Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2021, 02:53 PM   #1221
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Yeah I know, I mean what about Jakku, that's a fresh planet right?

I always thought it was funny that in the star Wars galaxy all the planets have one bios.

Lets go to Mon Cala, its all water or the Wookie world that's all forest or Tattooine or Jakku that's all desert or Coruscant that's all one massive city.
I feel like Coruscant should be a bit different, it shouldn't be that difficult to write up wildly different settings in an ecumenopolis. the prequels never really got beyond a bunch of wide shots of skyscrapers with air traffic. KOTOR did a better job with Taris and the upper/middle/lower/under cities.

generally though, it's not just the planets that suffer from lack of variety. all the members of any one species other than human tend to be pretty homogeneous in Star Wars, or most other big space IPs.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 03:43 PM   #1222
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I like Temuera Morrison and he was a highlight of Mando season 2, so I am pretty excited.

I just don't know what kind of story arc you can make around being the new Jabba that would be remain fascinating to watch every week. Mando has the advantage of much more freedom, moving world to world and involving different lore.

But maybe they have some tricks up their sleeve. I trust the folks behind Mando to come up with enjoyable and authentically SW content.
Boba is trying to rule while maintaining his honour and morals, which is almost certainly going to put him in direct conflict with a few of his "allies". That can lead to all sorts of storylines, even if they are a bit cliched.

It looks like there are various species of crime families that Boba would be ruling over. You've also got various trades.

I'm pretty excited for this, as that's all I really want from Star Wars content. Interesting characters within the universe. I'd be happy with an episode devoted to Gamorreans.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 03:53 PM   #1223
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I feel like Coruscant should be a bit different, it shouldn't be that difficult to write up wildly different settings in an ecumenopolis. the prequels never really got beyond a bunch of wide shots of skyscrapers with air traffic. KOTOR did a better job with Taris and the upper/middle/lower/under cities.

generally though, it's not just the planets that suffer from lack of variety. all the members of any one species other than human tend to be pretty homogeneous in Star Wars, or most other big space IPs.

The Clone Wars did a great job of this in the Jedi lost arch and the starting arc of the last season where they showed how bad it was down below on Coruscant. There were people that never saw the sun, and it was dirty and grimy and undesirable to live in the below levels.

The video game 1313 was primed to show this as you worked your way through the underworld.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 03:55 PM   #1224
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Boba is trying to rule while maintaining his honour and morals, which is almost certainly going to put him in direct conflict with a few of his "allies". That can lead to all sorts of storylines, even if they are a bit cliched.

It looks like there are various species of crime families that Boba would be ruling over. You've also got various trades.

I'm pretty excited for this, as that's all I really want from Star Wars content. Interesting characters within the universe. I'd be happy with an episode devoted to Gamorreans.

I can't help but feel there's a complete betrayal happening here, I mean there have to be millions in bounties on Crime Lords. As well we still have what's left of the Black Sun out there two who are extremely brutal.

Also what's left of the Hutt Crime family is going to want Bobba's holdings.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2021, 10:39 PM   #1225
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Boba Fett series pretty good to me. I'm in.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:46 AM   #1226
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I'll watch too, I'm just feeling pretty tired of the dusty Tatooine backdrop. in a giant galaxy with thousands (millions?) of inhabited worlds they just keep returning to this backwater in story after story.
They probably shouldn't do Boba Fett either. Trillions of people in this galaxy and they keep returning to this retread character in story after story after story. Who wants to hear from Boba Fett anyway?
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 09:40 AM   #1227
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think that when Disney for example killed the EU, they really shrank the size of the universe and got rid of some really interesting time lines and characters.

I still think a Old Republic movie or series, or even further back to the first great civil war between Jedi is just full of great material.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2021, 10:02 AM   #1228
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everything Disney has done so far as been gold. Really looking forward to the Boba Fett show.

Except the showpiece itself, the sequel trilogy. SOmEhOw PalPaTiNe iS bAcK.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 11:44 AM   #1229
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Everything Disney has done so far as been gold. Really looking forward to the Boba Fett show.

Except the showpiece itself, the sequel trilogy. SOmEhOw PalPaTiNe iS bAcK.

The Disney small screen side, absolutely, Rebels, the ending of Clone Wars, the Bad Batch, the Mandalorian, were all terrific entries. Resistance was a misfire though.

The Sequel Trilogy was a disaster, and you can see Disney trying to not mention it at all. Even the fanbase is content to pretty much ignore the ST, and aren't clambering for another series of movies.

There are tales to tell here. I mean frankly it sounds like the Rebellion turned into the New Republic which basically lost the peace and allowed the old habits of corruption and the ignoring of the outer rim to fester. The one thing that they could have done in the lore was show that the First Order was actually welcomed on a lot of worlds that craved the stability and the promise of order of the Empire.

What worked in the small screen was that everything became a shade of grey in a way. While the Empire in a sense was bad, they probably were very popular at the start of their reign. The Rebellion didn't turn out to really be a good thing. We saw that in the Mandalorian where crime and slavery and poverty returned to the Outer Rim.

There really are a lot of stories to be told that don't need a skywalker or solo or Palpatine etc.

Old 11-02-2021, 01:30 PM   #1230
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should honestly just reboot the sequel trilogy and make a plan this time.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2021, 01:53 PM   #1231
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think its too late for a reboot of the sequel, I doubt the fans would trust it. And it would confuse things.

The only thing to do is to have a young Luke put in at the end of the sequel having a vision after the event of return of the Jedi, and asking ghost Yoda how he can prevent it, and Yoda directs him to Exogol and they blows it up with the biggest bomb they can find to prevent the future.

Old 11-02-2021, 01:58 PM   #1232
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The Newhart solution.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 02:03 PM   #1233
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think its too late for a reboot of the sequel, I doubt the fans would trust it. And it would confuse things.

The only thing to do is to have a young Luke put in at the end of the sequel having a vision after the event of return of the Jedi, and asking ghost Yoda how he can prevent it, and Yoda directs him to Exogol and they blows it up with the biggest bomb they can find to prevent the future.
You start with a 2 minute mini online video that has Chewy flashing through scenes of him in the new trilogy, then waking up suddenly in a massive soaking sweat. Just a mat of dank wookie. Then he realizes it was all a dream. An aweful, nonsensical dream.

There, setup for a new trilogy that doesn't suck. They could do the same for the prequel.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 02:13 PM   #1234
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I'm wondering how they'll resolve Grogu's storyline with the new trilogy. Grogu looks like a pretty powerful Jedi with the ability to change the balance of things. Was he training with Luke when Kylo Ren killed all the trainees? Maybe he was just off hiding somewhere and Kylo Ren doesn't know about him? Maybe Grogu's story has already resolved by the time the sequel trilogy events take place? Grogu is pretty powerful, but he can't blow up spaceships at a large distance like the force users in the new trilogy.

Maybe Grogu could just predict how pointless the whole Kylo Ren storyline was and just decided to stay out of it and let it resolve itself?
Old 11-02-2021, 02:14 PM   #1235
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Why is it too late?

Here's an idea. Don't use any of the original trilogy characters and make a new story. OH SHIIIIIIIIIT
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 02:37 PM   #1236
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Why is it too late?

Here's an idea. Don't use any of the original trilogy characters and make a new story. OH SHIIIIIIIIIT
Creatively. Bankrupt.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 02:58 PM   #1237
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
I'm wondering how they'll resolve Grogu's storyline with the new trilogy. Grogu looks like a pretty powerful Jedi with the ability to change the balance of things. Was he training with Luke when Kylo Ren killed all the trainees? Maybe he was just off hiding somewhere and Kylo Ren doesn't know about him? Maybe Grogu's story has already resolved by the time the sequel trilogy events take place? Grogu is pretty powerful, but he can't blow up spaceships at a large distance like the force users in the new trilogy.

Maybe Grogu could just predict how pointless the whole Kylo Ren storyline was and just decided to stay out of it and let it resolve itself?

Grogu is Snoke

Old 11-02-2021, 03:28 PM   #1238
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Grogu is Snoke
That does explain why Snoke was so spindly....also the massive scar across his head. Grogu got tired of being short and used some kind of stretching device to make himself really tall. The procedure involved a clamp across his head, which lead to the scar.

Grogu looks in the mirror after being stretched and yells "No......". He's forever evil afterwards....and obsessed with teaching his elite guard the art of dance.
Old 11-02-2021, 03:31 PM   #1239
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That does explain why Snoke was so spindly....also the massive scar across his head. Grogu got tired of being short and used some kind of stretching device to make himself really tall. The procedure involved a clamp across his head, which lead to the scar.

Grogu looks in the mirror after being stretched and yells "No......". He's forever evil afterwards....and obsessed with teaching his elite guard the art of dance.
I never thought that sadly enough....this is a better plot than what we got.

Yet here we are.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 03:35 PM   #1240
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is getting dangerously close to becoming a sequel discussion.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote