Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2021, 03:07 PM   #1201
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I miss Toyota from the 90s. The were understated but still had a definitive look that felt like a cohesive brand. 4Runner or Camry or Mr2...they were clean but distinct. The last 20 years they've either made generic looking appliances, or try-hard over designed messes.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2021, 03:55 PM   #1202
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
But the new Yaris looks like a Focus ST and a Mazda 3 had an ugly baby.
You talkin' about the GR Yaris? One of the most hyped about cars right now?

Cuz' I would do many deeds done dirt cheap to own one of these.....
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2021, 05:25 PM   #1203
WCan_Kid
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I'm sorry, those aren't even remotely comparable. The Hyundai has a cohesive design that looks like it wasn't "design by committee".

The Camry? Look at that stupid gigantic aluminum grill below the body-colored grill. Who the hell thought that made any sense?
"What should the grille be?"
"I like body coloured and angular."
"No way, straight slatted aluminum!"
"How about we do both?"
"Perfect! Aaand that's lunch, good job team."
Haha, fair enough. That trim level probably wasn't the best example. I totally agree that most of the new configurations look terrible, but through my eyes it's less the overall car and more the Canadian Tire stick-on mods look that jump out in most colors. Hyundai might look more cohesive, and from the right angle some versions catch my eye, but for the most part they still look equally as terrible to me.

My favourite designs are the '63 split window vette and the '85 crx so take it with a grain.
WCan_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WCan_Kid For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2021, 07:08 PM   #1204
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Camry looks fine. It is no longer the forgettable looking A to B car it's been for a few decades which is half the battle. The TRD version is a little overdone but the Japanese nearly always go garish on sporty versions. I have seen a lot of TRD Camry's on the streets which is a little surprising as I never thought the typical Camry buyer would be interested in a all show no go version of a people mover.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:11 PM   #1205
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want a late 60's Toyota Century.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:19 PM   #1206
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm always tempted to import a 15 year old Century.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2021, 07:23 PM   #1207
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Those Camry's are fantastic and have extremely loyal owners. In fact those boring cars built Toyota's iron clad reputation and made them the power house they are today. Fake ass vents and giant grilles don't make a better car.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 09:00 PM   #1208
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Back to ragging in Nissan...I was looking through just curious on fuel economy on the old Frontier, and something didn't seem right. So I checked some other vehicles.

^Some other ugly Nissan

It took me a minute, because the 2wd Frontier was showing lower mpg numbers than the 4wd with the same engine, which didn't make sense. Then I had to ask myself "wait, why are these in mpg in Canada? Are they that lazy they copied the US data?" But no, no they did not. These are l/100km, labeled as mpg. Good effort, guys. How has no one noticed this? Am I the first person to look at the Nissan website?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2021, 09:09 PM   #1209
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

CP ####ting on Nissan as the last post I read before bed is perfect. All seems right with the world...I'm going to sleep like a baby.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2021, 09:20 PM   #1210
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I have seen a lot of TRD Camry's on the streets which is a little surprising as I never thought the typical Camry buyer would be interested in a all show no go version of a people mover.
It's very likely because the dealer brings in really only spec's up versions to make the most profit on. Few if any people in that demographic will wait 10 weeks for a factory order for a base Canary. In addition to the.pressure the dealer pushes on the same slightly naieve people that the incentives on this one on the lot are a today thing and can't be guaranteed on a factory order base model, and then pushing that the very good looking trim works out to be only $x more.

Probably also incentivized by Toyota head office to sell the upscale trims. I've seen some base model new Camrys and they look odd and unfinished, example as they still have a dual cutout in the bumper for two exhaust ports but have a muffler only on one side, and other cost cuts that make the car look like a Frankenstein. No comparison to the property finished upper trims as far as dealer lot curb appeal, so people get sucked in even if they think it may be a bit out of their comfort zone.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:41 AM   #1211
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Purely anecdotal, but when the new “sporty” Camry came out it sparked some funny conversations amongst my work friends. We did an informal survey and it was completely polarized on age. Anyone over 50 thought it looked great and anyone under 40 thought it was ridiculous. We all found this especially funny considering I’m sure Toyota is trying to appeal to the younger demographic. It would be so Toyota to build something for the young demo that only the older demo likes.

We’ve had two older camrys and they were fantastic cars. Just rock solid boring automobiles. If they made an AWD version I may have had to test drive one just to see if I could get over the “boring” part. We have a 2018 Toyota Sienna and same thing, that thing is just an amazing boring vehicle. I think my wife has now sold three to her friends and she was firmly anti-van until she got stuck in a parking lot with our old SUV where two huge SUVs parked to close and she had to haul a baby through the hatch.
bagofpucks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2021, 08:53 AM   #1212
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
You talkin' about the GR Yaris? One of the most hyped about cars right now?

Cuz' I would do many deeds done dirt cheap to own one of these.....
I'm talking about the 2020 Yaris.

Let me show you what I mean. Here's a shot of the Ford Focus sedan alongside a Mazda 2 hatch.

Spoiler!
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2021, 09:18 AM   #1213
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

There is some crazy good pricing on the new 2021 f150 2 year leases, specifically the lariat with the 2.7L v6 engine.

Anyone have one? Thoughts?

Anyone considering one?

I've got a 2014 f150 FX4 3.5L right now. Considering selling it to get a 2021 to drive for 2 years.

Here is the RFD discussion about it - https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ford.../52/#p33981251 (link goes to a specific message on a truck that a Calgarian ordered).

$13k all-in to drive a brand new f150 for 2 years seems pretty good.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2021, 09:59 AM   #1214
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I went with a 2020 F150 as I didn’t love some of the aesthetic changes and I was scared to purchase a brand new model from Ford, but I also hope to have my truck for 15 years, so these shouldn’t be issues for a lease. Depending on what you’re using it for, you might find the 2.7L a bit under powered, but the lariat trim definitely has some nice features. I can’t say enough about the step tail gate too.
Old 02-06-2021, 11:07 AM   #1215
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
So...any update?!
On hold... for the time being.

Ordered the Supercharger, they sent the wrong kit. They sent me the kit for a 2018+. Sent it back, got a refund.

Then a co-worker offered me a crazy deal on his fishing boat, so my Supercharger is now a 2015 Smokercraft Pro-angler 172XL with a 115HP Yamaha outboard. So I put the money towards that for now.

This is what my supercharger looks like for now....

pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2021, 11:25 AM   #1216
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
I went with a 2020 F150 as I didn’t love some of the aesthetic changes and I was scared to purchase a brand new model from Ford, but I also hope to have my truck for 15 years, so these shouldn’t be issues for a lease. Depending on what you’re using it for, you might find the 2.7L a bit under powered, but the lariat trim definitely has some nice features. I can’t say enough about the step tail gate too.
I have a 2019, and I'm in the same boat.... I got such a crazy deal on mine ($22k off sticker) Paid 41k for a $63k truck, I was gonna drive it for 2 years, and export it for damn near what I paid, if not more, rinse and repeat.

Only problem.... I just do not like the 2021. I love the relative simplicity of the design on the 2015-2020. It was a truck... just a basic looking truck. Which a truck should be in my opinion.

I'm keeping my 2019 for the long haul, which I almost never do with vehicles. Until I can get a full electric option with a 700 km towing range at a reasonable cost (sub-$80k) it's my trusty Ruby Red 5.0L Supercrew F150 XLT FX4.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 01:24 PM   #1217
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yah, I’ve told the story here before, but we in no way needed another vehicle, but our old suv was going to need some maintenance and Ford had some decent deals and I was able to factory order exactly what I wanted. Without COVID and WFH I would never be able to wait for a vehicle for 16 weeks, so everything worked out great. Of course, we aren’t expected to be back in the office until Sept, so I will have a very slightly used truck until then.
Old 02-06-2021, 02:21 PM   #1218
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm getting some serious Aston Martin vibes from that Hyundai front end.

Very nice looking car.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
karl262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:41 PM   #1219
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
I don't think you'd have to worry about the 2.7 being underpowered. It has a zero to 60 of 5.9 seconds. That's bonkers for a truck. I have one and I love speed. It's fataing perfect. I also tow with it. My trailer is maybe 4500 pounds, so not too heavy, but at that weight I literally don't even know it's behind me. The truck does not notice. It's such a great engine. Really, you'd only need or want the 3.5 if you were towing something really heavy. For any other use, the 2.7 is ideal.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2021, 07:54 PM   #1220
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I only have test driving experience, so thanks for chiming in! For my purposes, the 5.0L works best, but good to hear your experiences with the 2.7L. I test drove the 2.7L end 3.5L back in 2015 when I was looking, but I ended up picking a two door coupe as I couldn’t fit a truck in my parkade downtown. All of my buddies with the 3.5L rave about it, but I’ve had a few friends have to “upsize” from their 2.7Ls due to buying a bigger trailer.
The Following User Says Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post: