Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2022, 08:35 PM   #101
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 08-30-2022, 08:46 AM   #102
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Apparently in the books, the age difference between the king and Alicent is much less:

https://www.avclub.com/ok-so-just-ho...gon-1849467592

They never really say how old the king is (although he looks quite old). His brother looks a lot younger than him, and they have the same two parents. I always assumed they made the kind looks a lot older than he was, as he was going through poor health from that mystery disease that is stopping his wounds from healing.
I assumed it was Greyscale?
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 08:57 AM   #103
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutterBrother View Post
when it infected Jorah it literally looked like grey scales spreading across his skin. if it was that the maesters would have been panicking and a bunch of people he touched would have have caught it too.

this just looks like he has a terrible immune system that's unable to fight off minor infections from cuts. medieval AIDS?
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 09:35 AM   #104
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutterBrother View Post
Not greyscale. Totally different symptoms.

My thoughts on Viserys were:

1. Someone is poisoning and/or cursing him; or
2. The iron throne being made of swords that are sharp enough to cut. It will cut people it perceives as weak. This could be due to some kind of magic in its formation.

The crabfeeder, as confirmed by the creators, does have greyscale though.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2022, 09:43 AM   #105
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
when it infected Jorah it literally looked like grey scales spreading across his skin. if it was that the maesters would have been panicking and a bunch of people he touched would have have caught it too.

this just looks like he has a terrible immune system that's unable to fight off minor infections from cuts. medieval AIDS?
Okay, so thinking about this a little bit more, I do wonder if its going for something a little more mundane.

Considering how much emphasis of the show thus far has been about having a Royal Heir, and pure Targaryan blood lines and such, could they maybe be discovering some of the negative effects of closed bloodlines, inbreeding and incest?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 09:44 AM   #106
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not just big ears?
Old 08-30-2022, 10:03 AM   #107
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
It's not just big ears?
Habsburg jaw.
Old 08-30-2022, 10:13 AM   #108
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

For all the violence and beheadings and even the Crab dinner scene on Sunday. I actually cringed the most at the maggot sounds as they dipped the Kings hand in it to save his finger.

I kind of wonder over multiple seasons how far this show is going to go to link Game of Thrones to it. If they do it the way I think, most of the main characters should be in their graves by the end as they try to explain the mad Targaryan King and the fall of the family that they talked about in GOT

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 10:33 AM   #109
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
For all the violence and beheadings and even the Crab dinner scene on Sunday. I actually cringed the most at the maggot sounds as they dipped the Kings hand in it to save his finger.

I kind of wonder over multiple seasons how far this show is going to go to link Game of Thrones to it. If they do it the way I think, most of the main characters should be in their graves by the end as they try to explain the mad Targaryan King and the fall of the family that they talked about in GOT
I was always under the assumption that the first few episodes would be about establishing the different competing claims to the throne. Then Viserys would die and set off the war(s) for succession. Similar to how things went down with Robert Baratheon's death in GoT.

From the episode 3 trailer:
Spoiler!
Old 08-30-2022, 03:48 PM   #110
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Apparently in the books, the age difference between the king and Alicent is much less:

https://www.avclub.com/ok-so-just-ho...gon-1849467592

They never really say how old the king is (although he looks quite old). His brother looks a lot younger than him, and they have the same two parents. I always assumed they made the kind looks a lot older than he was, as he was going through poor health from that mystery disease that is stopping his wounds from healing.
I've heard Viserys is supposed to be in his mid 30s at this point in the show.

His portrayal makes him look about 20 years older than he actually is. Not sure how illnesses are playing into it.

Gap looks about 30 years when it's actually about 15-17.

After the c-section I'm not surprised this show is aiming for maximum disturb factor.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2022, 05:06 PM   #111
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently, in the books, the king is only 11 years older than Alicent and the princess is 9 years younger.

In reality, the actress playing Alicent is 19, the king's actor is 49, and the actress playing the princess is 22.

It would feel a lot less creepy if the actors were closer in age to the characters in the books, but I suppose that uneasiness is the point.
Old 08-30-2022, 05:21 PM   #112
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I get the impression that the flash forwards made it a bit difficult to choose actors. For example they needed an actor who could play Rhaenyra as a mid-teen to early adulthood, before they even started the major flash forward.

The casting does seem strange though. Viserys looks 20+ years older than his brother. A major reason is his beard is not totally white. It makes him look he's just gone very grey, as opposed to being born with white hair.
Old 08-30-2022, 05:24 PM   #113
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hm. 2 episodes in and I really havent had any issue with the casting.

Seems alright to me.

It gets the creepy across without slathering you with it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 05:39 PM   #114
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I get the impression that the flash forwards made it a bit difficult to choose actors. For example they needed an actor who could play Rhaenyra as a mid-teen to early adulthood, before they even started the major flash forward.

The casting does seem strange though. Viserys looks 20+ years older than his brother. A major reason is his beard is not totally white. It makes him look he's just gone very grey, as opposed to being born with white hair.
It's going to start getting really weird in a couple of weeks when some major characters are suddenly played by new actors, while others are still played by the same actors.

I wonder if they have plans to incorporate flashbacks to keep the younger actors around, or if they'll just be gone after everyone got to know them?
Old 08-30-2022, 08:52 PM   #115
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Matt Smith will get a couple wrinkles while the princesses will cycle through multiple actresses.

Hopefully won't be too weird.

Then again Ewan McGregor was supposed to be old Alec Guiness 10 years after his show.
Old 08-31-2022, 10:58 AM   #116
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Matt Smith will get a couple wrinkles while the princesses will cycle through multiple actresses.
At least none of the Targaryens will get fired for letting their hair go gray

*rimshot*
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 02:25 PM   #117
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Enjoying it so far. Rhaenyra and Daemon are both great. Seems Rhaenyra's actor will be swapped out as she ages? Which would be too bad because she's fantastic.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2022, 09:21 PM   #118
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure the CGI dragons get more discussion, but the costumes are incredible, particularly those of Rhaenyra.

I thought that was a great episode.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 01:49 AM   #119
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Damn. What a phenomenal episode.

After all the time jumping, this one really felt like it took its time with fleshing out the characters and their relationships and motivations.

I'll overlook the at times suspect CGI for the quality this show is delivering thus far.

Slow-cooked like GOT in its prime.

I know Daemon is supposed to be the reckless brother who is unfit to rule in any capacity, but it's hard to root against him.
Old 09-05-2022, 08:11 AM   #120
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

What amazing episode. Daemon is so badass! Every scene he’s in is just perfect, props to Matt Smith.
Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote