Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2012, 04:01 PM   #101
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils'Advocate View Post
I'm not sure why we want a new style... and what is "tired" about the interface?

I'm happy with the shape it is. It fits my clock/radio. It fits my armbands. It fits most car cradles. Why mess with what is working for people?

And as for the interface, I've never minded it in the past. What needs to be improved upon? I admit I have never used an Android phone so maybe I just don't know what I am missing, but from where I sit, I'm happy if they leave well enough alone but just improve the hardware.
iOS is severely outdated. All I could say is widgets and that would end the argument. The fact you have to have all your apps on your home screens is laughable. The folder system on the home screen is tired and ugly.

This is the same as it was in 2007
Spoiler!

Compared to Android which is much more modern and sleek.
Spoiler!

When talking to people about Apple products it reminds me of when Apple fans were talking to me about Blackberry several years ago. No change and trying to catch up instead of being the innovative one is death.

Who knows, maybe outdated is the wrong term but it's sure as heck boring. Things no longer have to be simple, my mom has a freakin iPhone that I helped her get. Things don't have to be so painstakingly simple. You shouldn't have to go through the settings to get to Wifi, blue tooth, etc etc. These things on Android are easily available on the home screen through gorgeous widgets.

Don't even get me started on the notification menu which Android has only perfected in 4.1 Jelly Bean.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #102
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't really see the need to completely revamp the look of a phone every year or two; that just leads to a bunch of mediocre designs in my mind. If a rough design isn't worth keeping around for more than a year then it's really not that great to begin with. IMO the iPhone is still the best looking phone on the market so why would they change it unless they can come up with something better?

Though I may be a little biased as I'm a big fan of that aesthetic in technology, furniture, and architecture. I've seen some fantastic minimalist concept designs for Samsung phones but the actual ones that get released invariably leave me disappointed.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #103
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
iOS is severely outdated. All I could say is widgets and that would end the argument. The fact you have to have all your apps on your home screens is laughable. The folder system on the home screen is tired and ugly.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

When talking to people about Apple products it reminds me of when Apple fans were talking to me about Blackberry several years ago. No change and trying to catch up instead of being the innovative one is death.

Who knows, maybe outdated is the wrong term but it's sure as heck boring. Things no longer have to be simple, my mom has a freakin iPhone that I helped her get. Things don't have to be so painstakingly simple. You shouldn't have to go through the settings to get to Wifi, blue tooth, etc etc. These things on Android are easily available on the home screen through gorgeous widgets.

Don't even get me started on the notification menu which Android has only perfected in 4.1 Jelly Bean.
I still think the Apple one looks better. It's far from perfect, but the Android one looks cheap to me. Maybe it's just because it's a photograph of an actual phone, but the colors and the gradient look ugly. There's nothing cutting edge about it.

Functionally I like a lot of things about Android. I like that there's more control over things and I like a lot of the UI and menu structure. Apple requires too much hoop jumping to do some simple tasks. But there are just basic things like font rendering and overall aesthetics are still lacking in Android.

Ultimately I guess it's also what people are used to. After using Macs for a few years the font rendering in Windows makes me cringe and I feel the same way when I look at most Android phones.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #104
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
iOS is severely outdated.
iOS is not severely outdated - it's a really good OS.

Springboard, the iOS launcher and shell/windows manager, is terribly outdated - it really is the Windows 3.0 Program Manager re-incarnated, and I can't stand it.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #105
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

What you're complaining about is something that is realistically the easiest thing in the world they could possibly fix. A new skin for menus? Shut my mouth, wonder how they'll ever manage to crack THAT one...

I say this as someone who had a Galaxy S3 very briefly... Android is nowhere near as smooth, simple, functional, or pleasant to use as iOS. Ultimately, it's just a phone. Using an iPhone requires infinitely less effort than my S3, and honestly, widgets weren't that impressive. They cluttered everything up, and I still have no idea how one is actually supposed to manage apps on those things.

Add to that syncing music, podcasts etc from a mac to an iPhone is infinitely simpler than trying to figure out which app to use and drag and drop an entire iTunes library... I just want it in my hand, I could give a damn if I'm being lazy about it.

I usually hate getting into these discussions as it's basically the heroin of internet interactions, but come on. If there's a demand for them to tweak their skins, they'll do it. But speaking from my own experience, the overall dark feel of most the messaging and settings apps in Android is far less rewarding than the brighter iOS.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #106
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
iOS is not severely outdated - it's a really good OS.

Springboard, the iOS launcher and shell/windows manager, is terribly outdated - it really is the Windows 3.0 Program Manager re-incarnated, and I can't stand it.
I hate the fact you underlined those, making me think they were links.

Maybe outdated was the wrong word... but Apple is playing catch up to Android in the past year+ not the one innovating things. That's the opposite of what they were doing vs Blackberry years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
What you're complaining about is something that is realistically the easiest thing in the world they could possibly fix. A new skin for menus? Shut my mouth, wonder how they'll ever manage to crack THAT one....
Hopefully they do.

Quote:
I say this as someone who had a Galaxy S3 very briefly... Android is nowhere near as smooth, simple, functional, or pleasant to use as iOS. Ultimately, it's just a phone. Using an iPhone requires infinitely less effort than my S3, and honestly, widgets weren't that impressive. They cluttered everything up, and I still have no idea how one is actually supposed to manage apps on those things.
Well, "very briefly" sums it up doesn't it.

Quote:
Add to that syncing music, podcasts etc from a mac to an iPhone is infinitely simpler than trying to figure out which app to use and drag and drop an entire iTunes library... I just want it in my hand, I could give a damn if I'm being lazy about it.
Well, I think the opposite. iTunes is a bulky annoying program to use. I eliminate a step just putting media directly on my phone. Not putting them on iTunes, then my phone.

Trying to figure out what App to use?

Gee, I wonder if someone will ever crack that one. Podcasts are buried in iOS, supposed to be fixed in 6 but we'll see what happens there.

Quote:
I usually hate getting into these discussions as it's basically the heroin of internet interactions, but come on. If there's a demand for them to tweak their skins, they'll do it. But speaking from my own experience, the overall dark feel of most the messaging and settings apps in Android is far less rewarding than the brighter iOS
The dark feel? If only there was some way to change that.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #107
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I hate the fact you underlined those, making me think they were links.

Maybe outdated was the wrong word... but Apple is playing catch up to Android in the past year+ not the one innovating things. That's the opposite of what they were doing vs Blackberry years ago.

Hopefully they do.

Well, "very briefly" sums it up doesn't it.

Well, I think the opposite. iTunes is a bulky annoying program to use. I eliminate a step just putting media directly on my phone. Not putting them on iTunes, then my phone.

Trying to figure out what App to use?

Gee, I wonder if someone will ever crack that one. Podcasts are buried in iOS, supposed to be fixed in 6 but we'll see what happens there.

The dark feel? If only there was some way to change that.
How exactly are podcasts 'buried' in iOS?

As for 'if only there was some way to change that'... #### it I can feel the needle in my vein, and I don't need a relapse. They're just phones. I'm happy that you like android
Old 08-11-2012, 09:35 PM   #108
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
I usually hate getting into these discussions as it's basically the heroin of internet interactions, but come on. If there's a demand for them to tweak their skins, they'll do it. But speaking from my own experience, the overall dark feel of most the messaging and settings apps in Android is far less rewarding than the brighter iOS.
some people prefer a darker theme. but i'm like you, i like things bright and colorful on my phone

home screen
Spoiler!

chat
Spoiler!

settings
Spoiler!

luckily i use a device that lets me change it however i see fit. if you have an iphone but would prefer a bit of a different look, tough luck i suppose

Last edited by Hemi-Cuda; 08-11-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #109
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
How exactly are podcasts 'buried' in iOS?
Currently, like they have since the start, Podcasts have been buried in the Music App, and not the easier to find or use IMO. In iOS 6 Podcasts are getting their own App, which is long overdue.

Quote:
As for 'if only there was some way to change that'... #### it I can feel the needle in my vein, and I don't need a relapse. They're just phones. I'm happy that you like android s long overdue.
I'll switch to whichever phone and OS works the best and is at the top. I had a Blackberry, I had an iPhone and now I'm with Android. I want Apple to continue to push the bar.. but they haven't been. I don't know why some people get so upset to hear that.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2012, 02:18 AM   #110
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

But they're about to invent and probably patent LTE 4G!
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:42 AM   #111
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Maybe, just maybe, some people disagree with your definition of progress. What "works the best" is subjective.

As for the podcasts, I really don't mind having them in the iPod/music app. However, when you open the iPod/music app, your choices are "Playlists", "Artists", "Songs", "Videos", "More". And you have to go into "More" to find audiobooks and podcasts. I'd rather see podcasts on the front of the app instead of under "More".

There is a new app that was released by Apple about a month ago that manages podcasts separately:
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...hone_ipad.html

I'm not sure I'm happy with having everything separate. Let's say I'm out on the jogging path and I'm finished listening to the Rachael Madow podcast. Now I want to listen to my running music playlist. Currently it's now all in one app so I can quickly go from my podcast to my music. Personally, I think breaking them up into separate apps is a step backwards. Hopefully this is in addition to being able to play them in the iPod app rather than instead of.
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:54 AM   #112
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
But they're about to invent and probably patent LTE 4G!
Then sue every company who is using it...

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:32 AM   #113
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe, just maybe, some people disagree with your definition of progress. What "works the best" is subjective
No, lol.

If an iPhone works better for you, that's one thing. Being the ones progressing the technology is another.

Quote:
I'm not sure I'm happy with having everything separate. Let's say I'm out on the jogging path and I'm finished listening to the Rachael Madow podcast. Now I want to listen to my running music playlist. Currently it's now all in one app so I can quickly go from my podcast to my music. Personally, I think breaking them up into separate apps is a step backwards. Hopefully this is in addition to being able to play them in the iPod app rather than instead of.
That's your cross to bear, not mine.

Also, that scenario sucks. When you open up your phone again you're on the home screen. It's easier to click a podcast App in a "music" folder you've made then go searching into a Music App. Come on, I know you love to live up to your username... but atleast come up with plausible scenarios.

Have you tried anything besides an iPhone?

Last edited by MrMastodonFarm; 08-12-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:08 AM   #114
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

That homescreen hemicuda posted is sick. If I jailbreak my iPhone can I get it to look like that? (weather always up and not just a messy boring grid of apps)
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2012, 08:51 AM   #115
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe, just maybe, some people disagree with your definition of progress. What "works the best" is subjective.

As for the podcasts, I really don't mind having them in the iPod/music app. However, when you open the iPod/music app, your choices are "Playlists", "Artists", "Songs", "Videos", "More". And you have to go into "More" to find audiobooks and podcasts. I'd rather see podcasts on the front of the app instead of under "More".
You can change that. When you're in the "More" menu hit "Edit" and drag "Podcasts" where ever you want it. Of course this won't matter once iOS 6 is released. Hopefully they fix the podcasts app by then.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #116
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone who wants podcasts should be using Downcast...best iOs podcast app going. It geofences my home, and refreshes my feeds as I arrive or leave automatically...so sweet
Old 08-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #117
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
That homescreen hemicuda posted is sick. If I jailbreak my iPhone can I get it to look like that? (weather always up and not just a messy boring grid of apps)
after a quick google search, it doesn't appear so. the "messy boring grid of apps" is the hallmark of iOS. the weather/clock thing you see at the top is a widget, which Apple doesn't support
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #118
Lithium
Scoring Winger

Exp:

There is already a dedicated app for podcasts, made by Apple.
Lithium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lithium For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #119
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
This is true. It's called 'Podcasts'
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #120
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
This is true. It's called 'Podcasts'
I think you two have missed what we're talking about.