Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you support Iginla if he gets traded?
Yes 322 92.80%
No 25 7.20%
Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-2013, 10:49 PM   #101
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'll support Iginla 100% no matter where he goes IF he goes....
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #102
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will continue to send gigs my support check every month, regardless of where he lives
Old 03-10-2013, 11:05 PM   #103
Ice
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Iginla is already in LA, he can just stay there and the Flames can bring back whatever they get for him. Easy.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #104
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
Iginla is already in LA, he can just stay there and the Flames can bring back whatever they get for him. Easy.
What would you be willing to part with?
Old 03-10-2013, 11:10 PM   #105
Ice
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
What would you be willing to part with?
After being at the games Friday and Saturday, if I'm the Flames, I'd start off asking for a defenseman and build up from there.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:13 PM   #106
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If Iginla becomes a Vancouver Canuck I will no longer cheer for him. I am loyal but have my limits.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:59 PM   #107
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

If he became an Oiler his face would be on my dart board.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:45 AM   #108
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Setting aside Oilers, Canucks, and Leafs, I would support him. Luckily I don't see any of those 3 teams as likely candidates for his services so for the moment I'm not worried about it.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:09 AM   #109
lifetime_flamesfan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

The bigger question for everyone on CP is:

Will people continue to support Iggy if he chooses to stay a Flame? I'm thinking not with the sentiment around here lately.

I only state this question because it seems almost everyone on CP wants to run Iggy out of town now (and I said ALMOST everyone). People use excuses like the Flames need to rebuild, it a business decision or Iggy deserves a shot at a cup.

If you look closely, the business decision is keeping Iggy (he's the money maker for the team). Also should the Flames rebuild like the Oilers, they don't look too amazing to me and are full of holes on defense and goal tending. Are all the people wanting a rebuild going to stick around for 5-7 years for the rebuild to take shape (that's how long the Pens and Blackhawks took)? I'm not so sure... As for Iggy getting another shot at a cup, taking the Bourque route... so we trade him to a team with a better chance of getting the cup, he's not guaranteed to get a cup or even make the finals for that matter. As the Kings last year (winning it all) and the Oilers in '06 and the Flames in '04 (going to game 7 of the finals) proved that all you need to do is get in and get hot at the right time (I know its easier said than done, but its the truth).

How about we let the guy decide for himself on what he would like to do for himself and his family?

Sorry, just a little tired of the constant chatter.
lifetime_flamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lifetime_flamesfan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2013, 04:46 AM   #110
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would definitely support him. As crap as I think the Flames are now I still have so many good memories of Iggy that I couldn't help but cheer for him. In fact I'd probably say I'm cheering for him to be traded so I don't feel like his legacy gets further tarnished on this awful team. If he goes to a good situation it could also improve chances for his participation and leadership in the next Olympics, which I would live to see one last time.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:04 AM   #111
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Definitely. Iginla is a class act and whether you want to think he has earned the right to leave or not, as a human being I would love to see him win a Cup.. even if he had played his entire career for the Oilers.

A player like that doesn't come along very often, and when they do it is something special to witness. I feel very fortunate that we had him for as long as we did, glad he was part of the community of Calgary (and ultimately Western Canada) and wish him the best in whatever he decides to do.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:53 AM   #112
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iggy is my favorite player and I'm going to follow him no matter what. I cheer for the Flames and when it comes to playoffs I just enjoy hockey and don't really cheer for many teams at all (usually because the Flames aren't in it)

I want whats best for the Flames and I personally think Iggy being on another team is what's best for the Flames so I think I'll cheer more when Iggy is traded than I will for Iggy himself.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:04 AM   #113
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

As others have said, I would cheer for the Flames first and then his team second unless it was Vancouver, Edmonton, Toronto, etc. I would definitely want to see him win the cup, as long as he isn't playing against us.

I think lifetime_flamesfan's question is the more interesting one though. And for me I am in no rush to see him leave. At this point I'm not sure just how much we'd get for him anyway. But I do get the feeling that many Flames fans would get angry if he isn't traded or blocked trade proposals ala Sundin in his last two years under contract to the Leafs.

Kinda sad. Yeah it would be nice to get the best of both worlds, but he doesn't owe us anything. If he wants to stay, by all means I'm happy to have him.

Last edited by Daradon; 03-11-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:53 AM   #114
Milt Schmidt
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Since Bourque is the example that everyone points to in talks like this I figured I'd put in my 2 cents. When Bourque was traded I was sad to see him leave, but I was cheering for him and the Avs big time while he was there. The Bruins made the finals twice with Bourque, both times losing to the unholy Oilers, he had his chances with Boston and he wasn't going to get another if he stayed. After a few games with the Avs where it was weird to see him in another jersey, it started to feel right that he was chasing the cup. I think Bourque and the Bruins made the right decision, and I've always been happy that Bourque got his cup, it doesn't change a thing about all the years he was a Bruin.

Milt
Milt Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Milt Schmidt For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #115
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetime_flamesfan View Post

Will people continue to support Iggy if he chooses to stay a Flame? I'm thinking not with the sentiment around here lately.
Flame or not, he has my support.

Poll has been added. Thank you mods!
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #116
Stillman16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I only state this question because it seems almost everyone on CP wants to run Iggy out of town now (and I said ALMOST everyone). People use excuses like the Flames need to rebuild, it a business decision or Iggy deserves a shot at a cup.

If you look closely, the business decision is keeping Iggy (he's the money maker for the team). Also should the Flames rebuild like the Oilers, they don't look too amazing to me and are full of holes on defense and goal tending. Are all the people wanting a rebuild going to stick around for 5-7 years for the rebuild to take shape (that's how long the Pens and Blackhawks took)? I'm not so sure... As for Iggy getting another shot at a cup, taking the Bourque route... so we trade him to a team with a better chance of getting the cup, he's not guaranteed to get a cup or even make the finals for that matter. As the Kings last year (winning it all) and the Oilers in '06 and the Flames in '04 (going to game 7 of the finals) proved that all you need to do is get in and get hot at the right time (I know its easier said than done, but its the truth).

How about we let the guy decide for himself on what he would like to do for himself and his family?

Sorry, just a little tired of the constant chatter.
There are only a few situations that would alter my support of Iginla:

1. He walks in July without telling managment he won't re-sign (if he tells them before trade deadline, and managment doesn't trade him, it's managment's fault)

2. He gets traded/signs with Edm, Van or Tor.

Otherwise I will still cheer for him, and hope he gets his cup.

If he re-signs, Great!!!!

I actually think that best case scenerio could be he gets traded before deadline for picks/prospects and re-signs here in July after he gets the cup.

It would hopefully give him a better team to come back to in July ;-)
Stillman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #117
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He is my favorite player of all time.

I'll support him 100% on any team besides Vancouver or Edmonton. If he goes to Vancouver or Edmonton, I will still hope that he plays well.
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #118
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I would still support him. He's my favorite player of all time after all. But also it's not really his place to manage the franchise. That's the job of the GM who I would be holding accountable if Iggy stuck around here while not having a contender caliber team. That's terrible use of asset management in a period that we need to make use of it.

I may be a bit jaded towards Iggy though if he was approached to waive his NTC to a contender, and he declined. But that's well within his rights and we did sign him with the intention to play out his contract with the Flames. So can't really fault him in that case still.

I just hope that we get a chance to see Iggy in a different uniform since Flames can finally move on with a rebuild.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #119
vilzeh
First Line Centre

Exp:

Absolutely, just not Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal or Edmonton.
vilzeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #120
ArbourLake
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillman16 View Post
There are only a few situations that would alter my support of Iginla:

1. He walks in July without telling managment he won't re-sign (if he tells them before trade deadline, and managment doesn't trade him, it's managment's fault)

2. He gets traded/signs with Edm, Van or Tor.

Otherwise I will still cheer for him, and hope he gets his cup.

If he re-signs, Great!!!!

I actually think that best case scenerio could be he gets traded before deadline for picks/prospects and re-signs here in July after he gets the cup.

It would hopefully give him a better team to come back to in July ;-)
Jarome Iginla has always shown class, on and off the ice. I presume he'll act no differently when he makes his decision about where he'll be next season. The Flames are going nowhere fast so I'd like to see him help any Eastern Conference team win the Stanley Cup in 2013 except the Tampa Bay Lightning. That would just be too weird.
ArbourLake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cup contender , iginla , jarome , support , trade