Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2024, 11:02 AM   #101
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seeing Treliving talk about a coaching search is activating my trauma.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 11:49 AM   #102
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It's almost as if "trusting the process" is a meaningless word scramble
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 12:08 PM   #103
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1788991126260605069

That was fast.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 12:20 PM   #104
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Took Tre 5 words to say process. hahaha
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 02:44 PM   #105
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've always found the hangup by some on CP on the word "process" to be quite fascinating.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 02:46 PM   #106
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
I think Keefe's had one of the best regular season records ever (yes, regular season only) by any coach in the NHL during their tenure with a team. Let's see how he does on his next team, but my guess is that his reviews, once he's no longer coaching the Leafs will be quite positive from fans in Canada, assuming he continues to do well with his new team.
Old 05-10-2024, 02:46 PM   #107
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I wonder if Brendan Shanahan has dirt on Keith Pelly because that is the only explanation I can come up with on how he survived.

Naa, it's not shocking at all. How often does a new CEO come to any complex business and wipe out their right hand person? If Shanahan is the one that understands the business it wouldn't surprise me if he's provided a retainer to keep him for a year so that he can show him some of the ropes. Shanahan is responsible for this by wanting to give the big 4 another chance. I can't blame him for banking on skill and making completely sure he's exhausting it. But that's on him. He knows know it's about them, so changes will be made. Anything short of a cup final next year and no doubt Shanahan will replaced. The new CEO just can't get rid of everyone when he's new to the business and the organization. He needs Shanahan's help for the first year or so.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 02:58 PM   #108
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why would he need to give Shanny a retainer? He has another year left on his contract.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 03:16 PM   #109
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Why would he need to give Shanny a retainer? He has another year left on his contract.

True. I don't know why I thought he was expiring this year.
Old 05-10-2024, 04:16 PM   #110
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I've always found the hangup by some on CP on the word "process" to be quite fascinating.
It's quite triggering for some.
Old 05-10-2024, 05:28 PM   #111
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I think Keefe's had one of the best regular season records ever (yes, regular season only) by any coach in the NHL during their tenure with a team. Let's see how he does on his next team, but my guess is that his reviews, once he's no longer coaching the Leafs will be quite positive from fans in Canada, assuming he continues to do well with his new team.

I think jumping back in as quickly as some young coaches do is a mistake. In this case, I do think he could very well be a great coach, but he has shown nothing but piss poor performance from a post season perspective. Absorb why that may be and learn/expand from that.

If he goes to another team that is expecting serious post season success and fails, this is how you quickly earn a reputation as a loser. I think he has 2 years at $3 mil a year coming towards him so he can afford to be patient and see what happens.

A lot of these coaches, managers and sometimes players find themselves out of the league. These jobs are few and far between but it's good to be put into positions to succeed as much as possible.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 05:44 PM   #112
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh, coaching is an art and not a science. I’m any given year a coach could look brilliant and another a bum. Keefe hasn’t ever looked terrible or brilliant. He’s simply a new age coach in that he doesn’t treat players like ####. Probably to a fault because two or three brats run the team but his course was done with the Leafs. It probably wasn’t in him. Their stars just don’t go through people despite their skill. Gotta change that mix. If he had a better mix they’d do better no doubt but it is what it is. It’s the nature of the coaching biz.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 05:49 PM   #113
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I think jumping back in as quickly as some young coaches do is a mistake. In this case, I do think he could very well be a great coach, but he has shown nothing but piss poor performance from a post season perspective. Absorb why that may be and learn/expand from that.

If he goes to another team that is expecting serious post season success and fails, this is how you quickly earn a reputation as a loser. I think he has 2 years at $3 mil a year coming towards him so he can afford to be patient and see what happens.

A lot of these coaches, managers and sometimes players find themselves out of the league. These jobs are few and far between but it's good to be put into positions to succeed as much as possible.
Yeah I agree with you, plus he has his new extension kicking in this summer! Take some time and come back later when he's had some rest from the fishbowl that is Toronto and he's refreshed. He'll have options.

Edit - I also learned that coach contracts aren't like player contracts. If someone hires him before his extension expires, they don't get paid on both contracts like the players do.
Old 05-10-2024, 06:23 PM   #114
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I agree with you, plus he has his new extension kicking in this summer! Take some time and come back later when he's had some rest from the fishbowl that is Toronto and he's refreshed. He'll have options.

Edit - I also learned that coach contracts aren't like player contracts. If someone hires him before his extension expires, they don't get paid on both contracts like the players do.

No, but if there's a difference between his old contract and his new contract, then the old team has to make up the difference.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 10:02 PM   #115
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always thought Keefe was a good coach, when the GM never addresses your teams weaknesses you are not winning anything. I think he would do good in NJ.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 10:12 PM   #116
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

As for The Leafs I am hearing the same rumours as everyone else but I really think if they were smart they would try and get Joel Quenneville reinstated.
Old 05-10-2024, 10:50 PM   #117
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
As for The Leafs I am hearing the same rumours as everyone else but I really think if they were smart they would try and get Joel Quenneville reinstated.

Yeah, I think he would be a good medium of someone who is fair but a reputation of needing results. Tocchet seems to be the Babcock or Ron Wilson. While I want to see the stars held accountable to work hard in the playoffs, when you go from someone pushing buttons it can be alarming. Better to work for someone who can be demanding but fostering. I think Quenneville fits the bill (Assault situation aside).
Old 05-11-2024, 07:17 AM   #118
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

Rod Brind”Amour could be hurled free from the Hurricane’s and become the next head coach of the Leafs.
iamca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 09:09 AM   #119
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamca View Post
Rod Brind”Amour could be hurled free from the Hurricane’s and become the next head coach of the Leafs.
I don't think he is going anywhere, you never know though.
Old 05-12-2024, 06:13 PM   #120
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

McLellan watch is on!

https://twitter.com/user/status/1789713338902970565