Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2023, 02:15 PM   #12201
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

So much flipping and plea deals! Drumpf is going to love this soon.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 06:57 PM   #12202
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Forgive my limited knowledge in this realm of American politics, but can someone explain to me why the House Speaker is such a big deal? I'm actually unsure as to why there's so much coverage of it.
John Goodman's character in the West Wing was the Republican speaker and was President when Zoe was abducted.

Not only are they 3rd in line for the Presidency, you're the front runner for President if you do a good job unless Hawkeye decides to run.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 07:15 PM   #12203
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

To answer a little more about why this is a big deal.

In the last 100+ years, the majority party elects a speaker nearly unanimously and it's no big deal. Without a speaker, they can't do anything, and the government runs out of funding on Nov 17. Usually parties all fall in line with what the party leaders and majority of house want. The problem here is there is the gang of 8 hardliners/disruptors/destructionists led by Matt Gaetz who are more than happy to shut down/blow up the government for "reasons". Since the Republican majority is so slim, the gang of 8 has the power to either have their chosen one as speaker, or handcuff the current speaker by not supporting anything but their fringe desires which would shut down the government.

There are still a handful of Republican congress people who actually want the government to continue to operate, and know that someone like Jordan will be more than happy to shut down the government for months instead of bringing forward bills that will pass the house/senate/president. The option of going with a speaker willing to work with Democrats to get things through when the republicans have the majority is a no go for the far right.

So there is basically no scenario to move forward other than giving into the destructionist republicans or the moderate democrats. and so far no path to keeping the government functioning past Nov 18.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2023, 08:01 PM   #12204
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Why would you enter into a criminal conspiracy with a guy named Cheese Bro? There's never been a more slam dunk name for a guy that will rat you out.
His son Richard really gets a hard time in school.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 11:12 PM   #12205
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

The irony of all of this is apparently the reason Gaetz hates McCarthy is because at some GOP gathering a while back he'd been trying to get some very drunk young female aide to help him 'find his room' and McCarthy stepped in to stop an obvious sexual assault happening, the US political system will grind to a halt because a skinner had his game shut down
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 02:04 PM   #12206
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I hate that you made me respect McCarthy a tiny bit.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2023, 02:16 PM   #12207
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
To answer a little more about why this is a big deal.

In the last 100+ years, the majority party elects a speaker nearly unanimously and it's no big deal. Without a speaker, they can't do anything, and the government runs out of funding on Nov 17. Usually parties all fall in line with what the party leaders and majority of house want. The problem here is there is the gang of 8 hardliners/disruptors/destructionists led by Matt Gaetz who are more than happy to shut down/blow up the government for "reasons". Since the Republican majority is so slim, the gang of 8 has the power to either have their chosen one as speaker, or handcuff the current speaker by not supporting anything but their fringe desires which would shut down the government.

There are still a handful of Republican congress people who actually want the government to continue to operate, and know that someone like Jordan will be more than happy to shut down the government for months instead of bringing forward bills that will pass the house/senate/president. The option of going with a speaker willing to work with Democrats to get things through when the republicans have the majority is a no go for the far right.

So there is basically no scenario to move forward other than giving into the destructionist republicans or the moderate democrats. and so far no path to keeping the government functioning past Nov 18.
In more normal times, members of Congress felt pressure from their constituents and would actually act due to that pressure. But I think now, they no longer give af about this pressure and more people from their constituents care more about sticking it to the other side than having the government open. The US, as we knew it for the past 50 years will be completely changed and unrecognizable in the next 15 as a result of what's happening down there.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 03:05 PM   #12208
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
In more normal times, members of Congress felt pressure from their constituents and would actually act due to that pressure. But I think now, they no longer give af about this pressure and more people from their constituents care more about sticking it to the other side than having the government open.
This is what happens when you gerrymander congressional districts to a point where the only question regarding who gets elected in most of them is whether they get beaten in a primary by someone more extreme than they are.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2023, 03:39 PM   #12209
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

He’s either a complete idiot or he’s trolling Republican voters.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1716547648658850017
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 03:39 PM   #12210
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Both?
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2023, 03:42 PM   #12211
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
the bright side is it further cemented by hatred of Gaetz

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 03:57 PM   #12212
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post

I didn't think the text of the tweet could be real. BOY i was wrong.
Monahammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 04:03 PM   #12213
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, he calls Hamas "hummus" all the time, so I kind of buy he just figured out how to spell "U.S.".
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2023, 04:26 PM   #12214
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Welcome to 2023, where the elected leaders of the free world are just barely clearing the morality bar at 'rapist,' and it's considered an accomplishment.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 04:27 PM   #12215
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post

Hahaha I love this. He's so dumb.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2023, 11:17 PM   #12216
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

This is getting ridiculous.

Quote:
House Republicans this week are still trying to find a speaker and Politico's Playbook reports that allies of former President Donald Trump are trying to torpedo a prospective candidate's bid before it even gets off the ground.

Although Rep. Tom Emmer (R-MN) appears to have significant support within the House Republican conference, some MAGA Republicans are claiming that he would be a poor choice due to his supposed disloyalty to the former president.

"He’s openly hostile to Trump, which isn’t helpful since Trump will be the nominee,” one Republican lawmaker told Playbook. “It’s laughable that he, at the end of the day, would end up being the speaker of the House. Even if he gets the majority of the majority, he will come far short for members who won’t vote for him on the floor."
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/polit...f03e3f21&ei=11
Old 10-24-2023, 10:10 AM   #12217
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If he just learned how to spell U.S. maybe now he should learn how to spell stolen.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2023, 11:59 AM   #12218
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tom Emmer won their nomination, but he's apparently 26 votes short ... and those are mostly hardliners, clowns and chaos agents. No chance he gets to 217.

Doubt Democrats would help, but if there's one candidate who'd be worth it, it's Emmer. At least he operates in the real world.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 12:04 PM   #12219
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another former Trump lawyer, Jenna Ellis, has flipped and is cooperating with prosecutors. Cue Trump rant calling her nothing but a "Covfefe Girl" shortly.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/10/24/trum...t-to-flip.html
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2023, 12:53 PM   #12220
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Another former Trump lawyer, Jenna Ellis, has flipped and is cooperating with prosecutors. Cue Trump rant calling her nothing but a "Covfefe Girl" shortly.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/10/24/trum...t-to-flip.html
We've definitely got him this time.