Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2010, 02:41 PM   #101
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

If you are planning on buying this game i traded in the most recent cod at future shop when i picked this up and they gave me a $30 credit!

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:54 PM   #102
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsy View Post
sorry if its been covered but is there a third person view available in the single player campaign?
Thanks goodness, no. We have enough 3rd person games (practically everything) on the market. Many people can't play 1st person and I understand that but I am the complete opposite. 3rd person makes me physically nauseous in almost ever game with the combination of arbitrary and awkwardly locked camera, guy blocking your view as a lame reference point for your eyes to focus on, and a terrible field of view.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:19 PM   #103
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
Didn't the stealth bomber come out in the early to mid 80's? Well when I say come out I mean to the general public knowledge
The first "public" combat use of stealth bombers was in 1989. Even then, they were not built until the early 80s.

You're a gun guy from your previous threads, here's a short list of gun things that are wrong.

Quote:
M16 - The M16 was not available until 1963. In BO it appears in 1961. This weapon entered service in 1963 and didn't fully replace the M14 until 1969. Additionally the Colt Commando and A3 upper versions appear in this game in 1961 on up. The Colt Commando is a later term adopted somewhat retroactively for the Colt CAR-15 family which was introduced into military service as early as 1968. However flat top uppers appeared much, much later. Also, the variant which should be in the game would be the M16 / M16A1. This variant was fully automatic. It did not offer a three round burst mode. This wasn't introduced until the M16A2 variant showed up in the 80's.

M14 - Appears very little in this game. It should be quite prevalent in missions ranging from 1961 to 1968 and even into 1969 when it was phased out for all but limited use. (Still in use today as the M21 and M25 Sniper Weapons Systems.)

CZ-75 - Introduced in 1975. It appears as early as 1968 in this game.

FN FAL - Carried by Russians in the game. This makes no sense.

MP5K - Not introduced until 1975. Additionally red dot / reflex sights are mounted via picatinny style rails using a claw mount or welded to the receiver. This could not have been done until sometime after 2000.

AK-74 - The AK-74 is an update of the AK-47 which was introduced in 1974. It is essentially the same but is chambered in the 5.45x39mm cartridge instead of the older and larger 7.62x39mm cartridge. Yet AK-74U's appear quite often in the game. These should not be in the game at all. At least not in single player.

Makarov Pistol - This weapon's historical placement in the game is accurate. However what is not accurate is the fact that the game lists it as being more powerful than the .45ACP based 1911. This is total and complete bull. The 9x18mm Makarov round is actually weaker than the 9x19mm Parabellum / Luger / NATO round used in the M9. It's not remotely as powerful as the 1911 is. How the hell the developers missed that, or why they chose to do that is beyond me.

Colt Python - .38 Caliber revolvers were issued to U.S. Troops over the years for certain jobs. I know the Military Police carried them for some time. I believe they used a different model though. The Colt Python was an expensive .357 Magnum revolver. Could it have been seen in Vietnam? Possibly. One thing is for sure, they need a speed loader in the game. While powerful, it's a bitch to reload as you reload one round at a time.

M203 Grenade Launcher - This shouldn't appear at all in the game until 1969. That's when it was introduced to the military. It was designed to replace the M79 Thumper which had to be carried separately. It was typically carried in place of the rifle but wasn't useful if someone carrying it ran into trouble. Buckshot rounds were designed for it to help with this issue but it was still a single shot break over weapon and reloads weren't terribly quick. In close quarters this weapon could get you killed. The M203 in contrast was designed to be mounted to the M16 rifle and still gave the soldier the ability to fight close quarters with his rifle if needed.

Masterkey - The Knight's Armament Masterkey system was designed in the 1980's. It was recently updated to use Picatinny rail mounts. I've heard stories of shotguns being attached to M16's through various means, but I've never actually seen any proof this was done. In any case the term "Masterkey" wouldn't have been coined for the under barrel mounted shotgun until the 1980's. Certainly not in Vietnam.

SPAS-12 - The SPAS-12 was introduced in 1979. It appears in this game around 1968. So basically it's 11 years early. Though I'll give Treyarch credit. The SPAS-12 in this game is finally semi-automatic rather than pump only.
This is not even mentioning things like reflex sights (which use either LEDs or lasers in their optics) cannot possibly exist in the 1960s as well as digital readouts and rangefinders on analog binoculars and even a shoulder mounted missile launcher with video guided missile (color screen no less). It should have been a RedEye missile which works only with IR and is fire and forget. Even Stinger missiles (not available until the 80s) don't have that technology.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-11-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:25 PM   #104
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
So far I'm not overly impressed with this one.
Apparently you're not the only one!

http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/Ki...385/story.html
Old 11-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #105
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Bandwagoner View Post
Apparently you're not the only one!

http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/Ki...385/story.html
600 attempts ... I mean cmon , really if the US or anyone wanted him dead that bad ... I think 600 attempts would be more than ample enough to take the guy out .
Old 11-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #106
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
600 attempts ... I mean cmon , really if the US or anyone wanted him dead that bad ... I think 600 attempts would be more than ample enough to take the guy out .
Like a mysterious missile launch in south Florida...
Old 11-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #107
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
Like a mysterious missile launch in south Florida...

also back to gameplay ... I noticed there are no tanks to drive or anything like that.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #108
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

SECRET MINIGAME!

Tap your spacebar until you break the straps holding your guy in the interrogation room chair. Then goto the computer and type in "DOA"
Old 11-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #109
bugsy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Thanks goodness, no. We have enough 3rd person games (practically everything) on the market. Many people can't play 1st person and I understand that but I am the complete opposite. 3rd person makes me physically nauseous in almost ever game with the combination of arbitrary and awkwardly locked camera, guy blocking your view as a lame reference point for your eyes to focus on, and a terrible field of view.
Yeah fair enough. havent heard of the physically nauseous 3rd person reaction to be honest. Are there any 3rd person games that you DO think work well?

Makes sense for the developers to stick to 1st, its a traditional shooter i guess afterall. I'm not a big shooter guy and the 3rd person option would appeal to me, but can see why they wouldn't want to tag it on as an afterthought.

Still, enjoyed MW2. Might rent this one.
bugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:42 PM   #110
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL at bitching about historical inaccuracies in a Call of Duty game.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2010, 08:13 PM   #111
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post

also back to gameplay ... I noticed there are no tanks to drive or anything like that.

I never heard of Navy seals, or Rangers using normal conventional war with tanks on the battle field.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:15 PM   #112
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
LOL at bitching about historical inaccuracies in a Call of Duty game.
Hey, the first games in the series tried to be pretty historically based or were even takes on real historical events (like the story of Pavlov's house http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavlov's_House).

Still, a reflex sight on an MP5K in a game that says it's taking place in 1963 bugs me. It might as well be a game set in 1913 where your guy is using a tazer.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-12-2010 at 03:28 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:22 PM   #113
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsy View Post
Yeah fair enough. havent heard of the physically nauseous 3rd person reaction to be honest. Are there any 3rd person games that you DO think work well?

Makes sense for the developers to stick to 1st, its a traditional shooter i guess afterall. I'm not a big shooter guy and the 3rd person option would appeal to me, but can see why they wouldn't want to tag it on as an afterthought.

Still, enjoyed MW2. Might rent this one.
I can't say I've found one yet. I played a lot of Mafia 2 and had to eventually hack the camera to first person. I played Dead Rising 2 a lot which was enjoyable but I had to take a break every 5 minutes as I started to get a headache.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:21 AM   #114
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

More details on the easter egg, plus ZORK!

Old 11-12-2010, 03:52 AM   #115
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Various UNIX-like commands are available for navigating the system.

Besides the amason (Alex Mason) account, it is possible to view a list of other users of the system by typing WHO at the command line prompt.

It is also possible to log in to the system using these other names, but each is password protected. However, the passwords are not too difficult to deduce. Once logged in as a particular user, you can view a directory of their files (type DIR to display) and their mail account (type MAIL to access).

Type LOGIN to enter a username, then enter the password for that user.

* amason - The user account of Alex Mason, already logged in when you first use the terminal. Password is PASSWORD.
* wraborn - The user account of William Raborn, Director of Central Intelligence from 1965-1966. Password BROMLOW.

* vbush - The user account of Dr. Vannevar Bush. Password MANHATTAN.

* twalker - The user account of T. Walker. Password unknown.
* tbrooks - The user account of Terrance Brooks. Password LAUREN.
* rnixon - The user account of President Richard Nixon can be accessed using the password CHECKERS.

A list of files will then appear when the DIR command is typed.
Code:
cracked1.pic
cracked2.pic
crash.snd
launch1.pic
launch2.pic
meetreznov.snd
memoGK.txt
rapture.snd
runway.snd
Any of these files can be opened using the CAT command. For example, CAT CRASH.SND plays a musical cue from the game.

Mail - Nixon has two mail messages in his mail account.

* rkain - The user account of Richard Kain. Password unknown.
* rjackson - The user account of Ryan Jackson. Password SAINTBRIDGET.
o within contains a text file named BioKristina.txt, a dossier for a Soviet GRU double agent.

* rhelms - The user account of Richard Helms, Director of the CIA from 1966 to 1973. Password is LEROSEY.

* lbjohnson - The user account of President Lyndon Baines Johnson account can be accessed with the password LADYBIRD.

Files - When DIR is typed, a list of 56 files are displayed.

Mail - Johnson's mail account contains 9 messages, the first of which references MJ-12 (Majestic). The mail account also has two encrypted emails from Jason Hudson which can be decoded using the DECODE command and typing the encoded message.

Message 4 - (Decoded)
TO: Johnson, L.

SUBJECT: Kowloon

PACKAGE LOST

NOVA6 THREAT CONFIRMED

DREAMLAND UPDATED

PROCEEDING TO YAMANTAU

Message 5 - (Decoded)

TO: Johnson, L.

SUBJECT: Mason

MASON IS DELUSIONAL

HES BEEN MUMBLING ABOUT THE NUMBERS

RECOMND IMED INITIATION

OF FALLBACK OPERATION

* jturner - The user account of J. Turner. Password unknown.
* jmccone - The user account of John McCone, Director of Central Intelligence 1961-1965. Password unknown.
* jhudson - The user account of Jason Hudson. Password BRYANT1950

Mail - Hudson's mail account has 18 messages. A series of number code fragments labeled ECHELON begin in message 5 from John Trent. Grigori Weaver also sent a number of messages with ECHELON number codes.

ECHELON STRINGS - Message 5

Echelon 5 21 0 8 18 15 14 7 21 16 23 9 14 23 0 6 18 4

ECHELON STRINGS - Message 7

Echelon 2 1 12 24 4 8 20 1 5 2 18 16 6 21 14 21 19 21 9 1

Echelon 9 8 11 17 1 17 7 18 24 1 0 19 18 5 1 11 15

Echelon 8 8 18 16 19 24 25 21 17 21 14 17 15 15 22 11 8 18 5 5 12

Using the DECODE function, the agency-standard encoded text in message 7 can be deciphered as:

WE THINK ECHELON MEANS INFORMATION

AND WE ARE SURE ASCENSION MEANS COMMAND

ASCENSION STRINGS - Message 8

"This one was broadcast to Ground Zero. It has to be the trigger."

Ascension 7 15 1 2 19 7 25 6 13 6 7 15 14 0 11 24 11 1 7 19 20 10 14 2 3 19

o 8 11 22 21 5 17 17 0 10 2 23 1 8 11 25 22 9 4 12 9 23 1 12 0 12 16 6 12 8

4 1 6 2 10 2 1 24 18 10 15 9 13 18 14 11 11 2 14 23 3 17 24 17 21 2 15 4 5 7

13 4 24 6 3 4 24 1 9 23 17 10 2 10 23 24 14 5 25
Message 9 (Decoded)
WE HAVE CONFIRMED HE MET WITH
EVELYN CROSS IN BERLIN
THE DAY OF THE SPEECH

ECHELON STRINGS - Message 9
We almost lost Harris getting this one.
Echelon 3 24 20 12 19 17 17 22 19 23 19 4 0 7 6 7 19 10 12 16 17 6 14 4 3
17 24 20 13 24 8 16 17 1 24 9 21 15 0 5 15 4 4 23 6 11 25 14 4 20 4 9 14 18
12 8 7 21 6 4 21 7 21 4 2 14 3 14 7 18 13 6 22 16 6 1 21 21 15 3 5 24 9 11
2 10 5 21 4 20 11 19 12 5 12 13 12 5 17 19 3 14 21 12 15 17 7 7 2 2 21 1 10
22 13 5

Using the DECODE function, the agency-standard encoded text in message 9 can be deciphered as:

WE THINK ECHELON MEANS INFORMATION

AND WE ARE SURE ASCENSION MEANS COMMAND

(Identical to the text in Message 7.)

* jfkennedy - The user account of President John F. Kennedy. Password: LANCER.

Files - The files in the jfkennedy directory appear to be the same as those in the lbjohnson account.

Mail - Kennedy's mail account has 6 messages, the last of which is dated November 21, 1963 two days before his assasination in Dallas, Texas.

* jbowman - The user account of Joseph Bowman. Password unknown.
* gweaver - The user account of Grigori "Greg" Weaver. The password for the account is GEDEON.
* fwoods - The user account of Frank Woods. Password unknown.
* dking - The user account of D. King. Password unknown.
* bharris - The user account of Bruce Harris. Password GOSKINS.
* asmith - The user account of Dr. Adrienne Smith. Password ROXY.

Other Commands

zork - starts a text-based adventure game on the terminal.

doa - starts a top-down shooter style arcade game in which the player must fend off waves of zombies as they move among different play areas.

3arc unlock - a cheat code which unlocks Zork mode, Dead Ops Arcade mode the Zombies map "Five" and all the single player missions.

3arc intel - a cheat code which unlocks all intel in the game for viewing, but disables trophies/achievements.

alicia - begins a session with Alicia, your virtual therapist.

help - displays help information

cat or print - prints the contents of a file (.txt, .pic, .snd)

cd [ |.|..|path] - changes the current directory.

cls - clears the screen

dir or ls - displays the contents of the current directory.

decode - decodes an encrypted string using an agency standard cypher

encode - encodes a string using an agency standard cypher

exit - exits the current login session

foobar - displays the string: Fee Fie Foe Foo!

hello sailor - launches ZORK I

login - starts a new login session on the current system

mail - opens the current users mailbox

rlogin [system] - attempts a login session on a remote system. Known remote systems are DREAMLAND and DOD.

who - lists the users who have accounts on the current system

DREAMLAND

The Dreamland remote system is accessible using the rlogin command. It is the server of Majestic 12 (also known as Majic 12, Majestic Trust, M12, MJ 12, MJ XII, Majority 12 or Mars-Jupiter 12) is the code name of a secret committee. The alleged purpose of the committee was to investigate UFO activity in the aftermath of the Roswell incident

The USER vbush and PASSWORD majestic1 will grant entry to the account of Dr. Vannevar Bush.

More unencoded and encoded files are found here:

Swamp1.txt - is a transcription of audio recordings from the Shi No Numa zombie level from Call of Duty: World at War. "Peter" is referenced in this files as an operative with the encoded name CWZGUTCT.

Update.txt - some lines are encoded in this file, which references Peter's movement to Verruckt. The author's unencoded name is Cornelius Pernell. The last few words of the message appear to decode to TANK DEMPSY.

ServantA00001.txt - appears to be a test message for the German DATASERVANT system, but includes mentions of the dog Fluffy

ServantA00115.txt - references known locations of meteor fragments and the ability to use Element 115 for applications including weapons upgrades via PACK A PUNCH

ServantA00359.txt - ray gun information

ServantA02977.txt - DG2 information

ServantA91374.txt - a personal file of Dr. Ludwig Maxis regarding the Nazi's hopes for the zombie experiments and his thoughts on those hopes.

ServantB67129.txt - regards effects on Tank Dempsy, Nikolai Bellinksi and Takeo Masaki with Dr. Edward Richtofen as a witness.

ServantB70001.txt - Maxis' thoughts on Sophia

ServantB70326.txt - Maxis discusses his paranoia about Richtofen and the experiments.

roppen

roppen (Robert Oppenheimer) is accessible with the password TRINITY. The files in his account are mainly transcriptions of recordings from the Der Riese test facility. There are also three encoded files which seem to be haikus, possibly written by Takeo Masaki.

Hai1.txt - Decodes as the following:

GUN IN MY RIGHT HAND
COLA IN MY LEFT
BRING ME THE MEATSACKS

Hai2.txt - Decodes as the following:

UNDEAD ALL ABOUT
SURROUNDED NEED MAX AMMO
COULD USE A REVIVE

Hai5.txt - Decodes as the following:

WENT DOWN TO THE LAKE
STUMBLED UPON A SECRET
WILL NOT SLEEP AGAIN

One other file is encoded, which is Oppenheimer's reference to the Trinty atomic bomb test:

Radiance.txt - Decodes as the following:

IF THE RADIANCE OF A THOUSAND SUNS
WERE TO BURST FORTH AT ONCE IN THE SKY
THAT WOULD BE LIKE THE SPLENDOUR OF THE MIGHTY ONE
I AM BECOME DEATH THE SHATTERER OF WORLDS
BHAGAVAD VITA ALAMOGORDO NM 1945

twalker

twalker also has access to the system but the password is as yet unknown.

DOD
The DoD (Department of Defense) remote system is accessible using the rlogin command. There are no known users or passwords at this time.

'VERUCKT'

The Verruckt archives is accessable using the login command. Users are VBUSH, TWALKER and ROPPEN. No known passwords at this time.

'DERRISE'

The Derrise archives is accessable using the login command. Users are VBUSH, TWALKER and ROPPEN. No known passwords at this time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2010, 09:46 AM   #116
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tried to play with some friends last night and it kept bouncing the party and separating everyone. Tried like 5 times before giving up.

As well, is anyone else having a big delay in finding a game? It seems it will sit there looking at potential game matches for 5-8 minutes. Sucks when you want to just jump into a quick game.
Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #117
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

PC version has been patched. Is it better now?
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #118
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Apparently the patch worked great for most people, but still some problems.

This is my post after the patch on steam forums, if anyone has any ideas of what I can do to improve my issues I'd love to hear it.

Well I never had the bad stuttering like others, but figured these problems listed below were part of the original problems. After the patch heres what I'm still struggling with and I was hoping someone might be able to figure out what I could do to improve it.

System: Quad core 9600, 8 gig DDR3 ram 800mhz, GTX 480 1.5 ddr5 ram. HD 7200rpm 500gig.

The loading screen, white bar loads and the spinning circle stops when "waiting for players" appears, then I load into the game after like 30 seconds when the game is usually around 500-400, well into the game.

After viewing kill cams, I've noticed I see my enemy later than they see me, if that makes sense.

The first 10-20 seconds are near unplayable with loading lag still hanging, usually don't get very good playability until about 1 min in, and have to check on FPS as I haven't put in fraps yet to check that out.

Also I eventually get a 'freeze' in MP menu, usually lasts for about 15-20 seconds until it is responsive again.

In SP everything works like a charm.

Any hints or suggestions let me know, I went with Nvidia's suggested settings for GTX 480.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:53 PM   #119
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you checked for the latest video drivers?? I dont have the same card, but Nvidia just patched mine last week. Nm, you said single player is fine.. Thats weird, hows your ping?
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:55 PM   #120
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

I loved COD MW2 last year, but I admit I haven't played it in months. Prolly just pass on black ops.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black ops , call of duty , treyarch