Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2023, 10:07 AM   #12021
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

If you are around school areas please be cautious. One of the volunteers at my daughter's school got hit.

School had to make announcements which should be common sense.

Quote:
Please be extra careful when driving around the school and park in appropriate areas. This has been a dangerous week for students, staff and volunteers.

Hug and Go Reminder - Hug and Go is run entirely by volunteers to ensure the safety of students during periods of traffic congestion. Please be patient, courteous and treat our volunteers with respect. For the safety of our kids and everyone, please respect the following guidelines when using the Hug and Go services:

- Do not U-turn in front of the Hug and Go area right after dropping your child off (or ever in a playground zone).

- Do not drop off your child before or right at the crosswalk and do not block the crosswalk.

- Wait for the volunteer instructions to drive up to the front of the lane when appropriate.

- Wait for the volunteers to open your doors.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 10:13 AM   #12022
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

"- Wait for the volunteers to open your doors".

WTF?
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 10:16 AM   #12023
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah schools at drop-off/pickup time. Worse air quality, and even worse driver habits. On a bike I will actually go out of my way to avoid these areas at those times.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2023, 10:30 AM   #12024
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
"- Wait for the volunteers to open your doors".

WTF?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Ah schools at drop-off/pickup time. Worse air quality, and even worse driver habits. On a bike I will actually go out of my way to avoid these areas at those times.
right, that's the point of the drop-off if used properly, it's like a drive-thru, you stay in your car and a volunteer receives your 7 year old.

The key word is 'wait' which parents don't want to do

Old 12-20-2023, 10:33 AM   #12025
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
right, that's the point of the drop-off if used properly, it's like a drive-thru, you stay in your car and a volunteer receives your 7 year old.

The key word is 'wait' which parents don't want to do

Parents are not waiting for their child to fully exit the vehicle before they take off? That’s harsh, but a good life lesson of, “hurry the f up”.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 10:39 AM   #12026
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
To be clear, I'm complaining about this specifically:

Y U DO DIS?!?!?!

It slows to a crawl after the Glenmore merge because of the unnecessary lane-changing! QUIT IT!
It kind of depends. I know I'm going to move left, so I take the leftmost exit lane. But, if for some reason I ended up in the right hand lane, I guess that's exactly what I'm doing.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 10:44 AM   #12027
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quit doing that, ya struggler! You are causing the problem you're trying to avoid in the first place!
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 10:45 AM   #12028
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Parents are not waiting for their child to fully exit the vehicle before they take off? That’s harsh, but a good life lesson of, “hurry the f up”.
I think it's more they want to exit the line because the wait is too long, so their kid just gets out, then they exit from the middle, between pylons, into traffic, doing u-turns.

Imagine a line 4 cars long and your kid can't get out until you get to the front. Yes, sometimes the kid at the front is slow or people are chatty etc...

Old 12-20-2023, 10:57 AM   #12029
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Having the bins in the back (alley) is so much better. You never have to waste time or effort to put them out. Or remember when do to so. It's never a mess or smells and if the lazy dummies drop it off by a few feet you'd hardly ever notice. Basically would never buy a place if you have to deal with that eyesore in the front.
Disagree. Backing onto an unpaved backlane is awful. Would much rather put my bins out onto a paved front road once a week than having my home back onto what is essentially a muddy trench.
Elkyiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 11:00 AM   #12030
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkyiv View Post
Disagree. Backing onto an unpaved backlane is awful. Would much rather put my bins out onto a paved front road once a week than having my home back onto what is essentially a muddy trench.
lol what? What kind of alley's did you experience in the past.
Old 12-20-2023, 11:01 AM   #12031
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Alley >>> no alley
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2023, 11:04 AM   #12032
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

High side end of the alley >>> low point middle of alley
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2023, 11:15 AM   #12033
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

#### this “fast lane” ####. It’s the passing lane. Use it to pass and get back to the right unless you’re turning soon, which you definitely ain’t at the start of Crowchild.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2023, 11:19 AM   #12034
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Trying to find some stocking stuffers for the wife so I google for some ideas. I really question if people know what a stocking is or what kind of things go in them. Some of the ideas I have seen.

2000 piece puzzle
Diamond ring
Kitchenaid stand mixer
6 pack of their favourite beer\seltzers
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Superflyer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2023, 11:24 AM   #12035
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

A diamond ring in the toe right under one of those awful chocolate oranges sounds like a great idea. The surprise would be better than handing her a box.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2023, 11:29 AM   #12036
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
High side end of the alley >>> low point middle of alley
Ya, I like the alley but there is a telus manhole that assures the melt goes into our garage because the builder built it too low. Telus could easily cut it off a few inches lower but they said they won't. I told the hopefully a burnco truck full of concrete doesn't accidentally pump 10 m3 into the manhole.
When I get a terminal disease I'm gonna do it.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 11:34 AM   #12037
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
It kind of depends. I know I'm going to move left, so I take the leftmost exit lane. But, if for some reason I ended up in the right hand lane, I guess that's exactly what I'm doing.
I always go to the far left as well. But I'm not doing so in a way to cut anyone off. If anything I do so so that I can weave around the strugglers in the two right lanes and blast past them going fricken speed limit and not get stuck doing 10 below.

Quote:
If you are around school areas please be cautious. One of the volunteers at my daughter's school got hit.

I think it's two fold. Some of the roads in front of schools are not designed for high volumes and turn into a chaotic mess when there's pick up. Like, think airport pick up after the cell phone waiting area but worse and no cell phone waiting area.

There's always huge patches of grass in front of schools or underutilized spaces on the far side of the school fields (even though it's "far side", the school technically is in the middle). While I understand that it might be there for right of way etc. If some of those patches of city land were re-designed to create more waiting area options, better placement of crosswalks, perhaps a student pick up parking lot on the far side of the field and traffic circle options at the outer edges to reduce the belief of impatient individuals thinking they need to do U-turns vs a huge detour as an alternative... it might not be as big of a #### show around schools.

But that's a dream. I know that.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 11:37 AM   #12038
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
Trying to find some stocking stuffers for the wife so I google for some ideas. I really question if people know what a stocking is or what kind of things go in them. Some of the ideas I have seen.

2000 piece puzzle
Diamond ring
Kitchenaid stand mixer
6 pack of their favourite beer\seltzers
Is this a stocking or is this Santa's bag left beside the fireplace? I think one of those four things actually fits in a stocking.

I agree with you, everything in there is basically a gift, not a stocking stuffer.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2023, 11:37 AM   #12039
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think it's more they want to exit the line because the wait is too long, so their kid just gets out, then they exit from the middle, between pylons, into traffic, doing u-turns.

Imagine a line 4 cars long and your kid can't get out until you get to the front. Yes, sometimes the kid at the front is slow or people are chatty etc...
You're supposed to wait in the queue before your child gets out? This seems really inefficient. It appears like something that sounded better on paper than in actuality. Having no system in place seems like it would be actually better.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 11:43 AM   #12040
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Please be extra careful when driving around the school and park in appropriate areas. This has been a dangerous week for students, staff and volunteers.

Hug and Go Reminder - Hug and Go is run entirely by volunteers to ensure the safety of students during periods of traffic congestion. Please be patient, courteous and treat our volunteers with respect. For the safety of our kids and everyone, please respect the following guidelines when using the Hug and Go services:

- Do not U-turn in front of the Hug and Go area right after dropping your child off (or ever in a playground zone).

- Do not drop off your child before or right at the crosswalk and do not block the crosswalk.

- Wait for the volunteer instructions to drive up to the front of the lane when appropriate.

- Wait for the volunteers to open your doors.
Is this really a thing? What schools are doing this? Can I get fries with my kid drop off?

I drive an extra block and go around to the back of the school where there's ParkPlus spots (pay only 11-6) that almost no one else uses and stay out of the stupid struggler chaos that is the Hug & Go zone. I'm not doing three left turns, through busy crosswalks with continuous straight through traffic you can't turn against to drop my kid the same distance from the school as the other side.

Then I sit a few minutes to wait for all the traffic to clear out of my route home, entertained watching the morons at the other end of the block swing u-turns onto the sidewalk of the school bus only zone to let little Tommy hop out of their lifted Ram, and mommy in her SUV throw on her flashers in the driving lane while little Sally runs across the road in front of the busses.

Last edited by topfiverecords; 12-20-2023 at 11:47 AM.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post: