Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 04:55 PM   #11981
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames are going to pillage the Hurricanes roster I'd like Elias Lindholm. Maybe J.Staal as he can provide some solid center play.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:55 PM   #11982
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I think for the benefit of clarity and not just tossing stuff out there unsubstantiated, it may be a good idea to link some proof of what you're saying.

You're making some serious comments Willy nilly and if I am not mistaken that's frowned upon. Fine to say them but provide some proof.
I would like Skinner on this team if the price was right. He is a scoring winger something the Flames need multiples of. Concussion history does make me a little leary but I would chance it.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:56 PM   #11983
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know. I don't see Staal getting a raise. He's good but he was overpaid in the first place.
I think dammage was referring to skinner but I think your point still applies. I don't think his numbers justify jumping up to 6 and above. I could see him sticking around 5.75 though. No idea what he'd cost in terms of trade though.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:00 PM   #11984
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Re: Kane not wanting to play in California because it's where the metoo movement is the biggest - A hockey player on the Sharks in Northern California doesn't register as a celebrity in Hollywood.

Playing in San Jose isn't hurting his allegation spotlight.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:02 PM   #11985
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
What? We've had threads on this. It's extremely common knowledge, especially in a hockey forum. If I said it about Weinstein would the same requirement be required?

Anyways, in a tenth of the time it took you to write that, you could have easily found these:

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...nt-at-bar.html

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...t-allegations/

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...dent-1.3703114
Yup, and it's your responsibility as a poster to back this stuff up true or not. So if you want to bring up this crap in a completely unrelated thread about trades, post links.

Take some responsibility.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:13 PM   #11986
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yup, and it's your responsibility as a poster to back this stuff up true or not. So if you want to bring up this crap in a completely unrelated thread about trades, post links.

Take some responsibility.
I don't think it's irrelevant. And no one would expect sources for Weinstein. It's pretty common knowledge about Kane, if you're unsure it's super easy to google it, but at this point there's no reason to cite sources.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:15 PM   #11987
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Using shots against isn’t really a great measure of defensive acumen when looking at Hartley’s Flames. I would like to see shot attempts against.

Those teams routinely chased games and on average held the puck less then their opponent because their defensive zone system was basically “collapse in front of the net while the other team controls the puck and try to block shots like Lance Bouma and Kris Russell”.

This isn’t necessarily a bad thing because I agree that Hartley didn’t have the best teams on paper. This was a system that was designed for an average group of players so I can understand the logic.

Ideally, a good team will have the puck a lot more and won’t have to play like that. As Kent Wilson said “blocking shots is like killing rats. Doing it is preferable to not, but if you’re doing it all the time it suggests you have bigger problems”.
I agree that ideally, a good team would want the puck more. However, is that really true? Bear with me here.

Let's take a look at another sport, and an elite team at that sport. Real Madrid. Watch them play, and they often don't possess the ball as often as the other team (well, when they play against other good teams anyway). Why is that? it is that their whole system is a counter-attack style where they just try and get in the way of shots. Sounds familiar, right?

Now, people may snicker and say: "That's soccer and it doesn't have a single thing to do with hockey, so who cares?"

Well, our own experience watching this team over the last two coaches sure has opened my eyes. I think sometimes people are too fixated on stats to see the forest for the trees - I myself was guilty of this as well.

For instance, correlation keeps dropping in this hierarchy:

1) Score more goals than you allow, and you will win every game.
2) Get more high quality chances - especially cross crease and breakaways - than you give up, and you are more likely to win a game.
3) Get more shots than you allow and you are more likely to win a game.
4) Suppress more shots than the other team and you are more likely to win a game.

These are all true, but the confidence intervals probably goes down with every step you take.

Were Hartley's Flames defensive juggernauts? No. I won't make that claim. My claim is that they were not much worse defensively within the construct of their counter-attack system than in Gulutzan's possession-oriented system. What Gulutzan made up in suppressing shots he wasted by not getting enough quality shots for. How do you measure it? Closest thing I have seen is the Royal Road that Deluxe Moustache started a thread about.

Hartley maximized - absolutely maximized - the offensive capabilities of the rosters he had. I don't think you will get much of an argument from anyone here - those were some fairly uninspiring teams on paper for the most part. Could Hartley have been better at shot suppression? Yes, but at what cost?

I think the cost that Gulutzan paid ended up being too pricey, especially given a more talented roster. I believe he was too focused on CORSI and playing FOR CORSI. I see it happening with other teams.

We just have to remember the Dallas Eakins led Oilers. They admittedly played FOR CORSI - in their vain attempt to put lipstick on that greasy pig of team. I think they did worse while they switched to it.

CORSI (and other advanced metrics) should be a product, not a goal. The goal is always to allow less goals than you score. This seems like a 'duh' moment here, but I really do think that Gulutzan's system was keeping the advanced metrics TOO much in mind rather than looking at the roster and seeing how he could maximize both ends of the spectrum - goal scoring and goal prevention. It isn't as simple as I am stating it of course, but that is where I am looking at the advanced metrics often and disagreeing with some of the assumptions being made by everyone.

It isn't an assumption being made by the soccer teams that actually do a heck of a better job at tracking possession than hockey, so why is it some law that more possession = more wins? Possession doesn't necessarily equate to more goals for and less goals against - those are fairly loose correlations.

That is why I am 100% fine with the same exact team coming back with the added caveat that Peters doesn't follow suit and try to maximize the advanced metrics. As long as he realizes that the defence is capable of generating offence, that this team can transition quickly, and that they need to do more than just 'get pucks on net', then this team I feel will look and feel vastly different than the last 5 seasons.

I think as the seasons go on, you will see more of a 'mixed bag' of poor teams having strong underlying metrics, and great teams having poor underlying metrics (thereby the loose correlation), and it will become a bit more murky as teams try to adopt a system that supports these metrics over the personnel that the team has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Oh I understood Hartleys sytem just fine thanks.

Its why he is the head coach of Latvia right now.
Obviously you don't, as his personality has him coaching in Latvia right now, while his Jack Adams trophy sitting on his mantle shows what he actually accomplished with his system. You're welcome.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2018, 05:24 PM   #11988
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
his Jack Adams trophy sitting on his mantle shows
… that he was one year away from being fired, as a lot of Jack Adams winners have been over the years.

Patrick Roy won the Jack Adams Award the year before Hartley. I guess he's got a great system too, which is why he's now coaching… uh… where?

The year before that, it was Paul MacLean.

The quality of Adams winners is a mixed bag. That's about what you would expect, considering that the award is handed out by the broadcasters, most of whom know slightly more about coaching than an earwig knows about quantum chromodynamics. Sometimes they vote for a good coach, sometimes they vote for the coach of a team that overachieved for one year before subsiding back into mediocrity. Using that to measure the merit of a coach is a mug's game.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:43 PM   #11989
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know. I don't see Staal getting a raise. He's good but he was overpaid in the first place.
I was talking about Skinner. He only has a year left.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:49 PM   #11990
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I was talking about Skinner. He only has a year left.
Ah, gotcha.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:51 PM   #11991
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd take Staal, if the Canes ate some of the caphit and/or the 2nd overall was involved.

Skinner is unlikely as Peters didn't seem to be a big fan on him, or at least that's what Canes fans surmised based on Peters' usage of Skinner.

Unlikely that the Canes would trade one of their young left shot defensemen, but getting a Slavin or Pesce would be a real coup. Would probably need to involve Hamilton though. Probably a Hamilton for Pesce and Staal type deal where the Flames are "helping" the Canes out by taking Staal's caphit.

Monahan, Staal, Backlund, Jankowski is a Nashville PRedators type centre ice depth. No huge starts but solid 1 through 4.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:14 AM   #11992
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I'd take Staal, if the Canes ate some of the caphit and/or the 2nd overall was involved.

Skinner is unlikely as Peters didn't seem to be a big fan on him, or at least that's what Canes fans surmised based on Peters' usage of Skinner.

Unlikely that the Canes would trade one of their young left shot defensemen, but getting a Slavin or Pesce would be a real coup. Would probably need to involve Hamilton though. Probably a Hamilton for Pesce and Staal type deal where the Flames are "helping" the Canes out by taking Staal's caphit.

Monahan, Staal, Backlund, Jankowski is a Nashville PRedators type centre ice depth. No huge starts but solid 1 through 4.
Nevermind. Misread.

But Stall and the 2nd overall pick could get the Canes a whole lot.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:00 AM   #11993
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
What sort of draft pick(s) for Stone? His 3.5 for 2 more years is a UFA overpayment and his value did not go up since he signed. I would guess that if the Flames want more than a 4th for him they would retain salary.

What sort of top-6 forward for Brodie.? ... Pearrault , Louis Eriksson, Richard Panik, Charlie Coyle, Donskoi? I don't see him bringing in someone who is important in other teams future plans.
Detractors on Stone always go over board.

The guy is big, relatively young, can move up the roster in a pinch and has a heavy shot. Good team guy, and is maybe over paid by 1.0M and only has two years left.

This isn't a stiff.

He isn't a play driver but he's a very good bottom pairing option for teams.

That said I wasn't suggesting a 2nd round pick. Could see a third perhaps.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:13 AM   #11994
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Detractors on Stone always go over board.

The guy is big, relatively young, can move up the roster in a pinch and has a heavy shot. Good team guy, and is maybe over paid by 1.0M and only has two years left.

This isn't a stiff.

He isn't a play driver but he's a very good bottom pairing option for teams.

That said I wasn't suggesting a 2nd round pick. Could see a third perhaps.
I still believe that Stone could return a player. He steps right in to the top-four on a lot of teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 05-10-2018, 08:15 AM   #11995
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO the disdain for Stone mirrors Engelland. A competent if unspectacular bottom pairing guy that could step up into a 2nd pairing role if needed. A lot of fans simply don't have a lot of respect for this type of player as how many times did we hear how that Engelland was junk yet here he is today playing 23 minutes a game for a team that's in the Conference finals.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2018, 08:17 AM   #11996
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'd still really like to see stone dropping bombs on the second PP unit. The first unit could be skillful and move the puck around, the second could get hard shots on net and in the goalies face.

Then again, I know nothing.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:29 AM   #11997
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post

Obviously you don't, as his personality has him coaching in Latvia right now, while his Jack Adams trophy sitting on his mantle shows what he actually accomplished with his system. You're welcome.

Right.

Maybe we should get Feaster back to bring in "the best coach outside the NHL" again to?

Hartley coached here 4 years. He made the post season once. Obviously some different circumstances, but his "system" was simply not good enough to stay coaching in the NHL, or he would be. Let's not pretend the one playoff year was anything but catching lightning in a bottle and a completely insane ability to fall behind in games only to tie/win them late.

I didn't even dislike him as a coach cause the team was fun to watch, but without question his system was unsustainable for long term success, and the evidence of that is blatantly obvious.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:30 AM   #11998
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
IMO the disdain for Stone mirrors Engelland. A competent if unspectacular bottom pairing guy that could step up into a 2nd pairing role if needed. A lot of fans simply don't have a lot of respect for this type of player as how many times did we hear how that Engelland was junk yet here he is today playing 23 minutes a game for a team that's in the Conference finals.
Yup.

he is an ingredient the club missed this past season in a big way too.

Stone is fine in his role, though I would take DE over him every day of the week.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:34 AM   #11999
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Yup.

he is an ingredient the club missed this past season in a big way too.

Stone is fine in his role, though I would take DE over him every day of the week.
Engelland is 36-years-old, and Stone will be 28 starting next season. I was a big fan of what he brought to this team while he was here, but there is no way I would do a one-for-one swap between him and Stone at this stage in their careers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 05-10-2018 at 08:37 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2018, 08:37 AM   #12000
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Engelland is 36-years-old, and Stone will be 28 starting next season. I was a big fan of what he brought to this team while he was here, but there is no way I would do a one-for-one swap between him and Stone at this stage in their careers.
Yeah the age comparison doesn't work in his favor but there's no doubt the team missed the toughness he brought to the team. Even his leadership was very underrated. It will be interesting to see how long he can play as at 36 he arguably looks better than he ever has in his career.
Closed Thread