Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2021, 11:40 AM   #101
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
lol, there are like 100 million people there? It's hardly undiscovered.
Half a mil population, he was referring to the Kitchener Waterloo area. It’s seriously a booming tech hub, even Google opened an office there.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 11:42 AM   #102
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Coming back to Calgary right now might be pretty good timing on your part. Housing hasn't rocketed like elsewhere and the fundamentals of the economy are improving. If you want to lay down some roots and start a family this is probably one of the best places to do so. Calgary is still cheap relative to incomes and you aren't house poor making lifestyle compromises.

I know people don't really believe it after 6 years of ####, but I genuinely think we're rounding the bend and things will get better on employment over the next year.
https://globalnews.ca/news/7643677/c...arket-rebound/

While it might be relatively cheap, it isn't easy. This article talks about how it is a sellers market and how stock is flying off the shelves.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:42 AM   #103
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
Calgary needs builders (businesses, investors, community champions, restauranteurs etc.). Come spend your money here, Mr. Monopoly Man. I live inner city and also have a baby. Come join the burgeoning Calgary yuppy team where we all fret about money and complain but still live extremely comfortably.
This is the kind of #### I needed to read. Yes.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:42 AM   #104
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
You really seem like more of a norcal kind of guy. You’d fit in well on the SF side of the bay.
He definitely belongs in the city. Or he could set up shop in some gentrified area of east bay and have everyone hate him even more, which... maybe perfect?

Quote:
Dude, we're just messing.

Don't sweat the small stuff.
Somehow I knew that even in a thread that is basically open-season peter razzing, he wouldn't even be in among the first ten people to be offended by something.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 11:44 AM   #105
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're thinking of the US, then small (1,000,000 metra pop) mid-atlantic, south-atlantic cities are very livable these days. House prices would look insanely cheap to you. 3000-4000 sq ft houses on 1/2 acre in a nice suburb with great schools are in the $500,000 range. Major cities like NY, DC, etc are a cheap, easy flight or drive for a weekend. Most cities that size are booming, and filled with great restaurants, and lots of outdoor things to do.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:44 AM   #106
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's cute that you're planning to have a baby and large dinner parties at the same time in a 2 bedroom condo. Maybe my experience with little kids was unique (I doubt it) but I was way too tired to throw dinner parties. A condo (where a sleeping kid is very close to the party) makes that more like a sitcom scenario than a lifestyle, imo.

Sounds like selling your 1 br for $500K+ and buying something like this would be perfect: https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...gary-sunnyside

An extra 1000 square feet, still a very walkable neighbourhood (kensington shops, downtown, etc)
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 11:45 AM   #107
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
https://globalnews.ca/news/7643677/c...arket-rebound/

While it might be relatively cheap, it isn't easy. This article talks about how it is a sellers market and how stock is flying off the shelves.
Compared to Vancouver, you might be chasing for $30-50k to get the house you want in a bidding war here, there it's $100k or more over list on everything.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:46 AM   #108
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Peter, if you are serious about a move to Calgary, I think the timing is right. While real estate is on fire in most places in Canada, I think Calgary prices are still fairly reasonable.

With rising price of oil, and the likelihood of inflation, I can see real estate starting to rise in the not too distant future.

I would choose Calgary as a place to live on the basis of sunshine days, young highly educated population, strong sense of Community and volunteerism, proximity to the mountains and foothills, great healthcare, strong spirit of entrepreneurship, good place to raise a family, etc.

In spite of the recent downturn, IMO Calgary is still one of the best places to live in Canada, particularly for a young, upwardly mobile person like yourself and partner.
flamesfever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:46 AM   #109
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh so much more offensive when the swears aren't censored.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:48 AM   #110
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
Peter, if you are serious about a move to Calgary, I think the timing is right. While real estate is on fire in most places in Canada, I think Calgary prices are still fairly reasonable.

With rising price of oil, and the likelihood of inflation, I can see real estate starting to rise in the not too distant future.

I would choose Calgary as a place to live on the basis of sunshine days, young highly educated population, strong sense of Community and volunteerism, proximity to the mountains and foothills, great healthcare, strong spirit of entrepreneurship, good place to raise a family, etc.

In spite of the recent downturn, IMO Calgary is still one of the best places to live in Canada, particularly for a young, upwardly mobile person like yourself and partner.
I'm into this.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:51 AM   #111
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

How often have you been back to Calgary lately, and how long do you usually spend there? I've been in Victoria for around 13 years now. When I first moved out here, I used to go to Calgary a couple of times per year to visit family and friends and usually spend 10 days or so at a time.

Nowadays I'll go maybe once or twice per year and spend 4-5 days max. It's not a bad city by any means but there are a number of things I find irritating about it. Usually I stay with either my mom, my sister, or my best friend, all of whom live fairly far South in various suburbs, and I just find the suburbs super cookie-cutter and boring as hell. They're all pretty much the same. A fast food restaurant or two, 1 or 2 crappy neighbourhood pubs, a liquor store, and like a Boston Pizza or an Original Joe's.

That wouldn't bother me so much, except the city is so spread out and transit sucks ass, so you end up either having to own a vehicle or spending money on Ubers to get around the city.

Living in one of the beltline communities would definitely help with that, but then you also need to consider what your social circle is going to be. If you're planning on starting a family, you'll likely be spending a chunk of your time with other families, who mostly live in the suburbs and as such you're likely going to be commuting out to the suburbs to socialize or forcing them to come into the city.

Keep in mind that I'm a degenerate bachelor, so my priorities are vastly different than yours, but I decided ages ago that a move back to Calgary just didn't fit the lifestyle I like to live.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:58 AM   #112
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Follow along a little better, Slava my friend. We're talking about real estate in a hot market and KW is definitely overshadowed when talking about Ontario living, where the conversation usually revolves around the GTA. Not sure if you are familiar with the area or not, but I suspect you may not be.
My wife is from Guelph and I've been to KW and that area many times. It's fine, but saying it's undiscovered has to be some kind of joke. The golden horseshoe must be the most populated area of the country, not some obscure backwater that no one has heard of.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 11:59 AM   #113
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

nm

Last edited by Macman; 05-06-2021 at 08:49 AM.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:59 AM   #114
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Half a mil population, he was referring to the Kitchener Waterloo area. It’s seriously a booming tech hub, even Google opened an office there.
I was joking about the 100m, in case it wasn't obvious. I realise that there aren't that many people in the country...
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:00 PM   #115
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
I was joking about the 100m, in case it wasn't obvious. I realise that there aren't that many people in the country...
Ohhhhhhhh!

I wasn’t sure if you caught the KW specific reference and thought he was talking about the GTA or just southern Ontario in general.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:01 PM   #116
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
My wife is from Guelph and I've been to KW and that area many times. It's fine, but saying it's undiscovered has to be some kind of joke. The golden horseshoe must be the most populated area of the country, not some obscure backwater that no one has heard of.
That's fantastic. I can assure you KW is an option for a high quality of life, career prospects, and with relatively affordable houses. Very much an alternative to the overheated GTA market!
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:03 PM   #117
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Yeah, I could transfer within my current firm and make the same salary.

There are advantages to Vancouver, but almost entirely revolving around the mild weather and greenery. That said, the winters are dark as hell. There is an inky blackness to a rainy Vancouver night that I haven't encountered anywhere in the world.

My partner has been looking to start her own business for awhile and that is basically impossible in Vancouver where we just couldn't afford the loss of her salary for very long (this is why I mention income). Calgary would probably be a good place to do that.

Your last point rings the clearest to me. Life is so expensive here. It is a constant drain and even more so as we start to think about having kids (something which we have delayed due to Vancouver's living costs)!
I haven't seen anyone describe this so accurately, well done. The night here is black. Its comparatively darker here at night than other places.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:04 PM   #118
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post

Nowadays I'll go maybe once or twice per year and spend 4-5 days max. It's not a bad city by any means but there are a number of things I find irritating about it. Usually I stay with either my mom, my sister, or my best friend, all of whom live fairly far South in various suburbs, and I just find the suburbs super cookie-cutter and boring as hell. They're all pretty much the same. A fast food restaurant or two, 1 or 2 crappy neighbourhood pubs, a liquor store, and like a Boston Pizza or an Original Joe's.
I say again not all suburbs are the same.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:04 PM   #119
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Once the ring road is fully complete in like 3-4 years, travelling between the outskirts and suburbs will be much easier. The new section of the SW ring road has already improved the deep SW community travel times. God damn 14st can finally #### off and die.

But yes, main thing to note is Calgary is still a very car oriented city.
Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:07 PM   #120
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
How often have you been back to Calgary lately, and how long do you usually spend there? I've been in Victoria for around 13 years now. When I first moved out here, I used to go to Calgary a couple of times per year to visit family and friends and usually spend 10 days or so at a time.

That wouldn't bother me so much, except the city is so spread out and transit sucks ass, so you end up either having to own a vehicle or spending money on Ubers to get around the city.

Living in one of the beltline communities would definitely help with that, but then you also need to consider what your social circle is going to be. If you're planning on starting a family, you'll likely be spending a chunk of your time with other families, who mostly live in the suburbs and as such you're likely going to be commuting out to the suburbs to socialize or forcing them to come into the city.

Keep in mind that I'm a degenerate bachelor, so my priorities are vastly different than yours, but I decided ages ago that a move back to Calgary just didn't fit the lifestyle I like to live.
Wouldn't this be like me complaining about Victoria then describing life living in Langford?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote