Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2022, 04:50 PM   #1241
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

I know Camargo is often injured, but why doesn't he start anymore? He seems to be the only offensive midfield guy besides Escalante and when Ali Musse was good for 2-3 games.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 04:53 PM   #1242
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

A second gets us through, or is there some rule the CPL uses that no other league does?
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 04:53 PM   #1243
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Escalante just cross the ball instead of looking for a penalty...
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2022, 04:55 PM   #1244
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
A second gets us through, or is there some rule the CPL uses that no other league does?
A second only takes it to penalties, no?
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 04:55 PM   #1245
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Same as UEFA, no away goals. If Cavs tie straight to penalties
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2022, 05:03 PM   #1246
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

It looks like Cavalry could benefit from a new manager at this point. I don't think it'll happen, but Tommy has had a long time to prove himself and has failed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2022, 05:04 PM   #1247
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tommy has to wear this one. Setting the team up so defensively is a wasted opportunity
Old 10-23-2022, 05:05 PM   #1248
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Forge is better at the little things. Cavalry is looking for a ball to throw in at the end and their ball boys aren’t rushing to get one on play, they’ve taken them off the pylons at the end. Stuff that Cavalry has no clue about
The Following User Says Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2022, 05:06 PM   #1249
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Starting lineup was negative and defensive. Refereeing was bush league. Subs were too little, too late.

Ottawa better win next week.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 05:08 PM   #1250
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

We set up to lose and we lost. No real surprise there. We never look like scoring in big games.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 05:08 PM   #1251
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, I said all year Cavalry was a third place club and that's where they finished. They didn't play for the win today and they didn't deserve a win.

I hope they look a lot different on the pitch next year. If they don't, then I think it's time to talk about Tommy out....

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 05:10 PM   #1252
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel gross having to hope for Drew Beckie and Ottawa to win next weekend rather than Forge.
Old 10-23-2022, 05:33 PM   #1253
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just no accountability from Tommy either. Lashes out at the refs when that dog#### lineup he put out got the result it deserved. Either there has to be big changes at the club on or off the pitch or it's just going to be more of the same.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1584324601495986176

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2022, 06:06 PM   #1254
AndyM
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Agreed. Something has to give. All of this talk about "adapt and overcome." This team is the opposite of clutch.
AndyM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 06:16 PM   #1255
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

One day I'd love to know what jt is like to cheer for a winner.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 06:20 PM   #1256
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

My thoughts on the match:

It's a lot to ask of Norman Jr. to play him at LB in a game against a team like Forge who have a lot of quality out wide added to fact they're playing on a big pitch at home. I know Alarcón is a natural RB, but barring having Bradley Vliet available there, I think he would have been a better choice. Escalanté is also not a true LB. He got caught on the wrong side of Choiniere for the first goal. My guess is Alarcón wasn't at full fitness heading into today's match?

- I feel that the Norman sending off never would have happened if the incident didn't occur right in front of Forge's supporters section. The ref got sucked into reacting after he'd given Bekker his red. It was definitely an incorrect call and one that, consciously or not, can only be seen as an "even up" call.

Forge are not massively head and shoulders above Cavalry but they have players with certain qualities that we do not have that make the difference in playoff games. Namely:
- a true #10 (though he got sent off)
- CBs who are very technical on the ball and can pass as well as most central midfielders in this league.
- Attacking midfielders who are adept at both playing out wide as well as supporting a striker more centrally. On his day, Musse is this type of player but Di Chiara definitely is not.
- A pacy centre forward who can go at defenders as well as hold play up. This role doesn't suit Mason's qualities. He's a fox in the box who can pounce on things and finish. He needs another striker to do the heavy lifting that Pacius does. I think Bevan could possibly be this player.

Overall, Forge were in full control of the game today, barring the last 15 minutes or so when they were up 2-0. Had we remained a man up for the second half, that probably would have minimized their attacking threat but I'm not convinced we would have been able to dominate possession and break them down.

When I look at the other playoff teams, they all have a clear #10 that makes them tick. Forge has Bekker, Ottawa has Bassett and Pacific have Aparicio. Adding to that, they also have other more dangerous attacking midfielders than us (Borges, Choiniere, Tabla, Bustos, etc.)

There will be plenty of time to discuss off-season moves but I feel like this team is going to see quite a bit of turnover. I can't see Yao coming back. He'll either be with Montréal or move on to other greener pastures, IMO. That will be a massive hole. I've heard that Mason Trafford may retire. Zator's contact is up at York and he's getting married in December. His partner is establishing her career in Calgary, so does he possibly come back? If not, we need at least one CB of his stature.

Though I have no clue regarding contract status, I think it's unlikely Di Chiara, Novak, Norman Jr. and Camargo are back. It would be disappointing for me to see Camargo move on but with his injury issues, we need a different #10 that we can rely on.

I've been a season ticket holder since day one and enjoy supporting this club. It will be interesting to see what the roster looks like next April.
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ditty For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2022, 07:46 PM   #1257
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was told prior to the year that this was Mason Trafford's last year. He's moving into his front office role full time. I can see Camargo staying as he's still a decent player on the pitch and is dating the President's daughter. But I think he cannot be relied on as a starter and that a #10 is a must this offseason.

As for who should go, I think Di Chiara, Norman, Field and Novak are gone. If any of these four are re-signed I think Tommy has lost the plot.

I very much doubt Yao would be back and I'm not sure if Assi will be either. I'm torn on Mason, he hasn't played at the level a player of his pedigree should have, although maybe that's why he's in the CPL to begin with. Roloff is a decent keeper but I don't think he's worth using an international spot on. I'm torn on Musse too, maddeningly inconsistent but can be a deadly player in this league.

For me, the #1 priority this offseason after signing a #10 is to re-sign Vliet. He and Alarcon were great signings as they were actual fullbacks, and their presence at fullback allows Aird and Escalante to play their best roles on the wing. This allows with Fisk, Cantave and Ntginee as wing depth. I don't know why Vliet suddenly was dropped at the end of the season, he was tremendous.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2022, 08:17 PM   #1258
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Vliet must have been injured, I can’t imagine he would have been dropped otherwise.

Agreed a 10 is a top priority, but I also think an 8 is just as important. Simmons and Adekugbe are fine as depth, but I don’t think they are starters on top teams in this league.

A speedy winger/attacker is also a must.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 08:29 PM   #1259
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Was told prior to the year that this was Mason Trafford's last year. He's moving into his front office role full time. I can see Camargo staying as he's still a decent player on the pitch and is dating the President's daughter. But I think he cannot be relied on as a starter and that a #10 is a must this offseason.

As for who should go, I think Di Chiara, Norman, Field and Novak are gone. If any of these four are re-signed I think Tommy has lost the plot.

I very much doubt Yao would be back and I'm not sure if Assi will be either. I'm torn on Mason, he hasn't played at the level a player of his pedigree should have, although maybe that's why he's in the CPL to begin with. Roloff is a decent keeper but I don't think he's worth using an international spot on. I'm torn on Musse too, maddeningly inconsistent but can be a deadly player in this league.

For me, the #1 priority this offseason after signing a #10 is to re-sign Vliet. He and Alarcon were great signings as they were actual fullbacks, and their presence at fullback allows Aird and Escalante to play their best roles on the wing. This allows with Fisk, Cantave and Ntginee as wing depth. I don't know why Vliet suddenly was dropped at the end of the season, he was tremendous.
If I recall correctly, Vliet got Covid and then we rarely saw him after that. I seem to recall he made a short sub appearance near the end of the regular season, but that was about it.

I find Tom Field is impossible to evaluate because he's been injured the vast majority of his two years here. No idea what kind of a player we've got with him.

Not knowing anything regarding salaries, I'd like to see Mason stay and be paired with a true centre forward. I think he's still got goals in him if he can play off someone like that.

There are definitely some holes to fill in the spine of the team. Will be an interesting off-season.
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 07:19 AM   #1260
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it today that they rescind the red card for Bekker so he plays in the final or does that take a few more days?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:

Tags
cavalry , cpl , eff the forge , fc edmonton is no good