Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2023, 09:44 AM   #1241
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dad and I are going to renew. The Games are a lot of fun. Just say a prayer that the ring road finishes before the season is over so we can cut our drive down from 1:15 to 1 hour flat.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 12:35 PM   #1242
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's nuts. With the west ring road, I can get from Killarney to Spruce Meadows in 15-20 mins.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 03:17 PM   #1243
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Dad and I are going to renew. The Games are a lot of fun. Just say a prayer that the ring road finishes before the season is over so we can cut our drive down from 1:15 to 1 hour flat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
It's nuts. With the west ring road, I can get from Killarney to Spruce Meadows in 15-20 mins.
The Tsuut'ina section opening a while back was a game changer when coming from the NW. The full opening of the West part will be another. They were hinting that it could be "summer 2024", and initially it was on track for October 2024. So I think that it would take a major, unforeseen delay to prevent us from using it at least once or twice next year.

I also renewed today along with Howie_16. When I spoke with guy on the phone, I asked him about the new parking arrangement. He says that it will be free for everyone and not just for season ticket holders, and that they definitely have room for all of those cars. Whether they can get them all in and out in an efficient manner remains to be seen...

He also suggested (unofficially, of course) that Cavalry's preferred kickoff time for the first playoff game is 3pm, but they are still awaiting their opponent, travel logistics, etc. before confirming, obviously. There are two matches on the 14th as well, so no doubt OneSoccer is another variable.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2023, 07:00 PM   #1244
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just ran into Leon…they’re expecting a sellout on Saturday. ~5,500.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2023, 08:01 PM   #1245
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
He also suggested (unofficially, of course) that Cavalry's preferred kickoff time for the first playoff game is 3pm, but they are still awaiting their opponent, travel logistics, etc. before confirming, obviously. There are two matches on the 14th as well, so no doubt OneSoccer is another variable.
It's tough to sell tickets when you don't know the time of the actual game. If they are waiting on OneSoccer it would be ridiculous that they have to wait around with their thumbs up their asses while the other game, which isn't set until 3 days before, is finalized.

Last edited by shermanator; 10-04-2023 at 08:06 PM.
shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 08:04 PM   #1246
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
The ticket map on Ticketmaster shows a few thousand seats available so I'm a little skeptical on that. Maybe they have a bunch of youth clubs buying big groups of seats.

Old 10-05-2023, 11:46 AM   #1247
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

So whats the deal, who do we plan round 1?
Old 10-05-2023, 01:03 PM   #1248
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
It's tough to sell tickets when you don't know the time of the actual game. If they are waiting on OneSoccer it would be ridiculous that they have to wait around with their thumbs up their asses while the other game, which isn't set until 3 days before, is finalized.
Quote:
So whats the deal, who do we plan round 1?
I am thinking/hoping that they'll release the playoff schedule after Saturday's games. The home teams for the first 3 matches will be set (4v5, 1v2, 3v4/5 winner). Of course, the remaining 2 matches after that could feature Cavalry at home one way or the other, so it doesn't help us a tonne yet.

I get that there are a lot of moving parts, but uncertainty for the fans isn't a great selling point either. I made tentative plans for the evening 14th on the condition that the Cavalry match will hopefully kick off no later than 3. That's an easy plan for me to break, but other people are trying to make more tricky arrangements with jobs, kids, families, etc.

Related - so is the final regular season match vs. Pacific definitely at 3 now, or is that still TBA?

EDIT: As I looked at the website to answer my own question (yes, it says 3pm for Pacific this Saturday), I also saw that they are saying 2pm for October 14th. Is that a placeholder, or is that new? 2pm would be just about perfect for daytime warmth, I can keep my evening plans, etc.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 10-05-2023 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-05-2023, 01:59 PM   #1249
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nearly a sure thing we play forge though right?
Old 10-05-2023, 02:51 PM   #1250
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nearly a sure thing we play forge though right?
If we beat Pacific, then definitely Forge regardless of any other results.

But... Cavalry have 1st locked up, and Pacific would love to get into 2nd, so they'll be motivated.

If Pacific wins and Forge loses, it'll be Pacific in second.

And the Forge vs. Ottawa match is not a sure thing. If York loses tomorrow, then Ottawa has a chance to get into 5th, so they could be motivated vs. Forge.

So I would say "likely Forge" but every single team could potentially change table positions this weekend (though it doesn't matter for Vancouver and Valour if they swap spots).

I'll admit it - I think that this playoff format is good. There is a unique incentive for finishing in each spot from 1st to 5th, and even on the final weekend of the season, everyone (except Cavalry, of course) don't have their spot locked up.

Home field advantage, the "second chance" for finishing 1st or 2nd, or simply getting into the playoffs at all. Lots at play for on the final weekend for 5 of the 8 teams - I think that's pretty good.
Old 10-05-2023, 08:56 PM   #1251
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is actually a scenario where Halifax finish second.

It requires Pacific losing to Cavalry, Forge losing to Ottawa, and Halifax beating Valour. Halifax would have to either make up the +2 goal differential Forge have on them or the +1 goals for differential Forge have on them as of now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2023, 09:12 AM   #1252
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
Looks like they'll be pretty disappointed. This one will drag the season average down, looks like a disappointingly small crowd for the trophy presentation.

Kind of annoying they chose to do it on the long weekend, but that's me being selfish because I can't make it.
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 09:46 AM   #1253
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Looks like they'll be pretty disappointed. This one will drag the season average down, looks like a disappointingly small crowd for the trophy presentation.

Kind of annoying they chose to do it on the long weekend, but that's me being selfish because I can't make it.
Weird...I wonder if he was just saying that as in he was hoping they'd sell out, or if they know something we don't. Lol.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 10:21 AM   #1254
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Yeah, it looks like nearly half the grandstand seats will be empty at this point. Just based on the ticketmaster map.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 10:29 AM   #1255
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't care, I am going to celebrate the hardware.

Normally we duck out after penalty time to beat the traffic ( it being an hour and ten minutes home and all). but we are going to stay to the bitter end. Takes my sports wins where I can.
Old 10-06-2023, 12:22 PM   #1256
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

A very wet Cavalry vs Valour match vlog from last weekend.

Old 10-06-2023, 01:56 PM   #1257
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bright midfielder Shamit Shome loving footie again with Cavalry FC

https://calgaryherald.com/sports/soc...d-4ceb2dabfdd5

Quote:
“Maybe it was just the infrastructure for (CPL’s) FC Edmonton that wasn’t really set up properly,” Shome continued. “And maybe they didn’t build the club the right way, where financially, it didn’t make sense and they were bleeding money. I think that was really the problem in Edmonton, where they didn’t really build from the ground up. There wasn’t really a long-term view in terms of how to build the core properly.

“And, on the flip-side, when we were coming to Calgary to play, I could see a club that’s coming in as a new team that hasn’t had any history of soccer and how they started from the ground up and built the club properly. With Tommy (Wheeldon Jr.) and Jay (Wheeldon) and the rest of the people that built Calgary, they kind of had an idea of how it should have been run from the beginning. And so they’ve done a good job to set it up from the git-go.

“Being in both places, I could see the night-and-day difference between the clubs.”
Not really surprising, but definitely interesting to hear the contrast from one of the more established league players. Love that Cavalry is now a team with a great reputation and one that players are taking note of.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2023, 07:09 AM   #1258
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ottawa is out!
Football terrorism doesn’t win
M*A*S*H 4077 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2023, 07:42 AM   #1259
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

First and fifth place are locked in now, but second through fourth still up for grabs. Last nights results make this a very big game for Pacific today. They will really want to avoid finishing fourth.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 10:58 AM   #1260
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Just stay healthy, and don't take any reds.
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:

Tags
cavalry fc , cpl , fced is no good / dead , ftf , soccer