Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2016, 09:14 AM   #101
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Although they did show us Stryker in the trailer, assuming that isn't Mystique.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:21 AM   #102
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Why steal all the good #### and put it in a crap film with an "original" story?
What other unreleased movies can you provide early reviews of?
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:31 AM   #103
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
What other unreleased movies can you provide early reviews of?

Not sure I follow. There have been lots of movies that have ripped off comic book storylines and didn't do them justice.I listed quite a few that have screwed up.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:36 AM   #104
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
If we're going by the timeline that DOFP rewrote, he can't. Wolverine will still be a captive of Stryker's during the events of Apocalypse so having him show up would make no sense
I believe Apocalypse is taking place ~8 years after DOFP. Lots of time for Logan to get his metal claws, escape Stryker and all that jazz. Or maybe Stryker releases him as a weapon against Apocalypse.

Plenty of ways he could enter the action IMO.

I just want to see him wear this...

SIDE NOTE: I loved the repeat of Magneto's quote from X2 in the trailer. Awesome. I think the main strength of the X-Men franchise is they have absolutely nailed the relationship between Magneto and Prof. X from the very beginning.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:50 PM   #105
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I think the main strength of the X-Men franchise is they have absolutely nailed the relationship between Magneto and Prof. X from the very beginning.
Absolutely. Some of the choices in the movies have been strange, and the movies are very flawed in some cases. But getting this right at the core of the franchise makes it easier for me to overlook some things.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2016, 03:00 PM   #106
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Not sure I follow. There have been lots of movies that have ripped off comic book storylines and didn't do them justice.I listed quite a few that have screwed up.
Sure but you're quote was:

"If you're gonna do Batman vs Supes just ####ing do TDKR. Why steal all the good #### and put it in a crap film with an "original" story?"

You called Batman v Superman a crap film before you've even seen it. Maybe you'll really like it?
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:11 PM   #107
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Sure but you're quote was:

"If you're gonna do Batman vs Supes just ####ing do TDKR. Why steal all the good #### and put it in a crap film with an "original" story?"

You called Batman v Superman a crap film before you've even seen it. Maybe you'll really like it?
I meant that as a general qualifier for all movies that do that. I was just using BvS as the most recent example of a movie that ripped off material. I think I've made my position on BvS clear that I want it to be good but think the trailers have sucked. Could have been more clear I guess. I can see why it seemed like I meant that movie specifically.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:13 AM   #108
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Final trailer

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2016, 10:22 AM   #109
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Adaptations change things by their very nature. No sense in remaining hung up over it 8 movies in IMO.

Let's use the dedicated Apocalypse thread.
Replying here.

Who's hung up on it? Also only Lawrence's Mystique has been a star so it is more like 2 movies.

I've posted at length, I think in the BvS thread, about how much material changes can ruin storylines for future use, ruin characters and can ruin the movie itself.

I have every faith in Singer and even though it is partially studio motivated, I'm confident that he has enough love for the mystique character that him and the writers putting her front and centre won't ruin everything.

I just don't know why they feel the need to change it. I've said it before and I'll say it again, there is a reason why the characters and stories were popular in the first place. By changing things they just increase the chances of screwing it up.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:29 AM   #110
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lamenting about major changes from source materials when the entire franchise has been riddled with them for 16+ years seems like being a little hung up on it to me. But maybe I'm wrong.

Mystique has been a ridiculously central character throughout the franchise well before Lawrence showed up. Being able to fight toe to toe vs Wolverine in the first movie? Too much Mystique is a hallmark of Singer's take on the franchise, he really likes the character for whatever reason. But his movies have generally been more good than not, despite this fascination. I've no reason to think things will be any different in this movie, despite Lawrence's fame from other projects.
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2016, 10:56 AM   #111
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Lamenting about major changes from source materials when the entire franchise has been riddled with them for 16+ years seems like being a little hung up on it to me. But maybe I'm wrong.

Mystique has been a ridiculously central character throughout the franchise well before Lawrence showed up. Being able to fight toe to toe vs Wolverine in the first movie? Too much Mystique is a hallmark of Singer's take on the franchise, he really likes the character for whatever reason. But his movies have generally been more good than not, despite this fascination. I've no reason to think things will be any different in this movie, despite Lawrence's fame from other projects.
lol ok. If you insist on labeling it something then I'm not gonna stop you. Like I said it doesn't change my expectations for this movie in the slightest. All franchises have had quite a few unnecessary and often unfortunate changes. I was just pointing out yet another one.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:30 AM   #112
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

for those Quicksilver fans:

CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:39 AM   #113
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

there is no doubt that they killed the right Quicksilver.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2016, 11:46 AM   #114
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I remember reading an article from someone who was involved in both DOFP and Age of Ultron, not sure how or why but he basically just said what Fox is doing with Quicksilver makes Marvel's look like a joke. Boy was he right. I wonder if Marvel would have re worked some things if this version came out first, or if they are happy with the way it turned out.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:59 AM   #115
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

In hindsight I feel that not casting Lee Pace as Apocalypse may have been a mistake.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:02 PM   #116
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
In hindsight I feel that not casting Lee Pace as Apocalypse may have been a mistake.
He's already Ronan the Accuser in the Marvel Movie 'verse so that might have been a wise move. Oscar Isaac is kinda bad ass though, so not worried.

Remember how utterly panicky people were at those Quicksilver screen shots prior to DOTP?
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:06 PM   #117
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
He's already Ronan the Accuser in the Marvel Movie 'verse so that might have been a wise move. Oscar Isaac is kinda bad ass though, so not worried.

Remember how utterly panicky people were at those Quicksilver screen shots prior to DOTP?
I think so, but I'm not really familiar with that film.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:08 PM   #118
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
He just looks so damn goofy. Now knowing his character, it works. But if he came in all stone faced and serious like comic Pietro.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:15 PM   #119
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Haha I remember those covers from whatever mag that was. I remember thinking wow this looks like it is gonna be...I honestly can't think of anything. It was a combination of campy mixed with some steampunk with some 70s.

I know, super mario brothers bad. That's what I was thinking.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2016, 12:31 PM   #120
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I think so, but I'm not really familiar with that film.
Acronyms, how do they work?
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote