Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2020, 10:21 PM   #1201
Saint Troy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Maybe a 2001 Pats fan.

I hope that by 2038 I will feel the same way you did at this time last year.
Enjoy it man, as it’s complete stress for two weeks when your team is in it.

Saint Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:07 PM   #1202
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

No dog in this fight. Just wanted a good game and got it. Happy for Andy Reid, but why oh why did the ‘Niners turn to the pass with the lead?!?!
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:18 PM   #1203
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

As much as I've capped on Andy Reid over the years, I'm super happy for him.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2020, 12:58 AM   #1204
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Congrats to the Chiefs. Not too shabby for their first super bowl appearance in almost a half century.

Niners fans must be hurting. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a defence look that great after 90% of the game only to fall apart late.

That Trump tweet reminds me of my all time favourite Final Jeopardy! Category NFL Geography with the question being to name the only state that touches the Mississippi and has two NFL teams. Too bad the Rams moved as this doesn’t apply anymore.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:18 AM   #1205
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just glad it's finally over and the Hunts and Reid got their Super Bowl. I don't believe there was a conspiracy (props to the Chiefs offensive line for having a perfect game, not holding even once in a full game against the best DL in the NFL but at the end of the say Shanahan needs to learn how not to screw up in the Super Bowl as his clock management was abysmal) but I do believe this is something the league wanted. Now they can move forward.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:21 AM   #1206
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1224173232460222465

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2020, 07:35 AM   #1207
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1224184490249084930

Get that CanCon
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2020, 09:00 AM   #1208
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

With more time to think about it, I don't think Shanahan deserves too much blame for the fourth quarter play calling, you are playing the greatest offense in history in terms of ability to score rapidly, expecting to run out the clock is unrealistic. But that end of the first half sequence is unforgivable and made it much weirder at the end that he chose to trust Garoppolo to make some throws in the fourth quarter with the lead. If you can't trust him to get a FG with a minute and all three timeouts, why do it at the end when the clock is your friend? But trying to score more is the best way to beat the Chiefs, not trying to play it safe. The Chiefs also finally started taking deep shots and the Hill and Watkins catches were easy money. It's just insane how many of their drives can be three minutes or so, fast break football pretty much.

But maybe in the end it was all very simple as to what decided the game: The Chiefs had third and 15 and Mahomes completes a great throw for 44 yards, while the Niners had third and 10 and Garoppolo misses an open receiver for the go ahead touchdown. As we see more often than not in the current NFL the team with the better QB won the game. With Mahomes set to shatter the QB market, it's good they cashed now. As for Garoppolo the Niners are up against the cap and have a few key guys who need new deals. Gonna be interesting to see if they extend him or not to free up some space
Old 02-03-2020, 09:19 AM   #1209
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

^From what I can remember, the “greatest show on turf” was even more potent. Mahome is great, Hill is dynamic, Kelce is clutch but that offence would have multiple downfield strikes. Great QB in Warner, HOFer RB in Marshall Faulk, great receivers in Isaac Bruce and Torrie Holt. Hakim had blazing speed like Hill.

Congrats to Chiefs! With Mahomes at helm, they’re only getting started. Will be interesting to see if his new deal is fully guaranteed, its gonna be massive but full guarantee might be whats needed to get his signed long-term.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2020, 10:14 AM   #1210
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
^From what I can remember, the “greatest show on turf” was even more potent. Mahome is great, Hill is dynamic, Kelce is clutch but that offence would have multiple downfield strikes. Great QB in Warner, HOFer RB in Marshall Faulk, great receivers in Isaac Bruce and Torrie Holt. Hakim had blazing speed like Hill.

Congrats to Chiefs! With Mahomes at helm, they’re only getting started. Will be interesting to see if his new deal is fully guaranteed, its gonna be massive but full guarantee might be whats needed to get his signed long-term.
Someone watches Ballers.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:19 AM   #1211
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Holy crow that is the definition of a bad beat.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:36 AM   #1212
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Holy crow that is the definition of a bad beat.
But also hilarious.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2020, 10:58 AM   #1213
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

If Kittle doesnt push off at the end of the first half then it is genius. He didn't need to push.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2020, 11:35 AM   #1214
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I put my phone away to just kind of soak it in last night. I started cheering for the Chiefs years ago, basically because I just liked Christian Okoye. I just know that was sometime in high school and I've followed them ever since, but obviously last night was the highlight for me. I guess that's been about 3 decades of mostly hopes and dreams that finally came to fruition!

I was a little concerned when Mahomes threw the two picks. He was just a little off and you could see what he was trying to do, but it wasn't coming off. And of course defence wins championships, so maybe that was the case. I took a long look at the betting lines at that point (+347 for the comeback) and decided I'd put enough down on the game.

I guess I'm still kind of at a loss for words. I'm not even sure what to say, because I just think back to all the playoff disappointments through the years. Last year against the Patriots, or a few years ago against the Colts might be the worst of them. The Colts always seem to be the problem! Anyway, I'm just so happy that we managed to come out on top after all these years!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2020, 11:42 AM   #1215
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of gambling how'd everyone do?

I only made one bet - the Chiefs win by 7-12 points at +475.
Feels good man.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 12:41 PM   #1216
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
No dog in this fight. Just wanted a good game and got it. Happy for Andy Reid, but why oh why did the ‘Niners turn to the pass with the lead?!?!
Mike Shanahan could teach a course on how to blow a double digit 4th quarter lead in the Super Bowl.
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 12:50 PM   #1217
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
US pro major leagues except for hockey have it wrong in giving it to owners first. Players actually have to go out and earn. They actually put their bodies on the line for many months to be able to be crown champions. They should be touching first. Without them, there are no players for the team.
Agreed. From a business perspective, I get why the commissioner likes giving it to the owner first; they're the one who shells out all the money, and have the closest relationship on the team with the commissioner. But they need to remember why sports is such big business in the first place: the consumer.

Fans watch their team battle, sweat, bleed and leave everything out there during a grueling playoff run, now they want to see those players lift up the trophy in euphoria...not watch the person in the suit the cameras pan to a couple times a game watching from their private suite do it first.
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2020, 12:52 PM   #1218
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh
Colquitt may be the best in the game at kicking to inside 20. He had 3 touch backs all year. As it was, 9ers almost faced start inside 5. How stupid does Shanahan look when the ninersare punting from end zone with a minute left in half? He had to make that timeout call before the punt.
Would I have called timeout? Yes
Is it wrong to not call it? I don't think so
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:08 PM   #1219
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is some logic in not calling the timeout after the Chiefs came up short on the third down, but it was just straight up cowardly to not try and get points after the touchback when you have all three timeouts. As we saw last night, and have seen in many Chiefs games, they can score multiple times very quickly. You need to take every chance you can to try and score against them, you can't seriously believe you can shut them down all game. I also did not like kicking the FG for 13-10 for the same reason, fourth and two with the Niners running game is easily convertible.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:19 PM   #1220
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The worst offense was not calling timeout on 4th down with the clock nearing 0 seconds on the drive that sealed their fate. You could tell that there was some confusion as Garoppolo was having issues getting the play out in the huddle and a coach needs to call time out before the clock gets to 0. Even if the officials do the right thing and call delay of game that would incur a runoff as well as an additional 5 yards to make a 1st down so he should have called timeout with a second or two left on the play clock. With all three timeouts I'm at a loss why he wouldn't have called TO there to make sure the offensive players were on the same page and in the best place to execute a play where the Super Bowl was on the line.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: