Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2023, 03:10 PM   #12521
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
In other news, Erdogan has organized a big meeting with Putin (big = a lot of cabinet members present). Obviously full agenda isn't public, Turkey is at least pushing to get Russia back to the grain deal.

Zelenskiy has also fired Ukraine's defense minister for unspecified reasons beyond "a need for new direction". This could be anything really. Maybe it's part of the corruption housecleaning, maybe the war is going poorly, maybe genuine mistakes have been made, maybe there's a key policy disagreement, maybe the current guy is just burned out. Still, not a typical move during a war.
And news within the context of the grain deal is Russia sent signs of drones to destroy more grain distribution infrastructure in Ukraine overnight.

It was a "see, were in charge" action, with a "were the victim here" diatribe with Erdogan. At this point Erdogan wants to be the broker of the grain deal, Russia has all the leverage and gains little by agreeing again.

Putin today after meeting with Erdogan says no deal
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2023, 03:24 AM   #12522
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
And news within the context of the grain deal is Russia sent signs of drones to destroy more grain distribution infrastructure in Ukraine overnight.

It was a "see, were in charge" action, with a "were the victim here" diatribe with Erdogan. At this point Erdogan wants to be the broker of the grain deal, Russia has all the leverage and gains little by agreeing again.

Putin today after meeting with Erdogan says no deal
Russias continued campaign against Ukraine's grain export infrastructure is really baffling. I get the initial strikes at Odessa harbor as a show of force and an F U, but beyond that it just seems really stupid.

It's not just that there would be much more valuable things those drones and missiles could be targeting, but it's just weakening an incentive for other countries to negotiate with Russia, the only path Russia really has to get out of this war with some kind of a W. This isn't something that's going to create problems for Ukraine or the West , it's causing trouble in places like Africa and the Middle East, key areas where Russia has been trying to gain influence.

It's basically just very actively alienating everyone, especially many Russian allies, while wasting valuable resources on something that has little to no real military value.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2023, 05:37 AM   #12523
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well if you're sick enough to destroy people who have no military value and make enemies in doing so, you don't need an explanation for why they would also destroy commodities that have no military value.

Like any abuser, it's about feeling in power and control.
Old 09-05-2023, 08:35 AM   #12524
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
In other news, Erdogan has organized a big meeting with Putin (big = a lot of cabinet members present). Obviously full agenda isn't public, Turkey is at least pushing to get Russia back to the grain deal.

Zelenskiy has also fired Ukraine's defense minister for unspecified reasons beyond "a need for new direction". This could be anything really. Maybe it's part of the corruption housecleaning, maybe the war is going poorly, maybe genuine mistakes have been made, maybe there's a key policy disagreement, maybe the current guy is just burned out. Still, not a typical move during a war.
The defense minister was a public figure and appeared in carefully crafted motivational videos. I thought him and Zelenskyy were loyal to each other, and that ultimately the minister was doing a good job.

Despite rampant corruption and war profiteering, I'd be surprised (and disappointed) if this guy was doing #### for personal gain.

EDIT: From Reuters:

Quote:
Reznikov, a 57-year-old former lawyer, was not implicated personally by corruption allegations levelled by Ukrainian media at the defence ministry, most notably over procurement.
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...er-2023-09-04/

Last edited by CroFlames; 09-05-2023 at 08:40 AM.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2023, 08:41 AM   #12525
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
Well if you're sick enough to destroy people who have no military value and make enemies in doing so, you don't need an explanation for why they would also destroy commodities that have no military value.

Like any abuser, it's about feeling in power and control.
In the Russian mind it's as simple as this: Ukraine existing are a threat to Russia. We have to end their existence.
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2023, 09:52 AM   #12526
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

On Reznikov:

Quote:
Mr Zelensky focused on his defence minister’s role as a brave and trusted comrade over 550 days of war. But in recognising the need for a change, the president was acknowledging that his record has been tarnished. Mr Reznikov was viewed by many, including Western partners, as a charismatic and resourceful negotiator. He was one of the inner core that stayed in Kyiv throughout the invasion despite the huge dangers. To his detractors, however, he will be remembered for two scandals, involving eggs and winter coats.

Mr Nikolov’s journalism exposed both. In February his investigations revealed that Mr Reznikov’s ministry had been paying 17 hryvnia (46 cents) for eggs when the market price was just five. Mr Reznikov somehow survived that scandal, only to be hit by another in August, which showed his ministry had bought military coats from Turkey, also apparently at a huge markup. Invoices in Turkey showed the coats had a value of $29, rather than the $86 paid by Ukraine.

Government insiders say Mr Reznikov does not appear to have had a direct hand in either of the contracts. He did not appoint the officials who signed the deals. But his poor handling of both scandals, including picking fights with journalists about irrelevant details, made his departure inevitable. “The defence minister had become a focus of jokes,” says a source close to Ukrainian law enforcement. “That’s not a good look at a time of war.”

https://www.economist.com/europe/202...ing-corruption
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2023, 10:21 AM   #12527
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

From what I have understood, Reznikov had overview of a few areas but seemed to have turned a blind eye to a few dirty dealings. Mostly it was because he had a few run ins with media in which Zelensky wasn't a fan of. I don't think he himself was that "dirty" per say, but Ukraine joining the EU means they have to at least give the impression that each and every area is being looked at and nobody is safe if that standard isn't met. Ukraine needs all the good PR it can get to keep funds/weapons flowing in, and if Zelensky thinks that keeping Reznikov on board impedes that, than I have no issue with him being dismissed.

I don't know anything about the new guy and thought that Reznikov mostly did a good job. Hopefully this move works out and can keep the momentum going.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2023, 10:51 AM   #12528
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
From what I have understood, Reznikov had overview of a few areas but seemed to have turned a blind eye to a few dirty dealings. Mostly it was because he had a few run ins with media in which Zelensky wasn't a fan of. I don't think he himself was that "dirty" per say, but Ukraine joining the EU means they have to at least give the impression that each and every area is being looked at and nobody is safe if that standard isn't met. Ukraine needs all the good PR it can get to keep funds/weapons flowing in, and if Zelensky thinks that keeping Reznikov on board impedes that, than I have no issue with him being dismissed.

I don't know anything about the new guy and thought that Reznikov mostly did a good job. Hopefully this move works out and can keep the momentum going.
I don't think anyone, pro-Ukrainian or otherwise, would deny that corruption hasn't been an ongoing issue since the Soviet days. It's the same for practically every ex-communist state in Europe. Some have been able to reduce it, with EU aspirations being the driver for some. I think that was a big part of the decision here. Ukraine wants close ties to the West and when their defense is heavily dependent on Western aid, they have to be hard on corruption. Other countries giving aid don't want to think their money is going to line the pockets of profiteers.

I have no trouble believing that the corruption happened at a lower level than the Reznikov and that he had to take the fall for it. He was in a difficult position where it was easy for people down the supply chain to take advantage of the desperate situation.
Old 09-05-2023, 12:03 PM   #12529
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I know many people in town and in this thread opened their doors to refugees but as Russia drags on the war, a lot of the temporary housing, accommodations, and funding are running out with rent prices going up astronomically in Calgary.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...gary-1.6952184

A 17 year old escapee was living at the airport and asking if he could return to Ukraine.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2023, 01:31 PM   #12530
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I know many people in town and in this thread opened their doors to refugees but as Russia drags on the war, a lot of the temporary housing, accommodations, and funding are running out with rent prices going up astronomically in Calgary.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...gary-1.6952184

A 17 year old escapee was living at the airport and asking if he could return to Ukraine.
Do not read the comments on that story

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 09:48 AM   #12531
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup it's definitely tough on new arrivals. It's hard enough moving to a new country. Then you add in language barriers, culture shock, trying to find employment, limited housing, and pretty rough transportation if you don't drive. The city/province/country has completely #### the bed when it comes to trying to alleviate the housing situation. Not sure what they have in store for the Sept 14 townhall. I am not holding out for a proper solution and almost assuredly it will be SFA. Not going to read the CBC comments, but overall I think most people have been pretty patient with refugees.

Have to remember that a lot of these people will be returning home once it is safe to do so. So before anyone decides to blame refugees on the rising rental rates and limited units, we have to remember that they do not want to be here in the first place. If the war ended tomorrow I believe we'd see a mass exodus of them returning home. But russia has made it more than clear that unless they are physically stopped and eliminated on UA territory, that is a long ways away. If you are one of those NIMBYs who wants them to return home, you should know exactly who to blame (ie. russia) and be pressuring politicians to send more aid to end the war sooner. You are a moron if you decide to blame Ukrainians.

I have heard a million stories that don't make the news about people waiting stranded at the airport, facebook groups completely filled with requests for housing or work, and people asking for options from strangers on the street. The city sure as #### better have a plan to deal with this come Sept 14. If you are going to open the floodgates for refugees, that is great. The fact that the housing situation still has not been addressed is ####ing embarrassing and hurts ALL of us.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 09-06-2023 at 09:50 AM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2023, 10:47 AM   #12532
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1699452502549106748
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2023, 10:55 AM   #12533
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's being reported that a drone was shot down near one of Putin's residences in the village of Zavidovo. It's not known whether Putin was there or not.

A decapitation strike eventually would be nice.
Old 09-06-2023, 11:07 AM   #12534
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
It's being reported that a drone was shot down near one of Putin's residences in the village of Zavidovo. It's not known whether Putin was there or not.

Yes, but would a fatal strike against the president escalate to nuclear strikes and destruction of Ukraine?
Old 09-06-2023, 11:27 AM   #12535
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1699443186907636051

Another disgusting terrorist attack by the ####hole known as russia. With Blinken in the country, no less.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2023, 11:57 AM   #12536
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Hard to see how killing Russia's head of state doesn't lead to a nuclear exchange
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 12:04 PM   #12537
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
Hard to see how killing Russia's head of state doesn't lead to a nuclear exchange
I don't think the cabal of oligarchs that will convene to choose whom to support after Putin, really care about Ukraine or the "special military operation". I suspect they would use it as an exit ramp to get back to business as usual. I just don't see any of Putin's potential successors having the type of control that Putin currently has. Even Shoigu looks like he is terrified of Putin and I doubt he would have popular support among the elites. Medvedev is a bit of a wild card I guess, but I think he is more of a yes man.
Old 09-06-2023, 12:04 PM   #12538
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

My guess is if Putin was killed there would be a a lot of bluster but no one in Russia would be unhappy, solves both Russia and Ukraine's issues all at once
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2023, 12:09 PM   #12539
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

If Putin is killed I suspect the country would devolve into chaos with different factions from the oligarchs, the military, the (non-government) mafia, the FSB, Wagner and every other random sociopath fighting for control at the top of the criminal organization known as the Russian government. This would likely look a lot like the years immediately following parastroika where crime and violence was rampant. You might say, "who cares as long as they get out of Ukraine and stop trolling the rest of the world". Well, the problem is that they still have a lot of nuclear weapons. Say, what you will about Putin but he is not stupid or reckless. He is a cold, calculating, corrupt bastard. The next guy that wins the power struggle could just end up being the most blood-thirsty maniac of the bunch. If so, the entire planet could be in trouble.
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 12:26 PM   #12540
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
If Putin is killed I suspect the country would devolve into chaos with different factions from the oligarchs, the military, the (non-government) mafia, the FSB, Wagner and every other random sociopath fighting for control at the top of the criminal organization known as the Russian government. This would likely look a lot like the years immediately following parastroika where crime and violence was rampant. You might say, "who cares as long as they get out of Ukraine and stop trolling the rest of the world". Well, the problem is that they still have a lot of nuclear weapons. Say, what you will about Putin but he is not stupid or reckless. He is a cold, calculating, corrupt bastard. The next guy that wins the power struggle could just end up being the most blood-thirsty maniac of the bunch. If so, the entire planet could be in trouble.
That may be true but Putin is going to die pretty soon anyway, he's old and unwell, there wont be a handover of power, if Russia devolves it will happen no matter how he dies
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:

Tags
atrocity , badass zelensky , lying russians , mad man , sneaky fn russian , war sucks