Check it out.

it seems that BoW won't let you piece of files from a directory torrent.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:05 PM   #1246
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
it seems that BoW won't let you piece of files from a directory torrent.
Exsqueeze me? Do you mean .rar files?
Old 10-11-2007, 06:19 PM   #1247
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeah it sounds like it could be a flaky hard drive, though usually that shows up when you boot (most newer computers have a system that monitors the health of a hard drive).

Checking the hard drive would be a good step, most manufacturers have software on their sites now that you can download, burn to CD, and boot from and test and format the hard drive, that's what I would probably do at this point. That kind of corruption isn't normal.
It might be the harddrive but the S.M.A.R.T. system you are referring do doesn't usually corrupt HAL.DLL, but rather gives you a warning at boot or stops the computer from proceeding to access the harddrive anyway. HAL.dll erros are usually caused by the computer crashing or memory corrupting when the computer is going through a vulnerable part of the boot-up process when it's accessing the registry. A power interruption or memory failure then can corrupt the registry...or it could be any other hardware failure in the system at that point. HAL.dll allows Windows to interact with your hardware.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:48 PM   #1248
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Exsqueeze me? Do you mean .rar files?

I mean torrents that are directories. With most clients you can take out individual files rather than the entire directory.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:19 PM   #1249
Drunk Skunk
Obscure Jersey Wiz

Exp:

I have a problem with Quicktime. Whenever I try to view a video, it looks like I am viewing it through a bug's eye or kaleidoscope. Example -

Can anyone help? I am updated.

Minor league attitude, major league pain
Old 10-12-2007, 04:29 AM   #1250
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Skunk View Post
I have a problem with Quicktime. Whenever I try to view a video, it looks like I am viewing it through a bug's eye or kaleidoscope. Example -

Can anyone help? I am updated.
Completely uninstall Quicktime and get Quicktime Alternative.
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm
Old 10-13-2007, 04:00 PM   #1251
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean torrents that are directories. With most clients you can take out individual files rather than the entire directory.
Ah. That would actually be handy. Didn't even know that was possible.

I like the 3d swarm view in Bits on Wheels.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:17 PM   #1252
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Ah. That would actually be handy. Didn't even know that was possible.

I like the 3d swarm view in Bits on Wheels.

I can't stand a client that doesn't have it ... I use utorrent on my PC but they haven't made a version for any other OS
Old 10-13-2007, 07:00 PM   #1253
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can't stand a client that doesn't have it ... I use utorrent on my PC but they haven't made a version for any other OS
And the private tracker I like to use won't allow any of the newer version of uTorrent due to some of the "features" that have been included. Azureus I think allows you to select certain files, but I can't say for sure since I haven't used it for years (since it was a real resource hog).

One other nice thing I've done was to look in the file and set the files I want first to a high priority. So when downloading a TV series I set the first few episodes to high priority so they download first and I can start watching while the rest downloads.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 10-13-2007, 07:07 PM   #1254
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
And the private tracker I like to use won't allow any of the newer version of uTorrent due to some of the "features" that have been included. Azureus I think allows you to select certain files, but I can't say for sure since I haven't used it for years (since it was a real resource hog).

One other nice thing I've done was to look in the file and set the files I want first to a high priority. So when downloading a TV series I set the first few episodes to high priority so they download first and I can start watching while the rest downloads.
Azureus allows file selection. It isn't too much of a resource hog any more, but java being a native thing on a mac helps as well.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:49 PM   #1255
madisonbtb
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

i bought a desktop quite a while ago and had them install extra ram in it. but i don't think it was installed correctly or not compatible b/c it blue screens every time i use it. it may work for 1/2 hour, but then blue screens. it is a computer that is basically for my son so i never got around to taking it back to the store to have them fix it. is there a way to just disable the extra ram until i can have someone look at it?
Old 10-15-2007, 04:23 PM   #1256
Ayrahb
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonbtb View Post
i bought a desktop quite a while ago and had them install extra ram in it. but i don't think it was installed correctly or not compatible b/c it blue screens every time i use it. it may work for 1/2 hour, but then blue screens. it is a computer that is basically for my son so i never got around to taking it back to the store to have them fix it. is there a way to just disable the extra ram until i can have someone look at it?
If you feel adventurous: http://www.associatedcontent.com/vid..._computer.html
Old 10-15-2007, 07:57 PM   #1257
Sparks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hi guys. Something kind of weird has been happening to me on the internet. 90% of the time, everything works perfectly, but every once and a while, I don't get any pictures at all. Even the smiley faces on Calgarypuck don't show up.

When that's happening, the text on the pages loads just fine. It stays like that for probably an hour on average. Is it Shaw Cable, maybe?

I'm on Internet Explorer. The cable modem is plugged into my computer through a router.

If anyone has any ideas, thanks in advance - I really appreciate it. I'm at a loss on this one.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:31 PM   #1258
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
Hi guys. Something kind of weird has been happening to me on the internet. 90% of the time, everything works perfectly, but every once and a while, I don't get any pictures at all. Even the smiley faces on Calgarypuck don't show up.

When that's happening, the text on the pages loads just fine. It stays like that for probably an hour on average. Is it Shaw Cable, maybe?

I'm on Internet Explorer. The cable modem is plugged into my computer through a router.

If anyone has any ideas, thanks in advance - I really appreciate it. I'm at a loss on this one.
It's not likely a problem with your connection or hardware. This is definitely a software issue, and I highly suspect it's Internet Explorer that's mucking up.

When it happens, try pressing "F5" to refresh the page. If that doesn't help, try clearing your browsing history and temporary internet files (its in IE's option dialogues).

If that all fails to fix it, I suggest using a better browser. Mozilla Firefox is a really great replacement.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:31 PM   #1259
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonbtb View Post
Take it out?
Old 10-16-2007, 10:50 PM   #1260
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had this problem with tsn.ca with videos where I would get audio but a black screen (ie. no video) even though a bunch of other sites worked fine that also used flash. I found a solution that fixed it so I thought I'd post it here in case anyone else has a similar problem with tsn.ca or some other site. I think someone else also had this problem too.

My solution: Open up Windows Media Player. Select Tools->Option. Goto to the Performance tab and click the Advanced button. Under Video Acceleration, click the check box next to Use Overlays so that it is checked. This will automatically uncheck Use High Quality Mode option below it. Click OK till the end.
Closed Thread