Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 09:44 PM   #12521
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do t disagree that's one of the best forward groups in the league. I'm just not one of those who thinks "put Brodie on the right side (even with Gio) and all is well". I can't write off his play the last two years to being on the left, playing away from Gio or coaching. He just hasn't been good, period.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2018, 11:33 PM   #12522
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

15th in the league in takeaways. He was doing something right.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:42 PM   #12523
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

How does the Vegas Golden Knights D look when written down on a form post? They're two wins away from the Stale Cup Finals and the Penguins D from the last two seasons was not exactly their strength.

In today's game I think you better have a good forward group if you want to win.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2018, 03:58 AM   #12524
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
How does the Vegas Golden Knights D look when written down on a form post? They're two wins away from the Stale Cup Finals and the Penguins D from the last two seasons was not exactly their strength.

In today's game I think you better have a good forward group if you want to win.
Elite offence sure trumps teams built on d.

Of course, goaltending is the true differentiator in thus league....
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2018, 04:34 AM   #12525
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barca View Post
I agree, Bennett is seen as a project type player around the league now.

he has regressed since his rookie year and I don't think it's coaching.

low hockey iq for a guy who was drafted to be a top 6 scorer.
Not specifically picking on you but far too many people around here throw around the "hockey IQ" card like they're experts on the subject. Newsflash! very few fans know much at all on the subject and I call Bull-S on everyone who claims Bennett has a low hockey IQ as it's simply not true

Every scout on the planet raved about his skill and 2-way game pre-draft, he dropped a few stops in the draft because of a friken pull up due to his bum shoulder, he looses a year in development after repairing the shoulder and comes back to score 18-18 as a 19 year old. Then something happened!!

That something was Glen Gulutzan, He favored Mikael Backlund as his #2 center and stuffed Bennett down the lineup with the likes of Troy Brouwer, Alex Chiasson, Lance Bouma and Curtis Lazar all of which suck as offensive players. Over and over Gulutzan spit on Sams confidence and no doubt his play dropped off but make no mistake players don't don't loose their hockey IQ even with a moron coach.

A bad coach can screw a career but a good coach can fine tune a good player and make a career, just ask 27 year old Jonathan Marchessault where he would be without Gerard Gallant the last 2 years.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2018, 04:39 AM   #12526
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Of course, elite offence often starts at the back end and how they move the puck.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:55 AM   #12527
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post

Someone needs to tell that to Treliving because it appears his belief is the exact opposite. The guy just loves defensemen as it's by far the position he's addressed the most with big moves as well as the draft for that matter. As bubbsy said goaltending is the key. Maybe an elite blueline can carry average goaltending (Predators have received pretty average goaltending the past few playoffs) but you really do need stellar goaltending regardless of how good your blue line is.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 05-17-2018 at 06:57 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:20 AM   #12528
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post

Of course, goaltending is the true differentiator in thus league....

I'm not sure there is just one way to do it.

But looking at the Pens, they did it with elite offense and elite goaltending. They didn't get the goaltending this year and they're out.

But then there's Vegas, they just seem like an all around good team. Of course having bunch of guys with career years at the same time doesn't hurt, I guess you can put them in the category of elite offense (at least this year) and goaltending too.

Nashville has been trying to do it with elite defense and goaltending and have been close for a few years now. Hard to say it's not possible to win that way too.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:34 AM   #12529
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Preds have slowly upgraded at the forward position which IMO has correlated with their rise over the past few seasons.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:36 AM   #12530
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I see a lot on the hockey IQ thing about Bennett. I am a one that thinks his iq is low. However maybe I just don't see it like others so I'm going to compile a list of examples of low IQ. If anyone could be bothered I'd like someone to compile a counter list that shows his IQ. Just to better understand the player.

Does not use Linemates well.
Takes bad shots in low percentage spots.
Takes bad penalties on a regular basis.
Continues to try and beat defenders with 1 on 1 moves.
Many of his shortcomings seem to not improve.
Mistakes he makes he continues to make.
Plays a very junior game.

All in all. He just doesn't seem to be able to fix his issues. He will make bone headed plays and then go on to do it again the next period. Obviously he is still young but to me it seems like it's taking him longer to fix simple mistakes then most youngsters.

PS- Bennett was my guy going into the draft and I still really want him to put it together. I just don't see it in him.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:35 AM   #12531
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
I see a lot on the hockey IQ thing about Bennett. I am a one that thinks his iq is low. However maybe I just don't see it like others so I'm going to compile a list of examples of low IQ. If anyone could be bothered I'd like someone to compile a counter list that shows his IQ. Just to better understand the player.

Does not use Linemates well.
Takes bad shots in low percentage spots.
Takes bad penalties on a regular basis.
Continues to try and beat defenders with 1 on 1 moves.
Many of his shortcomings seem to not improve.
Mistakes he makes he continues to make.
Plays a very junior game.

All in all. He just doesn't seem to be able to fix his issues. He will make bone headed plays and then go on to do it again the next period. Obviously he is still young but to me it seems like it's taking him longer to fix simple mistakes then most youngsters.

PS- Bennett was my guy going into the draft and I still really want him to put it together. I just don't see it in him.
The one I’ve observed is Bennett not using his linemates well. He sometimes takes too long (longer than other players) to recognize the right pass, especially when entering the offensive zone. Because if this, there are games where a lot of plays die on his stick. He seems to do better with this when cycling the puck down low.

I don’t know the reason for this. For all I know, Bennett is just a puck hog or lacks confidence or has low “hockey IQ” or has not been taught properly.

My two cents are that, Bennett seems way too hard on himself and conscientious to be a puck hog. This makes me wonder about his confidence sometimes. He seems to be the type of person who is very self-critical and hard on himself for his mistakes. I wonder if this lowers his confidence and causes him to think too much while playing. He may also suffer from low hockey IQ and bad coaching. It may be a bunch of factors. But I really want to see Bennett have fun out there and play without the weight of the world on his shoulders.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:39 AM   #12532
RichKlit
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Is there any truth to the whispers that Haminic is going to be a factor in Tavares decision to sign in Calgary?
Old 05-17-2018, 08:40 AM   #12533
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichKlit View Post
Is there any truth to the whispers that Haminic is going to be a factor in Tavares decision to sign in Calgary?
All speculation. I really don't see it though myself.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:41 AM   #12534
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Not likely.

Can't think of too many scenarios off the top of my head where a guy signed just so he could play with his buddy. If they were brothers, there's precedent.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:41 AM   #12535
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Hopefully Hamonic is working on it as we speak.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:50 AM   #12536
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

I appreciate the desire to stick with your player, but the defense of Bennett is getting crazy. It is not like Bennett is showing positive growth to maintain the belief in the player, he's getting worse, not better. We're at the point where he either steps up and turns into a player, or he's on the fast track to oblivion. And no, Sam Bennett is nothing like Mark Scheifele.

Mark Scheifele's career low is 34 points in 63 games (.539 PPG), which he did as a 20 year old. Since then, he's progressed to 49 (.596), then 61 (.859), then 82 (1.038), and finally 60 points in 60 games this year. Sam Bennett's best was 36 points in 77 games (.468 PPG), which he did at 19. Since then, its been down hill, scoring 26 points in 81 games (.321), then 26 points in 82 games (.317). Most alarmingly, Bennett's defensive game has been crap where he's gone from -11, to -16, to -18. He isn't getting better, especially when you compare him to Scheifele, who has never been a negative player at the NHL level, and has been a +53 compared to Bennett's -45, or a swing of 98 goals. Bennett is to Scheifele as Yakupov is to Ovechkin.

I decided to dig into the Bennett not having linemates to work with narrative. His line combinations seem to say he's had opportunity a plenty. The fact of the matter is that Bennett doesn't score with anyone he's teamed with. He's had opportunity this past season to play with the top dogs, and Sam has been left looking for his bone. I'm all for giving a guy a chance, but he has to seize it by the nuts. Bennett has not done that. Not like other players.

This is put up or shut up season for Bennett. He's going to have to produce. He's going to have show he can be trusted on both sides of the puck. Bennett has to step up this year, no more excuses. It will be interesting to see how Peters uses him, and at what position. Can't wait for camp.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2018, 08:58 AM   #12537
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...-need-changes/

“[Skinner and Faulk] are guys certainly that people have called about. I talked to almost every general manager, that we’re looking to make some changes, so certainly when other teams are calling, they usually want to call about your better players. So we’re in discussions with not only those players but multiple players.”

Hurricanes will be open for business.
Have to think we acquire at least one of their players or prospects.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:58 AM   #12538
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nothing concrete that’s for sure. Just a poster here who stated that he knew Tavares wanted to come to Canada and Hamonic is his best friend. That usually means absolutely nothing but this poster also stated the Peters hiring and Burke moving on weeks before either happened so it has a bit more legitimacy.

I also read recently via Pierre Lebrun that the Leafs pursues a Hamonic deal with the Flames at the deadline which Calgary had no interest in. The were absolutely involved at the draft when the Flames beat them out on an offer. There is plenty of talk about the leafs needing a stay at home right D but perhaps there is more to it than that?

So based off that you can see it is pure speculation. I am sure if the Flames get the chance to pitch Tavares that Hamonic will be involved but really how much influence can he have? Fortunately the Flames have several other reasons to sell JT including the cap structure of the current team and young core signed long term.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:18 AM   #12539
RichKlit
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Ya I don’t put a lot of stock into players basing decisions on outside factors other than what’s best for them and their immediate family but man would it be sweet if somehow there is some truth to this.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:34 AM   #12540
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Not specifically picking on you but far too many people around here throw around the "hockey IQ" card like they're experts on the subject. Newsflash! very few fans know much at all on the subject and I call Bull-S on everyone who claims Bennett has a low hockey IQ as it's simply not true

Every scout on the planet raved about his skill and 2-way game pre-draft, he dropped a few stops in the draft because of a friken pull up due to his bum shoulder, he looses a year in development after repairing the shoulder and comes back to score 18-18 as a 19 year old. Then something happened!!

That something was Glen Gulutzan, He favored Mikael Backlund as his #2 center and stuffed Bennett down the lineup with the likes of Troy Brouwer, Alex Chiasson, Lance Bouma and Curtis Lazar all of which suck as offensive players. Over and over Gulutzan spit on Sams confidence and no doubt his play dropped off but make no mistake players don't don't loose their hockey IQ even with a moron coach.

A bad coach can screw a career but a good coach can fine tune a good player and make a career, just ask 27 year old Jonathan Marchessault where he would be without Gerard Gallant the last 2 years.
Who wouldn't favour Backlund as the number 2 centre? He was the number two centre when Bennett was scoring his 18 goals. Arguable, he had a big hand in Bennett scoring 18 goals.

Year two, he was going to be an up and coming centre on the team. So he didn't play with Backlund, who was going to get a lot of defensive zone starts, and who got Tkachuk as the new rookie to support. They put Bennett at centre with Brouwer. Brouwer was a 20+ goal, 40+ point player at the time. That's "spitting on Sam's confidence"? It's not the coach's fault that Brouwer fell off a cliff. In fact, they looked great in preseason. Then, when that wasn't working great, you wanted them to split up the top two lines who were playing fine (and then throw in who at centre in place of Bennett?).

This year he played the vast majority of his time with Jankowski. He got Jagr (who had just finished playing with Barkov) when he was available. That's "spitting on Sam's confidence"?

The lack of success may have caused a lack of confidence. And Bennett could have used better linemates. But it certainly wasn't because they were "spitting on" his confidence. The options were simply limited.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread