Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2014, 06:20 PM   #101
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubamaker View Post
I guess this chart has some old info. They also just announced on facebook they are starting a Saskatoon show in September.

Spoiler!
Yeah, it's not really fair to compare our 2014 with other people's 2012s and 2013s when everyone is growing.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:48 AM   #102
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The show was awesome for us. I felt like this guy:

Except I got to be in there for 10 hours a day for 3 and half days.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2014, 11:58 AM   #103
LouCypher
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Managed to spend a couple days at the Expo, caught the parade as well. I know a few times during the weekend I had the thought that with the size of the show and sheer amount of people I was seeing that we would get pretty close to the 100k mark. This thing has grown so much each year, its incredible. I took quite a few pics figured I should share the link here to them on Flickr, enjoy: https://www.flickr.com/photos/samura...7644416114202/
LouCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:48 PM   #104
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great shots,

Once question - What is that kid supposed to be? Fissure of the nipple cloud?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/samura...7644416114202/
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:17 PM   #105
LouCypher
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Great shots,

Thanks!

Hehehe Im still trying to figure that out, I could figure out almost any costume but that kid is a mystery.
LouCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:53 PM   #106
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouCypher View Post
Thanks!

Hehehe Im still trying to figure that out, I could figure out almost any costume but that kid is a mystery.
Hulk Hogan...with roids but without tanning bed.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:34 PM   #107
MrPlow
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Great shots,

Spoiler!

He's a character from the oatmeal comic strip. He's a lazy sub conscious. (spoiler - big picture)

Pretty clever!
MrPlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:12 PM   #108
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubamaker View Post
I guess this chart has some old info. They also just announced on facebook they are starting a Saskatoon show in September.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Yeah, it's not really fair to compare our 2014 with other people's 2012s and 2013s when everyone is growing.
The Calgary expo is growing but it's not even close to SDCC or NYCC. Those cities have been physically capped for quite a few years now by the amount of space but they are by far the more popular events. We have passes on sale for many months while San Diego and NYCC sell out in a matter of days/hours.

Heck, it about two hours for SDCC now because they instituted a random lobby service to "pick" and checkout the lucky people who get passes. Previously trying to get San Diego Comic-Con LITERALLY came down to clicking within a one second window when the website opened up. That kind of interest is also why so many big panels and heavy hitters (toys, video games, collectors, artists, etc.) show up each and every year to those cities. We still have a lot of small or local companies that show up and basically dump stagnant stock or are out there trying to get their name out. I'm not even sure why some of the more esoteric ones are at a Comic Expo.

Don't get me wrong, it's great to see the Calgary one growing. The "exposed" events are awesome if you are into what they're bringing into town. But if you like the whole comic/pop culture expo thing - definitely hit up New York or San Diego at least once if you can (and afford it with the air travel and hotel costs). But it's not really even fair to compare against those two.

I spent part (most?) of a day hitting the show floor in Calgary and was pretty much done. Not sure why, but there was a booth selling heat packs of all things - picked one up for giggles. Meanwhile, I'll spend the 5 days at SDCC and still feel like I might have missed out on a ton of booths and stuff going on around the convention center there. Could easily spend more than a full week wandering around if they kept it open that long.

However, if you really want the autographs or photo ops - it is WAY better in Calgary. It really isn't feasible at either SDCC or NYCC.

EDIT: Here is a link to the Exhibitors from 2013 for SDCC. Looking forward to the day when Calgary is "big" enough to get dedicated booths bringing their latest/upcoming stuff like: Lucasfilm, Hasbro, IDW, Dark Horse, Marvel, DC, Sideshow, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, etc . . .

http://www.comic-con.org/sites/defau...b_hall_map.pdf

Last edited by chemgear; 05-02-2014 at 11:23 PM.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:00 PM   #109
RicoLance21
Draft Pick

S##t Cosplayers Say - Calgary version

I've spent quite a bit of time filming cosplayers. The remaining two days have been mostly hanging around with groups of friends there. Since I have a full-time job, editing more than 50 videos is quite a cumbersome experience. Yesterday, I just finished it and it is now up on YouTube. Enjoy

RicoLance21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RicoLance21 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2014, 01:41 AM   #110
RicoLance21
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
The Calgary expo is growing but it's not even close to SDCC or NYCC. Those cities have been physically capped for quite a few years now by the amount of space but they are by far the more popular events. We have passes on sale for many months while San Diego and NYCC sell out in a matter of days/hours.

Heck, it about two hours for SDCC now because they instituted a random lobby service to "pick" and checkout the lucky people who get passes. Previously trying to get San Diego Comic-Con LITERALLY came down to clicking within a one second window when the website opened up. That kind of interest is also why so many big panels and heavy hitters (toys, video games, collectors, artists, etc.) show up each and every year to those cities. We still have a lot of small or local companies that show up and basically dump stagnant stock or are out there trying to get their name out. I'm not even sure why some of the more esoteric ones are at a Comic Expo.

Don't get me wrong, it's great to see the Calgary one growing. The "exposed" events are awesome if you are into what they're bringing into town. But if you like the whole comic/pop culture expo thing - definitely hit up New York or San Diego at least once if you can (and afford it with the air travel and hotel costs). But it's not really even fair to compare against those two.

I spent part (most?) of a day hitting the show floor in Calgary and was pretty much done. Not sure why, but there was a booth selling heat packs of all things - picked one up for giggles. Meanwhile, I'll spend the 5 days at SDCC and still feel like I might have missed out on a ton of booths and stuff going on around the convention center there. Could easily spend more than a full week wandering around if they kept it open that long.

However, if you really want the autographs or photo ops - it is WAY better in Calgary. It really isn't feasible at either SDCC or NYCC.

EDIT: Here is a link to the Exhibitors from 2013 for SDCC. Looking forward to the day when Calgary is "big" enough to get dedicated booths bringing their latest/upcoming stuff like: Lucasfilm, Hasbro, IDW, Dark Horse, Marvel, DC, Sideshow, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, etc . . .

http://www.comic-con.org/sites/defau...b_hall_map.pdf
In what way? Line-up or price?
RicoLance21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:23 AM   #111
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

The entire Aliens Exposed panel:

I had to miss the Expo this year so I am glad I could still see the Aliens panel. Looked like a blast!
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2014, 12:17 PM   #112
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoLance21 View Post
In what way? Line-up or price?
It's not like Calgary where you can pre order up what you want online (and then still be able to buy passes to attend that particular day). You're basically lining up that day (already in attendance) for a generally a random draw given the massive interest and limited opportunity.

The draws/line-ups/methods do vary but some of the waiting or line ups mean you're missing out on other things like panels or just walking the floor. Which again are substantially more in demand and interesting than what we have in Calgary. Hell, people line up the day(s?) prior just to get into the infamous Hall H where the heavy hitter panels always take place.

Again, this is the line up just for one room.

chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
woot