Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2024, 10:03 AM   #1201
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
People keep saying this, and I wonder too. I do think us Flames fans are probably over-estimating how much impact Coleman's year is having on his value. Don't get me wrong, I think Coleman is an incredibly valuable piece to a contending team, but I don't think GMs around the league will be putting too much stock in the extra offensive side of things he's showing this year.

He's pretty established, and I think most will still view him as the gritty, PK, "type you need in the playoffs", cup experience guy he is, not all that + offensive threat. All that to say, that feels like a player who's value will be highest when his contract is expiring. I just don't see people wanting multiple years of Coleman necissarily.

Edit: holy smokes I forgot how many more years we have Coleman locked down.
Also worth mentioning Coleman’s leadership skills and his value as a role model for the younger players - hope Conroy isn’t looking at trading him.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Bozek For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 10:07 AM   #1202
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony-soprano View Post
Like this deal for Conroy, this sets the standard for upcoming trades.

Wonder if Flames are getting calls on Coleman, dudes killing it this year and a beast in the playoffs.

Must be some mighty stupid GM's in the NHL if they aren't calling the Flames on Coleman. Perfect addition for any of the top teams lacking a real pro with some grit to his game and skilled as well.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 10:08 AM   #1203
redmile04
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
The Score rated the trade an A for the Canucks and a B- for the Flames.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...ws/2835022/amp
Which is accurate IMO, this puts the canucks in contention for a cup and the flames get a whole bunch of maybes, maybe i try not to get too excited for deals anymore, i was over the moon with the return for Tkachuk and i feel stupid now.

Timing was bad on moving him but I guess they wanted to see how the season went so all things considered now, decent haul.. time will tell like most deals.
Old 02-01-2024, 10:08 AM   #1204
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Just thinking about the state of affairs, the trade market this past offseason, it seemed like the worst possible timing to be trying to trade Lindy, Hanny, etc.

Now it seems like there's been a great shift in the trade market - not too surprising, but now have to hand it to Connie and the patience he has showed.
I've been impressed with Conroy's patience from the very beginning. I feel like its the best quality that Conroy has shown us as a GM. So awesome!
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 10:08 AM   #1205
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I would have no issue trading Coleman but I don't really love retaining his salary for 3 years after this one. I just don't think you'd get a return that could ever justify it.

I think if Coleman get's moved it's in the offseason when teams have cap space, and his $4.9M salary looks more attractive once the cap goes up by $4-5M.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 10:10 AM   #1206
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
I'm sure its asked but I cannot find.

Is it pronounced BrustaVitz? Bruestavitz? Brueshtavitz?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1752878811496997280

Brew-stehv-itch

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 10:10 AM   #1207
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brewsky it is.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 10:13 AM   #1208
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Pretty sure his name has Polish origins. From what I've learned with my Polish language exposure over the past few years, Brzustewicz would be Brr-jews-te-vich.

Z with a soft J . W is a v sound. Cz is pronounced with a "ch" sound.
In her interview with Conny, Natasha pronounced it very closely to that (not sure about the soft J) "Broo-stay-vitch".
Old 02-01-2024, 10:14 AM   #1209
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watch the highlights, they say his name plenty.

"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 10:15 AM   #1210
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yeah I would have no issue trading Coleman but I don't really love retaining his salary for 3 years after this one. I just don't think you'd get a return that could ever justify it.

I think if Coleman get's moved it's in the offseason when teams have cap space, and his $4.9M salary looks more attractive once the cap goes up by $4-5M.
Are the Flames going to need that cap space in any of those years? If not it does not really matter. I don’t think this team will compete for anything until the final year of Coleman’s contract so personally I am not too worried about it. If you end up getting an absolute haul for him it really does not matter.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 10:15 AM   #1211
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Super happy with this trade BTW, anyone unhappy about it is simply a stick in the mud and doomed to be forever displeased lol.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 10:16 AM   #1212
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
In her interview with Conny, Natasha pronounced it very closely to that (not sure about the soft J) "Broo-stay-vitch".
Waiting for the Derek Wills "Brez-shtoo-wizz". He doesn't have "Rujeetska" to kick around any more.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 10:19 AM   #1213
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Do you have a link to the ranking? Would like to see it. Would like to see their ranking prior to the start of the season for comparison if you have it. Just found The Hockey Writer's mid-season prospect rankings and Vancouver jumped to 16 just ahead of the Flames and Brzustewicz was added to their top five. If a player isn't ranked before the season and then jumps to #5, that would speak volumes about the dearth of quality prospects in the system more than anything. I also wouldn't say Wallinder or Lekkerimaki are A+ prospects. Not many teams have an A+ prospect, let alone two, especially a system ranked in the middle of the league. The Flames have zero A+ prospects and are at #17. I think that because Brzustewicz is a Flame now his stock has skyrocketed for the board. If he was a name tossed around as the principle before the trade was announced the mood on the possible deal would have been much different and people would not have been happy. They would have (and did) demanded Wallinder or Lekkerimaki along with Hoglander and the 1st for compensation of taking on Kuzmenko. As I've said, it's a good trade for the depth it provides to our paper thin prospect depth on the blueline, but it is a futures trade and now we have to watch and hope these kids turn into players.
Saw plenty at the beginning of the trade drop last night suggesting Kuzmenko, Brzustewicz and a 1st would be a great trade for Calgary, so there was plenty of appreciation for the Canuck's third ranked prospect before has named in the trade.

Getting another prospect and a pick makes this trade more than most were expecting (not all).

Wouldn't it make sense to just admit they got more than you expected instead of shifting to diminishing a pretty good prospect in order to maintain you were right?

So tiring.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 10:22 AM   #1214
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Elias Lindholm is a Vancouver Canuck.

Hearing Conroy talk about dealing with Allvin is quite funny and insightful.

Conroy: Congratulations on your extension
Allvin: No talk, only trade.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver

Last edited by Blaster86; 02-01-2024 at 10:24 AM.
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 10:22 AM   #1215
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brewster.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 10:23 AM   #1216
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajazz View Post
Hey, just saw this. Pretty cool deal!

This Kuz guy isn’t sustaining last years 27% that’s for sure, but could be a decent 20/20 guy if he’d put in any effort in all zones.

Maybe flip him at this, or next deadline. Perhaps he gels with Hubby and scores 20g more to close out the season and is flipped before the draft.
I think it's more likely they can get some value out of him at next year's deadline if they put him in a position to succeed. Absolutely can benefit from playing with Huberdeau - and probably vice versa.

If they ultimately get a third out of him, that's good asset management IMO. Anything more is a coup.

I think people are probably overrating the value Brzustewicz has. He's having a historic season but if you watch how he actually plays, he has a ceiling as a poor man's Torey Krug basically. And a lot of these types of players don't ultimately pan out. I really don't know how to value him. A mid 2nd maybe?

Jurmo had no value to the Canucks as he wasn't signed, so that's magic beans, but worth maybe a 6th-7th. It's not much but it's not nothing.

I think this is pretty solid value for what is essentially a rental player who has been rumoured to be asking for the moon in contract negotiations, is about to be 30 years old and who has had back to back disappointing seasons on the offensive side of the puck. I don't think there was more value to squeeze out and now the team can focus on other things for the next month leading to the deadline and maybe get more value from other assets.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 10:24 AM   #1217
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Brew man.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 10:25 AM   #1218
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Conroy definitely got more than I expected

Whether the picks and prospects become anything is a different question that we don’t know for years.

I also like to have a look at Kuzmenko. Pretty low risk as it’s only 1 year. Worst case he is another Mangipane
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 10:25 AM   #1219
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Just watch the highlights, they say his name plenty.

I've seen that play that starts at 0:31 of this video a few times now and it's a beauty. However, it does have a very Huberdeau-esque vibe to it.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 10:27 AM   #1220
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
If I told you in September we'd have Vancouver's unprotected 1st and four goodies for Lindholm, we'd all be throwing a party in here. So let's do it!
In fairness, in September Vancouvers unprotected first would have projected to be a lot higher of a pick than it does now. The only reason it's unprotected is they are making the playoffs.

The other thing I think is interesting is that with Kuz's contract this trade actually cost the Flames cap space. Cap friendly has them at just under $1.5MM of space remaining but only 11F right now (plus Dube, who is pretty unlikely to play). Even assuming we only run with 12F you're pretty close to the line once you call someone up, and wouldn't have been able to retain.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote