Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2009, 05:03 PM   #101
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wouldn't they be better if you did them in the oven?
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:03 PM   #102
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

^^^ I've tried microwaved chocolate cake before that had a slightly rubber-ish texture, but was still quite edible and tasty. Cool for an experiment in the kitchen.

Here's the recipe for that...
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Mi...ke/Detail.aspx

In terms of the potato chips, wouldn't using the broiler in your oven for a minute or two on each side give you better crispiness? I'm just guessing, as I haven't tried homemade potato chips myself. In terms of seasoning, just a dash of paprika or some freshly chopped rosemary could be really nice.

Edit: GreenTeaFrapp, great minds think alike!

Last edited by Kipper is King; 03-08-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Kipper is King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:09 PM   #103
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTeaFrapp View Post
Wouldn't they be better if you did them in the oven?
too lazy and ADD! oven baking potato chips at the right temperature takes like 1.5 hours to get all the moisture out. If you just put slices in the oven for a short time, you basically get Mccain oven soggy fries. It's not like toast. Freshly sliced potatoes have a ton of moisture in them. Nuking food is for snack attacks and I have no patience.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 03-08-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:11 PM   #104
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

With thinly sliced potatos, the broiler is high heat enough that it would work quickly methinks. Also, it should remove enough of the moisture to make them crisp.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:14 PM   #105
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
With thinly sliced potatos, the broiler is high heat enough that it would work quickly methinks. Also, it should remove enough of the moisture to make them crisp.
No, even on high heat, it takes about twice as long (30 minutes) and the edges can burn before the center dries up. Because the slices are in for so long, even with liberal spray or margerine, the soggy bits end up clinging to the oven rack and it makes a mess. Basically the part that is bad is how uneven it is. You have to take chips out that are done already out of the oven and leave others in.

This works if you use aluminum foil and grease a pan well and incorporate flipping but that means more fat and again - more dishes for me to do. It's all about convenience really. I don't want to have to wash a greasy pan as well or wait that extra 15 minutes.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 03-08-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #106
KielC
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I am looking to buy a new kitchen knife.

Chef or Santoku?
KielC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:19 PM   #107
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KielC View Post

Chef or Santoku?
Miracle Blade II !!!

I mean, if you watch the guy on TV. You can fillet a tomato! Wait...why would you ever fillet a tomato skin? It's because it's easy and a TV trick to make you buy knives.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:20 PM   #108
boobaloo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Chef or Santoku?

Santoku...got one a few months ago, and can't live without it now
boobaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:22 PM   #109
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

As an addon to my post about making your own chips, my cheap starfrit slicer thing is getting dull and a headache. Are there any good and efficient and really sharp slicers out their for harder vegetables (like potatoes) or something I can look into? What about a dicing machine? I'm getting sick of dicing onions and peppers and tomatoes the old fashioned way.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:24 PM   #110
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Get a good quality mandolin for your slicing.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:39 PM   #111
Flickered Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
What about a dicing machine? I'm getting sick of dicing onions and peppers and tomatoes the old fashioned way.
Before my ex-wife took off with all my kitchen tools, I had something similar to this. It worked like a charm.

http://www.kitchenniche.ca/zyliss-fr...cturers_id=122
Flickered Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:01 PM   #112
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:

Chef or Santoku?
Santokus I like because of how the gaps do help the food separate as you're chopping/slicing.

Also, I have been doing a lot of research into getting a knife myself. So far, I want to get a Global knife. They're made from one solid block of steel, and they're sharp as a laser if properly maintained. The biggest reason I like Global is how lightweight their knives are, and apparently they are easier to maintain than Wursthof and Henkels and the other heavier steel knives. ( I read that in Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential, I forget his explanation as to why maintaining them was easier, but he gushes about how wicked Global's knives are).

I tried one out in Williams Sonoma (which is a good idea, but don't buy from there- the markup is massive). That knife was sweet, I'm saving up for one!

Last edited by Kipper is King; 03-08-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Kipper is King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:43 PM   #113
KielC
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
Also, I have been doing a lot of research into getting a knife myself. So far, I want to get a Global knife.
Global is what I have been looking at too. I just couldn't decide between chefs or Santoku.

The non fluted Santoku is on sale right now at this site and has free shipping to Canada.

http://www.creativecookware.com/global_knives.htm
KielC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KielC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2009, 08:01 PM   #114
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Girl View Post
I just tried one of Giada's recipes for Sundried pesto and it is awful. I can't figure out if it's my fault or what, but it smells awful, looks awful, tastes awful.

Depends if you are a fan of pesto or not. Me, I am not.

Actually, I do use pesto in some layered dips that I make. The one with goat cheese, layered with pesto and sundried tomatoes, topped with pine nuts and cranberries is nice. Otherwise, I rarely use pesto.

Last edited by redforever; 03-08-2009 at 08:04 PM.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:12 PM   #115
Morozee
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Here's a Tzatziki Sauce recipe we make all the time. Great as a dip, or spread on sandwiches, or burgers or pita's.

2 Cloves Crushed Garlic
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
1/4 Cup of Lemon Juice
2 Grated Cucumbers, Remove seeds first (about a cup after it's strained)
2 Cups of Plain Unsweetened Yogurt or Sour Cream (I usually use one of each, depending on what's in the fridge of course. I prefer it with at least one cup of yogurt.)
Salt and Pepper to taste.

The trick for this recipe is to put your shredded cucumber in a strainer and drain most of the water. Usually takes an hour or so, and at the end I kinda help it along by pressing with a spoon against the strainer. If you don't do this your tzatziki will be very watery. So once this is done, mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and voila. It can be served right away, but it is 10 times better if you let it sit in the fridge over night.

Morozee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:31 PM   #116
ma-skis.com
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Chef or Santoku?
chef, but that's because I like the rock and not the chop. made me stray away from my dad's old style cleaver too.

Keep in mind, unless you are some kind of serious knife chef fanatic, spending too much on a knife can be a waste of money, I know a few people who use there knives excessively and just by a cheaper but good quality knife that they can use to cut things and not feel bad, If you spend too much on a knife you'll find you'll be scared to cut anything with it except celery and green onions so you don't ruin the blade.

I just use one of those generic chefs knives you find in any commercial kitchen, about 30 bucks and keeps an edge for quite a while in the house, probably because i don't cut 90 pounds of chicken a day either thought.
ma-skis.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:12 AM   #117
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have purchased most of my knives at this source. I find them much cheaper than any Calgary outlet, even with the difference in the dollar calculated in.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/

Personally, I love a Santoku knife, most of mine are made by Wusthof.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:23 PM   #118
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Girl View Post
I just tried one of Giada's recipes for Sundried pesto and it is awful. I can't figure out if it's my fault or what, but it smells awful, looks awful, tastes awful.
Is it possible one of your ingredients was bad/rancid? I'm guessing it's probably got the standard stuff in it - sundried tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, parmesan, pine nuts. Nothing there that should smell bad. So unless she's added some weird ingredient like anchovies, I'm guessing you put something in that was past its prime.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:49 PM   #119
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Pesto is another of those overrated foods, maybe there is an exquisite one somewhere but of the billion times I have had it it has been average to poor every time. How can something so greasy be so dry and rough to eat. And whats with the jars of the premade stuff at safeway et al, may as well puree and jar some dog crap and bile.
Couldn't agree more. Pesto sucks.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #120
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Pesto is another of those overrated foods, maybe there is an exquisite one somewhere but of the billion times I have had it it has been average to poor every time. How can something so greasy be so dry and rough to eat. And whats with the jars of the premade stuff at safeway et al, may as well puree and jar some dog crap and bile.
I haven't tried most commercial pestos because they use nuts other then pine nuts but Costco has a pretty good pesto. I tend to prefer pesto when it's added to a tomato or cream sauce. But sometimes I like it plain on regular pasta as a quick meal.

Tags
cooking , food , kitchen