Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2024, 08:09 AM   #101
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

This topic was on reddit a few weeks ago, so I'll copy what I wrote back then.
Spoiler!

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 04-17-2024 at 08:41 AM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 08:18 AM   #102
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
Have you had a kid lately?

https://shop.shoppersdrugmart.ca/enf...51&source=nspt

This lasts 2-3 days depending on your kids feeding.habits. you can do that math.
One of the best days as a parent is when your kid grows out of diapers and you can stop wasting money on those. It feels like you won the lottery at that point.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 08:31 AM   #103
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You are 100% right.

My only response would be I've seen so many people cut costs, save money, be very prudent with their money and then just get sick and die at a relatively young age. My grandpa was like that and passed away at 64 without ever having lived a somwhat normal life. He would just save money and buy the slashed down vegetables and other food products. Then he died.

I just can't live like that. I don't want to be prudent then one day I can't do the things I love even if I could afford to easily. While it isn't easy right now I rather live like this then the way my grandpa did.

Everyone has their priorities and almost no choice is wrong.
Oh I agree. I have no issue with people who spend every $ every paycheck. I have no issue with people who save ever $. And I fully understand the plight of affording general living standards on a single household working class income.

Unfortunently there is no actual 'solution'. Other then want higher taxes and 'free' stuff' - And I would strongly suggest no one sits around hoping for the government to save them
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 08:37 AM   #104
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Sorry, stupid post on my behalf. Apologies everyone.
I think this was a great post and topic starter, it's generated a very good discussion.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 08:43 AM   #105
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
You are 100% right.

My only response would be I've seen so many people cut costs, save money, be very prudent with their money and then just get sick and die at a relatively young age. My grandpa was like that and passed away at 64 without ever having lived a somwhat normal life. He would just save money and buy the slashed down vegetables and other food products. Then he died.

I just can't live like that. I don't want to be prudent then one day I can't do the things I love even if I could afford to easily. While it isn't easy right now I rather live like this then the way my grandpa did.

Everyone has their priorities and almost no choice is wrong.
So you're clearly cognisant you blow money on unnecessary luxuries (in the tens of thousands of dollars per year), yet the OP cries foul about a cost of living crisis. I'm struggling to conflate these two concepts.

You even used the word 'survival'. Is it essential to the human body to lay on a beach in Cancun for a month?
Old 04-17-2024, 08:46 AM   #106
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

One other thing : Saving, Budgeting and investing is addictive

So many people don't budget, don't shop good grocery deals, don't get the best cashback (I have 5 no fee CC's to maximize returns and pay them all off monthly) , cut back on impulse Starbucks, Food Delivery, etc.

But small amounts add up.

If you could save 5$ a day on aggregate ($150 a month) and get a fairly average 7% ROI, over 20 years you have $75K.

It won't help someone who is truely day to day on expenses (The only thing someone in this situation can do is increase their income - Harder done then typed I realize)

BUT : Sooooo many people just don't think 5$ here and there matters. It adds up. It adds up A LOT.

Sit down. Do a real budget. Play with a saving calculator.

Once you start 'saving' and investing you will be surprised how quickly it becomes addictive and you view spending $20 a month on Doordash (Because you've had a couch beer/joint and dont feel like getting up and making something) as removing $10,000 from your Net worth 20 years from now.

Its a change in mindset. The first step is audit 3 months of spending.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 08:50 AM   #107
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Oh great, now we've got the posts justifying stealing food. The mental gymnastics in that post are gold medal-worthy.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:51 AM   #108
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

What's saved me money is spending money on quality items and having them last a long time, particularly in clothing and tools. Buy for life, save $$$.

Also, being open to second-hand products (when I even need products) has opened up a world of savings, especially if you're a DIY'er who doesn't mind maintaining things.

Bonus points to police auctions for buying things for pennies on the dollar.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 08:52 AM   #109
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been desperately trying to blow all my savings on a vacation / retirement / work from home place for like 5 or 6 years now. I finally might be getting a foundation poured this year. Then I won't have to worry about finances anymore because I won't have any more money left. Problem solved!
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 08:56 AM   #110
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I've been desperately trying to blow all my savings on a vacation / retirement / work from home place for like 5 or 6 years now. I finally might be getting a foundation poured this year. Then I won't have to worry about finances anymore because I won't have any more money left. Problem solved!
Ah, and now a criminal lawyer is also unable to buy bread in this economy.
Old 04-17-2024, 09:02 AM   #111
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I ain't no criminal lawyer.

Or did you mean a lawyer who is also a criminal. I don't think I'm one of those, but not being a criminal lawyer, I couldn't say for sure.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 09:04 AM   #112
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I ain't no criminal lawyer.

Or did you mean a lawyer who is also a criminal. I don't think I'm one of those, but not being a criminal lawyer, I couldn't say for sure.
Yep, definitely a criminal lawyer.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 09:08 AM   #113
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
I am talking about the expensive travel to another country all-inclusive vacations, not the spend time with your family camping trips (although they certainly aren’t cheap anymore either).
Tell me about it...My overpriveleged vacation this year is a 12 day road trip to Badlands National Park and come back thru Black Hills, Yellowstone and Glacier. Tent sites at some places were touching $100 U.S a night. The ones I settled for are between $22 a $60. Even this trip will likely end up being $3000 for the 4 of us. I guess I could take the food part out since 80% of our meals will be like eating at home. I am spending a bit more on fuel because my vehicle is an 06 Chev Silverado.

So I'm sure the budget police will be happy to tell me I'd save money and get my vacation price down if I replaced it with a Tesla or a Hyundai Electric vehicle that only requires 70 grand up front plus another 3 to add an electric charge port to my house, than let's spend 35k to add a solar system...so in 15 years I can pay off all those loans and need to replace it all again as these will be obsolete and useless.
Old 04-17-2024, 09:11 AM   #114
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I quit eating meat three meals a day. Maybe I eat meat 5 times a week. Eggs and Beans are cheap.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
V
Old 04-17-2024, 09:12 AM   #115
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
$650 a month on formula? You’re having us on. Was it produced from lactating pandas?
I believe it. We have a special needs daughter and have tried every formula known to man including specialty German stuff. Wife tried dairy free and all the different kinds of diets as well while pumping and our daughter couldn't tolerate it.

The only one that worked was Neocate that costs roughly $60/can that would last 2-3 days. Alternative was she would have severe reflux, aspirate and go back to the hospital with aspiration pneumonia.

Now the Alberta government has a program called FSCD to help, however we applied shortly after our daughter (16 months now) was born and are still on a wait list for a contract. We have been approved, but no case worker yet. And they don't back pay so we can't recoup any of it.

Last edited by 3thirty; 04-17-2024 at 09:17 AM.
3thirty is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3thirty For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 09:13 AM   #116
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
One other thing : Saving, Budgeting and investing is addictive

So many people don't budget, don't shop good grocery deals, don't get the best cashback (I have 5 no fee CC's to maximize returns and pay them all off monthly) , cut back on impulse Starbucks, Food Delivery, etc.

But small amounts add up.

If you could save 5$ a day on aggregate ($150 a month) and get a fairly average 7% ROI, over 20 years you have $75K.

It won't help someone who is truely day to day on expenses (The only thing someone in this situation can do is increase their income - Harder done then typed I realize)

BUT : Sooooo many people just don't think 5$ here and there matters. It adds up. It adds up A LOT.

Sit down. Do a real budget. Play with a saving calculator.

Once you start 'saving' and investing you will be surprised how quickly it becomes addictive and you view spending $20 a month on Doordash (Because you've had a couch beer/joint and dont feel like getting up and making something) as removing $10,000 from your Net worth 20 years from now.

Its a change in mindset. The first step is audit 3 months of spending.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kVrAPX1vtc
Old 04-17-2024, 09:14 AM   #117
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Tell me about it...My overpriveleged vacation this year is a 12 day road trip to Badlands National Park and come back thru Black Hills, Yellowstone and Glacier. Tent sites at some places were touching $100 U.S a night. The ones I settled for are between $22 a $60. Even this trip will likely end up being $3000 for the 4 of us. I guess I could take the food part out since 80% of our meals will be like eating at home. I am spending a bit more on fuel because my vehicle is an 06 Chev Silverado.

So I'm sure the budget police will be happy to tell me I'd save money and get my vacation price down if I replaced it with a Tesla or a Hyundai Electric vehicle that only requires 70 grand up front plus another 3 to add an electric charge port to my house, than let's spend 35k to add a solar system...so in 15 years I can pay off all those loans and need to replace it all again as these will be obsolete and useless.

Holy crap! We camp for most of our vacations, but sites are at most, $33 a night. I guess I should be grateful for well-funded state parks here? (Oregon). 31 nights over the summer and the total for our sites is roughly $800.
gallione11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 09:14 AM   #118
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also keep my house brutally uncomfortably cold.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 09:15 AM   #119
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I quit eating meat three meals a day. Maybe I eat meat 5 times a week. Eggs and Beans are cheap.
I remember a reddit thread that was something along the lines of "What do you enjoy doing that your kids won't be able to do"

My answer was eating meat
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 09:20 AM   #120
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_calderon View Post
Oh great, now we've got the posts justifying stealing food. The mental gymnastics in that post are gold medal-worthy.
Probably my post you are referring to, so care to break down what award-winning mental gymnastics I am jumping through? I never justified stealing food, just stating that I saw evidence of people doing it and high unjustified costs can lead certain people down that road.

If it's not my post your referring to, then nvm, carry on .
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post: