Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2020, 03:34 PM   #1241
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Like, a big green egg? Or just garden variety Kamado styled BBQ?

Would you recommend that style of BBQ? I'm really tempted and curious to know whether it's worth it to get one to "play with", so that I can start to bug my wife to let me acquire one.

I saw Lowes was selling a Kamado Joe for $300 off ($999) and I am super tempted, but I'd rather spend closer to $500-600 ish than 1G for a ceramic Kamado BBQ that wouldn't be my main BBQ.
Mines a visions version. It’s popped up used locally so I snagged it.

I really enjoy it. Pretty easy to use and it’s been good so far. Holds the temps really good. I need to figure out my roasts a bit better but am liking using it.

https://youtu.be/VJ61QM5qXEQ

This video convinced me to get it.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2020, 07:37 PM   #1242
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Would you recommend that style of BBQ? I'm really tempted and curious to know whether it's worth it to get one to "play with", so that I can start to bug my wife to let me acquire one.

I saw Lowes was selling a Kamado Joe for $300 off ($999) and I am super tempted, but I'd rather spend closer to $500-600 ish than 1G for a ceramic Kamado BBQ that wouldn't be my main BBQ.
I found a broil King keg on Kijiji for $500 2 years ago, had only been used once. I absolutely love it.

They are rare to find online but they pop up.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:37 PM   #1243
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll post a few pics from my brisket, it was my 3rd I've made and I've definitely learned a bunch every time. My takeaway from this one is knowing to trim far more fat from the cap than I did. I spent about half an hour fumbling my way through trimming but it still left too much.

Heres my photo from 10 hours in (started it at 10pm the night before, waking up every 3 hours to spritz the brisket).

Spoiler!

After 16 hours of smoking (and me being incredibly tired), the brisket was pulled off the grill with some nice bark (love the almost black look of Weitz's though, that's dialed in).

Spoiler!

And 2 hours resting time in tinfoil, a few old and crappy towels and in an empty cooler, it was ready to be portioned.

Spoiler!

Last edited by PaperBagger'14; 05-04-2020 at 09:43 PM.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 09:55 PM   #1244
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Was just randomly looking at Kijiji and saw this pop up... lol

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-bbq-outdoor-...ill/1499522156
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ahuch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 10:06 PM   #1245
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:
Question

Quick tip for BBQ folks.

Download the Traeger app, It’s an awesome reference and there are a crap ton of great recipes on there. Most of it all the recipes are videos on preparing the recipes as well. It’s not the be all end all but I have been using it for about 3 years and the recipes keep getting up dated.

Side note: what’s everyone got for grills out there ? I’m currently using a Weber performer, Traeger Texas Elite 34 and have a Rec Tec pellet grill at my trailer in Montana.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gundo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2020, 12:08 AM   #1246
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahuch View Post

Ha, that's surprisingly funny for some odd reason.

My wife doesn't want me to waste money on a Kamado grill right now though unfortunately, especially with how expensive they are. But she also said that if she changes her mind, we should get a brand new one, not a used one. I'm wondering if she's keeping this in her back pocket for when there is something she wants me to get her. Then she will go, "You got something nice, so it's only fair I get something nice too."

Random question about cast iron grates. The grates on the old BBQ I inherited somehow kinda rusted in certain areas and bits of the metal blistered off. There's no rust remaining on the areas this happened, but there are definitely random indents all over the place where the metal rusted, blistered and fell off. Is this bad? Are these grates still ok to use or should I be looking to replace the cast iron grates as soon as possible?

On casual glance it seems like replacement grates would run me around $150+ whether I choose porcelain cast iron or stainless steel. Not that expensive, but not money I'd rather spend if not needed.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 01:10 AM   #1247
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Random question about cast iron grates. The grates on the old BBQ I inherited somehow kinda rusted in certain areas and bits of the metal blistered off. There's no rust remaining on the areas this happened, but there are definitely random indents all over the place where the metal rusted, blistered and fell off. Is this bad? Are these grates still ok to use or should I be looking to replace the cast iron grates as soon as possible?

On casual glance it seems like replacement grates would run me around $150+ whether I choose porcelain cast iron or stainless steel. Not that expensive, but not money I'd rather spend if not needed.
Are they full cast iron or are they porcelain plated cast iron ? If they are porcelain plated, trash them you can’t stop the flaking. But if they are full CI then scrub the living hell out of them with a wire brush and then re-season them similar to the way you would a cast iron frying pan.

Coat them all over with canola/peanut oil something with a high flash point. Warm them up on low/med heat around 400F and run it there for about 30 mins. Turn it off, let the grill cool and boom re-seasoned.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:35 AM   #1248
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post
Quick tip for BBQ folks.

Download the Traeger app, It’s an awesome reference and there are a crap ton of great recipes on there. Most of it all the recipes are videos on preparing the recipes as well. It’s not the be all end all but I have been using it for about 3 years and the recipes keep getting up dated.

Side note: what’s everyone got for grills out there ? I’m currently using a Weber performer, Traeger Texas Elite 34 and have a Rec Tec pellet grill at my trailer in Montana.
Rec Tec vs. Traeger, where would you be spending your money having used both?

What Rec Tec are you using?
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:45 AM   #1249
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
Rec Tec vs. Traeger, where would you be spending your money having used both?

What Rec Tec are you using?
I’m using a RT-700 I got early last spring, honestly the Rec Tec absolutely smashes the Traeger IMO. Better build quality, better temperature regulation and can obtain a higher heat if needed.

My Traeger is good, I use it 2-3 times every week at home but I did upgrade my PID controller to a Pellet Pro and it sorted out my huge temp swings I was experiencing. I have also had 1 fan motor failure and 1 temperature rod dump out in 3 years. Their service has been great, they send parts out under warranty and expedite them.

If your budget can afford a Rec Tec I would get one over a Traeger. But the Traeger is still a decent pellet grill.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:58 PM   #1250
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For all the experts:

What is your recommendation for smoking that is the most quality for the least amount of effort? I know you can get amazing results from an offset smoker that you have to start at 3 in the morning to do a brisket but I just can't be arsed to put that amount of effort in. Just curious as to what the sliding scale is for the "easy" methods of smoking. Like, is it worth it to use an electric smoker that seems like it is set it and forget it. Or is it one of those things where you might as well just BBQ it? I'm mostly interested in doing ribs and brisket and wings. No fish or anything like that.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:02 PM   #1251
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pellet smoking is about as easy as it gets. Turn on and ensure the pellet hopper is full.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2020, 02:07 PM   #1252
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
For all the experts:

What is your recommendation for smoking that is the most quality for the least amount of effort? I know you can get amazing results from an offset smoker that you have to start at 3 in the morning to do a brisket but I just can't be arsed to put that amount of effort in. Just curious as to what the sliding scale is for the "easy" methods of smoking. Like, is it worth it to use an electric smoker that seems like it is set it and forget it. Or is it one of those things where you might as well just BBQ it? I'm mostly interested in doing ribs and brisket and wings. No fish or anything like that.
Spoiler!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2020, 03:07 PM   #1253
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post
Are they full cast iron or are they porcelain plated cast iron ? If they are porcelain plated, trash them you can’t stop the flaking. But if they are full CI then scrub the living hell out of them with a wire brush and then re-season them similar to the way you would a cast iron frying pan.

Coat them all over with canola/peanut oil something with a high flash point. Warm them up on low/med heat around 400F and run it there for about 30 mins. Turn it off, let the grill cool and boom re-seasoned.
The grills are smooth so I assumed they were porcelain on cast iron. So if I am to replace these:

Is it weird to do partial stainless and partial cast iron rather than all one or the other?
Old 05-07-2020, 03:17 PM   #1254
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
For all the experts:

Lets be clear - any type of smoking takes loads more time and effort than a gas BBQ. The biggest source of time? Cleanup on a smoker. On a gasseer I crank the burners and incinerate everything. Not the same in a smoker - get ready to hand wash a lot of racks and grease pits.

That said, I really do think the Weber Smokey Mountain is your best entry point in for a smoker. Used, an 18.5" can be had for about $200. It's indestructible (no finicky electronics) and holds temps well. Charcoal is readily available. Pro's have used these in competition. Pair this with a good gasser and you can do 90% of what you see on YouTube.

Smokers are the glam girl in the BBQ world right now but your average consumer doesn't have the time or effort for one. I predict a lot of kamados and smokers on the used market in a year or two.
I-Hate-Hulse is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2020, 03:50 PM   #1255
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Lets be clear - any type of smoking takes loads more time and effort than a gas BBQ. The biggest source of time? Cleanup on a smoker. On a gasseer I crank the burners and incinerate everything. Not the same in a smoker - get ready to hand wash a lot of racks and grease pits.

That said, I really do think the Weber Smokey Mountain is your best entry point in for a smoker. Used, an 18.5" can be had for about $200. It's indestructible (no finicky electronics) and holds temps well. Charcoal is readily available. Pro's have used these in competition. Pair this with a good gasser and you can do 90% of what you see on YouTube.

Smokers are the glam girl in the BBQ world right now but your average consumer doesn't have the time or effort for one. I predict a lot of kamados and smokers on the used market in a year or two.
Fair comments. I've been interested in the Kamado style even before the pandemic. It just seems like i know for sure I want one now that I am not eating out as often and pushing the limits of my experimentation. I am interested in tinkering around with combining different cooking methods.

Using the sous vide to do multi day cooks for special gatherings has been a thing I've enjoyed a ton. Having the option of finishing on the grill/oven/air fryer/stove has been fun. A multi day sous vide plus a few hours slow finish via charcoal or smoking for a summer get together is something I am most curious in exploring as it seems like it would be some next level awesome or disgusting or something.
Old 05-07-2020, 05:43 PM   #1256
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The grills are smooth so I assumed they were porcelain on cast iron. So if I am to replace these:

Is it weird to do partial stainless and partial cast iron rather than all one or the other?
Not at all, I have a cast iron insert for my Weber performer I use to get a good sear on things.

It’s bbq man, no right or wrong just do what makes you happy!
Old 05-07-2020, 06:00 PM   #1257
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
For all the experts:

So I have owned an offset smoker, Weber Smokey Mountain and pellet smokers personally. The offset/Smokey mountain were the most effort to maintain temp and took a lot of time to learn the wood/charcoal temperatures playing with dampers and air flows. No smoke was ever the same and they yielded amazing results call it a 5/5 flavour and a 9/10 in difficulty.

With the proper pellet grill you fill your hopper with quality pellets. Set the temperature and walk away. Only coming back to check on things every hour or so if you wish to mop or spray your meats. My pellets have Wi-Fi/blue tooth thermometers in them I get an alert if a temperature threshold is exceed and I can check out what’s going on. But it’s more or less “set it and forget if” I would say flavour wise it’s a 4-4.5/5 and about a 5/10 to operate.

Imo you can’t beat a charcoal/wood burners flavour but you can’t beat a pellets ease of use. I ultimately chose pellet grills because I like to half ass go about my day while I do a long smoke and the charcoal smokers just took up too much of my time worrying about temp and air flow.

On my deck at home right now are 2 things, a Weber performer (kettle charcoal grill) and a pellet grill. The kettle and the pure heat you get absolutely can’t be beat by anything gas/propane when it comes to searing steaks and other foods. I can get it up to over 850F for pizzas when I want too. My pellet grills are the cats ass for ease of use for smoked items like brisket, ribs chicken ect.

Hope that helps or helps to confuse things haha.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:20 PM   #1258
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahuch View Post

That’s my exact one. It’s also the one in the video I posted being compared to the Big Green Egg
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 04:19 AM   #1259
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Lets be clear - any type of smoking takes loads more time and effort than a gas BBQ. The biggest source of time? Cleanup on a smoker. On a gasseer I crank the burners and incinerate everything. Not the same in a smoker - get ready to hand wash a lot of racks and grease pits...
My dog takes care of those for me.
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:57 AM   #1260
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going to get the smoker out tomorrow for the first time this year. Start with something easy and do a couple of racks of baby back ribs.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber