Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2023, 08:56 AM   #1241
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
Many of us were before Rogers bought the team in 2000.
Rogers isn’t an enemy here IMO. I’m generally against corporations in how they act but for a corporation I think they’re running it like a passion but prudently. They’re not being cheap when they easily can.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2023, 09:01 AM   #1242
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
It's hilarious to me how many Western Canadians hate Toronto when it comes to hockey and get bamboozled by Rogers into the Blue Jays.
Well, we have a rival hockey team so its not a very confusing scenario.

Why would that correlate to baseball?
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 09:05 AM   #1243
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's hilarious to me how many Western Canadians hate Toronto when it comes to hockey and get bamboozled by Rogers into the Blue Jays.
If we ever got an MLB team here (which is not in any way realistic) I would immediately switch allegiances, buy season tickets, and become a mega-fan.

But that will never happen.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 09:19 AM   #1244
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
Rogers isn’t an enemy here IMO. I’m generally against corporations in how they act but for a corporation I think they’re running it like a passion but prudently. They’re not being cheap when they easily can.
Yeah. Rogers has invested pretty heavily in the team.

I, like many others, became a Blue Jays fan at least a decade before Rogers bought the team. I watched them as a little kid on TSN and CBC before Sportsnet even existed.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2023, 09:38 AM   #1245
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
I don't hate Toronto when it comes to hockey... I'm fairly indifferent to the Maple Leafs (and have mildly liked them in the past). I just hate how much if the media oxygen they take up... if the Flames were part of a10 player trade with multiple 1st round picks the lead national story would be about Matthew's new fidget spinner the 2nd lead story would be about the trade and the 3rd lead story would be about how the trade affects the Maple Leafs. I don't blame the Leafs for that I blame the media.

Regardless this is about the Jays and I've been a fan of the Jays since I was a little kid (which is more years then I care to admit).
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2023, 10:08 AM   #1246
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
just hate how much if the media oxygen they take up.
Exactly, I got force-fed them growing up before Sportsnet came along and I was able to actually watch the Flames consistently. So I grew up just being sick of them.

But I can't say I hate them. If they win it doesn't annoy me like it does with the Oilers. I cheered for them against Florida in the playoffs and I'll always cheer for them against the Oilers and Canucks.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 11:41 AM   #1247
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
#### 'em both?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2023, 01:15 PM   #1248
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Yamamoto met with the Dodgers yesterday. In attendance at the meeting were Betts, Freeman, and of course Shohei. So we all know where he's going to end up.

Less disappointed about this one if it happens. For the money he's going to command there is no guarantee he'll be any good in the MLB. But just humorous how this offseason is shaping up like every other one with all big players landing in NY or LA.
flamingred89 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamingred89 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2023, 02:11 PM   #1249
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, Yama will probably be a Dodger too. Plus the Dodgers are apparently working on a trade with Tampa for Glasnow lol

Buehler
Glasnow
Yamamoto

Plus they'll probably sign Kershaw back too.

Three MVP's in their line up plus a few other 3-4 WAR guys.

Probably win 110+ games next season.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 02:15 PM   #1250
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember when the Jays were just coming out of the rebuild and Betts was close to FA, and thinking boy it'd be nice to snag him to put us over the top. Then the Dodgers traded for him and extended him.

Then I hope the Jays would get Freeman when he went FA, didn't matter if we had Vlad either, Freddie is better. Then he signed with the Dodgers.

Now this off season it's Ohtani, and maybe Yama too.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 02:44 PM   #1251
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
I don't hate Toronto when it comes to hockey... I'm fairly indifferent to the Maple Leafs (and have mildly liked them in the past). I just hate how much if the media oxygen they take up... if the Flames were part of a10 player trade with multiple 1st round picks the lead national story would be about Matthew's new fidget spinner the 2nd lead story would be about the trade and the 3rd lead story would be about how the trade affects the Maple Leafs. I don't blame the Leafs for that I blame the media.

Regardless this is about the Jays and I've been a fan of the Jays since I was a little kid (which is more years then I care to admit).
Well, they do the same thing with baseball that they do with the Leafs but I think it's even worse. It's like there's one team in the league when they do stories or show highlights.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 02:50 PM   #1252
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

LA hasn’t been in my list of dislikable teams. Actually I’d say generally they’ve been a likeable big market franchise. This year that all changes if they sign guys. I’ll hate them and hope every single one of those guys cracks a nail and is out long term. I dispose teams that spend endlessly to address deficiencies. It’s lazy. If they sign and trade for the guys being rumoured they’ll become enemy #1.
Old 12-13-2023, 02:52 PM   #1253
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
LA hasn’t been in my list of dislikable teams. Actually I’d say generally they’ve been a likeable big market franchise. This year that all changes if they sign guys. I’ll hate them and hope every single one of those guys cracks a nail and is out long term. I dispose teams that spend endlessly to address deficiencies. It’s lazy. If they sign and trade for the guys being rumoured they’ll become enemy #1.
Texas just did that exact thing.
Old 12-13-2023, 02:58 PM   #1254
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Texas just did that exact thing.
To me wasn’t even close to as noticeable. It’s really only the Yanks, Sox, Padres and Mets who do it here and there and as a bias those teams drive me crazy.
Old 12-13-2023, 03:06 PM   #1255
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
To me wasn’t even close to as noticeable. It’s really only the Yanks, Sox, Padres and Mets who do it here and there and as a bias those teams drive me crazy.
I definitely noticed it because I hate them. But there's envy to it as well, since Seattle did create a pretty decent young team and instead of spending at all to address deficiencies, they're cost cutting because the owners are cheap.

40,000 people going to the games and they're running the team like they want to be the next A's. At least Toronto was willing to pay even though they lost a bidding war.
The Following User Says Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2023, 03:07 PM   #1256
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, they do the same thing with baseball that they do with the Leafs but I think it's even worse. It's like there's one team in the league when they do stories or show highlights.
It's not the same though because there's not multiple Canadian MLB teams who they're taking coverage away from. Not every Canadian is a Blue Jays fan but they still have a large fanfare country wide who will invade places like Seattle and Minneapolis when they visit.
Old 12-13-2023, 03:23 PM   #1257
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
It's not the same though because there's not multiple Canadian MLB teams who they're taking coverage away from. Not every Canadian is a Blue Jays fan but they still have a large fanfare country wide who will invade places like Seattle and Minneapolis when they visit.
I get why they do it, but it doesn't make it any less annoying. It's like when ESPN SportsCenter shows hockey highlights here, they will show Bedard and hype it up like there's no tomorrow and completely bypass the highlights of a Winnipeg-Montreal game. I think if people like the sport they want to see what happens with all the teams.
Old 12-13-2023, 03:52 PM   #1258
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I get why they do it, but it doesn't make it any less annoying. It's like when ESPN SportsCenter shows hockey highlights here, they will show Bedard and hype it up like there's no tomorrow and completely bypass the highlights of a Winnipeg-Montreal game. I think if people like the sport they want to see what happens with all the teams.
I don't know how it is in the States but Sportsnet atleast tries to show highlights from every game even if they spend too much time gushing about the Leafs and Oilers.

It's understandable for the local team to get the focus. In the Blue Jays case they're the local team for an entire country just like the Raptors. The Leafs aren't even though Sportsnet treats them like they are.
Old 12-13-2023, 03:53 PM   #1259
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

This offseason is becoming more like the actual season. A complete disaster. Still early but I don't think we are going to like the end result.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 04:08 PM   #1260
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
This offseason is becoming more like the actual season. A complete disaster. Still early but I don't think we are going to like the end result.
You’re probably right, because they’re likely to either make a make-up signing which will be an inflated amount or term, or they’ll do nothing and be like the Flames. Anyway, it’s kinda weird but I feel a bit of empathy for them right now after missing out on the big fish. I’m a weird way they feel like underdogs now and more likeable though they haven’t done jack squat.