Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2023, 11:48 PM   #1181
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I think it's an issue that people are fine looking at these people, and just let them fade into the background of their busy day and move along.

We're looking at people living in utter misery, many on a march toward an early death. It's awful, and it should be upsetting to look at if you have any empathy. Acceptance of the situation is the last thing I hope we achieve.
That would be an agreeable take, but I don’t see a lot of recent posts that reflect that view, rather it’s more along the lines of, “eww! gross! I don’t want to see that! How can you feel safe with them around? We should just throw them in jail if they don’t want to be forced to confront whatever past trauma or mistakes put them in this situation”.

I know there have been a few well-reasoned posts, but a lot of the personal anecdotes are just: awkward encounter, saw or heard or smelled something weird, Calgary is dying and I can’t go outside and your insane if you’re not as fearful as me!
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2023, 11:53 PM   #1182
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

But in all this mess we got a wonderful Mbates post. He is bar none the best poster this site has ever seen. Just incredible insight.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2023, 11:59 PM   #1183
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
But in all this mess we got a wonderful Mbates post. He is bar none the best poster this site has ever seen. Just incredible insight.
He’s no Crazy Bacon Legs but I guess he’s alright.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2023, 01:27 AM   #1184
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
He’s no Crazy Bacon Legs but I guess he’s alright.
Would you say he is....a Monster??

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 09:08 AM   #1185
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's great insight but I'm still not sure how it will fix hollowing out of downtown cores, especially in the short-term. If the solution is that we need to invest a lot more money in our justice system so that there's more capacity and less burn out, and with solutions that work like drug treatment courts, then so be it. I'm far more supportive of that type of solution than it is to continue destroying our downtowns across the country with whatever half-baked solution we continue to use.

Inner city desirability is something that we need to prioritize if we want sustainable development going into the future, rather than everyone with any sort of means just fleeing for the suburbs at first opportunity.

The current situation is not tenable in the long term.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 10:18 AM   #1186
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
It's great insight but I'm still not sure how it will fix hollowing out of downtown cores, especially in the short-term. If the solution is that we need to invest a lot more money in our justice system so that there's more capacity and less burn out, and with solutions that work like drug treatment courts, then so be it. I'm far more supportive of that type of solution than it is to continue destroying our downtowns across the country with whatever half-baked solution we continue to use.

Inner city desirability is something that we need to prioritize if we want sustainable development going into the future, rather than everyone with any sort of means just fleeing for the suburbs at first opportunity.

The current situation is not tenable in the long term.
I think we need to look upstream as well. What are the factors that are causing so many people to fall into addiction and homelessness? How can we prevent it? Housing affordability, mental support systems, good school systems, disability and social security mechanisms etc, etc.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 11:45 AM   #1187
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's just time to start utilizing Australia for its intended purpose again. Let the spiders handle them.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 01:25 PM   #1188
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
It's just time to start utilizing Australia for its intended purpose again. Let the spiders handle them.
Ugh...but then you have to deal with Australians who are more likely to just train them to be 10x better drug addicts and then return them.

I propose...: "The Baffin Island Drug Rehabilitation Centre and Polar Bear Preserve."

Nothing will clean your system like dodging Polar Bears....or massive blood loss.

And the bears get to eat!

Its win/win/win!! And they're not here anymore....another win! Wins all around!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-13-2023, 02:01 PM   #1189
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Ugh...but then you have to deal with Australians who are more likely to just train them to be 10x better drug addicts and then return them.

I propose...: "The Baffin Island Drug Rehabilitation Centre and Polar Bear Preserve."

Nothing will clean your system like dodging Polar Bears....or massive blood loss.

I say just put them on an island off of Vancouver Island. Nice mild climate with ideal land for setting up encampments. The government/military can air drop supply boxes periodically so that they have food, various necessities and a clean supply of drugs. They can set up their own form of government and regulations.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 02:07 PM   #1190
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I say just put them on an island off of Vancouver Island. Nice mild climate with ideal land for setting up encampments. The government/military can air drop supply boxes periodically so that they have food, various necessities and a clean supply of drugs. They can set up their own form of government and regulations.
So....'Escape from LA.'

You literally just described the entire premise of 'Escape from LA.'

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2023, 02:09 PM   #1191
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Do you really want to have to administer Naloxone to this beast?

PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 02:23 PM   #1192
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Do you really want to have to administer Naloxone to this beast?

Thats the beauty of it all....you just airdrop the junkies onto Baffin Island and out of sight, out of mind...this problem will take care of itself.

Old 08-13-2023, 02:31 PM   #1193
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://vancouversun.com/news/crime/...-year-sentence

A 42-year-old Vancouver man has received a four-year prison sentence after admitting to selling fentanyl and methamphetamine to people in the Downtown Eastside.

Hubick was on probation for property crime at the time of his arrest and was found with $50,000 worth of fentanyl, $16,000 worth of meth, $10,000 in cash and several cellphones. A knife was found in his vehicle.

In his defence, Hubick said that he had lost his job during the COVID-19 pandemic and resorted to dealing drugs to make ends meet.

The judge said that while accepting Hubick’s statement of defence and request the he be granted a conditional sentence not involving incarceration, the impact of fentanyl on B.C.’s opioid drug crisis could not be ignored and “amounted to conduct that demonstrates a reckless disregard for human life.”

“The accused was involved in the trafficking of fentanyl and methamphetamine in the DTES as a mid-range dealer for at least three months, and I infer likely longer. His cellular phone number was attached to some of the packaged drugs, ready to go. At the time of the VPD Project Bankroll investigation, he was not supporting a personal drug addiction. His drug trafficking operation was profit driven.”

If Hubick behaves well in prison, he will be eligible for release in November 2024.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 02:35 PM   #1194
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Gross. Now that’s a guy that needs a longer prison sentence then that.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 02:39 PM   #1195
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Gross. Now that’s a guy that needs a longer prison sentence then that.
You know who could take care of that....?

Quote:

Old 08-13-2023, 02:58 PM   #1196
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wonder if the CP 1%r’s would be will willing to donate some of their spare Canada Goose jackets to the Baffin Island crackhead cause?
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 03:04 PM   #1197
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendone View Post
Wonder if the CP 1%r’s would be will willing to donate some of their spare Canada Goose jackets to the Baffin Island crackhead cause?
That would be counter-productive tho....

In ancient times when a member of society (I'll be honest, usually babies) were unwanted the Greeks would leave them out in the wilderness. Usually either shackled, tied to a tree or with bolts through their ankles.

And if they died...that was the will of the Gods.

"We didnt kill them....the Gods just didnt save them!"

Its the same sort of thing, you just replace 'Gods' with Polar Bears.

Polar Bears are starving, we're just bringing nature back into balance. Kind of. I have no idea what would happen if a Polar Bear ate a guy loaded on Tranq.

Anyhow, I feel I have de-railed an otherwise important and informational thread with enough Polar Bear talk. Just remember this when I'm finally in control of this Country....

Old 08-13-2023, 03:16 PM   #1198
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That would be counter-productive tho....

In ancient times when a member of society (I'll be honest, usually babies) were unwanted the Greeks would leave them out in the wilderness. Usually either shackled, tied to a tree or with bolts through their ankles.

And if they died...that was the will of the Gods.

"We didnt kill them....the Gods just didnt save them!"

Its the same sort of thing, you just replace 'Gods' with Polar Bears.

Polar Bears are starving, we're just bringing nature back into balance. Kind of. I have no idea what would happen if a Polar Bear ate a guy loaded on Tranq.

Anyhow, I feel I have de-railed an otherwise important and informational thread with enough Polar Bear talk. Just remember this when I'm finally in control of this Country....
There is that Cocaine Bear movie that might shed some light on what could happen to the bears.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 03:53 PM   #1199
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thats the beauty of it all....you just airdrop the junkies onto Baffin Island and out of sight, out of mind...this problem will take care of itself.
But we need a supply of bears to deal with the junkies. We can't have Polar Bears ODing on fentanyl junkies.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 03:56 PM   #1200
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But we need a supply of bears to deal with the junkies. We can't have Polar Bears ODing on fentanyl junkies.
Cant we? Says who?

I have seen no scientific evidence that tells us that Polar Bears eating Fentanyl junkies is a significant problem.

And we'd need a reasonable sample size.

Now....where are we going to find some junkies....and how do they feel about parachuting into Baffin Island....oh right, we dont care how they feel.