Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2024, 10:05 PM   #101
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
That was a critical loss. One positive thing though is that I was taking a look at Tampa's roster when they sucked and ended up drafting Drouin before bouncing back and you could see guys like Palat, Johnson, Gudas, and Killorn got a solid taste of the NHL at 21/22 before coming back the next season and being important pieces on a 102 point team.

Hopefully Zary, Pospisil, Coronato, Pelletier, and Solovyov can get themselves established this season and be (or for Zary and Pospisil continue to be) contributors next year for a stronger push.

Also, with some lottery luck or even just by dropping to draft 6 or 7, I think they can get a 1C or 1D in this draft.
Unless we're drafting two 1st overall picks in the next few years, I can't even begin to comprehend how you can begin to look at Tampa as a comparable.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2024, 10:08 PM   #102
camm13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
This one hurts but I don’t see it as some kind of nail on the decision making coffin for management.

They’re still only four points out. The sun will come up tomorrow. And there’s a chance they’re only two points after Thursdays game against a weak team.

28 and 8 get dealt. 55 will re-sign.

Nothing else is gonna happen.
A weak team that's already beaten the Flames earlier in the season, just like the game after with Chicago.
camm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 10:10 PM   #103
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
For him or his contract? For him?.......absolutely. He's elite this season. His NMC may play a factor, however.
Has he been elite? If you look at NHL goalies this season who have played in as many games as Markstrom (26) he's tenth in GAA and eighth in save percentage. He's a top ten goalie for sure, but elite? Come on now.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 10:11 PM   #104
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aw, man.

Had me fooled with "find a way". Didn't watch till the end.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 10:12 PM   #105
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, this team. Sometimes they're really fun to watch and easy to cheer for. Other times they just look awful and the lack of top end skill really bites them in the arse.

Meanwhile, the Oilers have fluked their way back into the playoff picture thanks to the softest schedule I've ever seen.

direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2024, 10:12 PM   #106
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
This one hurts but I don’t see it as some kind of nail on the decision making coffin for management.

They’re still only four points out. The sun will come up tomorrow. And there’s a chance they’re only two points after Thursdays game against a weak team.

28 and 8 get dealt. 55 will re-sign.

Nothing else is gonna happen.
for once, can the Flames have more intellectual honesty than this?
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 10:13 PM   #107
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

I stopped watching at 3-1 to get some work done. Classic.....
Samonadreau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 10:19 PM   #108
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Unless we're drafting two 1st overall picks in the next few years, I can't even begin to comprehend how you can begin to look at Tampa as a comparable.
My point is that if teams use seasons like this to get young, non-star players a chance to get used to the league then those players can become impactful very quickly.

Your comprehension will improve if you stop making assumptions.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 10:21 PM   #109
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thankfully the last two losses helped me come to the conclusion that this year's team doesn't have what it takes to make it in over the handful of teams competing for the WC. Just enough to be in the picture.

So not disappointed given that the result falls in line with that conclusion.

It's good to at least have a sense of what the team is finally, after teetering back and forth. Hopefully management's next moves reflect that same awareness.

Team needs to get younger, faster and more talented. No other way around it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2024, 10:24 PM   #110
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

You just know they are going to win the next 2 and stay enough in the mix before the break.
Samonadreau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 10:29 PM   #111
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Thankfully the last two losses helped me come to the conclusion that this year's team doesn't have what it takes to make it in over the handful of teams competing for the WC. Just enough to be in the picture.

So not disappointed given that the result falls in line with that conclusion.

It's good to at least have a sense of what the team is finally, after teetering back and forth. Hopefully management's next moves reflect that same awareness.

Team needs to get younger, faster and more talented. No other way around it.
I think that having played an extra couple of games was making them look a little better than they were too. By points percentage they have remained below some of these teams that they passed in total points.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2024, 10:30 PM   #112
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
You just know they are going to win the next 2 and stay enough in the mix before the break.
I haven't cheered for losses at any point along the way.

But darn if I won't be disappointed if they drop those two games and make a statement to the guys upstairs on what to do.
Old 01-23-2024, 10:39 PM   #113
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
Has he been elite? If you look at NHL goalies this season who have played in as many games as Markstrom (26) he's tenth in GAA and eighth in save percentage. He's a top ten goalie for sure, but elite? Come on now.
#6 in the league in goals saved above expectation. He's the team's MVP. He's been elite. Look at tonight, 4 goals against, 2 tipped in by his own players. A breakaway. He's not letting in muffins this season.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2024, 10:42 PM   #114
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

and, he stopped - what? - 3 breakaways?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
atb
Old 01-23-2024, 10:43 PM   #115
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
#6 in the league in goals saved above expectation. He's the team's MVP. He's been elite. Look at tonight, 4 goals against, 2 tipped in by his own players. A breakaway. He's not letting in muffins this season.
He really isn't, and I've been trying real hard to get in.
Old 01-23-2024, 10:44 PM   #116
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
and, he stopped - what? - 3 breakaways?
Plus a few other grade A chances. Binnington was good too but faced nowhere near as many top chances.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 10:47 PM   #117
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Markstrom was great to start the game but struggled in the second and third period. Was fighting the puck for most of that time.

One guy who also struggled tonight was Kadri. He’s had a good season so far with the youngsters on his line but at times he’s a little frustrating to watch with the young guys. If any of you have played beer league with a guy that is the best player on the team and he knows it and tries to do it all himself… that’s what Kadri sometimes reminds me of. If you play on a line with that guy he only passes you the puck as an absolute last resort and he gets frustrated with you if you don’t give him the puck when he wants it. Granted, a guy like that will put up points and even get you points when you play with him but it can be frustrating for everyone… especially when he is off his game. I could be wrong but I honestly don’t think Kadri made a single pass to Coronato tonight. I was trying to watch for one because I have noticed Kadri do this sometimes and I really don’t think he made one. And there were a few plays where it looked like the obvious play and he don’t do it.

Not trying to knock the guy too bad… Zary and Posposil have had great seasons with him and I do think he is trying to be more a leader this year. But games like this one, that side of him is noticeable to me. Too bad because I thought both Zary and Coronato had good games.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 10:49 PM   #118
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

From a few days ago.............

He may not get traded, but it's not because he wouldn't be very useful to most teams in the league. (cough*NJ*cough)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1748770919068127609
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 10:52 PM   #119
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone on the forum tried to make a case to me the other week that this team was solid defensively, or at least not in the lower end of the pack based on some advanced metrics.

I still vehemently disagree. The eye test can't be ignored with this group.. nothing about their structure instills confidence. Probably because there is little structure to be observed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2024, 10:57 PM   #120
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Can you imagine how bad they would be if they did not have a fun coach and kept going like last year. Zary and Pospisil would be lighting up the AHL while the Flames had Lucic and some other 37 year old character scrub taking up time in the top 6. Small blessings this year that we don’t have to watch senior citizens mail it in.
As a senior citizen......nah, you're right.