Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2023, 02:45 PM   #101
MonaTone
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Folks really took a thread about Pride night to be openly transphobic...incredible.
MonaTone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MonaTone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 02:50 PM   #102
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched34 View Post
Point me to a 10-14 year old who actively makes the decision to be a pariah, bullied relentlessly mentally, emotionally, physically and socially during the most important formative years of their life. Worst part is, their peers are normally the most tolerant, it's the adults in their lives, that should be there to support, protect and guide them that tend to do the most harm due to outdated ideals such as this.
Elkyiv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elkyiv For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 03:03 PM   #103
cheevers
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I always laugh about the fear that male athletes are going to change genders just so they can win women's events. Is there some sort of underground, highly financed women's sports that no one knows about?
Who wouldn't want to go through an intense, hard procedure to change their sex? Throw on the mental strain that can come with it, all the hormones you would have to take, and the cost and danger, but hey, you can make 40k a year to play women's soccer. Who is going to put themselves through that for minimal financial gain and limited fame?
cheevers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to cheevers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 03:06 PM   #104
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Wait, so these people (the good apples, as you imply) are doing this to protect their own status or privilege now and into the future?

I mean that's pretty much oppression.
Do you really think that gay people are currently oppressed and I'm suggesting we keep oppressing them further? I'm suggesting equality, as I have stated from the first post. I'm against forcing people to use gender pronouns because it infringes on their free speech. I'm also against having transgender pro athletes compete against women or serve time in jails for women. Not because I think that is the main reason someone wants to change his/her sex, but because I don't want people to use it for personal gain.

I was also asking a simple question of how many people would be against Straight Night? just to celebrate that we're all straight. It sounds ridiculous doesn't it? but we're trying to make everyone equal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaTone View Post
Folks really took a thread about Pride night to be openly transphobic...incredible.
I was actually trying to have a discussion, especially against all the self righteous people in this thread patting themselves on the back, without actually presenting any facts to support their claims.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 03:09 PM   #105
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never read such backwards nonsense in my life.

This reverse discrimination sounds like people that have never suffered instances of exclusion or being targeted in a way that harmed their quality of life inventing something to protest because they don't understand what's going on and feel left out.

Nothing about your way or quality of life is at stake here.

Being inclusive isn't like Rose pulling Jack on to the piece of wreckage but at the expense of her own survival. It's just about openly encouraging every one to partake in the stuff we enjoy.

Not everything is a win-lose proposition. Not everything is about me and mine. The world doesn't work that way any more. We can all win by just by collaborating instead of being ignoramuses and dicks.

You don't have to perpetuate your grandpa's wartime beliefs any more, bro.

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 03-20-2023 at 03:11 PM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 03:15 PM   #106
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
I was also asking a simple question of how many people would be against Straight Night? just to celebrate that we're all straight. It sounds ridiculous doesn't it? but we're trying to make everyone equal...
Transphobic stuff aside, what would you be addressing through a “straight night”? Is there a lack of straight folks in the NHL? Do straight folks feel unwelcome in some straight-dominated spaces too? Are straight kids worried about whether they can be themselves when they’re playing youth hockey or that they have to hide who they are because they’re straight?

Seriously, what’s the reason for having a straight night? If it’s just equality, are you saying that the entire point of having a Pride night is just the night itself and celebrating how awesome gay people are?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 03:16 PM   #107
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Do you really think that gay people are currently oppressed
Yes.

Quote:
and I'm suggesting we keep oppressing them further?
lets see

Quote:
I'm suggesting equality, as I have stated from the first post. I'm against forcing people to use gender pronouns because it infringes on their free speech.
Quote:
I'm also against having transgender pro athletes compete against women or serve time in jails for women.
Quote:
Not because I think that is the main reason someone wants to change his/her sex, but because I don't want people to use it for personal gain.
Quote:

Quote:
and I'm suggesting we keep oppressing them further?
yes.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 03:18 PM   #108
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Transphobic stuff aside, what would you be addressing through a “straight night”? Is there a lack of straight folks in the NHL? Do straight folks feel unwelcome in some straight-dominated spaces too? Are straight kids worried about whether they can be themselves when they’re playing youth hockey or that they have to hide who they are because they’re straight?

Seriously, what’s the reason for having a straight night? If it’s just equality, are you saying that the entire point of having a Pride night is just the night itself and celebrating how awesome gay people are?
Could you imagine an NHL straight night?

Just a bunch of barley chewing dude-bros drinking AGD and talking about pickup trucks while listening to Nickelback until a few guys decide it would be fun to have a totally not homoerotic wrestling match?

sounds like a blast
Old 03-20-2023, 03:22 PM   #109
MonaTone
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I was actually trying to have a discussion, especially against all the self righteous people in this thread patting themselves on the back, without actually presenting any facts to support their claims.

"Having a discussion" with transphobes/homophobes/bigots/etc is all to often them spewing half thought out ideas, straw man arguments and slippery slope whataboutisms.

It's exhausting and frankly no one owes you that. The world is evolving, ya'll have a chance to join in on the fun and you will be happier for it, I promise.
MonaTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 03:23 PM   #110
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Could you imagine an NHL straight night?

Just a bunch of barley chewing dude-bros drinking AGD and talking about pickup trucks while listening to Nickelback until a few guys decide it would be fun to have a totally not homoerotic wrestling match?

sounds like a blast
What's with the stero typing.

it would be a diverse group of people who enjoy watching hockey, just like gendered minorities are a diverse group of people who enjoy watching hockey?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 03:26 PM   #111
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes.

lets see

yes.
Great argument there. Lots of facts to back it up.

Also, I'm not advocating Straight Night... I'm trying to show you guys how ridiculous that sounds... Everyone should be included on any given night, but that's not enough is it?

Also, I'm not saying that there shouldn't be a pride night, but that individuals should have a choice of if/how they want to support it.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 03:27 PM   #112
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
What's with the stero typing.

it would be a diverse group of people who enjoy watching hockey, just like gendered minorities are a diverse group of people who enjoy watching hockey?

It's just a classic lifestyle choice that is well known among the straight community that, personally, i find repugnant and won't support it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 03:28 PM   #113
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

I might reject a Nickelback warmup jersey, to be fair.

It's fine if you listen to them, just keep it in the privacy of your own homes.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 03:29 PM   #114
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Also, I'm not advocating Straight Night... I'm trying to show you guys how ridiculous that sounds... Everyone should be included on any given night, but that's not enough is it?

Also, I'm not saying that there shouldn't be a pride night, but that individuals should have a choice of if/how they want to support it.
SO you think the idea of a straight night sounds ridiculous and therefore that makes the idea of a pride night sounds ridiculous for the same reasons? like these two things are the same to you?
Old 03-20-2023, 03:29 PM   #115
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's just a classic lifestyle choice that is well known among the straight community that, personally, i find repugnant and won't support it.
It's a lame and unproductive joke.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 03:30 PM   #116
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
It's a lame and unproductive joke.
So is the idea of a straight night.

Might as well have that during white pride month
Old 03-20-2023, 03:30 PM   #117
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you really think that gay people are currently oppressed and I'm suggesting we keep oppressing them further?
First part, yes. Second part, probably not, but your rhetoric here isn't exactly helping anything.

Quote:
I'm suggesting equality, as I have stated from the first post. I'm against forcing people to use gender pronouns because it infringes on their free speech.
Nobody is forcing anyone to use someone's preferred pronouns. The community is simply asking people to be decent, considerate, and thoughtful human beings through respecting their self identity by using the pronouns with which they identify. It's not infringing on free speech rights, but if you subscribe to the Jordan Peterson model of not doing it to be spiteful - which I am not accusing you of doing - then you're just being a dick because you can.

Quote:
I'm also against having transgender pro athletes compete against women or serve time in jails for women. Not because I think that is the main reason someone wants to change his/her sex, but because I don't want people to use it for personal gain.
And it's been explained that this a nonsense thing to be concerned about because not only is it not practical, it's also significantly unlikely. It seems that a lot of the anxieties people have regarding trans persons could be easily assuaged if they stopped manufacturing problems in their own heads.

Quote:
That's another silly thought because straight people don't require an equalization effort. It's the same goofiness that goes along with "all lives matter". While technically true, not all lives are in various modes of crises.

Like BIPOC persons, LGBTQ+ persons are trying to achieve the same status and inclusiveness as white, cisgendered, heterosexual persons.

Quote:
Which opinions and/or claims are you asking posters to qualify?

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 03:30 PM   #118
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

If a certain group of people don’t feel welcome or included at an event, specifically because the sport itself is not very inclusive or has not been, what do you think is an appropriate way to show them they are welcome without offending you?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 03:38 PM   #119
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 03:38 PM   #120
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

It just seems absurdly easy to just wear the jersey and have the attitude of "hey, I'm a straight guy myself, but I welcome every one to play and watch the game, regardless of your orientation. We are all welcome."

Without being sacrilegious toward your faith or hurting your cultural ties.

That's all that's being proposed by doing these.

It takes so much more effort to be oppositional that it makes no sense to be.
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post: