Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2023, 09:35 AM   #1241
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You’ll get no argument from me, I’m not saying “wow if only hockey were like soccer!” but just that the energy in the stands is 10x better regardless of the cause of it.

Going to the Dome to give a little golf clap at a good play and reserving your sensible cheers for sensible moments seems super lame and boring. And let’s be honest, it’s not like every hockey game is above long stretches of dullness.
Meh, some people like it mellow. I don't think I should be mellow-shamed. Maybe there should be a side of the Dome for people who like to screech, yell and carry on and then a side for the rational thinking people who can appreciate athleticism and watch people who excel at their craft while simultaneously being able to keep our inner monologue inside.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 09:36 AM   #1242
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You’ll get no argument from me, I’m not saying “wow if only hockey were like soccer!” but just that the energy in the stands is 10x better regardless of the cause of it.

Going to the Dome to give a little golf clap at a good play and reserving your sensible cheers for sensible moments seems super lame and boring. And let’s be honest, it’s not like every hockey game is above long stretches of dullness.
You'd like Top 14 Rugby from France.

Lots of flags, flairs and brass bands in the crowd and lots of smash mouth rugby on the pitch.

I agree with you about the Dome

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 09:36 AM   #1243
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I wonder if the screeching banshee who kept yelling to the Hitmen at the game last night thought she was giving useful tips and tricks.
"PASS PASS PASSSSSS"
"GOOD JOB BOYS"
"GO HITMEEEEN"
"GET 'IM! GET 'IM!! GET 'IMMM!!!"
"GET IT OUT OF THERE!!!! GO GO GO GO GO GO GO!!!"

Like, #### bitch. STFU. You're yelling in my ear and you're a dope of the highest order. Hoot if we score. Cheer a good play. But we're not here to listen to your advice to the team on a play-by-play basis. Just shut the #### up. How is that acceptable? What other venue can you just yell so the performers can get distracted by you and the entire audience is subjected to your main-character behaviour. She should be ####ing kicked out.
I used to live above this old alcoholic lady and she just loved the CLF, she would scream at the TV all game long. We would always know how the game was going based on her intensity and tone. Bless her heart she would knock on the door and ask if she was being too loud. We never cared, it was a decent trade off for us coming home after a night out and trudging around. One day she had a stroke in the stairwell and died. I was the first responder, when the EMS came I gave them the wrong name by accident.

/coolstorybro
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 09:39 AM   #1244
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
It's born out of having to entertain themselves because soccer is bloody dull.

Soccer on a half-pitch would really help the pacing of it.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 09:41 AM   #1245
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
You'd like Top 14 Rugby from France.

Lots of flags, flairs and brass bands in the crowd and lots of smash mouth rugby on the pitch.

I agree with you about the Dome
NCAA football is nuts. Tailgate BBQ, fireworks, marching bands...
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8 Ball For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 09:41 AM   #1246
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Soccer on a half-pitch would really help the pacing of it.
They should invert the shoe spikes, so they are on the field, not the shoes. It would make the prospect of diving much less appealing.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 09:52 AM   #1247
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Meh, some people like it mellow. I don't think I should be mellow-shamed. Maybe there should be a side of the Dome for people who like to screech, yell and carry on and then a side for the rational thinking people who can appreciate athleticism and watch people who excel at their craft while simultaneously being able to keep our inner monologue inside.
Why can’t you be mellow-shamed if it’s ok for you to shame someone who gets vocally engaged in a game? I think shaming the class of hockey fans that act more like golf fans than real sport fans is totally fair game. Especially the ones that are so meek they go hours through a game just quietly being annoyed by someone not enjoying the game the same way they do.

Try getting vocally engaged in the game. It’s fun! There’s no need to be so embarrassed or shy. Try to start a chant or something (just not the wave).
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 09:59 AM   #1248
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Why can’t you be mellow-shamed if it’s ok for you to shame someone who gets vocally engaged in a game? I think shaming the class of hockey fans that act more like golf fans than real sport fans is totally fair game. Especially the ones that are so meek they go hours through a game just quietly being annoyed by someone not enjoying the game the same way they do.

Try getting vocally engaged in the game. It’s fun! There’s no need to be so embarrassed or shy. Try to start a chant or something (just not the wave).
No ####ing thanks. I'm not an animal with no social graces. In my mind it's no different from screaming like a monkey at a play. I wouldn't do that, either. Or yelling at actors on a movie screen. It's ridiculous.
Old 03-16-2023, 10:01 AM   #1249
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No ####ing thanks. I'm not an animal with no social graces. In my mind it's no different from screaming like a monkey at a play. I wouldn't do that, either. Or yelling at actors on a movie screen. It's ridiculous.
You don't have that innate human need to shout? When was the last time you yelled?
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 10:07 AM   #1250
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
You’re thinking of watching the game on TV, which you could’ve done instead of seeing it live, but you decided not to.

Going to a hockey game isn’t the same as going to a movie theatre, as much as you wish it were, and I don’t think anybody at the Dome owes you that experience. If that’s the experience you’re expecting, it’s less that others don’t have social graces, and more than you don’t understand the expectations of different social situations.

You’re one of those people who give a quiet little fist pump when they score a goal but are too bashful to stand up and cheer, aren’t you? That’s super weird.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 10:25 AM   #1251
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trying to imagine Sliver at a music concert. Standing quietly. Bands love that energy.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 10:31 AM   #1252
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Trying to imagine Sliver at a music concert. Standing quietly. Bands love that energy.

...growling and sneering at people who dare sing along.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 10:33 AM   #1253
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm kind of like that. You get mocked or shamed enough, you try to avoid doing anything that attracts attention. I then feel so uncomfortable and self conscious if I hoot and holler that I can't enjoy myself. It's just not me.
I appreciate music and sports, and will clap or give an occasional woo after a song or good play.
But I'm just unable to be one of those loud good time event goers. anxiety wins every time.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 10:47 AM   #1254
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I'm kind of like that. You get mocked or shamed enough, you try to avoid doing anything that attracts attention. I then feel so uncomfortable and self conscious if I hoot and holler that I can't enjoy myself. It's just not me.
I appreciate music and sports, and will clap or give an occasional woo after a song or good play.
But I'm just unable to be one of those loud good time event goers. anxiety wins every time.
Sure, that's fair. But does it annoy you that others are being loud?
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 10:51 AM   #1255
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

If fans aren’t fighting with police before, during and after the game, then are they really “fans” to begin with?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 11:00 AM   #1256
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Dome is just a miserable experience overall right now. Crap expensive downtown parking, high chance of being seated around loud binge-drinkers that won't stop swearing and shouting, even if you get seated somewhere tolerable they're blasting 100db music through trash speakers at you every break and all intermission. But hey, bring your kids, what a great family event!
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 11:04 AM   #1257
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Except, you know….Plays are scripted and almost without exception have some sort of words or music to which the audience is supposed to listen to. Movies are also scripted, but actually pre-recorded and actors physically can’t hear you.

‘Social grace’ and a minor league hockey game? The hell you on about?
Old 03-16-2023, 11:07 AM   #1258
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
You don't have that innate human need to shout? When was the last time you yelled?
WTF. Last time I yelled? IDK. Like never ago. I don't think there's an innate human need to shout. Maybe in Neanderthal times, but this is honestly the first time I'm hearing shouting is some need. I don't shout or yell. Ever. I've always assumed shouting was something done by people who can't control themselves or at least turn off that control for a brief period because they just decided to just operate like a baboon.

Quote:
You’re thinking of watching the game on TV, which you could’ve done instead of seeing it live, but you decided not to.

Going to a hockey game isn’t the same as going to a movie theatre, as much as you wish it were, and I don’t think anybody at the Dome owes you that experience. If that’s the experience you’re expecting, it’s less that others don’t have social graces, and more than you don’t understand the expectations of different social situations.

You’re one of those people who give a quiet little fist pump when they score a goal but are too bashful to stand up and cheer, aren’t you? That’s super weird.
Well, I think I'm going to disagree with you at least with respect to the situation last night. If 299 people can control themselves and just enjoy the game and one woman is flapping her gums nonstop at the top of her lungs with needless, useless, pointless drivel I'm pretty sure it's not the 299 of us who read the social situation wrong.

Not too bashful to stand up and cheer, but get thoroughly annoyed when other people can't sit still or feel the need to draw attention to themselves. Another example would be, like, if you have the game on in the background at a social gathering just so people can keep an eye on the score or whatever and somebody has to scream or clap obnoxiously because some teenager they don't know put a piece of rubber past a 23-year-old they don't know. Like, ####in settle down, guy.

Quote:
Music concerts...well I'm kind of old now, but younger years I was a big mosher. Not sure if you know, but I lifted Leslie Feist onto the top of a mosh pit at a Smalls show at Mac Hall, so I'm kind of a big deal. Nowadays I'm more of a sit there kind of guy, but I lurk behind the mosh pit. I'll sing a long to my favourite bands, though, but not in a way that draws attention to me and away from the people on stage because I'm not a narsasist.
Old 03-16-2023, 11:09 AM   #1259
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
The Dome is just a miserable experience overall right now. Crap expensive downtown parking, high chance of being seated around loud binge-drinkers that won't stop swearing and shouting, even if you get seated somewhere tolerable they're blasting 100db music through trash speakers at you every break and all intermission. But hey, bring your kids, what a great family event!
Yeah, plus the seats are not disability friendly to those of us over 6'. Back of my seat to back of seat in front of me was shorter than my femur. How the #### am I supposed to sit down?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 11:11 AM   #1260
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Watching a high speed car chase on KTLA with over the top hysteria commentary from the news anchors is just peak American media. You could really sense their desire to see something shocking happen (crash, hit a pedestrian, shootout etc) and their palpable disappointment when the pursuit ended with the driver pulling into a parkade.
Yep, very distinct the way it gets turned into a spectacle. I tuned into KTLA to watch cartoons on the afternoon of April 30, 1998, and ended up watching Daniel V. Jones kill himself.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote