Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2024, 07:31 AM   #101
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I couldn’t handle it
I was watching at a pub and when they scored I left. Drove home with the radio off and when I hit 17th ave a few flames fans were hitting the street and that’s when I flipped on the radio to find out they won
I did the same thing. I left my friends house in tears, went home and laid on the sofa. Then I heard my neighbor blasting an air horn outside. I immediately turned on the TV and watched the replay. All those years of the first round curse had me bummed right out. I didn't think we had a chance of winning that game after that deflating goal.

Last edited by CedarMeter; 04-04-2024 at 07:35 AM.
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 07:40 AM   #102
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
For sure. Canucks also had two cracks at it in 2011, up 3-2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Yes, very true, although Boston came back from a 3-1 series deficit and shutout Vancouver 4-0 in game 7 (I remember it vividly, it was one of my best hockey moments watching the Canucks duff it). I'd say Edmonton was closer than they were - that tight spot between Vancouver's Game 7 and Calgary's Game 7.

Bonus points to Canucks fans for destroying their own city afterwards too.
Ozy, the Bruins never trailed any series 3-1. They were down 2-0 to the Habs and the Canucks. For the Canucks game 7 and the subsequent riot, which one are you referring to? The 1994 SCF or 2011 SCF?
Old 04-04-2024, 07:42 AM   #103
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was 18 at the time and just graduated high school the previous spring. As a grad gift, my parents sent me to Italy for a two week tour with some friends that was organized by St. Francis High School. I remember leaving a few days before the playoffs started and being crushed I was going to miss games 1-5 (if it even went that long). I remember using my friends satellite phone and getting updates from my dad. I remember being in the airport in Rome ready to fly home and calling my dad asking what happened in game 5. He replies “get your ass home, they won and can clinch tomorrow!” The whole tour group started a Go Flames Go chant in the airport. It was so cool!

Game 6 I watched at Schanks north and was crushed. Game 7 I had to work and missed the first 2 periods. Instead of missing more game time driving to meet up with friends, I just went home and watched with my family. When Vancouver tied it I lost my ####, threw a pillow, almost broke a lamp and basically ran to the computer room and logged onto CP to vent and basically cry. I lost track of time and a buddy who was on messenger typed “Holy ####” I tuned back in and was watching the handshake line…I missed OT!

That whole spring was magical. Many trips down to 17th. I made a giant Stanley Cup made out of cardboard at my work. It was about 5 feet tall and barely fit in the backseat of my car. The whole Tampa series I brought it down to the red mile and people would tap it, and pour beer and drink from the bowl I mounted to the top. During various aerial shots, you could see the cup floating down a sea of people.

Game 6 against Tampa was a Saturday night and a few of us watched at a buddies house. We wanted to watch the game with minimal distractions and truly soak it in. We had the cup ready to head down to the mile if they won. Alas we all know what happened. Game 7 was the same group of buddies at my house huddled in the basement around a ####ty TV. Same deal as Game 6. After the loss we still went down to the mile. I remember it was packed and was somber and felt a bit like a funeral. Tears were shed. A spring that will never be forgotten or duplicated.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 08:26 AM   #104
kipperiggy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Look at my name and my registration date, could I BE more of an '04 bandwagoner?

(not really, because I've suffered for the 20 years since with all you filthy animals)

Thanks AC!
kipperiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 08:29 AM   #105
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

That spring was one of the greatest of my life. I got to watch every home playoff game in the dome with my friend. Cheering our heads off for every Flames goal. Booing opposition fans on the concourse before the start of the games. The extreme highs watching the Eliminator end series. The extreme lows of losing to opposition with the most low being Game 6 of the finals when all the air was sucked out of the dome in overtime. I'll never have another experience quite like that again.
Old 04-04-2024, 08:34 AM   #106
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

10 Years Later - player comments

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...ght=2004+years
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 08:35 AM   #107
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britflamesfan View Post
Makes you realise just how bad the Flames have been for 20 years.
Bro this is meant to be a celebration

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 09:53 AM   #108
cheevers
Scoring Winger

Exp:

An incredible two months for me, was 19, working at HMV and bought my first set of season tickets that year. Went to every game with my best friend. Had no real bills or responsibilities outside a mall job, so got to go to every game, getting there hours early every time. It was really just the perfect timing for me when they went on that run. Even if they did the same thing now, just being older and having a family and responsibilities, it would not be the same. For all you young ins, if they go on a run again, enjoy every second. Never know when it can happen again.

The Flames not winning the cup that year is forever proof that there is no hockey gods, or god for that matter. That team gave everything and then the trash Tampa Bay Lightning win. Tampa had the easiest possible cup run:
-played in an all-time bad division. The second-best team in their division was the 10th worst team in the league. They were able to rest at the end of the year.
-not one significant injury to deal with. Meanwhile the Flames lost Reinprecht for half the year and all the playoffs. You could make an argument he was the best Flames centre. Didn't have McAmmond all playoffs, so that is two top 6 guys. Lombardi was nearly decapitated by Hatcher, so missed him after round 2. Only 6 playoff games for Lydman, and Regher playing with a broken foot.
-They got to play the Islanders and Canadiens who were both trash and put up next to no fight. Philly takes them to 7, and I still think if the Flyers had won, the Flames sweep them.
-Then the absolute terrible referring. I don't even consider the goal as one (I always thought even if they reviewed it, it would have never been given, especially to win the cup. It was too close). But the fact they allowed a goal to stand in Game 7 against the Canucks when the sweater thrown on the ice and interferred with the play. Those refs should have been investigated for betting. throw in the game 4 of the finals with the two penalties, and of course the blantant trip for the game 6 winner.

Everything was against the Flames and they still came so close. I am glad we had the Kipper jersey retirement to bring back most of the guys, but we really should have a night to honour that team as a whole. Just absolute warriors and heroes.

Forgot to add, one of my favorite memories that year was, I think we clinched the playoffs at home against the Coyotes on an afternoon game. Went to the car park to get autographs from the players. Had my Yelle jersey on, and get him to sign it. He takes the jersey, has a look at it and says "Is this a Yelle jersey?" "Yup" "Don't see many of those". What a guy.

Last edited by cheevers; 04-04-2024 at 09:56 AM.
cheevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 12:53 PM   #109
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a time! So much fun. Lots of ups and downs that ended with heartbreak. Still, it was amazing to experience that all. I got the experience down here in Lethbridge. There was Flames fever down here too.

There were a few of us who would cruise the strip after Flames wins. Nothing like the Red Mile in Calgary. There were always more Flames fans cruising after each series win.

Game 7 vs Vancouver... We were winning. Empty net with the puck on Iginla's stick and someone became an inspriation to Oilers fans by throwing their sweater on the ice. Cooke scores with 5.7 seconds left and I felt rage. I smashed the TV remote (and had to buy a new one the next day). Oh the elation when Gelinas scores in OT!

My most fond moment in all of those playoffs was Gelinas scoring the OT goal in Game 6 against Detroit. That was huge. After beating the juggernaut Red Wings everything else was gravy...

Then we made the finals. It was very cool to see all the Flames fans in Lethbridge but when the Flames were up 3-2 and game 6 was in Calgary on a weekend night... I'm going to Calgary. My wife was taking a course and staying in a hotel that weekend. We watched the game at my friend's house with her husband, mom, sister and brother-in-law as she went to the game with her dad. We were all sure that we'd meet them up on the Red Mile after winning the Cup! Crushing way to lose. I wasn't as mad at losing this game as I was when Vancouver tied up in round 1 game 7 but I was certainly worried.

I felt that the Flames were going to win game 7. My co-worker and I informed our boss that if the Flames win the cup we won't make it back in time to work the next morning because we'd be heading up to the Red Mile to celebrate all night. As the clock ticked down and Leopold narrowly missed tying it up I tossed the remote to the couch... it took an odd bounce and rebounded violently out of the room (I had to buy another remote the next day!).

I watched almost every second of those playoffs, except for game 1 against Vancouver. We were at my wife's parent's place for some family gathering and I wasn't able to watch much of the game there but saw the ending. Missed maybe the first minute of play in Game 2 as we were at another family gathering and we left early to get home to watch the Flames game. Then Game 1 vs San Jose was on Mother's Day and we were supposed to go for dinner with my parents. Somehow my parents decided to pick us up and I stalled and stalled and we got to watch all of the OT. My dad was kinda stalling too!
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 01:19 PM   #110
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I remember sitting there watching the first period of Game 7 against Tampa Bay and realizing that if the Flames won the Stanley Cup, it would be nice, but it wouldn't bring me as much joy as when they beat Vancouver in the first round.

That was pure glee, perfect payback for 1994. 7th game, overtime, in their building as the underdog. All they were talking about on the radio in Vancouver is who they wanted to play in the second round, as though beating Calgary was a formality. I got kicked off a Vancouver city bus after Game 4 for wearing my Flames jersey, making eye contact with the driver, and grinning ear to ear. And I didn't even care.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 01:52 PM   #111
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My daughter was born that year so it's hard to forget the run.

She's in her second year of university now...
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 02:09 PM   #112
Lewis_D
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I was twelve at the time. Even at that young age I had basically resigned myself to the fact I'd be rooting for the 'young guns' flames for the rest of eternity. So being able to witness that run was absolutely magical, after being put through that epic ride with all those great moments and wild emotions, the heartbreak that at the end, that was without a doubt when I knew... 'this is my team for life'.

So many great moments, too many to even list out. But living in BC made that first round vs Vancouver all the more intense. That series felt like it lasted for an eternity!
Lewis_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 02:15 PM   #113
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

God, I lost track of how many boobs I saw on the red mile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckSlap View Post
I just remembere the city feeling so alive and everyone was so happy. High fives up and down the red mile. Hell, seemed like everyone was wearing thier flames jerseys all over.

Sent from my SM-F731W using Tapatalk
I was driving home from the saddledome after game 5, me and a date went and saw the game on the jumbotron. On the ride home everyone was out on the lawns waiving at the honking cars. It was so amazing.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 02:36 PM   #114
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seeing them beat Detroit in that incredible 1-0 goaltending duel is one of my favourite memories. I was 14 at the time, me and my brother dressed in full old school hockey gear cheering them on.

When that goal went in, I've never been a part of something so loud.
Old 04-04-2024, 02:52 PM   #115
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

At the start of the play-ffs, I was in Banff with my wife, who got right in to the run.We had to miss one of the games against the Canucks because we were enjoying the Eden Experience at the Rimrock.

When we flew back to the UK, I remained on Calgary time and had to go straight into work after game 7 against the Canucks.

We were in Barcelona during the latter part of the Detroit series. A couple of Canadians spotted me bleary-eyed getting coffee in my Flames jersey and they wished me luck for game 6. I happily replied that I had just finished watching game 6 and they were ecstatic.

My Australian family then joined in for the Tampa series, watching some games with me at home, and in the Maple Leaf in Covent Garden. It was a magical couple of months, full of highs and bigger highs in Calgary, Barcelona and London. I’ll never forget any of it, the games, where I was, who I spoke to, and how I felt.

And it was in.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 06:09 PM   #116
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

04 made the Flames cool again. Growing up playing minor hockey in Calgary, no one's favorite team was the Flames. It was always Avs, Wings, Penguins or Stars. I remember going to a game early in the 03/04 season against Carolina (Kipper got the shut out) and there was only 14,000 fans at the game, and it felt like a library. I think the team even closed the 300 section because there wasn't any demand. Then in the playoffs it was the loudest building in the league and they sold out every game for over a decade.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 06:36 PM   #117
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Random memories

Walking out of the dome towards the ctrrain on that old plus 15 tunnel someone started chanting GO Flames Go and that tunnel was deafening.

Cars ....all cars with flags even on off days downtown people honking 3 times and cheering chants in their cars .

I stood in the middle of the road after every win at Melrose high fiving people driving in either direction and was filmed on the roof of Melrose with a Flames flag on a golf ball retriever. Cops left me alone too.

Met 100s of people in 60 days many of which are still friends 20 years later as well as many a client of mine now .

Remember watching Chris Simon walking into Melrose after a game for take out and weirdly being left alone ....well until a ran up hammered and beer hugged him and he laughed his arse off.

Before the playoffs just after we Got Kipper the Flames had a team function at Vintage and Kipper was momentarily injured and on crutches ( knee strain) I walked up and welcomed him to Calgary and told him he was going to be a part of something huge.

The nite we backed into the playoffs against the Coyotes I was at Melrose Watching thr game in the basement. Bar was half full and I and a other guy were the only people interested in the game and we were screaming, hooting and hollering after getting in to the playoffs....still remember the looks people gave us and then after winning the first round Melrose and the red mile were born.

I remember the John Deer line, Noodles getting a misconduct for 2 handing someone in the red wing series.

Loved Ville Neimenen and his antics.

Riccis UGLY!!! Clap clap clap

So many more ....epic epic summer and memories of 04 and civic pride shown demonstrated throughout the city and Canada. Mind bottling as Rhett W would say.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 01:44 PM   #118
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

hah! I forgot about Ricci's ugly
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2024, 01:58 PM   #119
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
I remember when the third period ended, a buddy of mine called me up and said he was going to drive over to my place to watch the OT. He lived about 20 minutes away from me. Needless to say, he missed the goal.
Haha rookie mobs, poor guy! He needed to leave during an intermission!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 02:06 PM   #120
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
What a time! So much fun. Lots of ups and downs that ended with heartbreak. Still, it was amazing to experience that all. I got the experience down here in Lethbridge. There was Flames fever down here too.

There were a few of us who would cruise the strip after Flames wins. Nothing like the Red Mile in Calgary. There were always more Flames fans cruising after each series win.

Game 7 vs Vancouver... We were winning. Empty net with the puck on Iginla's stick and someone became an inspriation to Oilers fans by throwing their sweater on the ice. Cooke scores with 5.7 seconds left and I felt rage. I smashed the TV remote (and had to buy a new one the next day). Oh the elation when Gelinas scores in OT!

My most fond moment in all of those playoffs was Gelinas scoring the OT goal in Game 6 against Detroit. That was huge. After beating the juggernaut Red Wings everything else was gravy...

Then we made the finals. It was very cool to see all the Flames fans in Lethbridge but when the Flames were up 3-2 and game 6 was in Calgary on a weekend night... I'm going to Calgary. My wife was taking a course and staying in a hotel that weekend. We watched the game at my friend's house with her husband, mom, sister and brother-in-law as she went to the game with her dad. We were all sure that we'd meet them up on the Red Mile after winning the Cup! Crushing way to lose. I wasn't as mad at losing this game as I was when Vancouver tied up in round 1 game 7 but I was certainly worried.

I felt that the Flames were going to win game 7. My co-worker and I informed our boss that if the Flames win the cup we won't make it back in time to work the next morning because we'd be heading up to the Red Mile to celebrate all night. As the clock ticked down and Leopold narrowly missed tying it up I tossed the remote to the couch... it took an odd bounce and rebounded violently out of the room (I had to buy another remote the next day!).

I watched almost every second of those playoffs, except for game 1 against Vancouver. We were at my wife's parent's place for some family gathering and I wasn't able to watch much of the game there but saw the ending. Missed maybe the first minute of play in Game 2 as we were at another family gathering and we left early to get home to watch the Flames game. Then Game 1 vs San Jose was on Mother's Day and we were supposed to go for dinner with my parents. Somehow my parents decided to pick us up and I stalled and stalled and we got to watch all of the OT. My dad was kinda stalling too!
My main takeaway here is... TV remotes don't fare well in your residence.
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post: