Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2020, 02:35 PM   #1221
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Knives Out - I loved all of the performances in this. I think that I could listen to Daniel Craig's southern drawl all day. He just nails it. I liked how it kept you guessing the entire movie and was very enjoyable. 8/10

A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood - As it was said above, Tom Hanks delivers on this one. It was not what I expected either, but I was into it from the start. Hanks is spot on. His voice, his mannerisms. It brought out the right about of nostalgia. 8/10
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brocoli For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2020, 07:42 PM   #1222
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Extra Ordinary is a supernatural comedy starring Will Forte. It’s silly fun full of dark Irish wit.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2020, 02:07 PM   #1223
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Finally saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I loved it. Very watchable characters. I thought Pitt and Leo were great. Loved the scene with Pitt and that "little prick" Bruce Lee. The Manson stuff was interesting and the last few scenes were tremendous. This is my favourite Tarantino movie in a looooong time.
4 out of 5
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2020, 07:08 AM   #1224
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I Am Mother (Netflix movie). If you're into films that are tight, smart and well made, this is for you. It's an excellent scifi flick with an interesting premise, and even though the ending is a bit dark, I personally really enjoyed where they took the story. Even if you're not into scifi, you can just enjoy it as a well paced and well acted thriller/drama. Would recommend.

Aquaman. Did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did. It's really dumb, but entertainingly so. Would recommend.

Spider-Man (2002, the first one, directed by Sam Raimi). Oh boy, I had forgotten just how good this is. I feel it's a bit overlooked now as it isn't part of any continuity anymore, but if you haven't watched it in a while I recommend you take a look. Even after everything MCU has done since, it's still a strong competitor for the best superhero movie of all time.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2020, 09:09 AM   #1225
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The Raimi Spider Man 1 & 2 will be the Spider Man films that stand the test of time the best imo. Why? Because Sam Raimi just makes better films than most other directors. He's a better storyteller. The new one's with Tom Holland are fine but mostly forgettable.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:43 AM   #1226
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
The Raimi Spider Man 1 & 2 will be the Spider Man films that stand the test of time the best imo. Why? Because Sam Raimi just makes better films than most other directors. He's a better storyteller. The new one's with Tom Holland are fine but mostly forgettable.
I personally would rather see Raimi focus on horror movies or dark drama rather than waste his talents on superhero movies. More movies like Evil Dead/Army of Darkness or Simple Plan type of movie is what I would like to see.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:12 AM   #1227
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm gonna also going to throw my recommendation in for Jojo Rabbit.

See this movie. There's a few days left at the Plaza, go on a date, go with friends, go alone, just go see it.

Spoiler!

Movie just hit all the rights notes. Would have been so easy to bungle the concept up, but it was a great balance and shift from comedy to black comedy to dramatic moments (and back). Waititi hit it out of the park. There's some mixed feelings on ScarJo's performance but I thought it was great. Rebel Wilson was probably the weakest part of the movie IMO but it even wasn't all that bad because it was such a minor role. Roman Griffin Davis just nailed it, pretty incredible for a first timer.

Best movie I've seen in a while,.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2020, 10:34 AM   #1228
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Finally saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I loved it. Very watchable characters. I thought Pitt and Leo were great. Loved the scene with Pitt and that "little prick" Bruce Lee. The Manson stuff was interesting and the last few scenes were tremendous. This is my favourite Tarantino movie in a looooong time.
4 out of 5

I feel like I have to comment on this. Tarantino based this scene on a quote that has been mis-attributed to Bruce Lee about how he would cripple Ali in a fight. In reality, Bruce knew full well that Ali would smash him in fight.

Actual quote: "look at my hand,That’s a little Chinese hand. He’d kill me!”

Bruce may have kept himself in a permanent state of dehydration, electrocuted himself to workout, ate balls of hash and drank grease-milkshakes, but he wasn't crazy enough to think he'd beat a world boxing champ with 100 lbs on him.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2020, 01:09 PM   #1229
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
4 out of 5
My favourite Tarantino movie I think. Loved the whole thing, watched it twice on back to back days. The scene of Rick at work, prepping for the scene, talking to the little actor, forgetting lines, freaking out, performing and killing it in the scene was great. Just an awesome 25(?) minute segue of the craft dropped into the middle of the movie. The scenes from his Italian movies were a funny little side piece as well.

The tension of the ranch scene as well. Just a fantastic movie.

And the complaining about the Bruce Lee scene was ridiculous. It was nothing. He was portrayed as arrogant, he was arrogant. Part of what made him awesome was how cocky he was.

Last edited by nik-; 01-06-2020 at 01:11 PM.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2020, 03:07 PM   #1230
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Holy crap does Ad Astra suck.

1/10

Want 2 hours of my life back.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2020, 10:35 PM   #1231
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Third watch.

Film of the decade. I had a long fav films of the decade post a while ago. If I were to narrow it to 5:

1.Once Upon a Time...
2. The Social Network
3. The Martian
4. Infinity War
5. The Big Short

Saw it in theatre on b2b days and still felt like I wanted to see it again right after. Having now watched it again, I’d happily sit thru it a 4th time.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:55 PM   #1232
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Big Short would have been better if they didn't do the celebrity cameos. I loved the movie, but I hated those scenes. Just build explanations into the dialogue or have Ryan Gosling as the narrator do it. I know it's tough because why would these characters have dumbed down conversations about this stuff, but it would have been less jarring.

Minor quibble, I know.
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 12:46 PM   #1233
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Holy crap does Ad Astra suck.

1/10

Want 2 hours of my life back.
Agreed.

I rented it on iTunes. Had to stop it with about 45 minutes remaining. Never bothered to finish it the next day. First time I think I’ve ever done that.

I just ended up googling the ending for a bit a closure.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:04 PM   #1234
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
Agreed.

I rented it on iTunes. Had to stop it with about 45 minutes remaining. Never bothered to finish it the next day. First time I think I’ve ever done that.

I just ended up googling the ending for a bit a closure.
That was me with Be Cool. First film I ever just said F it and walked away from which is saying a lot as I go out of my way to watch and enjoy bad films. Worst sequel in the history of sequels. If you like it you’re a bad person and you should feel bad.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:08 PM   #1235
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
That was me with Be Cool. First film I ever just said F it and walked away from which is saying a lot as I go out of my way to watch and enjoy bad films. Worst sequel in the history of sequels. If you like it you’re a bad person and you should feel bad.
Not cool.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:11 PM   #1236
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
My favourite Tarantino movie I think. Loved the whole thing, watched it twice on back to back days. The scene of Rick at work, prepping for the scene, talking to the little actor, forgetting lines, freaking out, performing and killing it in the scene was great. Just an awesome 25(?) minute segue of the craft dropped into the middle of the movie. The scenes from his Italian movies were a funny little side piece as well.

The tension of the ranch scene as well. Just a fantastic movie.

And the complaining about the Bruce Lee scene was ridiculous. It was nothing. He was portrayed as arrogant, he was arrogant. Part of what made him awesome was how cocky he was.

Beautifully shot movie, too.

Also, watch through the credits as there's a bonus ad for smokes from Rick Dalton.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:36 PM   #1237
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Beautifully shot movie, too.

Also, watch through the credits as there's a bonus ad for smokes from Rick Dalton.
This cigarette tastes like ####ing ####
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2020, 12:02 PM   #1238
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

for those who are wondering about watching "1917"
interview with the editor and cinematographer.

'A level of anxiety I don't want to go through again': Making one-shot masterpiece '1917'

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/19...ith/index.html

"1917" is a simple story complex in its storytelling. Mendes' film -- inspired by tales told by his grandfather, a messenger in World War I -- tracks two British soldiers on a mission through No Man's Land to deliver instructions to advancing troops in mortal peril. Failure isn't an option, and the urgency of the situation demands that we follow them every step of the way. So that's what the camera does.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2020, 12:12 PM   #1239
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post

'A level of anxiety I don't want to go through again': Making one-shot masterpiece '1917'

"1917" is a simple story complex in its storytelling. Mendes' film -- inspired by tales told by his grandfather, a messenger in World War I -- tracks two British soldiers on a mission through No Man's Land to deliver instructions to advancing troops in mortal peril. Failure isn't an option, and the urgency of the situation demands that we follow them every step of the way. So that's what the camera does.
Going to see this one tomorrow. I'm a sucker for war movies and anything Roger Deakins does. Really looking forward to this one.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:25 PM   #1240
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post

Great! so it's no Dunkirk! must watch.