Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 12:09 PM   #12021
Lord Carnage
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Maybe we have room to move 2 defenseman then
I personally think both Andersson and Valimaki could step in next year and contribute while not looking out of place, one could argue Andersson already displayed that during stint at the end of this season.

Kinda what I was thinking... generating room on the blue line for youth is also important if we want to keep Fox interested in the Flames and possibly signing at year end?

Maybe Stone/Brodie can be packaged... possibly in a deal for Palmeiri (+?) that someone else mentioned?
Old 05-10-2018, 12:34 PM   #12022
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnage View Post
Kinda what I was thinking... generating room on the blue line for youth is also important if we want to keep Fox interested in the Flames and possibly signing at year end?

Maybe Stone/Brodie can be packaged... possibly in a deal for Palmeiri (+?) that someone else mentioned?
That would be hard to turn down by teams who need blue line help. Here: two top 4 defensemen, 1 shutdown and 1 offensive.

If they believe Valimaki is ready this could be quite the move.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:38 PM   #12023
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I highly doubt the Flames move two dman this summer and play a totally rookie 3rd pairing. That’s not Treliving’s style. Think about what the defense would look like with an injury or two in the top 4, very scary. I think at most 1 goes

We wanna have depth to contend. Whoever out of Kylington, Andersson and Valimaki that doesn’t make the team will still almost inevitably see time due to injury. I mean you have contending depth on defense when injuries hit and near NHL or NHL ready guys are your callups. That’s not a bad thing like some posters try to make it out to be, that’s a good thing. We don’t want to be in a position where an injury or two has guys like Kylington/Andersson in the top 4 and our bottom pairing is no name callups, that would probably be disastrous.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2018, 01:24 PM   #12024
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I keep thinking that if Adam Larsson can land you Taylor Hall then Hamilton or Brodie should fetch some pretty significant pieces. Then again, Chiarelli was involved in that trade so options become limited.

Seriously though, it does feel like Treliving will move one of Hamilton, Brodie or Stone. Perhaps 2 of those 3.

Talk of Marner for Hamilton on 960 this am is an interesting trade.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:27 PM   #12025
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
I keep thinking that if Adam Larsson can land you Taylor Hall then Hamilton or Brodie should fetch some pretty significant pieces. Then again, Chiarelli was involved in that trade so options become limited.

Seriously though, it does feel like Treliving will move one of Hamilton, Brodie or Stone. Perhaps 2 of those 3.

Talk of Marner for Hamilton on 960 this am is an interesting trade.
I just don’t see Marner being made available for anything. That would be like Gaudreau being moved for D help (if the Flames needed it). He’s drives that teams offense.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:37 PM   #12026
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

I could see Marner for Hamilton being interesting for the Leafs. To many people undervalue that Hamilton has 3 years at 5.75 and Marner is 1 year away from 7+, maybe even 8+. The Leafs would be filling a huge hole with Hamilton and fixing potential cap issues they would have next summer. IMO this would be a great move for them. They have tons of cap space this year so the bonus that Marner makes nothing now isn't as important as what he will make next year.

Hamilton's contract expires after Marleau's does which would be great for the Leaf's

They also could make a huge run at Tavares if they took cap pressure off from next summer and differ it to 3 years from now
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Macho0978 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2018, 01:46 PM   #12027
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
I could see Marner for Hamilton being interesting for the Leafs. To many people undervalue that Hamilton has 3 years at 5.75 and Marner is 1 year away from 7+, maybe even 8+. The Leafs would be filling a huge hole with Hamilton and fixing potential cap issues they would have next summer. IMO this would be a great move for them. They have tons of cap space this year so the bonus that Marner makes nothing now isn't as important as what he will make next year.

Hamilton's contract expires after Marleau's does which would be great for the Leaf's

They also could make a huge run at Tavares if they took cap pressure off from next summer and differ it to 3 years from now
There is no guarantee Marner gets more than 7 nevermind 8. Forsberg, Gaudreau, Heaburdeau, Tarasenko, Kucherov, etc. Are his closest comparables coming out of their elcs. Only Tank got 7.5M and he signed a full 8 years and was considered a top goal scorer in the NHL. If Marner gets 8 he is over paid by a good margin. Even at 7M you better e getting 8 years.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:49 PM   #12028
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

Well... I’ve absolutely hated the idea of trading Hamilton. But the thought of Gaudreau-Monahan & Tkachuk-Marner for the next 6-7 years sounds pretty amazing.

You make some good points on the valuation. I’m going to stop posting in this thread for a while now.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:53 PM   #12029
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
There is no guarantee Marner gets more than 7 nevermind 8. Forsberg, Gaudreau, Heaburdeau, Tarasenko, Kucherov, etc. Are his closest comparables coming out of their elcs. Only Tank got 7.5M and he signed a full 8 years and was considered a top goal scorer in the NHL. If Marner gets 8 he is over paid by a good margin. Even at 7M you better e getting 8 years.
Sorry but your comparables are a bit outdated. Only way Marner gets less than 7 is if he resigns this summer. He might do it too but the cap could hit $80mil most the guys you mention signed when the cap was about $10 mil less

Ry Jo - $8
Drasaitl - $8,5
Kuznetsov - $7.8

To me these are the new comparibles. Ry Jo and Kuznetsov were closer to UFA but all got close to 8 or over 8. Marner is going to get 7 unless it's a bridge and I doubt he goes for that.

If he waits until he hits RFA status the cap could be $82-$84. That will get him 7 for sure

It's like saying Mcdavid won't get $12.5 because Sid and AO got $9.5 and $8.7 their 2nd contracts. Each year there is a bit of inflation
The Following User Says Thank You to Macho0978 For This Useful Post:
bax
Old 05-10-2018, 01:53 PM   #12030
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:

Depends entirely on what Matthews gets IMO.

Its the same scenario as the whole McDavid/Draisaitl thing. Marner will see what AM gets and demand his share accordingly. If Matthews gets 10/11M a year, I have no doubt Marner signs for 8.5 at least.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:58 PM   #12031
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Marner is one of a few wingers I would be happy to see Hamilton traded for. He has Gaudreau level abilities.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:02 PM   #12032
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Depends entirely on what Matthews gets IMO.

Its the same scenario as the whole McDavid/Draisaitl thing. Marner will see what AM gets and demand his share accordingly. If Matthews gets 10/11M a year, I have no doubt Marner signs for 8.5 at least.
I agree. I was one that posted on here that Chia was dumb to sign McDavid first and Dra second as it will be a tough sell for him to give McDavid at first 13.25 and then tell Dra's agent he is worth 7. Especially when Dra outscored McDavid in the playoffs. Hey we think he is twice as good as you

Same goes for the Leafs. Mathews more than likely gets 10+. So Marner gets 6? That would be a slap in the face to Marner
Old 05-10-2018, 02:03 PM   #12033
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Also Pastrnak (although he got a hefty bonus).

I just don't see Toronto being willing to trade Marner, even though it makes sense for a bunch of reasons.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2018, 02:08 PM   #12034
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
The last part kind of stings. The Flames paid a 3rd and 5th for him because he resigned so it feels like bad asset management to trade him for less. .
If the Flames swapped him for a third that means they basically got 2 years of service from him for a fifth + salary.
not bad at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2018, 02:08 PM   #12035
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry but your comparables are a bit outdated. Only way Marner gets less than 7 is if he resigns this summer. He might do it too but the cap could hit $80mil most the guys you mention signed when the cap was about $10 mil less

Ry Jo - $8
Drasaitl - $8,5
Kuznetsov - $7.8

To me these are the new comparibles. Ry Jo and Kuznetsov were closer to UFA but all got close to 8 or over 8. Marner is going to get 7 unless it's a bridge and I doubt he goes for that.

If he waits until he hits RFA status the cap could be $82-$84. That will get him 7 for sure

It's like saying Mcdavid won't get $12.5 because Sid and AO got $9.5 and $8.7 their 2nd contracts. Each year there is a bit of inflation
You are comparing Marner a winger to Centres. Drai was signed to be a centre. Centres are worth more than wingers typically. I do agree with what people are saying tho his salary will depend a lot on if they sign Matthews first and at which price tag.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:15 PM   #12036
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
If the Flames swapped him for a third that means they basically got 2 years of service from him for a fifth + salary.
not bad at all.
Yeah, you’re right. A 5th round pick is almost nothing and I think we need some more ammunition for the draft.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:26 PM   #12037
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You are comparing Marner a winger to Centres. Drai was signed to be a centre. Centres are worth more than wingers typically. I do agree with what people are saying tho his salary will depend a lot on if they sign Matthews first and at which price tag.
True they are centers but they all signed when the cap was $73 mil

Cap this summer could be $80

When Marner becomes a RFA it could be $82-84. That is a 15% increase.

If Marner signed after a season like this season but under the same cap I would say $6.5 mil would be fair compared to what they got.

$6.5 x 1.15 = $7.47 mil assuming he signs next summer. Maybe this summer he would except 7 if the cap went to $78

This also doesn't factor in what if he has a better year next year? He had a horrible start and ended up with 69 points. He also had a good playoffs. Does that again it's possible he gets 8+
Old 05-10-2018, 02:41 PM   #12038
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've been checking in on what people are saying about dougie on twitter and if you believe leaf fans, dougie for either marner or nylander would be a huge over pay on their side. They seem to think that kapanen or brown packaged with this year's 1st or liljegren should be enough. As if we don't already have enough prospects in that position (including juuso who we rate above liljegren). Hamilton is just another Gardiner to them. It is twitter though and I'm sure the ridiculousness has been reciprocated by flames fans on there. They also seem to think we're so desperate for cap space that we'd give dougie away to anyone willing to take on Brouwer.

It would take massive cahones from dubas/BT to pull the trigger on a deal like dougie for marner.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:44 PM   #12039
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Dougies reputation around the league from opposing fans is he is a guy who can score goals but is a liability defensively. Which is why most fan bases seem to make these low ball offers for him.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahan For Mayor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2018, 03:01 PM   #12040
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Marner is one of a few wingers I would be happy to see Hamilton traded for. He has Gaudreau level abilities.
Snagging Dvorak would be fun to get the whole Tkachuk - Dvorak - Marner gang together again. Then again, pretty sure AZ has played Dvorak as a winger so it wouldn’t make much sense for us.

Having Marner on the second line with Tkachuk would be nice though.
Closed Thread