Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2022, 09:20 AM   #1221
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'm fuzzy, but wasn't there a civil war between the Q's in Voyager where they talked about Q's dying in it? I know that Q's were wounded in that war. Also wasn't there a Q that killed himself as well?
The Q that killed him self started the civil war, from my understanding that Q started being ultra-conservative and not taking risks that could lead to their deaths due to no new Q being born. The suicide reminded the Picard Q who he was and he started a rebellion against the status quo.

Him and his Q lover ended up having a baby in it which invalidated the war and the need for the status quo.

It's been a couple of years since I watched though.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 09:27 AM   #1222
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Q’s are powerful enough to kill each other, but most of them are billions of years old. Q kicking the bucket of natural causes within Picard’s lifetime is magnitudes more coincidental than one of us dying at the same time as a bacterium we just made friends with.
Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 09:27 AM   #1223
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I liked the distraction with Lt Kirk is on the way to the bridge. We did see a dead Samuel Kirk in the original series played by the Shat with a mustached who was James' brother. But they've indicated in this show that this Kirk is not that Kirk.
When/how did they indicate that? Everything I've read indicates that's exactly who it is.
Old 05-06-2022, 09:34 AM   #1224
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah going back on the interview I kind of misinterpreted it.

https://www.inverse.com/entertainmen...k-robert-april

Quote:
“He is very much not his brother,” Myers says. “And that is important. He's a different person. He comes from a different place. He has different ideas. He and Jim Kirk have a complex relationship, that we will eventually learn more about. But, the intention wasn't to come in and give us little ‘Kirk-lite’ flavor. Sam Kirk is his own man.”

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 09:42 AM   #1225
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
Q’s are powerful enough to kill each other, but most of them are billions of years old. Q kicking the bucket of natural causes within Picard’s lifetime is magnitudes more coincidental than one of us dying at the same time as a bacterium we just made friends with.

I am disappointed that Q’s fading away wasn’t a butterfly-effect thing. That would have been more logical for the Q character not the sentimental stuff.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 01:43 PM   #1226
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
Q simply brought himself to that time.
Old 05-06-2022, 02:20 PM   #1227
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I thought Picard mostly ended fine, certainly better than the last episode of season 1. The Borg stuff was a little hammy and they’ve set up ANOTHER galaxy ending threat that only our heroes will be able to stop for season 3. It stuck the landing with the Q / Picard relationship, which was important. Some other parts worked a little less well. But overall not terrible, which is high praise for live action Trek right now, ha..
Yeah, I liked the finale. Much better than the previous two episodes, and I was satisfied with the Q/Picard stuff.

Spoiler!
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 02:57 PM   #1228
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Q seemed to experience a time-linear existence, but he could navigate through our space-time continuum forward or backward in the process. I kind of wish they'd expounded on that a bit, even with a throwaway line like "I met you over 30 years ago in your lifetime, but billions of years passed between our encounters in my lifetime. When I first met you I was only a scant billion or so years old; I'm tens of billions of years old now..."

All in all Picard season 2 was... meh. I couldn't care less about the fates of Picard's "crew", but Agnes's was... odd. The whole involvement of the Borg felt shoe-horned and ridiculous, but that's the central tenet to the show I suppose: shoe-horned references and ridiculous plots. I guess they must have contractually owed Isa Briones some screen time, because otherwise the entire subplot involving her character was pointless. I'm tired of new, heretofore unknown antecedents or descendants of Noonian Soong being introduced; last year it was an unknown human progeny from the man himself, a flesh-and-blood "brother" to Data and Lore that was never ever spoken about before...? This season it's a great-great-great-...-grandfather who was into genetic engineering? Can we leave this family alone and just let it lie? Can Noonian Soong have just been a man who became a talented and accomplished cyberneticist for his own sake, not because his great-great-great-...-grandpa was a geneticist and he comes from a long line of mad scientists?

I guess this is why they released a Season 3 teaser before Season 2 had finished; interest was flagging and they weren't going to keep most of these characters around anyway. No great loss really. The Raffi character is still around I guess, but if Michelle Hurd's hammy always-on-the-verge-of-crying overacting is never to be seen again in a Trek show that'd be greaaaaaaaaat...

As for Strange New Worlds I have minor nitpicks—like the Soong character on Picard, why do we have a character ostensibly related to Khan on the crew? Why does NuTrek need to have these otherwise pointless tie-ins and call-backs?

Otherwise it was a very pleasant first outing. I've already said Anson Mount's 'Pike' was the most likeable character on Discovery, and that was a bad bad thing for the sake of Discovery being able to stand on its own, but it bode well for a Pike-centered spin-off. Here's a character who exudes a natural charisma that doesn't come across as forced in the way that e.g. Michael Burnham is Jesus. Pike has to come to terms with knowing how he 'dies' (although his vision didn't seem to have included living out his days with Vina on Talos IV...?), and he's understandably spooked by it, but otherwise when he has to be 'on' he's calm, cool, collected, confident: he's a great leader. He talks to La'an toward the end of the episode, asking why she didn't tell him she knew Number One, and he tactfully, respectfully turns it around on her: she says she was afraid he wouldn't trust her, but really she didn't trust him. He lightly admonishes and emphasizes the need to work together as a team. (The COMPLETE opposite of what Discovery is like, wherein Michael Burnham and Michael Burnham alone is the only person capable of saving the universe...)

The whole thing was just so much more positive and light-hearted and uplifting than the rest of the Star Trek properties ca. 2009-present. It did a lot of moralizing in the grand old fashion that Star Trek used to moralize, trying to make a point that we don't all have to hate each other and we could collectively strive for a much better future together. It's both a little hackneyed and very refreshing. I'm tired of "dark", "moody" storytelling: I want to watch something hopeful.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2022, 02:57 PM   #1229
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

There are a bunch of actors/characters not returning for season 3. I'll spoiler this in case people aren't caught up.

Spoiler!
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2022, 03:18 PM   #1230
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
There are a bunch of actors/characters not returning for season 3.
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2022, 04:53 PM   #1231
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Welp.

I will say this about SNW...the intro gave me actual feels.

Its been a long time Star Trek.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 05:20 PM   #1232
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn, I really enjoyed that first episode of Strange New Worlds. Very promising start.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 05:24 PM   #1233
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Damn, I really enjoyed that first episode of Strange New Worlds. Very promising start.
Look...I can appreciate the fact that they want to brag about their set budget, but come on!

The show itself thus far has been great, but they barely make Cruise Ships this opulent! He has a fireplace in his quarters! And a bar!

Okay. Okay...nitpicky. Still watching half-way through with a smile on my face so I'll take it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-06-2022, 06:10 PM   #1234
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wonder how McMurray feels about Mrs. McMurray bangin' Cap'n Pike...
Old 05-06-2022, 11:23 PM   #1235
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched SNW, and (granted my expectations were really low) didn't mind it. The bar has been buried in the sand by STD, to the point that in the one time that series was referenced in this show, I cringed. It does look like SNW will have no attachment to STD at all, and the mention was probably demanded by Kurtzman.

Most of my gripes were very nitpicky. Part of the charm of TOS and TNG was that everyones personality shone off of the bridge, but on the bridge it was all business. It made the stakes higher in every episode. If ever someone starts crying on the bridge, I'm out.

There were more nods to classic Trek than to Nu-Trek, and that gave me hope. Big pressure on episode 2.
Old 05-07-2022, 12:03 AM   #1236
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only other nitpick from me is the technology, and like in Picard, it is more advanced for the time period than it should have been. The ability to morph their appearances with simple injections wasn’t even possible in the ST:TNG era. And if it was that easy to do, Spock could have done that in City on the Edge of Forever and ST:IV to disguise his ears.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2022, 12:47 AM   #1237
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
The only other nitpick from me is the technology, and like in Picard, it is more advanced for the time period than it should have been. The ability to morph their appearances with simple injections wasn’t even possible in the ST:TNG era. And if it was that easy to do, Spock could have done that in City on the Edge of Forever and ST:IV to disguise his ears.
Lol! Yeah they needed some cutting edge Genetic Physician.

"What about some stick-on moustaches and hair dye?"

- Just get some of those marks on my forehead! By God Bones! Dont we have a sharpie somewhere??

"Dammit Jim! I'm a Doctor not a Staples employee!!"

Old 05-07-2022, 10:29 AM   #1238
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Lol! Yeah they needed some cutting edge Genetic Physician.

"What about some stick-on moustaches and hair dye?"

- Just get some of those marks on my forehead! By God Bones! Dont we have a sharpie somewhere??

"Dammit Jim! I'm a Doctor not a Staples employee!!"

I think if the writers ever bothered to watch any of the series they’d get some of the time lines right and then they wouldn’t have questions like why did Picard need facial surgery to look like a Romulan in TNG, but Pike only needed a shot in the arm to alter his appearance to look like a different species.

Or does Kurtzman think this is the Harry Potter universe and polyjuice potions are part of the Star Trek canon?
Old 05-07-2022, 10:44 AM   #1239
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I think if the writers ever bothered to watch any of the series they’d get some of the time lines right and then they wouldn’t have questions like why did Picard need facial surgery to look like a Romulan in TNG, but Pike only needed a shot in the arm to alter his appearance to look like a different species.

Or does Kurtzman think this is the Harry Potter universe and polyjuice potions are part of the Star Trek canon?
That campy nonsense like Spock using part of his robe to disguise his ears is part of what makes it fun!

They're supposed to be exploring and be put in new situations that they dont have a 'Deus Ex Machina' for. Let them improvise!

BS lies to aliens is huge part of Trek.

"You dont look like you're from 'round these parts..."

- Uh. Yeah...we're from a couple Provinces over. Yes...that'll do...

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2022, 02:10 PM   #1240
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
That campy nonsense like Spock using part of his robe to disguise his ears is part of what makes it fun!

They're supposed to be exploring and be put in new situations that they dont have a 'Deus Ex Machina' for. Let them improvise!

BS lies to aliens is huge part of Trek.

"You dont look like you're from 'round these parts..."

- Uh. Yeah...we're from a couple Provinces over. Yes...that'll do...

Yeah, I agree the campiness is fun and who doesn’t love Hippy Spock or Long Shore-man Spock. I just don’t know why suddenly potions are available that accomplish this. They could have kept with it campy and gone Team America style or something.

Anyway, that was my nitpick. Writers that don’t seem to know what century they’re writing for.